Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

UNVEILED - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / UNVEILED (7984 Views)

Love and Diamonds / A Game For Love and Marriage - Two Can Play The Game - Season 2 / Razor Tongue: A Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNVEILED by Komzzy1(f): 8:12am On Oct 19, 2014
Nice am enjoying this story

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNVEILED by gal10(f): 8:27pm On Oct 19, 2014
Wow.. A great read. Please don't stop....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 11:21pm On Oct 19, 2014
JeffreyJamez:
*drives in*
fasten ur seat belt. enjoy a different kind of romantic adventure set in Africa

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 11:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
"No, I would drop you home, I brought you here, and it is my responsibility to take you back home; more so it is late." He pleaded with her.
"Your responsibility towards me ended twenty minutes ago. I will find my way home; go home to your wife and kids." She shouted at him in anger.
"Please hear me out; there is a valid explanation for my action."
"Nothing can and will ever justify your actions. I never want to see you again and don’t bother calling me." Mabel shouted as she entered the taxi.
That was the last day she saw him.
It later dawned on her that she never really knew him. He completely broke her heart. He made efforts to see her afterwards, but she rebuffed his attempts and made it clear that it was over.
To her, the relationship never happened, they never met. It was the most painful period of her life but she got over it with dogged determination and hard work. She threw herself into work and that commitment has taken her to the top of her career. Mabel is not ashamed of her success and climb in the career ladder. She earned it. She thought and smiled, proud of her success and achievements.

“You aren’t going on a fashion exhibition, Miss Danzo.” Mabel's eyebrow rose in surprise as she turned to see Sosu, standing a few meters away from her; his gaze fixed on her luggage. Mabel had stuffed her luggage full with dresses that could last her for a month.
Sosu stepped towards her. “I took enough to last me for a few days.” Mabel answered, pulling her luggage in one hand and her handbag and camera in the other. She looked stunning in her pink suit. Her manicured nails painted pink complimented her suit. Her natural long hair was packed neatly backwards and securely knotted with a blue band.
“This is your first trip to Lagos, I presume?” Sosu asked. Mabel nodded her head in agreement. “You sure looked confused and lost yesterday. I felt you could do with some help. Lagos is my second home.” He paused. “I got in touch with a few contacts and received positive responses from them.” He fumbled through his pocket. “You are lucky. You should be home much earlier.”
Mabel was not quick enough to mask her excitement. “The annual Lagos music festival is underway.” Sosu continued. “I have here, Mr. Dare Banjo- Demuju’s manager's phone number.” He handed the piece of paper over to Mabel. “Here, the information you need. I got my personal taxi man, Okafor. He is a trusted hand, wonderful man. He drives me round town whenever I’m in Lagos, he will help you round the city.”
Mabel glanced at the piece of paper. “Thank you, sir.” She said and tucked the piece of paper into her bag.
“The annual Lagos music festival begins tonight, three days of music. There couldn’t be a better time for an interview with Demuju.” Sosu paused for a moment. “Have you ever thought of Demuju without his mask?” Mabel simply stared. “What the man looks like without his mask, been having some crazy thought lately. Do you know the impact splashing the face behind the mask on FABS would have on sales?”
Mabel gave a positive nod. She hadn’t ever thought about it until this moment. Unveiling Demuju’s face would be a hit any day. Africa would erupt.
“I wish you luck.” Sosu said. “I hope you find those pieces helpful.” He added and waved her goodbye.
Mabel stepped into the departure hall of the airport. In twenty-four hours, she should be back in Uzi. That is great news indeed.
Yesterday, she had retired early from work to prepare for the trip. She stopped by at the salon to get her hair and nails fixed. She had to make do with the little time she had to prepare, carrying in her mind a mental picture of how she wanted to look for her trip to Lagos.
Later that day, she dropped by at Dennis’s school. Dennis closes from school late in the day, as he stays back for extra tutorials after the normal school hours. Since she was traveling, she wanted to make the best use of the last few hours she had with him.
Dennis was glad to see her; it had been a while since she came to pick him from school. She had kept her trip to Lagos away from Dennis, so she was surprised when he didn’t turn up at dinner. He had locked himself in his room for hours. After several attempts by Nanny Gobe to have him come for dinner, Mabel went up to his room to persuade the little man. He finally opened the door after knocking a few minutes. His sullen face was staring out of the window.
“Hello, Dennis.” He turned at Mabel voice, his eyes snapped with displeasure. “Honey what is it this time?” Mabel had asked, walking farther into the room. “Why didn’t you come down for dinner?”
“I’m not hungry mother.”
“But you haven’t had any meal this evening.” Mabel prompted.
“I don’t want to eat anything mother. I want to go with you.” Dennis cried. Mabel was shocked. How did he know she was traveling? Then the pieces began to come together, Dennis had seen her tucking her cloths into her traveling bag. He knew she only used that bag anytime she was traveling on a long trip.
“No honey, you can’t go with me.” She could not keep it away from him any longer. Dennis was a smart young man. “I won’t be gone for long.” Mabel explained. “Just for a few days, besides you have exams to write in school.”
“I don’t want to write any exams, I don’t want to go to school.” Tears began filling his eyes.
