Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,998 members, 7,799,427 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

"How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question (70701 Views)

This Type Of Resume Can Get You Interview Invites. Stand Out!!! / This Type Of Resume Can Get You Interview Invites. Stand Out!!! / Why Do You Want Us To Employ You? Interview Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by YoungDaNaval(m): 5:39pm On Oct 11, 2014
Deepfreezer:

Believe me for the past 2years I've worked with 3 different companys.
how did I get my jobs?
question=how much do we pay you.
answer= Sir/madam any amount the company offers me is ok. I just want a chance to contribute to the growth of this great company.
noted! I'm Learning.

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 5:42pm On Oct 11, 2014
Rilwayne001:
[b] Truth is, if you’re interviewing for entry level position, you have practically no say in the pay. Almost 100% of companies have their pay structure and know how much they will pay you already. If Zenith bank, for instance, pays entry level employees N3m per annum, you can’t get more than that,except you have relevant experience. So most times, at entry level positions, this question is inconsequential, but it may be your undoing. Imagine asking for N10m as entry level in GTB – it can annoy your interviewer and an otherwise inconsequential question can mar your chance. Personally, I –and people I know that are top management staff in big organizations – always advise that you don’t say an amount. Respond with something like: “ABC Plc is a well-structured organization and I believe you will fairly place me where I fit within the structure (knowing full well that you’re entry level), with commensurate remuneration.” But if pressed further, you can state a sum, preferably a range, which you must have researched. A good way to research is to ask people that work in the organization what entry level pay is or you put a thread in a forum like Nairaland, where you are guaranteed of good
response. You may add 1 or 2m on top. For example, you know Ecobank pays N3m for entry level position, you may call 4m for them at the interview. If however you have some special skills or qualifications, you can charge a premium for that. For example, you have CFA, very marketable qualification, you can be daring and request for pay that is more than what is ordinarily obtainable for that position. Or you are coming withImperial or Harvard certificate. Experienced hires are also in good position to negotiate.... [/b]

www.nairaland.com/1245277/common-interview-questions-answer-tips

Thanks!!!
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Chuks16(m): 5:47pm On Oct 11, 2014
YoungDaNaval:
Can You Please Explain Further?

they should pay me from the range of 100,000-999,000
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by tmodeltoluene(m): 5:47pm On Oct 11, 2014
This was the tricked I used when I was employed as a civil enginner in one of the fast food company. At the last round of the interview, which is the salary negotiation stage, we were 4 apllicants standing while all other applivants have been eliminated at the previous stages.
So during this last interview, I was the last applicant to be interviewed while others have been interviewed but they were still waiting gisting I was also gusting with them, so during the course of gisting , I asked them how was the interview and they told me fine and I asked each of them about their salary negotiation and each of them told me exactly the salary range he requested for. so when i was called in for my own saalry negotiation I gave the interviwer a price 10k cheaper than what my colleagues have asked for. 2 days later i was called to come and resume.....was so happy being the only successful and employed applicant.
Advice...most company nowadays dont have salary structure, most employee salary are being based on negotiation. Pls use your discretion to weigh the company and what their turn out could be monthly and the salary they would be capable of paying.
Thanks may God help us all.

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 5:49pm On Oct 11, 2014
Deepfreezer:

Believe me for the past 2years I've worked with 3 different companys.
how did I get my jobs?
question=how much do we pay you.
answer= Sir/madam any amount the company offers me is ok. I just want a chance to contribute to the growth of this great company.

Am afraid using this approach o. One could end up being paid a meagre amount o sad

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by zicoraads: 5:52pm On Oct 11, 2014
They were silly to have told you. The least I might do is tell the questions asked, not what my answers were.

