Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... (4598 Views)

I Need A Bulk Sms Site Dat Is Cheap / Apply For Wordpress Website Designing Payment Is Cheap But Work Is Constant / Cheap Website Designer Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by designexploit(m): 8:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
For Those who design cheap website for Clients, I want to ask your this:

1. What kind of design do you give to your clients that make your work to be cheap?
2. How much do you charge for your cheap web design work?
3. Is that your own way for competing with other serious designer?

Please, stop deceiving these clients. Its better to do nothing than to do a cheap web design for a client who wants the best. Website is not CorelDraw application. Its has to do with some programming and setting up of some web application which makes it interactive. So I wonder what you mean by cheap website design.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by jos4kay: 3:26pm On Oct 16, 2014
It pains my heart when designers sell themselves cheap.

1 Like

Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by Sibrah: 4:09pm On Oct 16, 2014
Only if you see the handiwork of our web designers. Some took good templates and mess them up in the name of delivering a unique work.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by moderatorr: 7:15am On Oct 17, 2014
Sibrah:
Only if you see the handiwork of our web designers. Some took good templates and mess them up in the name of delivering a unique work.
Very pathetic, there is one of them stalking me now on every thread for pointing out that he charged way too little for such a large project and will end up not possibly delivering.
Some clients, pay too little because they dont understand the complexity of input involved, its the duty of the developer to explain things to them b4 agreeing on a prize.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by jos4kay: 11:00am On Oct 17, 2014
follow this thread, you will laugh. A funny case of N5k website

https://www.nairaland.com/1901056/scam-alert-involving-web-designer

2 Likes

Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by CreativeWeb(m): 11:32am On Oct 17, 2014
@OP, what do you take coreldraw to be? Do you know that a small logo designed with coreldraw can cost 5000 USD?

Concerning ur post, web design is in categories. There is no sane person that will build any custom web app or custom wordpress site for less than 200k. But someone like me who is a wordpress geek can customize a wordpress theme for 20k. With 20k and under one day, I can customize a premium theme and it will look awesome. I am an html5, css3 and php expert. But there is not client ready to pay for custom website. So what I do is that I have a premium account with some wordpress market places. I can simply get a theme, install and add plugins and tweak the website to my client's taste.

The point is that some people doesnt have integrity and they dont know even basic html. So even if you pay them 200k, they wil stil not deliver an awesome website.

Go to freelancer.com and see core web developers ready to build a custom web app for you within 14 days for 500 USD (80k Naira).

So if you have the skill and knowledge, u can bring down ur cost and build portfolio and relationship.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 17, 2014
Some reasons why they are cheap:

- They do not design the template
- They do not design the application backend
- They use pre-built web templates and modify
- They use already built web applications.

I do not believe in so called designers who use a script for design.. I mean, a script that is already done(I don't care if they paid for it)

For example, if i want you as a designer to design/develop a blog for me, i would not accept Wordpress as a Portfolio , neither would i accept any pre-made blogging script/application.. I expect an application Built From Scratch!!!!!! Not something i can easily download/install myself.

Now tell me, how many Nigerians* Let alone Nigerian Developers* can develop a web application from scratch? Without Using another existing app? 99% Blogs in Nigeria are using Pre-made blog solutions e.g Wordpress, blogger, etc.... 98% SMS Websites are using Pre-made SMS Softwares... I have not yet seen one Nigerian website using a Never-before-seen application.. No matter what platform the website is..

So Mr OP, they have to be cheap... Those who claim to be expensive, good for them, if they find the clients who would buy it... Left to me, if you are to design a website for me, you would build from scratch in the programming language that i choose.. That is what makes you a developer.. Anything outside that.. Better be cheap!!!

-Signed-- Victor!

1 Like

Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by CreativeWeb(m): 11:44am On Oct 17, 2014
So what is important is knowing what you are doing very well. Be ready to offer it for free so that the person wil be overtaken by ur excellency and competency and he wil give u a bigger job. This is why people spend months to code a wordpress theme or plugin and make it available for free or for $5. So cheap. But not true. They ar looking at how many people that wil buy it.

