Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious (3639 Views)

Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Warnings From Jesus Christ To Churches in Nigeria - Linda Ngaujah / Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 12, 2014
We as Christians are supposed to pay tithes which is 10 percent of any income we get. A lot of people pay these tithes to churches and a few pay tithes to charities and stuff like that. But the majority believe because bible says pay your tithes to God, their instinct or believe as the case may be is to give it to church believing God is church and church is God.

I'm not going to talk much on who or how we should give our tithes to because everyone has the right to pay their tithes in everyway they choose to .

But my question is how or where do churches pay their tithes?
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 12, 2014
churches dont pay tithes, they use the money to develop the growing churches, help needy people and give to the poor.

So i heard though
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 12, 2014
sexyseun:
churches dont pay tithes, they use the money to develop the growing churches, help needy people and give to the poor.

So i heard though

Ok but with the amount of churches in Nigeria, I don't think there should be many poor or homeless people on the streets if church tithes were actually being used for this purpose.
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by PastorKun(m): 12:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
YorubaJesus:
We as Christians are supposed to pay tithes which is 10 percent of any income we get. A lot of people pay these tithes to churches and a few pay tithes to charities and stuff like that. But the majority believe because bible says pay your tithes to God, their instinct or believe as the case may be is to give it to church believing God is church and church is God.

I'm not going to talk much on who or how we should give our tithes to because everyone has the right to pay their tithes in everyway they choose to .

The premise of your write up is very flawed cause as christians there is not one single requirement in the bible to tithe from any income we earn. The tithe instructions in the bible was to jews to tithe of their agric products produced in the land of Israel. It is this injunction some preachers have now twisted to mean christians(who are not under the jewish laws) should tithe of their income. And as we all know it is very wrong and a grievous sin to twist God's word.

4 Likes

Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Ibrokane(m): 12:17pm On Oct 12, 2014
PastorKun:

The premise of your write up is very flawed cause as christians there is not one single requirement in the bible to tithe from any income we earn. The tithe instructions in the bible was to jews to tithe of their agric products produced in the land of Israel. It is this injunction some preachers have now twisted to mean christians(who are not under the jewish laws) should tithe of their income. And as we all know it is very wrong and a grievous sin to twist God's word.
are u telling us indirectly that tithe are not meant to be given or what?... I just can't can't decode Ur message ...pls shed More light
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by PastorKun(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ibrokane:
are u telling us indirectly that tithe are not meant to be given or what?... I just can't can't decode Ur message ...pls shed More light

Not indirectly, I am stating directly and in very certain terms that contrary to popular teachings in churches today, Christians are NOT meant to tithe.

3 Likes

Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Ibrokane(m): 12:51pm On Oct 12, 2014
PastorKun:

Not indirectly, I am stating directly and in very certain terms that contrary to popular teachings in churches today, Christians are NOT meant to tithe.
I dont believe that.....if u had say they are meant to tithe but not by giving it to the church I would have agreed with u.... but no tithe at all.....hnmmm mysterious..... Muslims zakat is a must but not to the imams.... so should xtians owns too should be
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by PastorKun(m): 1:02pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ibrokane:
I dont believe that.....if u had say they are meant to tithe but not by giving it to the church I would have agreed with u.... but no tithe at all.....hnmmm mysterious..... Muslims zakat is a must but not to the imams.... so should xtians owns too should be

Can you show to me from scriptures why you believe christians (not jews) ought to tithe? Also using the muslim example of zakat weakens your case as the christian faith is not modelled after or similar to the islamic belief system. Rather it is islam that attempts to copy judaism/christianity though in their confusion they mix it up with pagan beliefs and opinions of their founding fathers.

3 Likes

Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 12, 2014
Winners Chapel Do pay tithe to redem, we call it tithe of tithe.
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2014
PastorKun:

I remember somewhere in the bible when it says give 10% of ur earnings to God or something like that. What about offering, is that also made up and not biblical? I don't know if God was referring to Jews or the Israelis or all Christians but I agree with the idea of tithing but not giving it to church ( Only God knows what my tithe will be used for) but that's another issue or subject.
All I wanna know is who do churches pay tithes too? Why can't they reveal it to us so instead of giving the tithes to churches, we can give the tithes to the rightful place.
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
lexodus:
Winners Chapel Do pay tithe to redem, we call it tithe of tithe.