“You will go to school honey, so you can grow into a responsible young man.” She pressed a kiss on the little man’s forehead. “Nanny Gobe will take good care of you, while I’m away. She will take you to school and back each day.”
“No way, I’m going nowhere.” His held back tears made his voice tremble.

2 Likes

Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 6:38am On Oct 21, 2014
“No way, I’m going nowhere.” His held back tears made his voice tremble.
“Tell me honey,” She placed an arm round his shoulder tenderly. “What should I get you? Do you like bicycles?” Mabel changed the subject. Dennis pulled away. “Listen honey, Momma is traveling on an official assignment. I can’t take you along.” She said. “I will be back in five days, I promise.” She assured. “I will get you a bicycle, when I return.”
“A ball too. Momma," he sighed, reverting to the less formal mode of address.
She pressed a quick kiss on his forehead, drew him towards the door and followed him down to the dining room. She spent the entire evening with him in his room, watching him as he fell asleep.
Mabel was anxious and nervous throughout the trip to Lagos. Aside her phobia for flights, the nauseating feeling about Lagos and the Epic ran through her mind. Was the crime rate as terrible as she had read? Could she survive a day at the Epic? So many questions left begging.
Despite her reservation with the Epic, she knew an interview with the famous Nigerian singer, would give her career a well-deserved boost. She had lined up several questions for the legendary singer. Sosu will be impressed this time, she reasoned. This was a good opportunity to get into his good books once again.
Uzi airways plane descended the hot cerulean sky of Muritala Mohammed airport Lagos. “Your attention please, Uzi airways airline flight 213 just landed.” A female voice announced through the speakers.
A young female attendant looked into Mabel’s passport for a moment “Do have a great time in Nigeria.” The female attendant said with a smile.
“Thank you” Mabel replied. She retrieved the passport from the attendant and tucked it inside her handbag. Mabel stepped out of the arrival hall pulling her traveling bag along, her camera hanging over her neck. The heavy presence of security officer carrying sophisticated riffles didn’t do much to calm her tensed nerves.
Mabel glanced round, taking in the foreign surrounding, her face stricken with fear. She looked confused for a moment, her fist clenched around her handbag. She wouldn’t want to be caught off guard.
“Mrs. Danzo.” The voice startled her. Mabel turned. A bulky man in his early fifties jingled a set of car keys at her. Okafor stepped towards her, a wide smile on his face. She observed him for a moment. He wore a pair of T-shirt on baggy short; he looked much older than his age.
“Mrs. Danzo” he repeated. Mabel nodded a positive gesture, as she forced a smile. “Welcome to Lagos.” Okafor continued. He held out his hand for a shake. “The name is Okafor; friends call me Man of God, got a call from Mr. Sosu, that you will be arriving this morning.” He stated. Okafor’s grip was firm, as Mabel broke free. Her eyebrow narrowed reprovingly. “Sorry Mrs.” His tone became apologetic.
Okafor extended a hand towards the luggage “Can I help you with that?” He offered. Mabel tightened her grip on her luggage, unsure of the stranger.
Okafor read her thought. “How far can an old man run, definitely won’t hit twenty meters, before security catches up with me.” Okafor gestured by raising a finger. “Wait a minute.” He fumbled through his breast pocket and found his identity card.
“Needless to say, I’m a respectably married and a gentleman.” Okafor added.
“There was nothing gentlemanly with your handshake.” Mabel responded.
Mabel handed the luggage to him. Impulsively Okafor patted his baggy short pocket. Alarmed, he placed his hand on the other pocket, relief washed over his face. He pulled out a couple of crumpled sheet of paper and a ticket.
His action brought a questioning look on Mabel’s face. “This old man could be crazy sometimes. My lottery ticket, worth a million bucks.” He smiled and tucked the sheet of paper safely back into his baggy pocket.
“How was your flight?” He walked swiftly ahead of Mabel.
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 7:09am On Oct 21, 2014
His action brought a questioning look on Mabel’s face. “This old man could be crazy sometimes. My lottery ticket, worth a million bucks.” He smiled and tucked the sheet of paper safely back into his baggy pocket.
“How was your flight?” He walked swiftly ahead of Mabel.
“Smooth.” Mabel answer was short and crisp.
“Is this your first time in Nigeria, Mrs. Danzo?” Okafor asked, as she struggled to match his pace.
“Miss Danzo.” Mabel corrected. Okafor stopped abruptly and stared at her empty finger. “What is a beautiful woman doing single?” A brow lifted in inquiry. It was more of a statement than a question. “Are young men scared of commitment?” He asked. “Well staying married isn’t the easiest of task. I often want to walk out of my marriage too. You women can be a handful.”
They stepped out of the arrival hall. “I assure you Miss Danzo.” Okafor continued. “The hawks here won’t give you a breathing space, of that I am sure.”
“That’s a good trophy to take home to my boss.” Mabel chuckled.
“How is he doing?” Okafor changed the subject and Mabel merely glanced at him “The chairman, Mr. Sosu?”
“He is good, he extends his greetings.”
“I serve as his driver, personal assistant and chief security officer whenever he comes to Lagos.” Okafor gave a cocky grin “Ten years and counting.”
“You must be very efficient.”
“I take that as a compliment. He recommends me to anyone and everyone. Mr. Sosu spreads the news of my good work round the world.” He grins.
