Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,404 members, 7,781,165 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:08 AM

Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy (49423 Views)

... / Nigeria's Megachurches, Liberia And S/leon Needs Your Financial Help. / Deeper Life Tops World Megachurches; Winners Chapel And RCCG, Others Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by flexing11(m): 9:52am On Oct 12, 2014
why should churches be taxed they played a significant role i tell you prayers from churches alone,help nigeria as a country the most reason why nigeria is still one is because of the daily prayers from this great men of God.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by thoexynne: 9:53am On Oct 12, 2014
itstpia1:

Rather a misleading statement I should think.

Which part?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 12, 2014
SlimSkipper:
angryif mega churches should b taxed wat of mega mosques or doesnt money also flow arnd n d mosque? angry

Baba how yu want make dem dey do alfa,imam own now
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by hayzed2: 9:57am On Oct 12, 2014
EdesonNews:
I pray pastors make heaven after enjoying worldly materials

If you pay tithes to pastors, who will pastor pay tithe to

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Ifebazz(m): 9:58am On Oct 12, 2014
"We use the income of the church to build schools, we use the income of the church to serve the needs of the poor," David Oyedepo, bishop of the popular Winners Chapel, told Reuters in an interview. "These are non-profit organizations."
If he actually said that, he lies more than Lucifer himself. 'non-profit organisations' or did read it wrong? There's no place in heaven for 90% of so called 'men of God' who always tell you not to judge them.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by busky101(m): 9:59am On Oct 12, 2014
[quote author=dhammyg post=27071968]NIGERIA:RICH PASTORS,POOR WOSHIPPERS cheesy

A COUNTRY THAT INVESTS MORE IN RELIGION THAN EDUCATION,SCIENCE&TECHNOLOGY WILL NEVER DEVELOPwink THE FUNNY THING IS THAT DESPITE ALL THE CHURCHES THE COUNTRY IS STILL CORRUPT&MORALLY BANKRUPT shocked

RELIGIOUS BUT UNGODLY PEOPLEangry[/quote retarded fellow
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Ifebazz(m): 9:59am On Oct 12, 2014
flexing11:
why should churches be taxed they played a significant role i tell you prayers from churches alone,help nigeria as a country the most reason why nigeria is still one is because of the daily prayers from this great men of God.
Are you from Mars?

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 12, 2014
I will comment later
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 12, 2014
If indeed you really wanna pay your tithe, its best you personally take it in an itemized or monetary form,to a charity/less privilege home....That way you've stopped enriching these pastors.

Since there are three categories of offerings(1st collection,2nd collection & thanks giving,in a catholic setting...I don't drop more than N100 in each offering.

That way,even God would understand the situation.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by joseph1832(m): 10:03am On Oct 12, 2014
flexing11:
Dude sot tha hell up. I tell you the reason why Nigeria is still united is because people are afraid of war.

The prayers from these men of god aren't doing squat in uniting this country.

Those who experience the civil war are very alive and they'll tell you its not something anyone should experience.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by justitiaomnibus(m): 10:04am On Oct 12, 2014
Church Business should be included in Entrepreneur curriculum in our tertiary institutions.
NYSC too should porvide lecture series for corpers where they will be taught how to make money and be employers of labour through church business after service year. Enough of teaching how to make soaps and shoes and dettol. How many of the MDs and CEOs of shoe making compani and soap making busineses have private jets.

Watch out for the coming of "Multiplication Church Of God Incorporated".- Prophet JustitiaOmnibus

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by nora544: 10:04am On Oct 12, 2014
That shows the real face of this pastors.

I know since a long time that they buy properties outside of nigeria.

Adeboye bought land in America in Teaxs to build a University (America has so many UNiversities and many of them fight to get students and give money to agents that they can get students.)it was only to to bring money out of nigeria and he is the one who is very clever with this also Oyedepp, pastor chris has money on a bank acount at an tax free Island.

Churchbusiness in NIgeria is a big business where the pastors can invest the money from their poor followers to enrich themself.

What I didnot understand is in my country when you have a non profit organisation you have to show the goverment what you make with the money and you have to show this every year.

When the goverment only would ask the churches to show what they make with the money than church business will not be the same.
Do you know that the cost of one private jet is about 600 000 USD that you need every year.

Do you know how much charity you can make with 600 000 USD and that didnot include the money that a person must have to buy such a jet.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by justitiaomnibus(m): 10:05am On Oct 12, 2014
joseph1832:
Dude sot tha hell up. I tell you the reason why Nigeria is still united is because people are afraid of war.

Those who experience the civil war are very alive and they'll tell you its not something anyone should experience.

Lol. Prayers work tho but Churches should be taxed.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Ifebazz(m): 10:07am On Oct 12, 2014
datguru:
Don't they sow seeds, pay tithes and give offering in mosque?
If Imams and Alfas were buying private jets (pj as pastors now term it) we would be on their case too.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by vivalavida(m): 10:07am On Oct 12, 2014
"We see giving as the only way to be blessed. Blessing other people is a way of keeping the blessings flowing," said Oyedepo, whose blessings include a Gulfstream V jet and several BMWs.

