Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,416 members, 7,781,208 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:39 AM

Learning African Languages - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learning African Languages (14267 Views)

African Languages And Cultures Need To Be Eliminated As Soon As Possible. / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / European Languages Are Killing African Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 10:37pm On Oct 16, 2014
spotit:
bruv, as a fulaman you are, i take it that you're not digging deep into the afro-asiatic roots linking your native language with all the other semitic languages because even in my ears, susanna sounds chadic already and i get that weird feeling when you include my heartthrob's name in your list.

if nigerians had a collective complex, it must be in the superiority cos the average nigerian doesn't take no nor orders anywhere... even from your glorified whiteman.

My native language is Fulfulde, not Hausa. My language is a Niger-Congo Senegambian branch language. The Fulani language is quite different from Hausa which does indeed have Afro-Asiatic roots. The only thing Fulani people and Hausa people have in common is religion. Other than that, the cultures are quite different. The Hausa are a Chadic people whilst we Fulani are a Senegambian people (like the Wolof and Serer).
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 16, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...Bro, most Igbos being predominantly christians answer christian(biblical) names such as Thomas, Paul, Philip, Michael etc. It is very hard to see Igbo people bearing names like Brad, Bobby, Bradley, Woods which are purely English names...so where's that coming from? You brought up this English name thingy in the first place when there was not an iota of that mentioned here previoously.

How about Hausas who bear 99% arabic names and hardly hausa names? Aren't arabs caucasians too? Well, maybe yellow caucasians. What's left of the hausa culture except the language? A culture usurped by everything arabic and the only evidence left of a once-flourishing culture is the langauge which has been heavily influenced by Arabic. In fact, I am yet to come across a typical hausa name or surname. Almost every name borne by a hausa is arabic...mohammed, ibrahim, musa, abdullahi. These people take arabic names in light of the religion which they represent. Why get worked up over christians taking up christian names which happen to be biblical and English? In your definition of inferiority complex, the hausas properly fit your definition. Nothing's left of their culture except their arabic-heavily-influenced language. You ought to channel your activism towards them. wink

simple. He should grind his axe with the arabs...mean people who have profiteered forever from human degradation and slave labour. those lots took the jews and Portuguese into and around africa and india with an oppressive religion to wipe away cultures older and different from theirs.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

My native language is Fulfulde, not Hausa. My language is a Niger-Congo Senegambian branch language. The Fulani language is quite different from Hausa which does indeed have Afro-Asiatic roots. The only thing Fulani people and Hausa people have in common is religion. Other than that, the cultures are quite different. The Hausa are a Chadic people whilst we Fulani are a Senegambian people (like the Wolof and Serer).
but y'all evolved from a common lot...the caspian culture
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 10:43pm On Oct 16, 2014
spotit:
but y'all evolved from a common lot...the capsian culture

Absolutely not, there is hardly anything in common with Fulani culture and anything Caspian. Fulani culture is completely traditional and has been around for thousands of years. From the Cattle herding to the Milk maids, to Tabital Pulaaku, Fulani culture is distinct. Serer culture is very close, but still has its differences (because the Serer are not nomads).

What does this Mbororo'en/Wodaabe Fulani culture have to do with Arabs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whScUOYWHRw
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

Absolutely not, there is hardly anything in common with Fulani culture and anything Caspian. Fulani culture is completely traditional and has been around for thousands of years. From the Cattle herding to the Milk maids, to Tabital Pulaaku, Fulani culture is distinct. Serer culture is very close, but still has its differences (because the Serer are not nomads).

What does this Mbororo'en/Wodaabe Fulani culture have to do with Arabs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whScUOYWHRw
hnm...this is news. caspian is what culture? spreading from NE Africa through all north and central africa and reaching the bounds of Gaul, spain and Rome...? the olden tuareg, berber, Moor, hausa, maghreb...5th century immigrant Vandals....bro you're surprising me. Caspian culture is totally different and unrelated to the Caspian Sea, if that's worth mentioning.
Re: Learning African Languages by bigfrancis21: 11:23pm On Oct 16, 2014
fightforchange1:
@ bigfrancis try urbandictionary.Com
Look up black names...

