Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,815 members, 7,806,287 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN (27252 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Is The Chancellor Of University Of Maiduguri / See What They Did To A Graduating Student Of UNIBEN Today(photo) / The Release Of Uniben Post-ume Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by RHP(m): 11:20am On Oct 15, 2014
Great UNIBEN..... Respect!!!!!
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 15, 2014
This is my former lecturer. He took me material science and metallurgy. MEE541, MEE441, etc. The man is good. He and his co-professor in the course, Professor Onyekpe, they'll say "hope this has sunk in your coconut" grin
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 15, 2014
chizzy94:

What has jealousy got to do with this :/ ? You heard me talk shyte about Medical students??

I know it's an almost impossible thing as it is not like that in other institutions.
I was only daydreaming smiley.

Poor chizzy sad
Continue your protest ... Dreams do come true cry
..more power to your elbow grin
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Speaking as a medical doctor...I would disagree.

In my university, it was not uncommon for Science students to be placed in the same hostel with Arts students. Of course....different styles of study= problems.

I think it is in order for the Engineers to have their own space....at least peace and quiet to focus on studies.

Better still, we could build hostels as blocks of studio flats....so that every student has his/her space.....and we could place science students in one spot, arts in another spot, etc....
Kk
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Lovexme(m): 11:59am On Oct 15, 2014
Jayuba:

UNIBEST or UNIBEN?

It wasn't a typo. Either of the names goes, as the school was sometimes referred to as the former while I was still an undergraduate.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by rynno(m): 12:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
Using dis medium 2 appreciate d outgoing VC,Prof Osayuki Oshodin...if no one else did,i saw ur gud works sir...
Congrat 2 d new VC.

1 Like

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Jayuba(m): 12:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
Lovexme:

It wasn't a typo. Either of the names goes, as the school was sometimes referred to as the former while I was still an undergraduate.
for your mind.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by dober(m): 12:33pm On Oct 15, 2014
Congratulations to the new VC .
#to all of ya Bini /non Bini folks, where he comes from doesn't matter. Credibility is accounted by good works.
Wishing Prof Oshodin continuous health of mind and body.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Emasel(m): 12:37pm On Oct 15, 2014
UNIBEN has been turned to a "Bini" School.

SMH...

I just hope this does not bring down the standards of our great school.

75% of non-academic staff of the University of Benin are Binis and now,this has been extended to academic staff recruitment and selection.

Some of my colleagues who made First Class and applied for Graduate Assistant were denied,rather a bini boy with a 2.1 was taken as Graduate assistant,that goes to show the level of discrimination and nepotism in the University of Benin. This is just one of many cases....

Talk about admission of new students via Post UTME and DE,UNIBEN was once notable for admitting students based on Merit,but since the era of the last VC(a Bini man),such standards has been compromised.

I recall when me and my friends were admitted into UNIBEN in 2007,all we did was write our Post UME and by virtue of us beating the cut-off marks for our choice courses,we all got admitted into our chosen disciplines without any LONG-LEG or CONNECTION whatsoever. I'm afraid,that trend has changed over the years with UNIBEN now being politicized and dominated by some corrupt "Binis".

The University is an academic institution,although some level of internal politics cannot be taken away from it,but I believe academic excellence should be top priority,and with the way our amiable institution" The University of Benin" is going,I fear the high academic standards once associated with this great school will drop in no distant time.

3 Likes

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
Emasel:

SMH...

75% of non-academic staff of the University of Benin are Binis and now,this has been extended to academic staff recruitment and selection.

Some of my colleagues who made First Class and applied for Graduate Assistant were denied,rather a bini boy with a 2.1 was taken as Graduate assistant,that goes to show the level of discrimination and nepotism in the University of Benin. This is just one of many cases....

Talk about admission of new students via Post UTME and DE,UNIBEN was once notable for admitting students based on Merit,but since the era of the last VC(a Bini man),such standards has been compromised.

I recall when me and my friends were admitted into UNIBEN in 2007,all we did was write our Post UME and by virtue of us beating the cut-off marks for our choice courses,we all got admitted into our chosen disciplines without any LONG-LEG or CONNECTION whatsoever. I'm afraid,that trend has changed over the years with UNIBEN now being politicized and dominated by some corrupt "Binis".

The University is an academic institution,although some level of internal politics cannot be taken away from it,but I believe academic excellence should be top priority,and with the way our amiable institution" The University of Benin" is going,I fear the high academic standards once associated with this great school will drop in no distant time.
You infer you're not Bini and you were admitted in 2007 in Uniben.
Can't you see your contradiction.
How're we sure there was no "nepotism"(as you'll say)in your admission.
Your tribalism stinks.As if the vc from the other tribe didn't employ people from his tribe in Uniben.He wasn't stopped.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by texazzpete(m): 1:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
pascyj:
Your tribalism stinks.As if the vc from the other tribe didn't employ people from his tribe in Uniben.He wasn't stopped.

He clearly stated that he passed the post-UME cut-off mark, which - with his JAMB score - merited his admission into the course of his choice. Where is the contradiction in his statement?