Web design is a software thing. Aside domain, hosting and data bundle, every other thing is done wit ur expertise.

If after paying for domain, hosting and data plan, i stil have 10k gain, then it's ok for me for now. If i make this 10k every week, i think i wil be able to feed myself and pay my bills.

What is important is becoming a web entrepreneur. And then think of a web app or service to build that wil be making us steady income. Freelancing doesnt give bulk money like that.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by maekhel(m): 12:35pm On Oct 17, 2014
coolsix:
Left to me, if you are to design a website for me, you would build from scratch in the programming language that i choose
that won't be a problem as long as you are ready to pay the price.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by onyengbu: 1:34pm On Oct 17, 2014
coolsix:

I do not believe in so called designers who use a script for design.. I mean, a script that is already done(I don't care if they paid for it)

For example, if i want you as a designer to design/develop a blog for me, i would not accept Wordpress as a Portfolio , neither would i accept any pre-made blogging script/application.. I expect an application Built From Scratch!!!!!! Not something i can easily download/install myself.

Now tell me, how many Nigerians* Let alone Nigerian Developers* can develop a web application from scratch? Without Using another existing app? 99% Blogs in Nigeria are using Pre-made blog solutions e.g Wordpress, blogger, etc.... 98% SMS Websites are using Pre-made SMS Softwares... I have not yet seen one Nigerian website using a Never-before-seen application.. No matter what platform the website is..

So Mr OP, they have to be cheap... Those who claim to be expensive, good for them, if they find the clients who would buy it... Left to me, if you are to design a website for me, you would build from scratch in the programming language that i choose.. That is what makes you a developer.. Anything outside that.. Better be cheap!!!

-Signed-- Victor!
@ bolded, you cant really say that for sure. Not every Nigerian developer shows off their project. 99% is just too high naa. Do you know how many Nigerians on freelancer.com winning bids and delivering.
People are building great apps which might not be popular or not for Nigerian audience everyday.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 17, 2014
onyengbu:
@ bolded, you cant really say that for sure. Not every Nigerian developer shows off their project. 99% is just too high naa. Do you know how many Nigerians on freelancer.com winning bids and delivering.
People are building great apps which might not be popular or not for Nigerian audience everyday.

You have a point
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by ogzille(m): 4:11pm On Oct 17, 2014
coolsix:

-Signed-- Victor!

A couple of Nigerian developers still code from scratch.

All our jobs are scratch coded.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by CreativeWeb(m): 4:12pm On Oct 17, 2014
@coolsix, it makes no sense to build a custom cms becos of a blog. But if you hav the money, then no issues. wordpress is more robust than u can ever imagine. New York Times uses wordpress. Mashable use wordpress. Wordpress powers some of the biggest blogs on the internet. Nobody is scared of building anything from scratch as long as the client is ready to pay. Even if you decide not to use existing OS and build your own Operating System, no issues.

But here is my point. Web designing will continue to get cheaper. Web applications that enable people build robust apps without touching a code ar cropping up everyday. Right now, one can build an awesome image slider without knowing javascript or jquery.

If u learn phonegap, you can decide a mobile app without knowing java or any programming language.

Things are becoming easier and so cheaper.

3 Likes

Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by designexploit(m): 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2014
onyengbu:

I understand all that, but does that make your design cheap... a vital question that need to be answered. Don't you want to make money and more money for yourself? Will you not update these website for your clients? Your view has not really answered my question so...?
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by designexploit(m): 7:43pm On Oct 17, 2014
CreativeWeb:
@OP, what do you take coreldraw to be? Do you know that a small logo designed with coreldraw can cost 5000 USD?

Concerning ur post, web design is in categories. There is no sane person that will build any custom web app or custom wordpress site for less than 200k. But someone like me who is a wordpress geek can customize a wordpress theme for 20k. With 20k and under one day, I can customize a premium theme and it will look awesome. I am an html5, css3 and php expert. But there is not client ready to pay for custom website. So what I do is that I have a premium account with some wordpress market places. I can simply get a theme, install and add plugins and tweak the website to my client's taste.