LOL! grin
Re: Learning African Languages by bigfrancis21: 11:28pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

Actually Hausa names are quite common. Like the Igbo, the Hausa keep their last names. Their first names tend to be Arabised West African variations of the original.

Maigari is completely Hausa, no Arab influence smiley
Dangote is a completely Hausa name, no Arab influence
Shata is completely Hausa

Anything with 'Dan', 'Mai' like Danladi or Maiguida, etc. etc. are pure Hausa names. Whilst the Hausa have admittedly borrowed elements of Arab culture, their music which involves Gurmi, Kalangu, Goje/Goge, Kontigi, etc. etc. is purely Hausa. Arabs and Hausas sing completely differently. In general stuff from the Sahel is much different from the Arab world. Yes, the religion has had some influence on the Hausa culture, however the Hausa and Arab cultures are quite distinct.

What's the actual percentage of those names compared to the all-pervasive arabic names in Hausaland? In the Igbo situation, it is rare to find Igbos bearing last English names. The numbers are actually very very few in number, apparently taking after their father's or grandfather's first name which is usually christian and English. Stella Damasus for example.

Most Igbo names are by default in this format,
Igbo middle name, English first name, Igbo last name. Eg, Iheanacho Sullivan Chime, Anayo Rochas Okorocha etc.
Some Igbos just bear straight up all Igbo names, no English names. Oguchi Chijioke Onyewu, for example. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oguchi_Onyewu

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 12:57am On Oct 17, 2014
bigfrancis21:

What's the actual percentage of those names compared to the all-pervasive arabic names in Hausaland? In the Igbo situation, it is rare to find Igbos bearing last English names. The numbers are actually very very few in number, apparently taking after their father's or grandfather's first name which is usually christian and English. Stella Damasus for example.

Most Igbo names are by default in this format,
Igbo middle name, English first name, Igbo last name. Eg, Iheanacho Sullivan Chime, Anayo Rochas Okorocha etc.
Some Igbos just bear straight up all Igbo names, no English names. Oguchi Chijioke Onyewu, for example. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oguchi_Onyewu

I'd say it varies from region to region in Hausaland. I'd like to say more than 50%, though from a scientists point of view I would have to have a proper sample size of the Hausa population, though based on my observations over 50%.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 1:00am On Oct 17, 2014
spotit:
hnm...this is news. caspian is what culture? spreading from NE Africa through all north and central africa and reaching the bounds of Gaul, spain and Rome...? the olden tuareg, berber, Moor, hausa, maghreb...5th century immigrant Vandals....bro you're surprising me. Caspian culture is totally different and unrelated to the Caspian Sea, if that's worth mentioning.

What I'm saying is that are there Islamic elements in Fulani culture, yes of course. However, we have our own distinct culture. The Igbos for example are Christian but their culture is still distinct. Same with the Yoruba who have both Muslims and Christians, and the Edos that also have Muslims and Christians. At the end of the day, we are still Africans and have practices not found in other cultures. Evidence of this, is the Fulani gerewol and Fulani sharu.
Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 7:38am On Oct 17, 2014
bigfrancis21:

LOL! grin

All names worldwide r on there...
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 17, 2014
Fulaman198:

What I'm saying is that are there Islamic elements in Fulani culture, yes of course. However, we have our own distinct culture. The Igbos for example are Christian but their culture is still distinct. Same with the Yoruba who have both Muslims and Christians, and the Edos that also have Muslims and Christians. At the end of the day, we are still Africans and have practices not found in other cultures. Evidence of this, is the Fulani gerewol and Fulani sharu.
alright, but even as aboriginal as you want to ascribe the Fulani, you can't very much compare them with the igbo because their roots(as with all sahelian cultures) have always been mobile and dynamic from time immemorial as opposed to the more autochtonous cultures of the guinea savanna where the igbo fall in conspicuously.