Its all good though, you used their st.up.idity to your advantage. The end sometimes justifies the means afterall.
tmodeltoluene:
This was the tricked I used when I was employed as a civil enginner in one of the fast food company. At the last round of the interview, which is the salary negotiation stage, we were 4 apllicants standing while all other applivants have been eliminated at the previous stages.
So during this last interview, I was the last applicant to be interviewed while others have been interviewed but they were still waiting gisting I was also gusting with them, so during the course of gisting , I asked them how was the interview and they told me fine and I asked each of them about their salary negotiation and each of them told me exactly the salary range he requested for. so when i was called in for my own saalry negotiation I gave the interviwer a price 10k cheaper than what my colleagues have asked for. 2 days later i was called to come and resume.....was so happy being the only successful and employed applicant.
Advice...most company nowadays dont have salary structure, most employee salary are being based on negotiation. Pls use your discretion to weigh the company and what their turn out could be monthly and the salary they would be capable of paying.
Thanks may God help us all.

3 Likes

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Deepfreezer(m): 5:53pm On Oct 11, 2014
Kentnickole:

Am afraid using this approach o. One could end up being paid a meagre amount o sad
that's not true bro. besides you can turn down the offer if you were offered something below ur expectation.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by zicoraads: 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2014
Cecediva durling kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by tellwisdom: 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2014
genchukky:
most legitimate companies have policies,so an interviewer cannot just come and share your salary into three because as soon as you start working in the company you will know these policies,and the interviewer might lose his job and even go to jail grin grin

Bro, from your previous illustration, you are indirectly asking the interviewer to answer his question meant for a purported applicant, which to me, doesn't speak well. At least, say something and then allow him tell to you how much he thinks it ought to be from the company's salary plan. Shikina.

Abeg no use question dey answer question o. E dey annoy some people gan ni
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by thekrine: 5:55pm On Oct 11, 2014
Hello,

I am not a supporter of the 'I know you have a structure of what you pay and I will accept whatever it is' type answer.

When a recruiter asks you what your salary expectation is, they really do need to know what you want to earn. I find it quite annoying when I ask potential employees this question and they start pretending like money does not matter. Most times I throw out a ridiculous figure as the salary 'package' on offer to see a gasp and their true reaction about money.

Money matters and it is from that same salary that you will transport yourself to work, feed and basically have a life. Thus, during your interview please do not act like you can 'manage' whatever they offer you. Your circumstance may not be same as the other individuals in the organisation. Your level of skills might be a game changer for the organisation and they may be willing to ignore their structure.

Have a figure in mind and mention that figure to them. If they cannot pay you that much, they will tell you so and if you are a very good candidate for the job, a negotiation will ensue.

I have been part of recruitment processes where budgeted sums for salary had to be increased slightly to accommodate the individual because of their own unique circumstance. It also matters that you let them know you are open to consider what they have to offer.

If you currently have a job, a good standpoint to negotiate from is to use what you currently earn. If you will be doing more at this new job and bringing in new expertise, use that as your reason for demanding more than what you earned at your last job. Perhaps you may have to also pay more in transportation.

For recent graduates, this is one a lot of us shy away from but I think I am right when I say the average salary on a first job in Nigeria is roughly N80k/month (and in most cases it is way lower than this). I am sure if we take a poll here very few people earned that much on their first job. Some organisations will start you off on a salary like this and increase after 6 months or so. Salaries in Nigeria are not great; that is the reality so do not blow your chances by saying "as a graduate I expect to earn nothing less than 150k"; I hear this a lot and it's normally an interview killer.

I recently interviewed someone for a role and her response to the salary offer was 'wow, that is poor'. She called a week later to say she had not heard back from us. Of cos I couldn't call back an individual that already seemed unhappy with the salary a potential employer can afford to pay.

Say what you want to earn and also ensure you inform the recruiter (and your disposition shows) that you are willing to consider what is on offer. Always give a figure.

genchukky:
The simple answer is,there is a particular salary structure for every department in a company,so when you are asked the question,tell your interviewer that the post you are seeking for has a payment structure the company offers and you will be ok accepting that plan............but make sure u have an idea of the salary structure before going for the interview..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 6:02pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ok friends and advisors! What if the only current or closest-to-date experience you have is teaching plus some professional qualifications (only on paper) for which you hv no experience (as in using them to work) yet; and you just got thru wt your NYSC... And no post NYSC experience, but hv some random experiences even before gaining admission into varsity some years back... Does one hv the "right" to bargain and can such person pursue employment in most of top well paid companies in naija today?