“Now, you are international.” A giggle threatened to burst out of Mabel’s throat.
“Mr. Sosu got good eyes for ladies. He loves them young and pretty, like you,”
“He is my boss.” Mabel frowned.
“He knows each one of my kids by name and gave me a special gift, when I had my last kid. The good lord has been good to my wife and I, we are expecting our tenth child.”
Mabel threw a quick glance at Okafor. “Friends always tease, that my family is as large as a football team, but what do I care. Can’t imagine making love to my wife with a piece of nylon, she is no prostitute.”
Okafor disappeared through the front hallway and Mabel increased her pace as she tried to catch up with him. A stray motor toy on the ground clipped her legs, her heels dragged on the smooth floor as she began to fall backward. Suddenly, a pair of masculine hands held her back just in time before hitting the ground. Her frame rested on his strong arms, eyes shut in relief.
“Oh my goodness.” She wailed, embarrassed. The chubby looking kid, whose toy had caused Mabel to stumble, trembled when he saw the havoc his motor toy had done. He disappeared through the exit.
Mabel broke free of the stranger’s grip. She began to make it to her feet, and then tripped again. The stranger braced her with his arms. She felt warmth and reserved power in his grasp. “Take it easy miss.” The deep husky voice said.
Mabel glanced up into his face. The strength of his voice stirred up something within her, which excited her. He was somewhat tall and lanky. Sean Adeyemo's perfectly styled suit sat well on his imposing frame. He should be in his early thirties, thirty-three at most, she presumed.
“Are you hurt?” His brow lifted in inquiry.
“I’m just fine,” She replied as he helped her to her feet. “Thanks to you, you arrived just on time.” Mabel tossed her head backward to glance into his lean features.
The muscular length of him balanced his full height. He was more than six feet, she reasoned, most of his height were legs.
Her gaze fell at something. He followed her line of vision; on the floor were her scattered belongings, lipstick, eye pencils…. with a speed of lightning, Sean bent down and scooped the contents off the ground. Mabel watched smitten, staring after the lean figure, wide shoulder tapering into a slim waist and hips. He picked the last of her belongings and tucked it into the bag.
“Thank you.” Mabel breathed.
“It a pleasure.” He tipped his head to one side. He smiled easily, sensually revealing a crooked incisor, his face thin, nose straight and narrow. “Nice meeting you.” He had a potent smile, she decided. Not just his mouth, but also his eyes as well.
Sean's gaze fell on Mabel high heels. “Never felt comfortable walking on them. Always embarrass me.” She smiled nervously.
“It looks great on you.” He complimented.
Suddenly, the smile on Mabel’s face disappeared. Echoes of what she had heard of the city came flooding in her head. She was certainly treading dangerously with this stranger. She couldn’t trust anyone around here. Caution is the word.
“If you don’t mind” Mabel began “I got to run. Thanks once again, I do appreciate your help.” Her voice quaked. She straightened out her suit and began to walk away, leaving him standing alone. She felt his gaze on her back as she made for the exit.
Deep inside her, she felt inner peace the few seconds she had spent speaking with the stranger. Her instinct never disappointed her. He struck her as an honest, easygoing, and harmless face. Trusting her instinct doesn’t mean she should get sloppy. But… she hesitated. Andrew also looked honest and harmless only to discover that he is a snake under the green grass. I mustn't fall prey again to harmless faced and easygoing guys. She thought as she hurried along.

For a moment, Sean Adeyemo stood rooted to the spot. His gaze fell on something on the floor, his muscular frame bent down to pick up what looked like a business card. “Mabel Danzo.” Sean read off the business card, it must have fallen off the damsel’s bag, he reasoned. He looked up at Mabel’s direction. She wasn’t in sight. He slipped the business card into his suit pocket. Memories of the damsel came flashing back. He had to see her again.
Sean had first caught a glimpse of her curvy figure at the arrival hall. She had her back to him, as she was been attended to by a female attendant. He couldn’t take his eyes off the sight of the well-rounded figure. He had silently urged her to turn around, so he could catch a glimpse of the face behind the figure.
Was he impressed? Staring into those eyes as he helped her to her feet moments ago, his first thought was, wow. As a successful young entrepreneur, Sean had seen it all, but his body twitched in a too long neglected fashion. Years of being alone without the feel of a woman had taken it toil on him. Once he set eyes on her again, he will be able to vanquish the assortment of urges he was fighting. Something within told him that she is more than just a pretty face and a beautiful body. Well, we see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED by Plaitex(f): 9:44am On Oct 21, 2014
am loving this story. Thanks for the update
Re: UNVEILED by Komzzy1(f): 7:04pm On Oct 21, 2014
Nice story
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 7:19am On Oct 22, 2014
CHAPTER THREE
Okafor waved a hand in the air to catch Mabel’s attention. The heat had left her feeling drained and exhausted.
“Where have you been Miss?” Okafor asked. “I’ve been worried stiff, been looking everywhere for you.”
“Tripped,” Mabel smiled. “I couldn’t match your steps.”
“Sorry, I was probably too fast, we need to leave the airport as soon as possible, It’s a Friday, a busy day for road users,” Okafor explained. “You won’t want a taste of the Lagos traffic.” Okafor walked ahead as she followed him closely.
