Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,834 members, 7,806,348 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (96795 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by KMB: 8:24am On Oct 14, 2014
So the koko of this topic is ... ?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Dolcilicious(f): 8:26am On Oct 14, 2014
kaya09:

yea,ur wish came thru

and ure still typing prolly? undecided
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Dolcilicious(f): 8:27am On Oct 14, 2014
shockwave91:

u no why

I dont tongue
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Jennydoris(f): 8:50am On Oct 14, 2014
destante:
Lol op is jes a clown jor

grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 14, 2014
Dolcilicious:

I dont tongue
lol....it's d whole weed thing & i no u notongue. Ur jst bin nawty

What drugs u talking bout in ur signature?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by iykenex(m): 9:02am On Oct 14, 2014
"My boss is not on seat", it may be an English expression but Nigerian made.
"insultive" another Nigerian made word, it is not an English word.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by iykenex(m): 9:06am On Oct 14, 2014
Bibol:

It's KNEES Sir not KNEELS. Even if you check the internet, the only sites where it is used are Nigerian sites. You know why? Because it's "Nigerian English". Some words are grammatically wrong but due to constant usage, now sound right. Same goes for the word opportuned. You won't find these words in trusted dictionaries. Learn to accept simple corrections, it's not a sign of weakness. It will help you.

You are 100% correct
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Tobetoe(m): 9:33am On Oct 14, 2014
@op they are many NA......... op come and sit down here JARE,...... Op you are hungry BA....... Dis thread is too sweet TOH.......
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 14, 2014
I've heard u
Bibol:

It's KNEES Sir not KNEELS. Even if you check the internet, the only sites where it is used are Nigerian sites. You know why? Because it's "Nigerian English". Some words are grammatically wrong but due to constant usage, now sound right. Same goes for the word opportuned. You won't find these words in trusted dictionaries. Learn to accept simple corrections, it's not a sign of weakness. It will help you.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Kennethco(m): 10:27am On Oct 14, 2014

shey space dey for me to book sha and she I told
Gbam!!!! Sure, enter ur shoe and follow me make i show u d place
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Dolcilicious(f): 10:45am On Oct 14, 2014
shockwave91:

lol....it's d whole weed thing & i no u notongue. Ur jst bin nawty

What drugs u talking bout in ur signature?

lol...its nt abt weed,but weed suits my signature just fine smiley
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by okorouc(m): 10:46am On Oct 14, 2014
I go comment later
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by NifemiOlu(m): 10:58am On Oct 14, 2014
So after 6 years of primary school education, 6 years in secondary school, 4 in the university...there's no way I would have thought those words were English.
It's called code mixing and code switching.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 14, 2014
adonbilivit:
please na
grincheesy
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by NifemiOlu(m): 11:05am On Oct 14, 2014
freecocoa:
I don't mean this the wrong way but I don't see how anyone can think those words English.

Same here. OP should have said something like "Nigerian English vs Standard English"
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Lordmykel(m): 11:10am On Oct 14, 2014
Who thought they were english?. Please don't embarrass me joor.. Even a 6 year old will rebuke you.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Ormorlehwah(f): 11:54am On Oct 14, 2014
kaya09:
If this useless thread make Fp i go smoke one full bowl of weed today
U're too mouthed!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by prettiest1(f): 12:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
SmellMyFart:
This people go just dey disturb person even on monday. Mtchewwww

"KNOCK KNOCK!"

ME: Who's there?

"Jehovah's Witness."

ME: Nobody dey house. angry

"But you just ans...."

ME: I SAY NOBODY DEY HOUSE!!angry This na their dog, Bingo!!!

grin
Lol. Just can't hold tears. Nna mehn, you've made my day.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2014
Dolcilicious:

lol...its nt abt weed,but weed suits my signature just fine smiley
cocaine? Babe ur head strong o @signature
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Tex42(m): 1:09pm On Oct 14, 2014
kellyJames5:

Please don't flog me
I don learn am.
flog u?! how can i. i own u one for making me laugh. lol!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Melinde: 1:10pm On Oct 14, 2014
30secs:
This post has potential sha
Make I kukuma register my name incase....
Abi oo
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Dolcilicious(f): 1:11pm On Oct 14, 2014
shockwave91:

cocaine? Babe ur head strong o @signature

Yh
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Deguy12: 1:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

e-sha!

e sha said i should come to his house and i said no.

e-sha said its over between us
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kellyJames5(m): 1:29pm On Oct 14, 2014
Tex42:
flog u?! how can i. i own u one for making me laugh. lol!
grin[quote author=Tex42 post=27133754]flog u?! how can i. i own u one for making me laugh. lol![/quote
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 14, 2014
Dolcilicious:

Yh
damn. I can manage weed but coke? My head neva reach. wen did u start using it? smiley
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Dolcilicious(f): 1:56pm On Oct 14, 2014
shockwave91:

damn. I can manage weed but coke? My head neva reach. wen did u start using it? smiley

I dont do drugs jor...was just playing along. tongue
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
Dolcilicious:

I dont do drugs jor...was just playing along. tongue
lol....me 2 tongue u shuld av jst continued now. It's ruined sad
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Dolcilicious(f): 2:26pm On Oct 14, 2014
shockwave91:

lol....me 2 tongue u shuld av jst continued now. It's ruined sad

*whispers* NL is a big forum,av u forgotten?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 14, 2014
Dolcilicious:

*whispers* NL is a big forum,av u forgotten?
*whispers* o yea, so ssshhhh not too loud
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 14, 2014
prettiest1:
Lol. Just can't hold tears. Nna mehn, you've made my day.
grin glad I could make you laugh. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 3:36pm On Oct 14, 2014
shockwave91:

*whispers* o yea, so ssshhhh not too loud
if you want to really whisper just know it is 3:51 "PM"...talking Dolcilicious
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by prettiest1(f): 3:42pm On Oct 14, 2014
SmellMyFart:
grin glad I could make you laugh. cheesy
grin It was a rib cracking one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Preparing for GRE / Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.