If you understand my scenerio above, you can help suggest what such person should do.

However, if the scenerio above is clumsy, please ask me where ur nt clear so I can lighten it nd hv ur helpful tip(s).

Thanks to YOU ALL !!!

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by genchukky(m): 6:04pm On Oct 11, 2014
tellwisdom:

Bro, from your previous illustration, you are indirectly asking the interviewer to answer his question meant for a purported applicant, which to me, doesn't speak well. At least, say something and then allow him tell to you how much he thinks it ought to be from the company's salary plan. Shikina.

Abeg no use question dey answer question o. E dey annoy some people gan ni
simply put,before the interviewer ask you how much you want to be paid,he already knows the answer because it is in the company's policy,so you are not telling him to answer his own question,instead he's asking you a question he knows the answer to,just to know how greedy you are,while you are playing safe by stating the obvious.....
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Gorgeous58(f): 6:05pm On Oct 11, 2014
$10,000 weekly
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 11, 2014
I don't believe in "confidently" churning out a number. There are three possibilities - you come in too low (leading them to think that you're obviously not that good), too high (they can't afford you), or a right on expectation. Let's face it, what are the odds of hitting a target at their highest optimal range? It's why I feel it isn't in your best interest to reveal a number. Let them be the first.

Once they've said the number, don't say "yes" right away, even if they've exceeded your expectation - repeat the number out loud (so they know you've heard it), and then look thoughtful and count to ten slowly in your head. SILENCE is the single most powerful tool in negotiating anything ( just try it the next time you make a large purchase smiley). Tthe odds are very good that before you reach 5, they will up their offer. If no second offer is forthcoming, and their first offer is reasonable and/or above market value: Accept it. In the event their first offer is well below your worth, you can confidently and cordially say something to the effect of: "I would very much would like to work with you and help you to achieve your goals. Unfortunately, I simply can't afford to do so at this rate of pay, but I do sincerely appreciate your consideration". And SHH again! smiley That is : S -tand, "H -appy" smile, H -andshake, and make a beeline for the door. They may just call you a while later having 'found' the funding to give you a much better offer...or they may not, but you leave knowing they couldn't meet your expectations and you go out to find a better fit.

Side Note: NEVER tell what you're currently making. Say instead, "I will not refuse a reasonable offer". If pressed further for your current pay (and they very well could, so as to create a basis for what they'll pay you), explain that you signed a non-disclosure agreement with your employer that covers all confidential information. Reiterate the confidentiality of compensation packages. Tell then you have no intention of violating either the letter or spirit of that agreement - you gave your word! wink Let them try to counter that! Heck, they may even view your rigidity and adherence to confidentiality as a boon.

5 Likes

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Saraha1(f): 6:11pm On Oct 11, 2014
Zehner:
Excuse me! I was asked this question in practically all the interview I have attended and trust me when I say they weren't small firms.
Eh- eh, tell me somethinh.
I reject such question oh , ha, wetin?
They should just fellow their company policy and stop asking rubbish question as such.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 6:11pm On Oct 11, 2014
Chuks16:
answer: pay me in six digits

Lolss! Bro some will insist u specify...
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Deepfreezer(m): 6:15pm On Oct 11, 2014
Truckpusher:
Funny indeed.
You've not met some interviewers that interviews you as if he owns the company.
I tried this same thing you did and this guy that knew me too well and my family looked straight into my eyes and he said "Are you seriously telling me that this whole thing isn't about the money"? I pretended not hear and he said to me "this is a question". And I replied with a smile that the question is too harsh. grin
Everyone laughed because something in my eyes betrayed my true feelings......Yes it was all about the money. grin
hahahahahaha. stand firm and tell him or her yes. that ur passion for the job is ur drive not money.
mantain that you just want to work.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Ninilowo(m): 6:17pm On Oct 11, 2014
annoymous:

Well, what I did (like a month ago) was to ask from people I know what the pay is like for that position. I told them I wanted something in that range but that I was pretty flexible. However, when I finally got the job, they offered me what I requested and a little more but Oliver Twist me, i decided to negotiate and they increased it even further. So what you specify is not necessarily what you'll get especially if they like you.
We are talking of MIKE ADENUGA and those fierce CHEVRON guys here. This can't work with those pple. You gat to be precise or specific.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 6:29pm On Oct 11, 2014
Hadizam:
I attended an interview with one INGO and was asked this question by the HR, and the position I applied is for experience hire, what I told them is N450,000-N500,000 per month.