I mean, even before the Muhammedan marauders reached them, the first Fulani had always migrated from somewhere NE Africa with original afro-asiatic characteristics(*put linguistic links and susan closer to you than the "foolişh" whiteman here...haha) to the Senegambian belt you're talking about, while people like the Igbo will tell unfounded stories of their migratory origins or the Yoruba will tell distinctively creationist stories starting from Oduduwa..

anyways, the topic^ is for another thread
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:36am On Oct 17, 2014
spotit:
alright, but even as aboriginal as you want to ascribe the Fulani, you can't very much compare them with the igbo because their roots(as with all sahelian cultures) have always been mobile and dynamic from time immemorial as opposed to the more autochtonous cultures of the guinea savanna where the igbo fall in conspicuously.

I mean, even before the Muhammedan marauders reached them, the first Fulani had always migrated from somewhere NE Africa with original afro-asiatic characteristics(*put linguistic links and susan closer to you than the "foolişh" whiteman here...haha) to the Senegambian belt you're talking about, while people like the Igbo will tell unfounded stories of their migratory origins or the Yoruba will tell a distinctively creationist stories starting from Oduduwa..

anyways, the topic^ is for another thread

Everything you said here is completely wrong. We migrated from Northwest Africa, not Northeast. There is nothing Afro-Asiatic about us that is oyibo man nonsense.

Fulani language (Pular/Fulfulde) is 90% similar to Serer language and 75% similar to Wolof.

Many aboriginal groups in the Sahel like the Zarma/Dendi/Songhai which are all the same group with different names or the Nilotic people in Southern Sudan like the Dinka and Nuer all have similar cultures to us the Fulani. However, there are differences as well. Islam is a main component to some Fulani clans, to some clans it is not. The Mbororo'en Fulani don't want anything to do with Islam, as a result they practise the most traditional Fulani culture today which is purely and completely African. No outside influence whatsoever.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2014
Fulaman198:

Everything you said here is completely wrong. We migrated from Northwest Africa, not Northeast. There is nothing Afro-Asiatic about us that is oyibo man nonsense.

Fulani language (Pular/Fulfulde) is 90% similar to Serer language and 75% similar to Wolof.

Many aboriginal groups in the Sahel like the Zarma/Dendi/Songhai which are all the same group with different names or the Nilotic people in Southern Sudan like the Dinka and Nuer all have similar cultures to us the Fulani. However, there are differences as well. Islam is a main component to some Fulani clans, to some clans it is not. The Mbororo'en Fulani don't want anything to do with Islam, as a result they practise the most traditional Fulani culture today which is purely and completely African. No outside influence whatsoever.
start a new thread.
in the meantime, show strong evidences and put links not just stating that you fall into the Atlantic/western Niger-Congo language group.

completely herder/pastoralist culture that's the same as most ancient middle-eastern nomadic people's. your cultures have been and are still shaped by arid/wilderness influences....in fact, desertification drove your ancestors to those north-south western parts and still drives them all over the opposite direction till now.

you will be telling us in another thousand years that the current wave of Fulani migraton down the south of nigeria didn't happen and that they originally inhabited the vegetative southern lands...

i hope that in the new thread, you're able to explain the hamito-semitic(afrasian) facial features and bodily frames of most of your tribesmen and half the population's light skin tone.
The Serer that are closely linked to you, I'm yet to figure out why as a word, it's meant to sound as Seereer(syria? sahara?) or means to dry/dried up(SEAR—burnt, scorched, withered up) in a language; and as seer/people of magic in arabic.

why would your original tribesmen vehemently reject islam, but turn back to embrace their original hausa neighbours if they didn't have some understanding/belief or things in common (and that hausa being rightfully identified as afro-asiatic before the islamic conquest)?
Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 10:44pm On Oct 17, 2014
Fulaman198:

No, Africans never had Aisha as a name before contact with Arab muslims. Aisha in Africa is a name used only by African Muslims.