Are you sure of this? Does Redeem pay tithes to Winners chapel or to another church? How do you know Winners actually does this?
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ibrokane:
I dont believe that.....if u had say they are meant to tithe but not by giving it to the church I would have agreed with .... but no tithe at all.....hnmmm mysterious..... Muslims zakat is a must but not to the imams.... so should xtians owns too should be

Yea I was thinking that too?
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Kash007(m): 2:36pm On Oct 12, 2014
sexyseun:

So i heard though
....and private planes for evangelism or in recent times, for arms dealing.

3 Likes

Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by PastorKun(m): 2:42pm On Oct 12, 2014
YorubaJesus:

I remember somewhere in the bible when it says give 10% of ur earnings to God or something like that. What about offering, is that also made up and not biblical? I don't know if God was referring to Jews or the Israelis or all Christians but I agree with the idea of tithing but not giving it to church ( Only God knows what my tithe will be used for) but that's another issue or subject.
All I wanna know is who do churches pay tithes too? Why can't they reveal it to us so instead of giving the tithes to churches, we can give the tithes to the rightful place.

There is absolutely no were in the bible anybody was asked to give 10% of earnings to God. This false practise of tithing is derived from twisting scriptures were God asked Jews to tithe of their agric produce(not income) produced in the land he gave them.

I repeat there is absolutely no requirement for christians to tithe in scriptures.

1 Like

Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 12, 2014
PastorKun:

There is absolutely no were in the bible anybody was asked to give 10% of earnings to God. This false practise of tithing is derived from twisting scriptures were God asked Jews to tithe of their agric produce(not income) produced in the land he gave them.

I repeat there is absolutely no requirement for christians to tithe in scriptures.

Back then the agric produce was what brought the income though. God might have asked other people to tithe as well but only the Jews listened.
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Goshen360(m): 3:57pm On Oct 12, 2014
YorubaJesus:

Back then the agric produce was what brought the income though. God might have asked other people to tithe as well but only the Jews listened.

If what you said above is true. Then you will have to show how and when in the bible same God converted the agricultural produce into money. Money existed from Genesis but God never demanded tithe of monetary income but agricultural products. The reason is, man or Israel as we know like to take credit for their works. ...but agricultural products are what God himself caused to increase but money is reward for Labour or wages for what you worked for. ...so in income, you earn it because you worked for it.

Years after tithe was instituted and Christ came, talking to the scribes and pharisees, look at it yourself in Matthew 23:23; it was still agricultural products. We're tired of this tithe fraud in the church of Christ. Leave religion alone and study the word yourself, stop holding to traditions of men by which you make the word of God of non effect. Christ never preached tithe, never collected tithe, Apostles and early churches never paid nor collect tithe. Who do you follow or model your christianity after? Christ or men? Question most things you've been taught and you will come to the light of knowledge of truth.
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 12, 2014
Goshen360:

If what you said above is true. Then you will have to show how and when in the bible same God converted the agricultural produce into money. Money existed from Genesis but God never demanded tithe of monetary income but agricultural products. The reason is, man or Israel as we know like to take credit for their works. ...but agricultural products are what God himself caused to increase but money is reward for Labour or wages for what you worked for. ...so in income, you earn it because you worked for it.

Years after tithe was instituted and Christ came, talking to the scribes and pharisees, look at it yourself in Matthew 23:23; it was still agricultural products. We're tired of this tithe fraud in the church of Christ. Leave religion alone and study the word yourself, stop holding to traditions of men by which you make the word of God of non effect. Christ never preached tithe, never collected tithe, Apostles and early churches never paid nor collect tithe. Who do you follow or model your christianity after? Christ or men? Question most things you've been taught and you will come to the light of knowledge of truth.

Maybe tithing is not in the bible or part of Gods plans for us, I do not know. I don't pay tithes in church but I help people in need and watch my tithe put smiles on peoples face. Afterall its my tithe, I do with it as I please.

The question remains though, where do churches pay tithes?
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Goshen360(m): 4:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
YorubaJesus:

Maybe tithing is not in the bible or part of Gods plans for us, I do not know. I don't pay tithes in church but I help people in need and watch my tithe put smiles on peoples face. Afterall its my tithe, I do with it as I please.

