Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. (8033 Views)

My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads / Engine Rattling Sound / Rattling Sound On My Camry With 2AZFE Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 10:01pm On Oct 11, 2014
Help! Car gurus...my 2005 toyota camry has a rattling noise when starting, thereafter it stops. my mechanic says it's the chain and I need frequent oil change than regular. Please how do I stop this as it's giving me concern. And secondly how do I correct the acceleration as it's not responsive like my acura v6. I guess they say it uses a sensor. It responds 1sec after pressing it, instead of the normal response I'm used to. Is this normal since it uses a sensor?
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by mayor2013: 10:07pm On Oct 11, 2014
Go run a scan on the car and come back with fault codes. The scan would reveal what is worng concerning your slow response
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Fulaman198(m): 10:50pm On Oct 11, 2014
Is this an I4 or V6 camry?
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:29am On Oct 12, 2014
Devirus2:
Help! Car gurus...my 2005 toyota camry has a rattling noise when starting, thereafter it stops. my mechanic says it's the chain and I need frequent oil change than regular. Please how do I stop this as it's giving me concern. And secondly how do I correct the acceleration as it's not responsive like my acura v6. I guess they say it uses a sensor. It responds 1sec after pressing it, instead of the normal response I'm used to. Is this normal since it uses a sensor?

@ the bolded I'm guessing your vehicle is burning oil.
Please replace ENGINE.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 8:10am On Oct 12, 2014
It's an I4 engine. It's not burning oil at all. Just dat the mechanic says i'll need to be changing the oil more frequent than the normal duration. So dunno if the timing chain is dead.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by speed001: 8:28am On Oct 12, 2014
Bros pls as mayor has earlier suggested SCAN UR CAR. There r peeps who can doo it FOC for u. If u r in benin I can do it free for u. My neighbour had d same issue. He scanned and got codes P1346 and P1349 meanin VVT issue. Does d nosie stay long or stops after startup?
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 10:07am On Oct 12, 2014
It stop immediately after ignition
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 12, 2014
Devirus2:
It stop immediately after ignition

Sounds like a worn timing chain tensioner, or it could be you're using the wrong grade of engine oil.

What oil do you use? Is the oil filter replaced at EVERY oil change, or "washed" and refitted? Is the oil filter an OEM Toyota item?
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 10:41am On Oct 12, 2014
I use ap viscoe 2000. The oil filter is always changed after every service. Meanwhile it happens only at cold start. Usually in the morning or when the car is left for a long time. But afterwards you don't hear the rattling again.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:57am On Oct 12, 2014
Devirus2:
I use ap viscoe 2000. The oil filter is always changed after every service. Meanwhile it happens only at cold start. Usually in the morning or when the car is left for a long time. But afterwards you don't hear the rattling again.

Bro you are killing your engine visco 2000 is 20W50 not designed for ur engine, if I'm right your engine requires 5W20 please search for the right lubricants for your engine.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 12, 2014
Devirus2:

Just as I thought - you're using the wrong grade of oil! Don't you read your car's Owners Manual?

20W-50 oil is way too thick for a modern engine. It's primarily for much older engines, or later ones that have covered a million miles.

Your engine rattles on startup because the oil is too thick, and so does not circulate quick enough, your hydraulic tappets don't pressurise quick enough, and your VVT-I will struggle to work with that heavy oil. Toyota recommend 5W-20 or 5W-30. That glue you're running in your engine will kill it, with the camshafts being the first components to fail.

You don't state what oil filter is used on your engine during an oil change.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by bravolad(m): 3:20pm On Oct 12, 2014
Siena:

Just as I thought - you're using the wrong grade of oil! Don't you read your car's Owners Manual?
20W-50 oil is way too thick for a modern engine. It's primarily for much older engines, or later ones that have covered a million miles.
Your engine rattles on startup because the oil is too thick, and so does not circulate quick enough, your hydraulic tappets don't pressurise quick enough, and your VVT-I will struggle to work with that heavy oil. Toyota recommend 5W-20 or 5W-30. That glue you're running in your engine will kill it, with the camshafts being the first components to fail.
You don't state what oil filter is used on your engine during an oil change.

