Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? (9826 Views)

Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria / Will You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? Men Speak / Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by zboyd: 9:18pm On Oct 13, 2014
My take?

I think the reason why SOME men – not just African/Black men – don’t speak up about the abusive behavior inflicted on women by some of their fellow men is because some are either afraid, apathetic or it reflects their past or present behavior or, the behavior of some men they know. They are afraid because they don’t want to be seen as someone who breeches the honor of the “MANCODE*,” especially when it comes to women. They keep quiet because they don’t want to be pegged as a “MANGINA*.”

Holding your fellow brothers' feet to the fire, because of his brutish behavior toward women is a BIG NO-NO - a serious betrayal of the brotherhood. Other men are apathetic, in that they just don’t care. It could also be due to their negative thoughts and ideas about women, most likely stemming from how they witnessed their mothers being treated by their fathers, growing up. Such behavior was normal for them. And if their mothers accepted the abuse and stayed in the marriage, it only cemented their concept of 'this is the way men treat women'. And the last reason is because it may be the same behavior that they themselves indulge in at present or in the past. It’s the “birds of a feather flock together” mentality.

*MAN CODE: Collection of codes, rules and guidelines every man should live by.

Examples:

Rules To Live By For The Common Man - Read more at: http://www.officialmanlaws.com/

Guy Code, Man Law, Bro Code & Man Etiquette - Read more at: http://itsguycode.com/theguycode.html
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*MANGINA:

1. A derogatory term for a man who is controlled by a woman, thus has no testicles; a man totally controlled by a woman; a weak-willed man

Used in a sentence:

a. That mangina would never disobey his wife. b. That mangina just will not stand up for himself.

2. A male lackey of the feminist hate movement (Usually called a 'male feminist'), who views women as superior to men and always bows down to and agrees with women in an attempt to curry favour, especially that of his abusive, man-hating wife who will screw him over in the divorce court, ruin his life and reputation, whelp a child that isn't his and sting him for money for said child. In short, a man-slave. Almost all married men these days are manginas, and so are a slightly less number of single men.

Used in a sentence:

"Oprah's just a show for women and manginas, man!"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Why do YOU think more men don't speak up abut violence against women?

NOTE: Yes, there ARE women who DO speak out about violence against men by women as evidenced by this article by a WOMAN.

"Domestic Violence…Against Men"

Women and children are not the only one subjected to domestic violence. Men are victims of domestic violence as well.
by emievil

Read more at: http://hubpages.com/hub/Domestic-ViolenceAgainst-Men
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 13, 2014
Zboyd is back. cool cheesy kiss

grin grin grin

Kudos.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by zboyd: 9:23pm On Oct 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:
Zboyd is back. cool cheesy kiss

grin grin grin

Kudos.

lol

Instigator!
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 13, 2014
zboyd:

lol

Instigator!

cool
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Dopeyomi(m): 9:26pm On Oct 13, 2014
Make i̶̲̥̅̊ book space!
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 9:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
Same reasons why more women don't speak up against dating married men thereby contributing in breaking lots of marriages.

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
coz they are the monsters violating women embarassed
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 9:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
Same reason women cannot call out a woman who marries a man 20/30/40 years older as a gold digger.

Some of them r secretly envious...

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 13, 2014
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by joe17: 9:33pm On Oct 13, 2014
EroticAngelina:
coz they are the monsters violating women embarassed
NawaoO! Hope u knw ur Dad is a man #peace

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 9:35pm On Oct 13, 2014
Same reasons why some women can't outrightly condemn abortion.

They are guilty.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 13, 2014
Some men made a bad experience when they tried to defend a woman against her husband / boyfriend.
Even though the husband / boyfriend beat her up, she took his side when someone intervened.

I have also witnessed such scenarios.
I would always ask if the woman needs help but I would first ask her if she wants my help.
Some women don't. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 13, 2014
joe17:
NawaoO! Hope u knw ur Dad is a man #peace
yes i know. But he does not beat or violate my mom! Or anyother woman!! So that automatecally puts him out off from that list. undecided
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 9:41pm On Oct 13, 2014
Same reasons why women can't openly condemn leading men on and collecting gifts or presents from them when they know they have no intentions of dating.