Oh I get u, dude
Re: Learning African Languages by macof(m): 1:00am On Nov 09, 2014
Fulaman198:

Don't a very large population of fulani clans have Berber afro,asiatic ancestry from Northwest Africa?
This Niger-congo stuff is not pure jare
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 2:06am On Nov 09, 2014
macof:

Don't a very large population of fulani clans have Berber afro,asiatic ancestry from Northwest Africa?
This Niger-congo stuff is not pure jare

That's what Eurocentrics and some Fulani who wish they were not black say.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

HA, Fulaman, that is not true oooo....lol
Infact, there have been controversies/disagreements as to the validity of the Atlantic language family (of Niger Congo), as a valid group.
Fulaman, you assume a lot.
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 1:49am On Nov 11, 2014
I don't know about the percentages but Serer and Pulaar sound similar. Maybe it is from living with each other for a long time. Plus the Serer and Fulanis are Sanakus or cousins in the tradition.
But one big mystery remains, why do we look different?
If we are mixed and lived with the Serers why aren't they mixed too?

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 2:28am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:
I don't know about the percentages but Serer and Pulaar sound similar. Maybe it is from living with each other for a long time. Plus the Serer and Fulanis are Sanakus or cousins in the tradition.
But one big mystery remains, why do we look different?
If we are mixed and lived with the Serers why aren't they mixed too?

Thanks bro for backing me up on this one, my other bro Bororojo I think wants us to be part of Afro-Asiatic family ROFLLLL. Fulfulde/Pular is to Serer and Wolof like French is to Spanish and Portuguese.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 2:31am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo derdam, look at this cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 2:32am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

HA, Fulaman, that is not true oooo....lol
Infact, there have been controversies/disagreements as to the validity of the Atlantic language family (of Niger Congo), as a valid group.
Fulaman, you assume a lot.

Bros, why do you want us to be Afro-Asiatic so badly? it is what it is
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 2:58am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

well there are many Fulanis that like to consider themselves a separate race. I doubt Bororojo is one of them though.
It seems like he doubts the theories about our language and origin, understandably so.
But what do I know, lol
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 3:00am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

well there are many Fulanis that like to consider themselves a separate race. I doubt Bororojo is one of them though.
It seems like he doubts the theories about our language and origin, understandably so.
But what do I know, lol

I think we need to ask the elders. Though that is not very scientific and I don't think they know either. In reality, I don't think any of us know. ROFLLLLLLL you are right about there are many Fulanis that like to consider themselves a separate race. I don't know about our dear brother Bororojo though cheesy cheesy I think he does, correct me if I'm wrong Bororojo.
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 3:11am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

I think we need to ask the elders. Though that is not very scientific and I don't think they know either. In reality, I don't think any of us know. ROFLLLLLLL you are right about there are many Fulanis that like to consider themselves a separate race. I don't know about our dear brother Bororojo though cheesy cheesy I think he does, correct me if I'm wrong Bororojo.
I once a read a quote from Dan Fodio where he considered Fulanis to be a different race too, not black nor white, but Pullo. You know how the elders think too bro, wink

2 Likes

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 4:44am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

lol, What is Afro-Asiatic anyway, if not a load of hot rubbish...... I just want to be Fulani (Pullo), that is all.....
When black Africans call Fulani the Yellow people, Red people, or White people, and we the Fulbe also call them the "Baleebe" / "Bale'en" / Baleeji (Black people)- you think it's all just c-incidence?
I have noticed a trend among our people- The darker Fulani associated groups like to say Fulbe are Negro/Black etc, while the light skinned ones, like to think of themselves as a Fulani race, then some of them who travel to the west, due to their educated exposure start to get a clearer picture of a very ancient Eurasian-SSA admixture that happened long ago in the Sahara.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 4:50am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:
Bororojo derdam, look at this cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The Atlantic or West Atlantic languages[1] of West Africa are an obsolete proposed major group of the Niger–Congo languages. They are those languages west of Kru which have the noun-class systems characteristic of the Niger–Congo family; in this they are distinguished from their Mande neighbors, which do not. The Atlantic languages are highly diverse and it is now generally accepted that they do not form a valid group. Linguists such as Dimmendahl, Blench, Hyman, and Segerer classify them into three or more independent branches of Niger–Congo. The term 'Atlantic languages' is kept as a geographic term of convenience.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_languages