@Siena, this is a major problem with most car owners here in Abuja, especially those who drive modern engines. They use 20W-50 oil irrespective of what the manufacturer recommends. Some of them are ignorant of the recommendations of the car manufacturer while others feel that all oils are the same and achieve the same effect (lubrication). These group of owners, believe so much in roadside mechanics that whatever the so called mechanics tell them is right. They carry out oil change at petrol station where the guys that carry out the oil change are not even qualified as roadside mechanics.

There are still many other car owners who do not read their owner's manual, they tell you that they have been using cars for years and do not need manuals to maintain their vehicles. In this case, they use whatever oil they see available and tell you it does not matter.

I met an Airforce Officer who came to service his RX330 with 20w-50 oil grade. Because we have been discussing, when I saw that oil, I immediately told him that that oil is wrong for his SUV. Guess what he said? My dear I have been using this car with this oil for more than a year and have not had any issue with it. I told him the effect would not be immediately obvious, but that he is killing his engine by installments. I also told him to look up the right weight in his manual which he said he would do when he gets home because he removed the manual and kept it at home.

My point therefore, is that, most car owners in Nigeria do not necessarily bother about what oil specs to use or what the manual says. Often, cost is considered rather than the manufacturer's recommendations.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by 9icetoo(m): 4:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
Devirus2:
Well, there goes another camry user who thinks he can get away with servicing with just any oil. You might get away with it for a while but not for too long. A lot of camrys, highlanders and rav4s with this engine are beginning to display the symptom you are having now owing to years of abuse by their owners. if you can still rev ur car beyond 5,000 rpm after it has warmed up, then probably much damage hasn't been done to the cams lobes, sprocket, lifters and valves. Please start using the recommended oil from now on and stay away from anything like oil treatment, ap visco, mobil xhp or any other heavy oil. I have heard a mechanic once recommending oil treatment to someone who complained about something like this. Please don't try it if it has been recommended to you already.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 5:40pm On Oct 13, 2014
My car recommended 5w30, but I've searched for it everywhere and can't find it. The closest I found is 5w40. Can I use it?
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 14, 2014
Devirus2:
My car recommended 5w30, but I've searched for it everywhere and can't find it. The closest I found is 5w40. Can I use it?

No. It's the wrong oil. If you can't find the right oil in Nigeria, then simply import it. Or downgrade to an older car that will tolerate any rubbish oil, including Palm oil.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Dieumerci(m): 10:01am On Oct 14, 2014
Hello Sir, my 2001 Camry also gives this kind of sound. The sound will stop after moving for about 5 minutes. The scan result shows P0401. My mechanic says he will have to set the timing, but I'm reluctant to do that. The vehicle came with valvoline 5W30 and valvoline oil filter, and since then I have been using Milemaster 5W30 and OEM Toyota oil filter. Thanks
Siena:

Sounds like a worn timing chain tensioner, or it could be you're using the wrong grade of engine oil.

What oil do you use? Is the oil filter replaced at EVERY oil change, or "washed" and refitted? Is the oil filter an OEM Toyota item?
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by DECOtech(m): 10:46am On Oct 14, 2014
Siena:

downgrade to an older car that will tolerate Palm oil.
LWKMD
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by IdaraCHODB(m): 6:11pm On Oct 14, 2014
Devirus2:

Where in Nigeria are you because i have seen 5w30 in Nigeria in synthetic form, though some report they have seen it in dyno form ( I haven't).

Let me share my experience with you, I used to use Visco 2000 which seems a lot better than Mobil XHP which eventually completed the destruction of my engine.

My manual says use 5w30, i drove to Lagos with Visco 2000 and decided to do an oil change before coming back ( I didnt find Visco 2000) so I used Mobil XHP, the day after I arrived, indeed the very the next morning when I started the car, the timing chains started rattling.

One thing led to another including 3 engine rebuilds, but after everything I lost that engine, since then its synthetic for me, initially i did 0w40, then i moved to 5w40 and now I am on 5w30 and while I have covered many many more miles since then and driven the car very hard even redlining it a couple of times, I have had no more chain rattling.

1 Like

Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 9:08pm On Oct 14, 2014
Pls where can I find that oil weight cos I can't find it here in abuja.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by IdaraCHODB(m): 12:24am On Oct 15, 2014
Devirus2:

Private Message me for details

I stole this from another forum: oil grades have more of an effect on cars driven hard or used in extreme conditions

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=228783#ixzz3GAG3iXpA

I guess this is why the majority of users don't realize what they are doing to their engines, but I guess because I drive very hard 99% of the time, I had to pay a price quickly, but if you drive like a grandfather, the day of reckoning will still come albeit much later
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by bravolad(m): 10:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
Devirus2:

Go to Gudu market, you will find it at major car dealers' shops.

