Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

I.T Certifcations Vs Degrees In The Workplace - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I.T Certifcations Vs Degrees In The Workplace (923 Views)

Universities Shud Offer Degrees In Programming / The Best I.T Course To Study.... / Database For My Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I.T Certifcations Vs Degrees In The Workplace by asalimpo(m): 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
How do i.t certifcates hold up against university degrees in d workplace?
E.g say a person has a msc computer science/mathematics.

Anoda has som programmng certs/networkg certs how are d two treated by employers and colleagues in terms of regards,
benefits etc.
Re: I.T Certifcations Vs Degrees In The Workplace by kunlejazz(m): 3:36pm On Oct 11, 2014
Certifications are great but i'll advise that one gets at least, a regular first degree. This is generally because certifications are limited in a way.

A regular first degree (preferably core science related) provides the base- from which different ICT fields can be explored.

For instance, one with MCITP and MCSA without a regular, related degree (BSc Maths/Computer Sci./Physics) may get a good job (yes, in Nigeria, it's a 'may'), but will have very little prospects of advancing in his coy.

Technology is ever changing so, what if the firm suddenly needs a CCDE or someone with some knowledge of instrumentation? How will he/she fit in?

With a regular first degree, you already have broad and fundamental knowledge which can be built upon to cope with changing climes in the ICT environment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I.T Certifcations Vs Degrees In The Workplace by Fulaman198(m): 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2014
It's good to have both. CCNA, MCSE, VCP5, CEH but also have a degree in a related field.
Re: I.T Certifcations Vs Degrees In The Workplace by khaynoni(m): 10:38pm On Nov 08, 2014
kunlejazz:
Certifications are great but i'll advise that one gets at least, a regular first degree. This is generally because certifications are limited in a way.

A regular first degree (preferably core science related) provides the base- from which different ICT fields can be explored.

For instance, one with MCITP and MCSA without a regular, related degree (BSc Maths/Computer Sci./Physics) may get a good job (yes, in Nigeria, it's a 'may'), but will have very little prospects of advancing in his coy.

Technology is ever changing so, what if the firm suddenly needs a CCDE or someone with some knowledge of instrumentation? How will he/she fit in?

With a regular first degree, you already have broad and fundamental knowledge which can be built upon to cope with changing climes in the ICT environment.

Pls check your email, i sent you a message.
Re: I.T Certifcations Vs Degrees In The Workplace by Fulaman198(m): 11:27pm On Nov 08, 2014
It really depends on the job, however I would like to say this.

Often in the I.T world (which is the world I work in), one must remember that Certs expire every 3 to 4 years.

A bachelors of science in a STEM field (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, etc. etc.) never expires.

As a Nigerian, we all know that we have a passion for Certs and Paper that prove we have something. The good thing about Nigerians is that we never are done educating ourselves. For example I'm thinking my next CERT in IT will be CEH, I will soon be taking a course in it. But I do feel it's necessary to have knowledge in Systems Engineering and Network Engineering.

With the way Security has become a big issue (thanks to certain government organisations I won't mention), I believe that knowing quite a bit about Network security will land you in a lucrative career. If you are in your 20s and 30s, you can enjoy the money you make by investing time in these kind of careers, get the necessary CERTs or degrees, and do a lot of reading.

(1) (Reply)

. / Check Out My Android App (naija Newspaper) / Articulate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.