The point is that some people doesnt have integrity and they dont know even basic html. So even if you pay them 200k, they wil stil not deliver an awesome website.

Go to freelancer.com and see core web developers ready to build a custom web app for you within 14 days for 500 USD (80k Naira).

So if you have the skill and knowledge, u can bring down ur cost and build portfolio and relationship.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by designexploit(m): 7:45pm On Oct 17, 2014
Thank your for your response... Do you ask your customers if they are satisfied? How about if your were asked to build a custom website? If you decide to use a pre-designed theme, do you know how many other hundreds of thousands who have used that same theme...? So where are you placed in the harsh face of competition We all need to be realistic and creative in this perspective. This is what makes you stand out as a professional. At least your company can have a face in the competitive world...
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by CreativeWeb(m): 8:16pm On Oct 17, 2014
www.vanguardngr.com is a wordpress theme. Can you show me just 10 websites in the world that are using the same theme? Nobody is scared of custom website. Nobody is scared of a custom CMS. Nobody is scared of building from the scratch. If a client tells me about his project. I wil explain things to him. If he wants a custom website from scratch, I wil do it. It's just that it wil cost more and take weeks or months. If he wants a premium theme customized to his taste, i will do it. It wil cost less and take days. I know html, css and php very well. So I can even manipulate any wp theme using a child-theme. It's only newbies that leave a theme the way they met it. People like us can dive into the css and turn it around and jump into the functions.php and tweak it to our purpose.

Freelancing can never give you that big money in one job. If you want to stand out, then register a company wit CAC, get a good office, employ programmers that ar experts in html5, css3, js, jq, php, mysql, ruby, python, ui and ux. then advertise it. then bankers and other corporate organisations wil come look for u.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by onyengbu: 10:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
designexploit:

I understand all that, but does that make your design cheap... a vital question that need to be answered. Don't you want to make money and more money for yourself? Will you not update these website for your clients? Your view has not really answered my question so...?

My post wasn't a view per Se, I wasn't answering your questions. I was responding to the part of the text bolded in the post I quoted
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by georgen2u(m): 1:34pm On Oct 18, 2014
coolsix:

-Signed-- Victor!
I couldn't wait to finish this thread. if you think you will milk your clients to be rich then be my guest as the trend has change. you remember Nokia Vs Tecno who laughs last... you know. if you feel you have the tech to deliver it cheap then you have my consent. on the script side. no site coder can boast of doing all stuff his/her self even your jquery or sendmail packages are from an open source library in fact forget it if you fell you do not meet up with the competitions. its your world. what code do you feel you can write? untested and vulnerable? to compare with community of developers and hackers out there coming together to developer resources to speed up web authoring... week up bro... its a web2.0 stuff...

1 Like

Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by ediko5(m): 9:13am On Oct 19, 2014
This is was i have been lamenting about website design/development in Nigeria.

Sincerely speaking when i first started as a website designer, i know had intermediate knowledge of HTML & CSS and also good knowledge about WordPress design. and then i use to charge 10k for website design.

But since i started learning professional web development (I mean real professional web development) anytime i hear about any web design/development project less than 50k, i feel like crying because having known what it takes to code a website from scratch and if he site has to do with JavaScript and PHP and other programing languages (You Know What I Mean).

Just Yesterday, a man who contacted me to build two website for him (a news/magazine website and an eCommerce website) send me a message that he has find some on FIVERR that build the websites for him for $15. That my price of 75k for the two website is too expensive. I told him that i can't collect even $300 for the work.

The presence of novice in the web design industry has made web design look cheap when the professional is an highly intellectual profession.

Sometimes i weep for myself has a future web developer and application developer.