“Is it that bad?” Mabel asked.
“Terrible.”
“We have similar traffic situations on weekends back in my country.” Mabel said. “Lagos is a much bigger city anyway.” She added.
Okafor had parked his taxi a few meters away from the car lot, not wanting to waste time negotiating his way out of the car lot.
“I had to park my taxi some distance away as the traffic situation could get worse.” Okafor explained.
Okafor’s eyebrow rose in surprise as three airport task-force officials were tolling his car away. “Hey, what do you guys think you doing?” He shouted on top of his voice, and dashed towards them, pulling Mabel’s luggage along. “What are you guys doing” Okafor repeated, his face blazing in fury.
“Car parked on the wrong side.” An official responded. Okafor stared at the official for a moment; a bulky man in his early fifties. From the rank on his shoulder, he appeared to be the most senior official. “Is this your car gentleman?” The senior official asked.
“Does it look like yours?” Okafor asked coldly.
“Your car was obstructing the free flow of traffic.” The senior official said.
“I park my car here every other day.” Okafor countered.
“Well, things are changing around here. We are taking this car to the office. We shall sort everything out there.” The senior official stated.
“You can’t be serious.” Okafor growled. “You must be nut.” Anger thrummed in his voice. Mabel remained wordless and confused.
“You have got an option though; you could pay a fine here and now, for violating the laws of the state or risk your vehicle towed away.”
The senior official pulled out a booklet from his breast pocket and proceeded to write a penalty of Twenty thousand naira. He detached it and handed it over to Okafor.
Okafor stared at it for a few frustrating seconds and with a menacing scowl he pushed past the airport official. “You must think money grow off trees, this car is moving nowhere.” Okafor slammed his fist on the trunk of the car for emphasis “Twenty thousand naira, I don’t make that in a month.”
Mabel gestured with a raised finger to catch the leader of the team’s attention. “Can I have a word with you?” Mabel pleaded.
“We are sorry miss.” The senior official apologized. “There is very little we can do in this circumstance. You don’t need to bother your head much either.” The airport official continued, “You have to make do with another cab. We will get you another.” The senior official offered.
“I’m new here, I hardly know my way.” Mabel explained.
As Sean stepped into the car lot, his phone rang. He fumbled through his pocket. Surprised, he has had 11-missed calls from his kid sister- Becky and his face turned pale. His heart began to beat faster. His mother had been in and out of hospitals for the past eleven months. The old woman had become a shadow of herself, battling with kidney stones. He feared for the worst. He punched the digit of his phone. Becky picked it on the sixth ring.
Re: UNVEILED by gal10(f): 7:48am On Oct 22, 2014
Interesting read.. Welldone
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 9:25am On Oct 22, 2014
gal10:
Interesting read.. Welldone
thanks gal 10
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 9:26am On Oct 22, 2014
Plaitex:
am loving this story. Thanks for the update
thanks Plaitex
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 9:28am On Oct 22, 2014
Komzzy1:
Nice story
thanks Komzzy
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 9:31am On Oct 22, 2014
ABOUT THE BOOK
MABEL DANZO is content with her quiet life. She lives with her parents, sister, brother in law and an infant nephew on the tiny Island of Uzi in the Gambia. Her life took a dramatic turn after losing her family in a motor accident, leaving her alone with her nephew.
She secured a job as an editor with FABS, a popular celebrity magazine; set to hit major stands in all the West Africa states. With just days to FABS release, Mabel stepped into the office to find a furious Sosu (publisher of FABS) who felt the celebs featured on FABS, lack the cutting edge brand to bring about massive returns across the West African region. He wants an artist with a larger than life image and mad acceptability.
Who else fits the bill than the masked legendary Nigerian singer, Demuju? The mystical singer, billed to perform at the Uzi Independence day celebration in a forth night. Sosu tells Mabel aside the interview with Demuju; she could go a step further by unveiling the face behind the famed Nigerian. Splashing the face behind the mask on the front cover of FABS will be a major hit with fans.
Mabel has under a week for her new assignment. Sosu details a guide to help her through the city.
An appointment with the busy singer does not come easy. Fortunately, the annual Lagos music festival was underway, as Demuju is expected to perform at the Epic for the three days duration. The mere thought of a journey to Lagos leaves Mabel with a nauseating feeling of fear. She had heard several horrible stories about the city, robberies, hooliganism and kidnapping. To compound Mabel’s miseries, she was heading to the notorious Epic.
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 10:24am On Oct 22, 2014
Mabel gestured with a raised finger to catch the leader of the team’s attention. “Can I have a word with you?” Mabel pleaded.
“We are sorry miss.” The senior official apologized. “There is very little we can do in this circumstance. You don’t need to bother your head much either.” The airport official continued, “You have to make do with another cab. We will get you another.” The senior official offered.
“I’m new here, I hardly know my way.” Mabel explained.
As Sean stepped into the car lot, his phone rang. He fumbled through his pocket. Surprised, he has had 11-missed calls from his kid sister- Becky and his face turned pale. His heart began to beat faster. His mother had been in and out of hospitals for the past eleven months. The old woman had become a shadow of herself, battling with kidney stones. He feared for the worst. He punched the digit of his phone. Becky picked it on the sixth ring.