This is the part i love most in this article.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by asalimpo(m): 10:08am On Oct 12, 2014
kenbee:
If we all pay our tithe, Arithmetically, Over 10% of the total worth of any society should belong to churches

if we all pay tithe they shd enuff money to line the pastors pockets? Nooooooooo!
But enuff to do d work of the kingdom. Indigent worshipers shud b catered for.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by jasmine2013(f): 10:08am On Oct 12, 2014
Concept meet innovation and technology pls vote team Issachar at the CEO Challenge by clicking this link http://woobox.com/odgogp/vote/for/4917439 pls ur vote counts. Thank you
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by kjhova(m): 10:11am On Oct 12, 2014
You cannot tax a church or any religious organisation as this is surely unethical & improper as they are indeed & in law charity organisations (i.e. NGOs).

However, you must tax specific commercial activities the church is involved in.

If Igbenedion University pays tax, Covenant University & Redeemer's University too must also pay tax although not the church.

If My own venture business (makers of bread/satchet water/prints) pay tax, LoveworldTV, Winners Ventures, Synagogue water etc must surely pay tax!

Anything short of taxing these entities mean that I have a democratic right to refuse to pay tax subsequently.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by RamsyG: 10:12am On Oct 12, 2014
[i][/i]May God help us in dis country ooo
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by asalimpo(m): 10:13am On Oct 12, 2014
Churches shud b taxed. I wonder wat is holdg this govnments senses from seeing this.
Pastor accused of laundering!!
No wonder every tom dick and harry is into strtg a church.
So many churches and yet so much decay in d society.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by nora544: 10:14am On Oct 12, 2014
flexing11:

Sorry that is not tru the people don't want a war.

Nigerians are to lazy to make something what would change the country, they are to lazy to go on the streets to fight for their rights.

Nigerians are good in praying and fasting because praying and fasting will make all better.

I just remember this 100 days fasting from adeboye did this change nigeria to a better country in the last month.

Nigerian love their God of Man and they woreshipp this God of man and that are the new Idols, the stars they can make what they want.

This are nigerian heros and Nigerian pentecost/charismatic christians are the greates IDOL worshippers in the world.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Balkan(m): 10:14am On Oct 12, 2014
[size=20pt]Mugu fall guy man chop[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by kjhova(m): 10:16am On Oct 12, 2014
joseph1832:

Those who experience the civil war are very alive and they'll tell you. its not something anyone should experience.

You may strongly believe what you wrote up here but the truth remains that you have no empirical evidence that this is true.

I can also say that the only reason why Nigeria is still united is because of the free oil still flowing from the Niger Delta.

How about that?
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by pyyxxaro: 10:18am On Oct 12, 2014
Ifebazz:

Are you from Mars?

Noooooo bros !! He's from SUDAN kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by BEN1986: 10:20am On Oct 12, 2014
It is high time churches started building public amenities like roads, public schools and hospitals. If after paying 19.2% as government tax. 10% as tithe, 5% as sowing of seed, 5% as pastor's car, 5% as men's dues.They do nothing to the society. haba. WETIN remain to take care of you, your wife and four kids. THERE IS GOD.
We can't develop where people hide gun in bible to brainwash people.
Dont compare mosque to church as they are not owned by proprietor as churches.
ONLY GOD WILL JUDGE.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by ransomed: 10:20am On Oct 12, 2014
Bash pastors, criticize churches, question christians but, please, i beg you in the name of your creator, NEVER send Suicide bombers to them nor plant explosive ladden vehicles in their territories. Thank you for this singular act. Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by flexing11(m): 10:20am On Oct 12, 2014
joseph1832:

you are very canal you are not spiritually inclined the things of the physical cannot understand the this of the spiritual you only have your physical eyes.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by GlorifiedTunde(m): 10:23am On Oct 12, 2014
Success has much criticism, so is the Church of God.

When Christians were poor, no one said a word.

Now God has commanded wealth of nations into His Church as He prophesied in the scriptures, now they're hating.

Taxing the Church is double taxation. The members who pay tithes and offerings have already been taxed by the government.

And if you want to go ahead taxing religious groups, kindly include ifa priests, mosques and other temples - no exception.

Well OP you're not wrong at all noticing the Church is now very rich in Nigeria.

But all that list na fake, Oyedepo is worth far beyond all that, and baba Adeboye too I'm sure.

If your head is paining you because the Church is now rich, you will have to live with that headache for the rest of your life.

NB: These churches are the reason why Nigeria is still standing. Stop all Christians from praying, and Nigeria is gone. Do you think its because we're developed that Ebola was driven out?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by redcliff: 10:26am On Oct 12, 2014
ayusco85:
Nairaland app on my blackberry, u no know say I dey church?
My friend delete the app if its dusturbing you and stop posting trash

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by igbinigiejeff(m): 10:27am On Oct 12, 2014
justi4jesu:
cheesy cheesy Church money is for building the church and helping those in Need.
How many need do help!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Light Up Gombe Mega Crusade In Pictures: Adeboye, Son, Enenche, Daughter Spotted / Lincoln Navigator Jeep A Poor Widow Got From Omega Power Ministries As Gift(Pic) / Human Parts, Charms In Ebonyi Church, Discovered By Youths (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.