But i have come to realized that the best way for professional developer to make money is to focus on premium themes/templates development and application development and leave the public jobs for the amateurs.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by designexploit(m): 8:35pm On Oct 28, 2014
So somebody should please tell me... what about if the client gives you a specification or a custom site. What do you do then?
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by designexploit(m): 8:36pm On Oct 28, 2014
ediko5:
This is was i have been lamenting about website design/development in Nigeria.

Sincerely speaking when i first started as a website designer, i know had intermediate knowledge of HTML & CSS and also good knowledge about WordPress design. and then i use to charge 10k for website design.

But since i started learning professional web development (I mean real professional web development) anytime i hear about any web design/development project less than 50k, i feel like crying because having known what it takes to code a website from scratch and if he site has to do with JavaScript and PHP and other programing languages (You Know What I Mean).

Just Yesterday, a man who contacted me to build two website for him (a news/magazine website and an eCommerce website) send me a message that he has find some on FIVERR that build the websites for him for $15. That my price of 75k for the two website is too expensive. I told him that i can't collect even $300 for the work.

The presence of novice in the web design industry has made web design look cheap when the professional is an highly intellectual profession.

Sometimes i weep for myself has a future web developer and application developer.

But i have come to realized that the best way for professional developer to make money is to focus on premium themes/templates development and application development and leave the public jobs for the amateurs.

now that's exactly what I'm talking about... smiley
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by CreativeWeb2: 9:03pm On Oct 28, 2014
[quote
author=designexploit post=27532553]So somebody should please tell me...
what about if the client gives you a specification or a custom site.
What do you do then?[/quote]

Then I charge him very well and build the custom web app for him. But if he wants a basic website, i can do that wit wp for 20k.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by ediko5(m): 11:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
Imagine someone who claim to be a practicing medical doctor and also a web designer, designing website for N10k.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by ZinoFego: 8:59am On Oct 30, 2014
There is one vital point no one has talked about. Here it is; debugging codes written by someone else. If a coder falls out with a client, aside the fact that the client will pay much more to get someone else to get the website functional, it'll be very likely difficult for the new coder to understand the codes of the first person. This may lead the client to starting all over again. I've found myself in more than one occasion.

Is any website actually coded from the scratch? I do not think so. Let me explain this, the compiler and IDE that you using as a coder is similar to the same platform used by a Joomla or WordPress platform user. You'll write your codes but depend on a compiler and IDE to generate your website. On the other hand, the Joomla guy enters a his parameters, his website is generated. The coder didn't develop the compiler neither did the Joomla/WordPress guy develop his platform.

Except a firm has an IT department with employed website developer(s), I wouldn't advice using a "coded" from scratch website because it'll be too expensive to maintain.

Please use what's is convenient for you and let the other rest.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by ediko5(m): 12:20pm On Oct 30, 2014
ZinoFego:
There is one vital point no one has talked about. Here it is; debugging codes written by someone else. If a coder falls out with a client, aside the fact that the client will pay much more to get someone else to get the website functional, it'll be very likely difficult for the new coder to understand the codes of the first person. This may lead the client to starting all over again. I've found myself in more than one occasion.

Is any website actually coded from the scratch? I do not think so. Let me explain this, the compiler and IDE that you using as a coder is similar to the same platform used by a Joomla or WordPress platform user. You'll write your codes but depend on a compiler and IDE to generate your website. On the other hand, the Joomla guy enters a his parameters, his website is generated. The coder didn't develop the compiler neither did the Joomla/WordPress guy develop his platform.

Except a firm has an IT department with employed website developer(s), I wouldn't advice using a "coded" from scratch website because it'll be too expensive to maintain.

Please use what's is convenient for you and let the other rest.