“Hello Sean.” Her tone wasn’t particularly cheering.
“Is mother okay?” He went straight to the point, holding his breath.
“Mother is fine,” Sean heaved a sigh of relief. Becky continued, “We have been worried, mother has been calling your phone all morning. Will you still make it tomorrow?”
“Of course I will,” he assured. “I should be there before sunrise. Has mother been taking her drugs?”
“You know how mother is.” Becky began “She can’t stop complaining. She says the drugs are huge, they hardly make it through her throat.”
“You must keep encouraging and make her take them. She shouldn’t skip her drugs for any reason.” He said his voice calm. “Please take care of mother, I will see you tomorrow.”
Sean flung the door of his latest Cruiser open. He sat behind the wheels and turned the ignition. The argument nearby caught his attention. He glanced at the smiling photograph of his mother and his sister Becky hanging on the inner rear mirror. His family never had a history of kidney stones, so it came as a shock when doctors diagnosed his mother of the ailment. If only mother accepted to come over to Lagos, she will be exposed to better medical facilities.
Traveling the long distance to his village had not been the easiest of task for his personal Doctor. Sean had been on this subject with his mother for the past couple of months.
It had been two weeks since his last visit. He had even procured documents to fly her abroad if need be, but the old woman will not bulge, preferring the efficacy of traditional medicine. Sean put the car in gear and moved it down the lane. He felt a strong conviction that he would be able to convince his mother to move to the city with him. He remembered the strange pallor of her skin. How she had lost a lot of weight since the ordeal started, the rough throaty coughs that sounded like she would cough out her heart and the endless nights of deep groans from her room.
Sean sighed in exasperation, his chin set in a determined line as he thought about her stubbornness to allow him fly her out of the country. Now, he is going to have to take the matter in his hands; she will be flown out of the country to an India hospital for more intensive care and treatments. That settled. He focused on his driving.
He slammed the car horn to catch the task-force official’s attention. The senior task-force official was explaining a point to Mabel. At first Sean could not see Mabel because his view was such that he saw the senior official and not her.
Then the airport official stepped away from Sean’s view, a charge pass through him as he caught sight of Mabel again. Despite the tensed situation, she still appeared calm and beautiful. From her name and accent he heard when he spoke with her earlier, he figured she was not Nigerian. Her skin devoid of any hideous bleaching cream glowed in the afternoon sun, just the way he loved it.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED by Fatalveli(m): 1:52pm On Oct 22, 2014
Nairalanders, it is here again. A thread where u
will be able to show appreciation to ur best
authors by just voting for them... Follow dis
link: https://www.nairaland.com/1958564/
literature-
section-awards-nomination-thread
Show them dat u are the best followers and
fans they can ever think of by just clicking the
thread above and cast ur vote! Thanks 4 ur time
Note: If u don't have a boo, we are also giving
boo for gifts there for both males and females
*lols*
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 6:43am On Oct 23, 2014
Then the airport official stepped away from Sean’s view, a charge pass through him as he caught sight of Mabel again. Despite the tensed situation, she still appeared calm and beautiful. From her name and accent he heard when he spoke with her earlier, he figured she was not Nigerian. Her skin devoid of any hideous bleaching cream glowed in the afternoon sun, just the way he loved it.
He waved at her as she glanced towards his direction. For a moment, she could not place his face, because of his Land Cruiser slightly tinted windscreen. As she recognized him, her face softened and brightened; then she looked away in obvious uncertainty. A faint blush crept into her face. Mabel tried to be attentive to what the airport official was explaining, but her attention was already divided.
“You ran into problems again, Mabel Danzo?" She turned to see Sean right behind her.
“Cab parked on the wrong side.” Mabel explained.
“Definitely not the best of welcomes,” Sean commented.
“You can say that again.” Her lips curled into a thin smile. “Too much troubles already, confused on what to do.” She stared at him for a moment. “Doubt if we will ever get out of this.” She glanced at her wristwatch. “I’m late for an appointment.”
“Which way are you going?” Sean asked. “If you don’t mind, I could drop you off.” He offered.
“Thank you.” Mabel muttered. “Would have loved to, but I don’t know my way here. He is more than just a cab driver, he is a guide, my first time in Lagos.”
Okafor and task-force officials are still involved in a shouting match. Sean stepped towards them. “Can you give me a minute of your time?” Sean said to the senior airport official.
For the sake of privacy, Sean and the senior official walked a few distances away. Whatever Sean was saying, stroke the right cord with the official, as he kept nodding positively. Sean pulled out his phone and punched the digits, after speaking to someone on the other end for a few moment, Sean handed his phone to the senior task-force official.
“Alright sir--Yes sir--I shall do that sir.” The official said as he ended the call. “Thank your stars.” The senior official said to Okafor as he dispatched a stern look towards him. “You mightn’t be this luck next time.” The officials hopped into their van and drove away.
“Tell the governor he just lost a vote.” Okafor shouted on top of his voice at the officials. “As a matter of fact, he stands to lose two votes.” He added. “My wife’s inclusive; we will vote him out of power.
”Aren’t you forgetting something?" Sean chuckled. “His Excellency is in his second term in office.”