They enjoy freebies.

Really though, I could go on and on... undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by bukatyne(f): 9:45pm On Oct 13, 2014
crackhaus:
Same reasons why women can't openly condemn leading men on and collecting gifts or presents from them when they know they have no intentions of dating.

They enjoy freebies.

Really though, I could go on and on... undecided

Please do, it does not change the OP though.

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2014

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 9:49pm On Oct 13, 2014
Same reasons why most women can't openly support another woman who got down on her knees to propose to a man.

They prefer having the power that comes with being the proposed-to and not the proposer... including the ones shouting equality in all things. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 13, 2014

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 9:52pm On Oct 13, 2014
bukatyne:

Please do, it does not change the OP though.
Clap for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 13, 2014
crackhaus:
Same reasons why most women can't openly support another woman who got down on her knees to propose to a man.

They prefer having the power that comes with being the proposed-to and not the proposer... including the ones shouting equality in all things. grin

You are getting carried away, aren't you?
Who cares if the woman proposes? Does she need to be defended? undecided
Sorry, I didn't know.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 9:54pm On Oct 13, 2014
Nonso23:

#every other man is a monster except my family members cheesy

Classic line

Never fails to be posted at one point in these threads

LOL

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by TV01(m): 9:55pm On Oct 13, 2014
Why?
Because there really is no need to.

The figures for violence against women are vastly exaggerated, and whilst there was always adequate legislation , there are - and often excessive and unfairly applied - increasing laws made to fight it. VAWA anyone?

What we really need to highlight is violence against men - and the criminal distortion of the figures for domestic abuse and violence. Legislation is passed and laws enforced as if this is solely a male on female crime. Wrong! Violence against men is seriously under-reported and hardly taken seriously when it is.

Violence of any kind should be taken seriously.

Zboyd, aren't you due a vacation grin?

TV

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 13, 2014
pickabeau1:
Same reason women cannot call out a woman who marries a man 20/30/40 years older as a gold digger.

Some of them r secretly envious...

You didn't like her threads and now you are here.
Disoriented ....

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 9:57pm On Oct 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You didn't like her threads and now you are here.
Disoriented ....

You are looking for another fight online
Desist from quoting me
I'm not in a mood for ur whining tonight..

Stay on your lane

Psych.....

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

You are looking for another fight online
Desist from quoting me
I'm not in a mood for ur whining tonight..

Stay on your lane

Psych.....

10 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 9:58pm On Oct 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You are getting carried away, aren't you?
Who cares if the woman proposes? Does she need to be defended? undecided
Sorry, I didn't know.
The more you people keep quoting me, the more I'm sure I'm getting through to y'all.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 13, 2014
crackhaus:

The more you people keep quoting me, the more I'm sure I'm getting through to y'all.

You haven't answered my question. undecided
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 13, 2014

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:01pm On Oct 13, 2014
I will let this slide.
Hmm

Nonso23:

Na so na.
My father is sooo good angel gabriel would be jealous.
My brother is perfect.
My cousin is such a gentleman.
My boyfriend is such a selfless, charming soul.
My husband is the human replica of love.
grin
Other men are
1) rapists
2) child abusers
3) monsters
4) monsters
5) insecure etc.
YOUR PICK
grin

Lol....thats the way the cookie crumbles..lol

All men are evil except my family members

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Oct 13, 2014
Nonso23:

Na so na.
My father is sooo good angel gabriel would be jealous.
My brother is perfect.
My cousin is such a gentleman.
My boyfriend is such a selfless, charming soul.
My husband is the human replica of love.
grin

Other men are
1) rapists
2) child abusers
3) monsters
4) monsters
5) insecure etc.

YOUR PICK
grin

You forgot my colleagues and my platonic boyfriends. You also forgot some of my e-buddies and my pastor.
And you forgot my nice neighbors and my auto mechanic.
Oh, and my hairdresser.

wink wink wink
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by bukatyne(f): 10:03pm On Oct 13, 2014
crackhaus:

Clap for yourself.

No more lines?

To think I was enjoying them grin
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 13, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Would You Spy On Your Spouse's Phone? / My Father In Law Slept With My Mother / Parents Let's Discuss; What Are Your Experiences In Child Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.