Were you offered the job in the end?
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by marvelito: 6:31pm On Oct 11, 2014
genchukky:
most legitimate companies have policies,so an interviewer cannot just come and share your salary into three because as soon as you start working in the company you will know these policies,and the interviewer might lose his job and even go to jail grin grin
most top companies hire experts to handle interviews. They r hardly staff of same company.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by egopersonified(f): 6:34pm On Oct 11, 2014
MaziOmenuko:

If the pay structure isn't available after your research, then grade yourself depending on what you have to offer and, most importantly, the scale of the company and its location.
For a position that didn't require years of experience; mostly entry level, 80k - 100k comes to mind. I mentioned location because from my little experience working in Lagos, accommodation and transportation is more demanding. Someone earning 60k at Umuahia will have a better savings and better quality of life than someone earning 80k at Lagos.

For a position that required you to have 1 or 2 certification and expertise, this is where it becomes tricky. They are hiring you because you had a masters (which costs nothing less than 300k to acquire), or because you have a NEBOSH certification in safety, or a certified QMS officer, Plant designer, Chartered Accountant, Programmer or you have up to 5 years of working experience; then place yourself in an assist managerial level and demand 180k - 250k for the start.

I don't support the idea of asking a HR to pay you according to their scale. There's a reason the question was thrown at you; don't throw it back to them! And, I keep saying this, what if their salary scale is 40k per month?

The bolded is what I intended typing. Some of these companies have old staff who are still being paid a salary scheme created over twenty years ago. This scheme still applies to old staff but they know this is too small for new staff with the present economy, so they ask this question to have an idea of what is tenable to the interviewee. These 'chevron' staff are paid more than the old staff but do the same job.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Chuks16(m): 6:38pm On Oct 11, 2014
Kentnickole:

Lolss! Bro some will insist u specify...

if that's the case let them pay me 999,000
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 6:40pm On Oct 11, 2014
Truckpusher:
Funny indeed.
You've not met some interviewers that interviews you as if he owns the company.
I tried this same thing you did and this guy that knew me too well and my family looked straight into my eyes and he said "Are you seriously telling me that this whole thing isn't about the money"? I pretended not hear and he said to me "this is a question". And I replied with a smile that the question is too harsh. grin
Everyone laughed because something in my eyes betrayed my true feelings......Yes it was all about the money. grin

Chai ! That guy no want ur progress o
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 6:42pm On Oct 11, 2014
Chuks16:

if that's the case let them pay me 999,000

Chai ! Work at stake oh
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Chuks16(m): 6:46pm On Oct 11, 2014
Kentnickole:

Chai ! Work at stake oh

how, am I not been specific?
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Skyfornia(m): 6:55pm On Oct 11, 2014
This would be my answer....
"A similar organization that offered my brother same post pays him 100k monthly, I think I share same interest with him but I wouldnt mind to abide with your company'z salary structure if offered the job"
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Zehner(f): 6:56pm On Oct 11, 2014
Saraha1:

Eh- eh, tell me somethinh.
I reject such question oh , ha, wetin?
They should just fellow their company policy and stop asking rubbish question as such.
babe question dey o! Dat same interview day I was asked what I tot abt the feud between Goodluck and Ameachi.... Me wey no know anytin abt politics! Na still sense I use answer.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 7:00pm On Oct 11, 2014
thekrine:
Hello,

I am not a supporter of the 'I know you have a structure of what you pay and I will accept whatever it is' type answer.