“It worked.” Mabel sighed in relief. “I can’t thank you enough. I don’t know what I would have done without you. Thank you so much.”
“You are welcome Mabel Danzo.” Sean smiled, staring into her eyes, uncertain.
Did he just call my name? Mabel heard him right. “How did you know my name?” She questioned, her dark eyebrow arched in inquiry.
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 7:04am On Oct 23, 2014
“You are welcome Mabel Danzo.” Sean smiled, staring into her eyes, uncertain.
Did he just call my name? Mabel heard him right. “How did you know my name?” She questioned, her dark eyebrow arched in inquiry.
“I saw this on the floor after you hurried out of the hall.” Sean pulled her business card off his suit.
“Oh! It must have fallen off my bag when I tripped.” Mabel admitted. “Thanks.” She enthused.
“Where are you from?” Sean prodded. “Sorry for being inquisitive, I have been struggling with it all afternoon. I mean the accent and your name.” He explained when she simply stared. “They don’t sound like anything I have….”
“I’m from Uzi,” Mabel cut in “Uzi Island.” She put a stray hair back in place with her hand. “I am a journalist with FABS Magazine. I’m here for an interview with one of your biggest stars.” Mabel inserted. “You can keep the card.” Mabel handed the card back to him.
“My name is Sean—Sean Adeyemo,” he extended a hand for a shake. “I’m a trader. Well I’m into business-buying and selling, what you might call a jack of all trade.” Sean peeled out his business card from his suit breast pocket. “I will love to see you again, so we could get to know each other better.”
“Hope to see you too, but hey, Uzi is three hours from Lagos. You won’t mind flying to Uzi, do you?” a brow lifted in mock inquiry. “I should be back in a few days.” Mabel added.
“What’s the hurry?” Sean eyebrow rose slightly. “You would like it here. Many people fall in love with the city after a few hours. Lagos is a beautiful place.”
“As I said, I’m on an official assignment, here for an interview. I pray all goes well. You know how it is tracking down a super star.”
Mabel glanced towards Okafor who leaned against the taxi. “I have to run now; I don’t want to be late.” Mabel smiled and waved as she stepped towards the taxi. Opening the owner’s side door, Okafor stepped back to allow her in, after which he slammed the door behind her, rattling Mabel’s nerves.
She kicked herself for being forward and talkative with him. But he has been so wonderful, a perfect gentleman. I couldn't help but be nice to him. It definitely wasn't his fault that I was disappointed by another man once upon a time. But I just have to be careful. She thought as the vehicle came to life.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED by almacherish(f): 8:20am On Oct 23, 2014
Lovely........ #following
Re: UNVEILED by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 23, 2014
More updates please....interesting story you got here. Thumbs up
Re: UNVEILED by Vickthoriah(f): 6:51pm On Oct 23, 2014
Interesting..waitin for more
Re: UNVEILED by seunviju(f): 9:01pm On Oct 23, 2014
This is really a wonderful story,keep it up
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 3:59am On Oct 25, 2014
almacherish:
Lovely........ #following
thanks for following almacherish
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 4:00am On Oct 25, 2014
pelontus:
More updates please....interesting story you got here. Thumbs up
thanks for following pelontus...i will try updating more often
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 4:01am On Oct 25, 2014
Vickthoriah:
Interesting..waitin for more
thanks for commenting Vickthoriah
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 4:02am On Oct 25, 2014
seunviju:
This is really a wonderful story,keep it up
thanks for commenting seunviju
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 4:08am On Oct 25, 2014
Mabel glanced towards Okafor who leaned against the taxi. “I have to run now; I don’t want to be late.” Mabel smiled and waved as she stepped towards the taxi. Opening the owner’s side door, Okafor stepped back to allow her in, after which he slammed the door behind her, rattling Mabel’s nerves.
She kicked herself for being forward and talkative with him. But he has been so wonderful, a perfect gentleman. I couldn't help but be nice to him. It definitely wasn't his fault that I was disappointed by another man once upon a time. But I just have to be careful. She thought as the vehicle came to life.
Okafor pulled out of the driveway. The traffic was gradually building up, just as Okafor had feared. Mabel broke into sweat. She fumbled through her handbag and found a napkin, then dabbed her face in it. Okafor stole glances at her through the rear-view mirror. “Sorry miss, the air-conditioner is bad, has been bad for a while.” He began, “Business hasn’t been good of late. I will fix it up soon.” Okafor assured.
“Have the same challenge with mine.” Mabel stated. “It has given all manner of troubles.”
“My little toy is over ten years.” Okafor accelerated and increased the speed. “It had served me well. I played with the idea of changing it last Christmas, and got a loan for a new car. I had to reconsider that decision. She is much more reliable than Arsenal football club. Welcome to the city of Lagos the center of excellence.”
Mabel pulled out her camera, fascinated by the sight of passengers hanging at the back of a moving commercial bus. She adjusted her camera one more time and snapped. The car came to a halt as the traffic light turned red. A young newspaper vendor approached them. Mabel took a quick glance at the headlines. The image of Demuju featured on the front page of every newspaper. She snapped her wallet open, pulled out a single two hundred naira wad and handed it to the vendor.
Okafor turned on the radio, the music of high life legend Oliver Osade. “You won’t kill me Oliver.” He hummed.
