Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,730 members, 7,806,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed (2472 Views)

Secrets Of Business Success (Facts You Don't Learn In Business School) / Dangote All Smiles Over His $600 Million Dangote Cement Plant In Ethiopia (photo / Dangote On Business, Success & Going Global (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed by chuqudy(m): 11:04pm On Oct 12, 2014
I use to believe that Dangote did not go to high institution. But his biography which I read in the process of creating this post made me realize that he was also a great scholar from Al-Azhar University Cairo, Egypt where he studied how to do business. Yes, business studies generally involve theoretical, and perhaps also practical, coursework in how to manage a company, construct a business model and generally run a business. They may also involve the study of accounting, entrepreneurship, finance, marketing and/or supply chain management. These were the things he studied. One may probably say that Dangote would not have done so well in business as he has done if he had not gone to an Egyptian University to study business studies. But wait, there are many Nigerians who have studied the same course in Havard University which was ranked the best University in the whole wide world. Many of them ended up as mere employees in poor firms.

Then, what were the secrets behind Dangote success?

1. Manufacture; don’t just trade
Here Dangote was quoted: “Manufacture, don’t just trade. There is money in manufacturing even though it is capital intensive. To achieve a big breakthrough, I had to start manufacturing the same product I was trading on; which is commodities.”

2. Build a brand, and don’t destroy it
He was also quoted here: “To succeed in business, you must build a brand and never destroy it. One competitive advantage I had when I ventured into manufacturing was my brand “Dangote,” which I diligently built in the course of my trading commodities.”

3. Sell cheap, give quality and don’t kill the competition
Another quotation atributed to Dangote is the following: “Don’t kill the competition. Competition is healthy for businesses. It keeps you the entrepreneur on your toes.”

4. Start small but dream big
Dangote said “I built a conglomerate and emerged the richest black man in the world in 2008 but it didn’t happen overnight. It took me thirty years to get to where I am today. Youths of today aspire to be like me but they want to achieve it overnight. It’s not going to work. To build a successful business, you must start small and dream big. In the journey of entrepreneurship, tenacity of purpose is supreme.”

5. Have connections and pray for a big break
I agree with the idea that business connections is a great business success secret. Aliko Dangote has a strong business network and political connections. I also agree that increasing your corporate social responsibility, signing joint ventures and partnership deals, forming strategic alliances, attending business events and parties, making political donations and paying courtesy visits to those at the helm of affairs, you can build your connections and strengthen your network in the business world.

6. Believe there is money to be made in your country
Money can be made anywhere including in Nigeria. I do hear that even in war fronts in some war torn countries, many Nigerians can still be found struggling to make money there. Why suffering themselves and risking their lives there while there are many opportunities in their country. While some rich Nigerians are busy investing in other countries and investing no tangible thing in Nigeria, Dangote is busy investing and making billions of dollars in the country. Dangote said ''let me tell you this and I want to really emphasize it...nothing is going to help Nigeria like Nigerians bringing back their money. If you give me $5 billion today, I will invest everything here in Nigeria. Let us put our heads together and work.

7. All work and less play makes Jack a rich man
“I enjoy myself a lot but I derive more joy in working. I believe in hard work and one of my business success secrets is hard work. It’s hard to see a youth that will go to bed by 2am and wake up by 5am. I don’t rest until I achieve something.” – Aliko Dangote

8. Give back to those who made you
Dangote and any reasonable person does this. I would also say that you should also give to those who did not contribute anything to your success. This boosts your popularity and your business as well.

9. Obey the laws of the land
Yes many people in Nigeria today made their money through wicked and corrupt means, that does not dismiss the idea that it pays to be law abiding. Dangote, the richest man in Nigeria and Africa is not known to be in any illegal business.

10. Business must flow in your blood
I concur to this. After all, we read in his biography that Dangote said "I can remember when I was in primary school, I would go and buy cartons of sweets (sugar boxes) and I would start selling them just to make money. I was so interested in business, even at that time." To cut it short, I would say that doing business is his hobby. This number ten must be his greatest secret because it summaries the other 9 secrets.

Source: http://nairamagnates..com/2014/10/discussing-more-about-dangote.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 12, 2014
make thievy politician friends and divert stolen state funds, privatise national companies and buy them up indirectly

2 Likes

Re: The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed by chuqudy(m): 7:45pm On Oct 13, 2014
spotit:
make thievy politician friends and divert stolen state funds, privatise national companies and buy them up indirectly

I disagree.
Re: The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed by hungryboy(m): 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2014
Dangote was born in a rich family with connections, he took advantage of those connections and made himself rich,
As a businessman if u are not from a rich home with connections, the think u need most is luck,
if u no get luck i swear your name for business world na failure
Re: The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed by OCTAVO: 8:30pm On Oct 13, 2014
Hmmmmmmm....
I've learnt new things today again.
If una like, make una dey criticise Dangote.
Re: The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed by kilimanjaro(m): 10:53pm On Oct 13, 2014
Endorsed!!!

But why should I sleep by 2am and wake by 5am? This could happen only if I live in Sango and my office is in V.I.

2 Likes

Re: The Secrets Behind Dangote's Business Success Finally Exposed by hunkydory(m): 11:23pm On Oct 13, 2014
These are not secrets but strategies.Behind every successful man is a secret he can never reveal.There are company secrets which his competitors must not know.You think he would just come out and tell the world the secrets of his company and success?I dont think so.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Alaba Business Mogul FEDAN & His Wife Who Died In Fatal Accident Buried(photos) / Coltan For Sale / Duplex at creek avenue court lekki going fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.