You can help people with certain percentage of your income, not necessarily your tithes. You're doing God's will, not that you're practicing tithing. What you're doing is called TRUE AND PURE RELIGION and such is the will of the Father but every time you do that, stop considering it as paying tithe; it's a sign of those under the law. Grace let's you give out of love and the fact that God had already blessed you so you can bless others in need.

Back to your question, churches are not meant to collect tithe from nobody so the question of where they pay tithe so if at all they should, it should be TAXES to the government.

If churches are modeling the biblical tithe, there shouldn't be rate of poverty in today's churches but because they use monetary tithe to support extravagant lifestyle of the church CEOs, then they should pay TAXES to the government.

2 Likes

Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by christemmbassey(m): 6:49pm On Oct 12, 2014
YorubaJesus:

bros there is no one verse in the ENTIRE BIBLE that says 'Christians' should pay tithe to God, church, pastor etc. Tithe requirement in CHRISTIANITY is d bigest FRAUD IN HUMAN HISTORY. The only thing that Jesus requires of us is to preach d gospel. Stay Blessed .
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by christemmbassey(m): 7:04pm On Oct 12, 2014
YorubaJesus:

where do our national trearure looters/armed robbers/theives/scammers/yahoo boys pay their ioots?

1 Like

Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Goshen360(m): 7:32pm On Oct 12, 2014
christemmbassey:
where do our national trearure looters/armed robbers/theives/scammers/yahoo boys pay their ioots?

I tried calling you last week as promised. Your phone was switched off or not available. I can still call you now if you send me email to show your phone is available and we can talk.
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by PastorKun(m): 6:19am On Oct 13, 2014
YorubaJesus:

You are wrong here, there were several other sources of income apart from agric produce and no one was ever asked tithe of their income. Examples of other professions then are; carpenters, builders, fishermen, soldiers, tent makers, tailors, servants, labourers, jewellers and tax collectors.

Your also using the word phrase 'God might' bolded above betrays the fact that you and other tithe promoters are adding their opinions to scripture. If God wanted us to tithe, it would have been clearly instructed in scripture and not be a subject of speculation.
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by CANTICLES: 3:52pm On Nov 06, 2014
Absurdity Of Religion
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by CANTICLES: 3:57pm On Nov 06, 2014
christemmbassey:
where do our national treasure looters/armed robbers/theives/scammers/yahoo boys pay their ioots?
funny but true question
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 26, 2014
[quote author=YorubaJesus post=27078289]

Are you sure of this? Does Redeem pay tithes to Winners chapel or to another church? How do you know Winners actually does this?[/quote
I attend winners
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by chillykelly86(m): 10:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
The letter kills but the Spirit gives life.
The letter, the written code(in our churches nowadays, they're more of "the unwritten code" ) says bring in the tithes and offerings or the canker worms and caterpillars will devour ...

The Spirit says "give".
God "gave" his Son ....
Jesus "gave" his life ...
In the footsteps of God and Christ, you should "give", not out of compulsion(as many make the tithes, offerings, etc to look) but with a cheerful heart.
If you have made up your mind to give your life, give it to Christ;
If you have made up your mind to give your time, give it to serve the Lord;
If your mind is made up to give your money, give it to the needy, the poor and all those who are doing the work of the Lord in various mission fields.

I understand Jesus' response to the pharisees where he mentioned tithes as, "(If you wanted to keep the whole law and be justified by it), you should have done the latter(the greater matters of the law-righteousness, justice and mercy) without ignoring the former(tithing). In any case, Jesus made it clear that both the former(less important) and the latter(more important) were "MATTERS OF THE LAW". But we are not under law but under grace.

In simple terms, anyone demanding(demands have to do with obligations-law) tithes or offerings from a Christian who has been set free from the law is doing a great disservice to Christ.

2 Likes

Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by gableraja(m): 1:34pm On Dec 18, 2015
All of you are are babes and d decil has blindfolded you...Go and read your bible and let the Holy Spirit teach you...Men can guide you into deceit but HE the Spirit of Truth will guide you into ALL TRUTH...

Most people are contributing like babies (I am sure dat is what u re)...U better go and read ur bible very well and ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding into Mysteries...Tithe is as relevant as everything you know in ur life is relevant...

