Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,270 members, 7,807,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio (1280 Views)

7 Essential Features Of A Good Web Design / How To Get A Good Web Hosting In Nigeria / What You Should Know About Putting up a Website For Your Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by winexviv: 9:54am On Oct 14, 2014
I am a huge victim of this. I don't really know the cause but i don't really care building a professional web portfolio for myself. It's only recommendations that gets me jobs. When i meet someone or someone sends me an email requesting for my web portfolio i just send the person some of my web projects. Is anyone experiencing such? What could be the cause please?

Funny enough it will cost me virtually nothing to put one up in a day but have been lazy on it. The one i did some years back i abandoned it till the domain name expired.
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by onyengbu: 11:41am On Oct 14, 2014
I am also guilty of this.
Guess it has to do with not being entirely satisfied with ones website.

I have made couple of new year resolutions to takle this all to no avail. grin
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by winexviv: 12:36pm On Oct 14, 2014
onyengbu:
I am also guilty of this.
Guess it has to do with not being entirely satisfied with ones website.

I have made couple of new year resolutions to takle this all to no avail. grin
Hahhahahahah . So you are my partner in crime. I'm just too lazy to put that up. I will work on this. Let me make it a top priority.
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by lojik(m): 2:18pm On Oct 14, 2014
I am very guilty of this too.
I cant say why but i have not even updated my personal website in months or perhaps years.
I have put it on my to-do list on several occasions it just never becomes top priority.

However, i don't joke with my company or product websites. Those ones are monitored regularly.
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by 53cur3m0d3(m): 2:42pm On Oct 14, 2014
Very funny, I'm also ur accomplice o.

The thing is I actually have one, built it one crazy night like that sometimes last year but it only resides on my local host. The reason being that most of the jobs I've executed were not eventually paid for, hence I abandoned them, so populating a portfolio whose contents reside only on my workstation sounds stupid...
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by spikesC(m): 9:02pm On Oct 14, 2014
lojik:

Where did lojik resurrect from cool
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by guru01(m): 10:42pm On Oct 14, 2014
hahahhahahahha
Developers and their itch...........
To design our own site is one of the most complex thing to do. cheesy
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by 53cur3m0d3(m): 11:51pm On Oct 14, 2014
guru01:
hahahhahahahha
Spot On
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by lojik(m): 10:21pm On Oct 25, 2014
spikesC:

Where did lojik resurrect from cool
Haba! I never die yet. Wait till i die b4 u think of resurrection.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by adewasco2k(m): 6:07am On Oct 26, 2014
guru01:
hahahhahahahha

that is so true, and my personal problem is, i have a feeling my personal site should be "different" and i am just too lazy to get that done.

I once tried putting up a portfolio, yea i did but never updated it with recent works, i am even thinking of pulling the page off as i see some of those projects as being 'imperfect' another reason is some projects which i should have love to boost about might be those which are not not suppose to be made public.

i think i will try to get my personal site up and running soon, yea soon means maybe never grin
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by jboy01(m): 4:18pm On Oct 26, 2014
You are very right, I have been guilty of this too not until this year that I pull myself together to build a small website and upload it. But the problem is I hardly do a outside job, all the work I have done are the one I do for d company I work for, and they have the name of the company on them. So I don't have much to put on my portfolio. Checkout http://www.efikas.net
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by databoy247(m): 7:41pm On Oct 26, 2014
winexviv:
I am a huge victim of this. I don't really know the cause but i don't really care building a professional web portfolio for myself. It's only recommendations that gets me jobs. When i meet someone or someone sends me an email requesting for my web portfolio i just send the person some of my web projects. Is anyone experiencing such? What could be the cause please?
Funny enough it will cost me virtually nothing to put one up in a day but have been lazy on it. The one i did some years back i abandoned it till the domain name expired.
The reason why its this way is cos you are not under any pressure or deadlines hence, your lazy approach in setting up one. And like you rightly said, most jobs comes from referrals and before that is done, the would-be client must have seen one of your works so there is virtually no need to show him/her a portfolio. Referred clients rarely request for it.

Me am guilty too.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by Karles(m): 2:39pm On Oct 28, 2014
I am putting up my website soon. I have been guilty of this too. Early last year, i was asked to show my previous works. You can't believe that i only texted him six websites for him to go through only for him to invite me to his office the next day. I was like What!!?? I came to the office and discovered they were into HSE safety industry. I was awed, you mean no resume or application for anything? I got their attention. Anyway, someone gave him my number.

Now just imagine if you had a portfolio. That would be awesome. Just out there market your services with your business cards, they snubb you and call you names. Then they check your portfolio and discover that you actually know what you are doing. Just imagine the benefits... Arghhhh!!!!!! I still haven't done mine. mtchew!!
Re: Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio by eliteweb(m): 5:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
Birds of the same feather; "Na The Same Mama Born them"

Funny how one is guilty of this same portfolio thing.

Like databoy247 said, no pressure and deadline to deliver hence the lazy approach in setting up one.

(1) (Reply)

250+ Best High PR Social Bookmarking Sites List 2015 / Which Documents Are Needed For Hostgator Verification / Hey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.