Note Fulaman, I am not saying that Fula and Serer or Wolof do not have their similarities, but if according to you, both languages share 90% similarity, wont a serer man be able to grab everything i am supposedly saying in Secret to my brother OmarBah?? grin grin I think not.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 4:51am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

lol, What is Afro-Asiatic anyway, if not a load of hot rubbish...... I just want to be Fulani (Pullo), that is all.....
When black Africans call Fulani the Yellow people, Red people, or White people, and we the Fulbe also call them the "Baleebe" / "Bale'en" / Baleeji (Black people)- you think it's all just c-incidence?
I have noticed a trend among our people- The darker Fulani associated groups like to say Fulbe are Negro/Black etc, while the light skinned ones, like to think of themselves as a Fulani race, then some of them who travel to the west, due to their educated exposure start to get a clearer picture of a very ancient Eurasian-SSA admixture that happened long ago in the Sahara.

LOL bros the funny thing is that I am not amongst the darkest of Fulani, but I do recognise myself as black and African (maybe it's because I did my University in the West a few years ago). Ask Omar Bah, he lives in America, it does not matter what complexion you are, you are can be yellow or red, they will see you as a black even if you have the stereotypical Fulani nose (they may even call you a sand n****er).

Are you a Pullo Daneejo?
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 4:53am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_languages

Note Fulaman, I am not saying that Fula and Serer or Wolof do not have their similarities, but if according to you, both languages share 90% similarity, wont a serer man be able to grab everything i am supposedly saying in Secret to my brother OmarBah?? grin grin I think not.

Spanish and Portuguese for example I guess you can add Italian (not French because of pronunciation and annunciation) are extremely close and similar languages some words are the same too.

A few years ago, there used to be a Senegalese girl who came to this site, her name was Thiendella. She was a Wolof girl, dark skinned and very beautiful. She told me that school in wolof in "jang" I was shocked because in Fulfulde it's jangirde. Now tell me isn't that a similarity?
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 4:53am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

I once a read a quote from Dan Fodio where he considered Fulanis to be a different race too, not black nor white, but Pullo. You know how the elders think too bro, wink

but isn't he right?
I mean, at that time, they had no concept of race as defined in the modern world today..... Okay, deny the fact that our people historically call Negros "Balee'en" ..... Not until the advent of islam did they start dropping that term a bit, and started seeing all Muslims as people under the same umbrella.... it them shifted from race based viewing prisms to a religious based one- It became the believers {Julbe) and the Pagans {Heferbe/Kefero, Kaado/Haabe, Kirdi} etc....
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 4:56am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

but isn't he right?
I mean, at that time, they had no concept of race as defined in the modern world today..... Okay, deny the fact that our people historically call Negros "Balee'en" ..... Not until the advent of islam did they start dropping that term a bit, and started seeing all Muslims as people under the same umbrella.... it them shifted from race based viewing prisms to a religious based one- It became the believers {Julbe) and the Pagans {Heferbe/Kefero, Kaado/Haabe, Kirdi} etc....

ROFLLLLL you and Axum would get along smiley, I mean with the utmost respect. I admire the respect you have for our people and the fact that you don't have a Westernised view. However, if you go to Europe or America, we are classified as Balee'en or black people.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 4:58am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

Spanish and Portuguese for example I guess you can add Italian (not French because of pronunciation and annunciation) are extremely close and similar languages some words are the same too.

A few years ago, there used to be a Senegalese girl who came to this site, her name was Thiendella. She was a Wolof girl, dark skinned and very beautiful. She told me that school in wolof in "jang" I was shocked because in Fulfulde it's jangirde. Now tell me isn't that a similarity?

Serer and Fulfulde are very different bro, not even close to the similarity that the child languages of "Mother Latin" share..

Look at written serer bro, How uch of it can you decipher?

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:00am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Serer and Fulfulde are very different bro, not even close to the similarity that the child languages of "Mother Latin" share..

Look at written serer bro, How uch of it can you decipher?

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Maybe when spoken it sounds different from how its written

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

There Are Many Igbos In Rivers State. / Update From The Burial Of Emir Of Lafia, Isa Mustafa [PHOTOS] / What Is Christmas In Your Native Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.