Go and Read Mat 23:23...Read, Meditate and Implement

For the guys that posted the question I see dat u know ur answer already that is why u keep supporting those that flow in line with your thought...You better find a home church like someone said and be sending ur tithe there...What Pastors do with tithe does not concern you what concerns you is your obedience to God...

All those sharing and distributing of tithes is against scripture.....Remember for those that are quoting scripture wrongly Giving is different from tithing...Go and read ur scripture and stop displaying your ignorance here...
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by emmatina(f): 5:06pm On Dec 18, 2015
so tithes are not meant for Christians? who is God referring to bring all tithes in d store house according to Malachi 3:10 or am misinterpreting d bible?
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by firstking01(m): 5:38pm On Dec 18, 2015

dis is one of d reason i dnt like visiting dis sectionof nairalansad...because too many mumus and morons plenty here

dis is one of d reason i dnt like visiting dis sectionof nairalansad...because too many mumus and morons plenty here...and i'm sure u belong to one of dis pentecostal churches, y nt go and ask ur pst, cos i knw he knws d answer to dis?
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 18, 2015
Am not a jew. So why would I pay tithe?
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by David0(m): 7:56pm On Dec 18, 2015
JOESAJIB:
Am not a jew. So why would I pay tithe?

U don't have to be a jew to pay ur tithe.
When it comes to paying tithe some people are beginning to tag it as an instruction given by God to d Jews not Christians.

We seem to have forgotten we are d branch grafted to the tree. Now I wonder where that branch gets its food dat makes it grow along wt d tree.

God's instruction to the Jews is to us all.
No be by force to pay tithe, it's btw u and God.
Re: If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious by Ymodulus: 8:11pm On Dec 18, 2015
For an omnipotent being, God really does suck at doing anything he wants.

He can't make his own money, he can't convince people to follow him through merit and proof, he can't stop people from killing each other, he can't even help his favorite football teams win! What good is he?

Will God come by and help me with Comcast's private collection agency? Will god come and explain to my mortgage broker that it's all good, my tithe is up to date so I can skip a few mortgage payments? Later on will God feed me when I'm stuck living under a bridge?

David0:

U don't have to be a jew to pay ur tithe.
When it comes to paying tithe some people are beginning to tag it as an instruction given by God to d Jews not Christians.
We seem to have forgotten we are d branch grafted to the tree. Now I wonder where that branch gets its food dat makes it grow along wt d tree.
God's instruction to the Jews is to us all.
No be by force to pay tithe, it's btw u and God.
Lies!!!!

The tithing instruction is not meant for modern days christian.

The false teaching is that Jesus taught tithing in Matthew 23:23 which (they say) is clearly in the New Testament.

The New Covenant did not begin at the birth of Jesus, but at his death (Gal 3:19, 24, 25; 4:4, 5). Tithing is not taught to the church after the cross! When Jesus discussed tithing in Matthew 23:23, “you” referred to “you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites” who had made the Law a burden. Jesus endorsed and supported Old Covenant law until the cross. (Note “matters of the law” in 23:23). In Matthew 23:2 and 3 (the context of 23:23) Jesus told his Jewish followers to obey the scribes and Pharisees “because they sit in Moses’ seat.” Yet He did not (and could not) command Gentiles whom He healed to present themselves to the priests and obey the Law of Moses (compare Matt 5:23-24 and 8:4). And churches do not collect tithes from garden herbs as Jesus commanded.

There is not a single New Testament Bible text which teaches tithing after the cross! Acts 2:42-47 and 4:32-35 are not examples of tithing to support church leaders. According to 2:46 the Jewish Christians continued to worship in the Temple. And according to 2:44 and 4:33, 34 church leaders shared what they received equally with all church members. (This is not done today).

Finally Acts 21:20-25 proves that Jewish Christians were still zealously observing all of the Mosaic Law 30 years later –and that must include tithing—otherwise they would not have been allowed inside the Temple to worship. Therefore, any tithes collected by the early Jewish Christians were given to the Temple system and not to support the church.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The World Is Mourning Muhammad Ali — Even Anti-muslim Donald Trump / Numerology Etc. / The Deception Of The Roman Catholic Mass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.