My oga, i think you are out of the point here please. Yes using CMS to build a website makes it easy for a novice in web design to update and put contents into a website also enable many people to work on that site.
But the theme used in building the website on any CMS platform was actually coded from scratch before it was made a CMS compatible (say Joomla).
let's assume that everyone who will use Joomla to build a site will have to code his/her website from scratch before working on the theme to make it Joomla compatible, will web design be cheap tthe way it is?
please it's not easy to learn professional web development so let us not look down on the professional and make it look cheap.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by ZinoFego: 12:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
In respect to Joomla that I'm quite very familiar with, even those coded templates were developed using IDEs or compilers. In the sense of that, no one is actually coding from the scratch because somewhere along the line, you'll be lifted, you'll need help of an application or two to arrive.

ediko5:

My oga, i think you are out of the point here please. Yes using CMS to build a website makes it easy for a novice in web design to update and put contents into a website also enable many people to work on that site.
But the theme used in building the website on any CMS platform was actually coded from scratch before it was made a CMS compatible (say Joomla).
let's assume that everyone who will use Joomla to build a site will have to code his/her website from scratch before working on the theme to make it Joomla compatible, will web design be cheap tthe way it is?
please it's not easy to learn professional web development so let us not look down on the professional and make it look cheap.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by ediko5(m): 12:45pm On Oct 30, 2014
ZinoFego:
In respect to Joomla that I'm quite very familiar with, even those coded templates were developed using IDEs or compilers. In the sense of that, no one is actually coding from the scratch because somewhere along the line, you'll be lifted, you'll need help of an application or two to arrive.

Even with the help of some application. You did large development work.
Web designing business in Nigeria is so disgusting and embarrassing. Imagine people building eCommerce website for 5k simply because they have free access to eCommerce themes and plugins.

1 Like

Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by Sibrah: 2:16pm On Oct 30, 2014
ediko5:

Even with the help of some application. You did large development work.
Web designing business in Nigeria is so disgusting and embarrassing. Imagine people building eCommerce website for 5k simply because they have free access to eCommerce themes and plugins.
I prefer to call such a work web uploading because such a site probably has just enough items uploaded into it to help appreciate the look of the template.
In sane climes, an organisation with an e-commerce platform should have a hand in-house to help maintain the website. Imagine that staff being paid 5k alone!
Even the so called static sites require update of info from time to time, re-theming of site for events like anniversary and theme update for new features like new bar,gallery or accordion being added.
What we have most time a guy who can quickly set up CMSes in 5 days but can't extend the theme, database or code of the CMS claiming a webmaster status. If u don't know what a webmaster is all about why not specialize in a section of web related services instead of using generic titles that puts too-weight on your shoulders.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by ediko5(m): 3:16pm On Oct 30, 2014
Sibrah:

I prefer to call such a work web uploading because such a site probably has just enough items uploaded into it to help appreciate the look of the template.
In sane climes, an organisation with an e-commerce platform should have a hand in-house to help maintain the website. Imagine that staff being paid 5k alone!
Even the so called static sites require update of info from time to time, re-theming of site for events like anniversary and theme update for new features like new bar,gallery or accordion being added.
What we have most time a guy who can quickly set up CMSes in 5 days but can't extend the theme, database or code of the CMS claiming a webmaster status. If u don't know what a webmaster is all about why not specialize in a section of web related services instead of using generic titles that puts too-weight on your shoulders.

My dear you are correct, people don't know the difference between web design and development. I once met a guy who claimed to be a professional website designer but does not know how HTML code looks like and these are the people who think that web development is like typing using Microsoft Word.

5k is even much because someone told me that he found a Nigerian of Fiverr.comwho want to build a website for him @ $5 (five dollars) and up till now i don't know what will be the web designer's profit.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by Sibrah: 3:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
ediko5:

5k is even much because someone told me that he found a Nigerian of Fiverr.comwho want to build a website for him @ $5 (five dollars) and up till now i don't know what will be the web designer's profit.
Re: Those Who Design Cheap Website And Those Who Think Web Design Is Cheap... by designexploit(m): 7:34pm On Oct 30, 2014

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Will Help You Create Quality Backlinks For your Site For Free!! / Blog Or Vlog Which Is The Best Option For Your E-business In Nigeria. / How To Put A Registration Link On Wapka.mobi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.