Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (96807 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by DikSin(m): 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
Isokay O!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by bigsmoke2(m): 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2014
Kobalize
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kellyJames5(m): 3:53pm On Oct 12, 2014
Isiterere:

This is one is too serious ......

ALL IZZ WELL
Oh!
I see
Thanks anyway.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 12, 2014
"Haba" Which "Kain" topic "bi" this?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 12, 2014
What about duuuh!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Waspy(m): 5:34pm On Oct 12, 2014
Whoever took those words for English is as bright as a low voltage light angry

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by franklytrue(m): 5:36pm On Oct 12, 2014
Pishure or adonbilivit. :-)

OMO I DON DEY go.
This one na MUMU o
WETIN happen?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kristen12(f): 6:15pm On Oct 12, 2014
@op what of
Abi
Shebi
Nko
Asko- shakara

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by nwaobitex: 6:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
I didn't think so
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by 24in7: 6:44pm On Oct 12, 2014
@op na only u ''waka'' cOmE
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by freecocoa(f): 6:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
I don't mean this the wrong way but I don't see how anyone can think those words English.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by flyingdutchman(m): 7:09pm On Oct 12, 2014
FA FA FA...FOWL!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2014
So people exist who think these are English words? Wow!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 12, 2014
him, nice!! u forgot 'jare'

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Abbey2sam(m): 8:15pm On Oct 12, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2.eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4.na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of right. it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

how can you ever think that this words are English. ......

which kind secondary school you attend .......nawa o

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by abdulaz: 8:49pm On Oct 12, 2014
kaya09:
If this useless thread make Fp i go smoke one full bowl of weed today
oya come here, I have a truck load of it specially for you, smoke to life... cry
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by chezholy(m): 9:04pm On Oct 12, 2014
http://2goface.com/invite?ref=chezholy
Hello everyone, i have found a great site to get free airtime,and connect with student. i have tried the website and its working. Just visit this link : http://2goface.com/invite?ref=chezholy #2goface
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by AdamuUcheOla: 9:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
The word "installementally/installmentally" is a perfect example of a word Nigerians think is an English word. It however isn't.

I used it a few times in a meeting with non-Nigerians and noticed a couple of weird looks of confusion. A few weeks afterwards, my Oga came to ask me what the word meant. undecided

Modified to include the alternative spelling of the Nigerian word :-)

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by deebsman1(m): 9:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2.eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4.na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of right. it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

@op, na can mostly means now in most cases and jhoor means please

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Begonia(m): 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2014
Nice one op but I don't think there's any Nigerian that doesn't know those aren't English words.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by valmunich(m): 10:11pm On Oct 12, 2014
Gaskia cool
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by tutaboi(m): 10:16pm On Oct 12, 2014
YOU FORGOT " ni""
adonbilivit:

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by destante(f): 10:32pm On Oct 12, 2014
valmunich:
Gaskia cool
Lol how does this even sound English. tongue
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 12, 2014
Richie0974:
Who doesn't know those words ain't English angry

As in, you have to be a special kind of stupid to think these words are English. grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by experimentist: 11:18pm On Oct 12, 2014
Dis adonbilivit guy na jonsing man! Wetin hin think sey him dey write sef.. Shey na today him start dey hear those common words.. If whozam erm, e go dey see double trouble.. You and who think say 'jor' na english word! From where? Na yeye talk be dat o! Ok, what of 'gbagada-gbogodo'? That one too na english abi? What of 'yansh', 'toto', 'prick', all those crazy words.. Abeg leave talk for tortoise jor!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 12:26am On Oct 13, 2014
What of 'Shebi'? grin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by cole19(m): 6:47am On Oct 13, 2014
'Wetin' man go do dan to dey look noni
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Exjoker(m): 7:01am On Oct 13, 2014
Adonblivit!!!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kristylopezz: 9:07am On Oct 13, 2014
In Abuja we use word like `ba?'

Mostly in asking question. E.g- this is for you ba?
T'was when I came to Lagos that I replaced it with `shey?, abi?' Took some time tho...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by itstpia1: 9:51am On Oct 13, 2014
joor (jo) means please.

sef is short for self

na is now

shey (se) is short for se o, which means did you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 10:19am On Oct 13, 2014
experimentist:
Dis adonbilivit guy na jonsing man! Wetin hin think sey him dey write sef.. Shey na today him start dey hear those common words.. If whozam erm, e go dey see double trouble.. You and who think say 'jor' na english word! From where? Na yeye talk be dat o! Ok, what of 'gbagada-gbogodo'? That one too na english abi? What of 'yansh', 'toto', 'prick', all those crazy words.. Abeg leave talk for tortoise jor!
bros na me get all these yabs?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 10:20am On Oct 13, 2014
Exjoker:
Adonblivit!!!
remove ex from ur monicker.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Preparing for GRE / Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.