The motor whizzed past several billboards with the image of Demuju, announcing the music festival. Mabel buried her head in the newspaper. The piece on the music festival caught her fancy. The festival was in it ninth year, with over a hundred artists expected to grace the stage this term. It looked promising.
“Do I drive straight to the hotel?” Okafor asked. Mabel was engrossed in her paper, she barely heard him. “Miss Danzo.” As he raised his voice higher, she raised her head and stared at him. “Where do we go first?” He repeated.
“Can you tune down the radio?” She ordered softly. “I can barely hear you.”
“Sorry Madam.” He snapped the radio off.
“How far away is the Blue Sea Hotels from here?” Mabel asked.
“Thirty-Forty minutes' drive,” He responded.
“Drive down to the Blue Sea Hotels.” Mabel instructed. “We will head straight to the Epic thereafter.”
“Oh! You’re here for the music festival.” He stated. “I thought as much.” He continued. “You must be a big fan of Demuju, travelling the distance to come watch him. Lagos practically stops with the music festival.”
“So I heard. I was told the Blue Sea Hotel isn’t far from the Epic”
“Forty five minutes to an hour, all things being equal”
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 11:26pm On Oct 25, 2014
“Can you tune down the radio?” She ordered softly. “I can barely hear you.”
“Sorry Madam.” He snapped the radio off.
“How far away is the Blue Sea Hotels from here?” Mabel asked.
“Thirty-Forty minutes' drive,” He responded.
“Drive down to the Blue Sea Hotels.” Mabel instructed. “We will head straight to the Epic thereafter.”
“Oh! You’re here for the music festival.” He stated. “I thought as much.” He continued. “You must be a big fan of Demuju, travelling the distance to come watch him. Lagos practically stops with the music festival.”
“So I heard. I was told the Blue Sea Hotel isn’t far from the Epic”
“Forty five minutes to an hour, all things being equal”
Moments later, Okafor pulled into the hotel driveway. He yanked the door open, and moved to the trunk to retrieve Mabel’s luggage. They stepped through the glass door of the hotel. The receptionist, a young girl in blue uniform, attended to another customer. Mabel tapped a finger on the desk to catch her attention.
“I need a room for the night.” She said.
“Here is our price list.” Mabel scanned through the list and settled for a fifty thousand naira room per night. The receptionist detached a receipt and handed it over to her, along with her room key. “This is the key to room 22.”
“Thank you” She smiled warmly at the receptionist. Okafor followed her up a flight of stairs towards her room. Arriving at the door, she paused and retrieved her luggage from him.
“I need a few minutes to freshen,” she said. “I will join you downstairs.”
“Alright Madam,” He replied.
Light beamed out through the window. Mabel tossed her bag on the bed to give it a test bounce. She shifted her feet and gave the room a sweeping glance. A flat screen television hung on the wall, a full-length mirror, wall clock, and a refrigerator. Mabel pulled out a sachet of aspirin from her bag. She stepped towards the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of water, swallowed the capsules and washed it down with a glassful of water.
Moments later, she freshened up and walked to the car lot. Okafor was behind the wheels, the motor running. “Sorry for keeping you waiting,” She apologized and took her seat at the right hand corner of the back sit. Okafor pulled out of the hotel driveway. Mabel had changed into a pair of blue jeans and white blouse top, with a brown leather bag that contained her camera and a tape recorder. Her suit looked too formal and seemed to be out of place for the Epic.
Okafor turned into the highway. It was 3pm, several high school pupils were returning home from school. Suddenly a look of horror appeared on Okafor’s face. Mabel followed his line of vision to see the long line of traffic. She looked enquiringly at Okafor, who gave a non-committal shrug of the shoulder as if to say it wasn’t his fault. She broke into sweat and dabbed her face with her kerchief.
“The rains are gone, It’s that time of the year when everyone leaves their windows open at night,” Okafor began. “The temperature goes up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. It could take some time before one acclimatizes.” He added.
“We share similar weather condition with Lagos. Uzi is West-Africa after all.” Mabel explained.
“Yeah, I hope to travel out someday. A trip to Uzi wouldn’t be a bad idea.”
“Ours is a tiny Island, far away from the pressure Lagos offers.” Mabel was quiet for a moment. “I learnt the Epic is dangerous and notorious.” Her chin lifted fractionally.
“Notorious, dangerous? Epic isn’t that dangerous, not during the day.” Okafor chuckled. “Festivals like this afford me the time to work till three in the morning.”
She didn’t hope to stay far into the night as she wasn’t used to taking such risks. A young hawker approached them with bottles of water on her head. Mabel signaled to get her attention, and she started toward them.
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 8:23am On Oct 26, 2014
FABS Magazine will hit newsstand in a few days. Editor, Mabel Danzo must overcome her fears and travel to Lagos for an interview with masked legendary singer Demuju. A chance meeting with the handsome, unassuming entrepreneur Sean Adeyemo, and the pair quickly became inseparable.
With time running out, Mabel enlist the help of her new friend Sean to help facilitate the interview with Demuju. Mabel is stunned; the elusive singer has always been within touching distance.