When a recruiter asks you what your salary expectation is, they really do need to know what you want to earn. I find it quite annoying when I ask potential employees this question and they start pretending like money does not matter. Most times I throw out a ridiculous figure as the salary 'package' on offer to see a gasp and their true reaction about money.

Money matters and it is from that same salary that you will transport yourself to work, feed and basically have a life. Thus, during your interview please do not act like you can 'manage' whatever they offer you. Your circumstance may not be same as the other individuals in the organisation. Your level of skills might be a game changer for the organisation and they may be willing to ignore their structure.

Have a figure in mind and mention that figure to them. If they cannot pay you that much, they will tell you so and if you are a very good candidate for the job, a negotiation will ensue.

I have been part of recruitment processes where budgeted sums for salary had to be increased slightly to accommodate the individual because of their own unique circumstance. It also matters that you let them know you are open to consider what they have to offer.

If you currently have a job, a good standpoint to negotiate from is to use what you currently earn. If you will be doing more at this new job and bringing in new expertise, use that as your reason for demanding more than what you earned at your last job. Perhaps you may have to also pay more in transportation.

For recent graduates, this is one a lot of us shy away from but I think I am right when I say the average salary on a first job in Nigeria is roughly N80k/month (and in most cases it is way lower than this). I am sure if we take a poll here very few people earned that much on their first job. Some organisations will start you off on a salary like this and increase after 6 months or so. Salaries in Nigeria are not great; that is the reality so do not blow your chances by saying "as a graduate I expect to earn nothing less than 150k"; I hear this a lot and it's normally an interview killer.

I recently interviewed someone for a role and her response to the salary offer was 'wow, that is poor'. She called a week later to say she had not heard back from us. Of cos I couldn't call back an individual that already seemed unhappy with the salary a potential employer can afford to pay.

Say what you want to earn and also ensure you inform the recruiter (and your disposition shows) that you are willing to consider what is on offer. Always give a figure.

Thanks so much for your functional input... Thanks for honoring my call!

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Timijo(m): 7:03pm On Oct 11, 2014
It is only in Nigeria that an employer will ask an applicant how much do we pay you and he/she will be expecting you to say pay me according to the salary structure of the company. What if the salary structure is too low? I attended an interview in a British organisation last month and this same question was asked. I answered it by saying pay me according to the salary scale of the company. But the interviewer said that is Nigerian mentality. She said that I should know what I want. I should be able to say the amount that will cover my needs like transportation, feeding, clothing and others. She said if I mention a big amount I will not be tagged as a greedy man because that is what will cover my needs. All that the company will do is to tell me how much they can offer and if it is too small for me, the company can add to it. When she said all this, I just told her my expectation. On the 3rd day I received a call to come and pick up my letter of employment. When I checked the monthly salary, it was increased by 40% of what I mentioned during the interview.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by MaziOmenuko: 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2014
Deepfreezer:
which point did he treat? once you mention the amount you re expecting from them you ve lost the job.
tell them any amount they can offer you is ok. I've done this severally and trust me I got more than what I expected from the company.
imagine you telling them 200.000 when actually their package for the position you are going after is 450.000

@bolded, really? So once an answer is given, the job is lost? You, my friend, is a funny character! No need to tell you that I've always provided an answer for the question and I'm yet to lose an opportunity because of that. No need at all, because you are the one with the almighty formula.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Zehner(f): 7:06pm On Oct 11, 2014
Deepfreezer:
that's very smart of you.
Thoinks
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Sirwilliamz(m): 7:08pm On Oct 11, 2014
I was asked to send my current pay slip three days after the interview with a company three weeks ago. I sent it to them beçause my pay is in six digit and beside am very comfortable and growing in my present company. I will only acept their offer if and only if they offer far above my current pay. Sometime interviewer can ask for your pay slip and u can give it if u have good figure in it or else.... hmmnnn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Npower N-tax Applicant Set To Take Their Test Today Through To 3rd July / FIRS Salary (Federal Internal Revenue Service) / 5 Highest Paid Jobs In Nigeria. Is This Still Correct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.