1 Like

Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2014
Any ideas how much the complete engine for a camry 2005 would cost?
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by cocoduck: 7:46am On Oct 28, 2014
Bendix gear is either worn or the kick starter is out of position. then if is a whistling sound then change the fan belt.

1 Like

Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 6:50pm On Oct 28, 2014
Please what is bendix gear?
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Chyko02(m): 12:24am On Nov 26, 2014
My 2005 toyota camry with v6 engine does not respond fast enough when you start accelerating but responds fast when it eventually picks up finally. Which oil can anyone recommend and finally,my gearbox(13pins) went bad so I had to replace it with 10pins but always jerking when it selects gear2 and sometimes delays fr like 2secs when it changes from gear 3 to gear 2. I need answers to these please. I also need a good mechanic in ebute metta area.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by AutosBay(m): 7:00am On Nov 26, 2014
Rattles can be annoying, and very misleading to their location. It sounds like they changed a motor mount, but look around at all of your suspension, it could be the bushings, a loose bolt, a broken hanger for exhaust to name a few things.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 8:05am On Nov 26, 2014
Pls my people, how much would a complete timing chain job cost, because I'm seriously thinking in that direction since all measures I've taken can not stop the rattling in my engine bay. The rattling noise at start up is really annoying.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by Devirus2: 8:06am On Nov 26, 2014
And lest I forget, I ran a scan and only got catalyst related errors.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by TCD: 9:06am On Nov 26, 2014
AutosBay:
Rattles can be annoying, and very misleading to their location. It sounds like they changed a motor mount, but look around at all of your suspension, it could be the bushings, a loose bolt, a broken hanger for exhaust to name a few things.

why do you keep lifting responses from Google without referencing the link you stole it from passing yourself as an expert when all you do is Google and shamelessly copy and paste without credit to the real author.

All your posts are stolen verbatim down to the full stop from Google. you are not even smart enough to edit it a little.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by abatically(m): 9:58am On Nov 26, 2014
TCD:

why do you keep lifting responses from Google without referencing the link you stole it from passing yourself as an expert when all you do is Google and shamelessly copy and paste without credit to the real author.

All your posts are stolen verbatim down to the full stop from Google. you are not even smart enough to edit it a little.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110512210020AAzlUan

I thought I was the only one who knew about this grin
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by 9icetoo(m): 12:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
I do not know how much a timing chain job will cost where you are but i will advise you to leave that engine alone for now since the rattle stops immediately after you start the car. If the rattle continues say after about fifteen seconds of starting the car or comes up intermittently while you are driving, then there may be need to fix it. Your camshaft sprocket may be worn as a result of the wrong grade of oil you have been using over time. This rattle is common in camrys as the mileages rack up. When i've parked my camry for close to a month, it rattles briefly at first start but as the oil circulates, the noise stops. It doesn't do that again until i have left it parked for a long time (more than 2 weeks). Your timing chain was designed to last the life of the vehicle and unless it has been harmed significantly (unlikely though) by the grade of oil u have been using, then there is no need for a new one. The price of a new chain (original) was 10,000 Naira in 2013 (when i changed mine). I believe the price wouldn't have changed much since then.
Re: Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. by seyola(m): 5:50pm On Nov 29, 2014
IdaraCHODB:

Where in Nigeria are you because i have seen 5w30 in Nigeria in synthetic form, though some report they have seen it in dyno form ( I haven't).

Let me share my experience with you, I used to use Visco 2000 which seems a lot better than Mobil XHP which eventually completed the destruction of my engine.

My manual says use 5w30, i drove to Lagos with Visco 2000 and decided to do an oil change before coming back ( I didnt find Visco 2000) so I used Mobil XHP, the day after I arrived, indeed the very the next morning when I started the car, the timing chains started rattling.

One thing led to another including 3 engine rebuilds, but after everything I lost that engine, since then its synthetic for me, initially i did 0w40, then i moved to 5w40 and now I am on 5w30 and while I have covered many many more miles since then and driven the car very hard even redlining it a couple of times, I have had no more chain rattling.
5W30? Mobil or Total? Where can I get one in Lagos pls?

(1) (Reply)

Corolla Vs Camry Andid Advice Needed / How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? / Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.