A gripping mystery novel set in Africa, not only is the plot intriguing but the characters are well developed and really will get you involved in the story. ”
R. A. Forero| 8 reviewers made a similar statement
“The Author really does a great job with this book. ”
Katie| 2 reviewers made a similar statement

What a very intriguing story. I loved it. Unveiled is different. I love the action, detective and dramatic plot, it kept my heart racing. I would give it a 5star in a wink

“This story grabs my attention from the very start of the book and couldn't put it aside till I finish it. ”
KristinT| 2 reviewers made a similar statement
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 12:26am On Oct 28, 2014
“Yeah, I hope to travel out someday. A trip to Uzi wouldn’t be a bad idea.”
“Ours is a tiny Island, far away from the pressure Lagos offers.” Mabel was quiet for a moment. “I learnt the Epic is dangerous and notorious.” Her chin lifted fractionally.
“Notorious, dangerous? Epic isn’t that dangerous, not during the day.” Okafor chuckled. “Festivals like this afford me the time to work till three in the morning.”
She didn’t hope to stay far into the night as she wasn’t used to taking such risks. A young hawker approached them with bottles of water on her head. Mabel signaled to get her attention, and she started toward them.
“Two bottles.” Mabel requested. She handed two bottles of water to Mabel. “Would you want one?” The question was rhetorical as Mabel handed a bottle to Okafor.
“Wetin dey happen up there?” Okafor asked the hawker in Pidgin English.
“One truck been brake down for middle of road.” The hawker replied in Pidgin.
“How far from here?” Okafor asked.
“Na from the roundabout, close to Ultimate Bank.”
Okafor knew what that meant, on working days. Vehicular movement was hell on this route. It took forty-five minutes to an hour to negotiate out of traffic. He buried his head in his hands.
“Is it serious?” Mabel asked.
“We are in for one long evening.” He replied. “I must have forgotten my prayers this morning, too much bad luck today.”
A teenage boy approached them. He sprang liquid soap off a small plastic container on the windscreen. The young man wiped the windscreen with a hand held wiper.
Okafor popped his hand out through the window, signaled the teenager to stop. The teenager ignored him as he put final touches to his cleaning. The boy then walked up to the driver’s side of the car, rubbing his palm against each other pleading. He gestured with cup fingers to his mouth and stomach, meaning he is hungry.
The young man patiently waited for some wad from Okafor, who ignored him. The teenager persisted, with two fingers touching the ground, pleading. Okafor pulled out a twenty-naira note and handed it to him. Suddenly, Okafor hopped out of the car to have a firsthand assessment of the cleaning.
“Hey, man of God.” Deji, a taxi driver colleague of Okafor called out from his taxi. “Man of God” Deji repeated as he waved Okafor.
“Two sure is better than years on cocoa plantation.” Okafor replied, as he walked towards Deji’s car. “I learnt a truck broke down at the roundabout.”
“We should get set to spend the night here. As a matter of fact, I’m prepared.” Deji answered.
“You are a bachelor, you are answerable to nobody. So you can afford to spend the night anywhere.” Okafor replied. “Have you seen the lottery results today?” He asked, in smattering Yoruba, excitement in his tone.
“No luck friend, those lottery chaps are smarter than I thought,” Deji began. “We fell short by a few numbers. The lucky lottery numbers are 34, 3, 50, 45, and 10.”
Okafor pulled out his lottery ticket off his baggy short pocket and scanned through the piece of paper. His face turned agonizingly pale. “How unlucky can one get with just a few numbers?” Okafor tore the ticket to shred. “Will we ever get it right?”
“I’m giving lotteries a break. Need to invest in other areas. Lotteries have left a big hole in my lean pocket.” Deji said.
“I’m not giving up just yet.” Okafor said. “Take the risk and be a millionaire.” He added. “Lottery is the only investment I know which pays. Someday mother luck shall smile on us. Lotteries are much easier than digging it out on a cocoa plantation.”
Deji took a quick glance at Okafor’s car. “I can see, you got lucky,” Deji changed the subject. “You’ve got a passenger sitting right there, I have been toiling all day with no luck.”
“She is from my chairman,” Okafor whispered. “Mr. Sosu, the big man from the Uzi Island.”
“Is the chairman here?” Deji asked.
“No, the young lady came alone.” Okafor replied.
Re: UNVEILED by Writeditor: 6:54am On Oct 28, 2014
Good writing. Just a few words rendered wrongly and some punctuations off. Partly explains why that oyinbo was quick to locate it within the "Nigerian dialect of English" even though there is nothing like that. Unfortunately, most Nigerian writers are yet to appreciate the importance of good editorial intervention to prevent worries about mistakes. But good story here still. I like the way it's developing so far.
Re: UNVEILED by leatfabiano3681(m): 7:18am On Oct 28, 2014
Writeditor:
Good writing. Just a few words rendered wrongly and some punctuations off. Partly explains why that oyinbo was quick to locate it within the "Nigerian dialect of English" even though there is nothing like that. Unfortunately, most Nigerian writers are yet to appreciate the importance of good editorial intervention to prevent worries about mistakes. But good story here still. I like the way it's developing so far.
Thanks Writeditor...i will appreciate if you could highlight here some of these errors you have noticed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Distraction ...a Story / LOVE AND MARIJUANA (The Complete Novel) / Chukwufunanya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.