Your inability to comprehend written English stinks.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nosu(m): 1:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
Emasel:

SMH...

u are a dreamer. your middle name, I suppose is Joseph

Prof Oshodi, congrats and thank you for making us proud.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Godskidmidas(m): 1:42pm On Oct 15, 2014
doofanc:
the outgoing vc was Bini if I'm not mistaken, and this one is Bni as well. Doesn't seem too fair in my opinion. what abt the other ethnic groups? Esan , akoko Edo etc
the outgoing was the first Benin vc of uniben
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by abagnalie: 1:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
and so.abegi jare.him go stop cultism
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Godskidmidas(m): 1:49pm On Oct 15, 2014
Jayuba:

UNIBEST or UNIBEN?
UNIBEST IT IS
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Mrkachi(m): 1:53pm On Oct 15, 2014
Great Uniben. Congratz to their new VC.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nosu(m): 1:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
I am happy he was able to correct some things in the system. e.g
it was only in Uniben that a non-native get admission before a native even when the native has a better qualification. nobody be dey send u, who know u ( I was a victim)
It was only in uniben that for over 30 years of existence, non-natives were the VCs, this would not happen in the west, east, south or North of this country.
so if u are angry that we, the binis are happy,then i can't help ur situation. This is what is obtainable everywhere in the country, we have be very liberal before now and it hasn't helped us in anyway. if we can't win away, we should win at home. We dey hold our side, make ena no vex.

2 Likes

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Emasel(m): 2:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
pascyj:
Nosu:
I am happy he was able to correct some things in the system. e.g
it was only in Uniben that a non-native get admission before a native even when the native has a better qualification. nobody be dey send u, who know u ( I was a victim)
It was only in uniben that for over 30 years of existence, non-natives were the VCs, this would not happen in the west, east, south or North of this country.
so if u are angry that we, the binis are happy,then i can't help ur situation. This is what is obtainable everywhere in the country, we have be very liberal before now and it hasn't helped us in anyway. if we can't win away, we should win at home. We dey hold our side, make ena no vex.
pascyj:

I am not in anyway tribalistic.I have nothing against the "Binis".I was happy when a Bini man became the VC for the first time in 2009 after 39 years of establishment of the University of Benin.

Mind you,I got admitted into UNIBEN,when Prof E.A.C. Nwanze was the VC and I know what I am talking about regarding tribalism and nepotism,when it comes to admission of new students since Prof Oshodin became VC.

I am a very objective person and would disregard your insults!

But frankly speaking,the standards of the University of Benin has gone down since Prof Oshodin became VC.

UNIBEN was the second best university in the Commonwealth in 2006 and the best university in Nigeria between 2006 and 2009.

But where is UNIBEN now in ranking of Universities?

Be objective! Be more concerned about academic development and excellence and not where the VC hails from. If a Bini man can take UNIBEN to her glory days,I would be very glad!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by CaptainChandler: 2:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
Congratulations my Prof. wish you a successful tenure.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by hotice01: 2:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
hollandis:
Why Benin man?why cant they look for an Imo man?

Before the last VC, an Igbo man (Prof.Nwanze).There was no meaningful development. can an Edo man be the VC in IMSU?
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
hollandis:
Why Benin man?why cant they look for an Imo man?
will federal schools in the east appoint a bini man too?
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Sonsugar: 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
The Prof. a very big congratulations to you sir.you deserve it and may the good Lord give you the wisdom to administer the institution well.The very best is what i wish you.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
texazzpete:

Why must you people introduce tribalism into this?

it's a federal institution, let the VC be chosen on merit and not on tribal basis.
if it is on merit as you claim, why are other tribes deprived even though they are more qualified.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
nnewa:
I wish to congratulate both the out going and I coming VCs. however I am piqued by the subtle emphasis on the persons tribe.
if the country insists on and promotes Federal character in many govt businesses including the armed forces, recruitment, politics, appointments to mention a few, why this seemingly antagonistic, divisive and tribalistic tendency by the same govt when they appoint CEOs and Chief Executives of Federal Organizations and or parastatals in different states.
if it is not sacrosanct that these heads come from the vicinity or state or same tribe I think it should even be a law to appoint the heads from other states.this goes a long way to encourage integration, free flow of labour(to reduce fear of intimidation or oppressive tendency in organizations not in ones state of origin), best hands at the job etc.
I agree with you on this. for example an hausa or idoma man can head an office in Lagos while An igbo man heads office in Sokoto. An edo or Deltan heads office in the east e.t.c.with this, it will bring national integration. Nysc has done much But I think it should be extended to both public and private enterprise
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
Emasel:

SMH...

please ask Unilag why they segregrate? it wasn't so back then but some schools are bringing nepotism and tribalism to their system which made Uniben not be an exception. I wouldn't blame them to a large extend because right from the helm of affairs down to all the federal schools, it's being practice. it was during professor Oshodin 's time if I am not mistaken that admission list now comes in batches except they most have change it.uniben of those days was once you score high, your admission is secured and there would be no need to meet mr A or this (That's not to say that meeting mr a or that guarantee admission ) .although 2013 post utme was a bit strict.

1 Like

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Lovexme(m): 4:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
Jayuba:

for your mind.

I don't mean to brag, but it is what it is.

1 Like

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by pweetyz(f): 4:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
i just hope he does a good job..didn't know much about the last v.c buh i know he did an excellent job with the little i googled on him..i just pray prof orumwense does an even better job
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by pweetyz(f): 4:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
Emasel:

I am not in anyway tribalistic.I have nothing against the "Binis".I was happy when a Bini man became the VC for the first time in 2009 after 39 years of establishment of the University of Benin.

Mind you,I got admitted into UNIBEN,when Prof E.A.C. Nwanze was the VC and I know what I am talking about regarding tribalism and nepotism,when it comes to admission of new students since Prof Oshodin became VC.

But frankly speaking,the standards of the University of Benin has gone down since Prof Oshodin became VC.

UNIBEN was the second best university in the Commonwealth in 2006 and the best university in Nigeria between 2006 and 2009.

Be objective! Be more concerned about academic development and excellence and not where the VC hails from. If a Bini man can take UNIBEN to her glory days,I would be very glad!

Cheers!
you're very correct..i got drawn to uniben as at 2011 because they were the best in the country..as at 2012 it dropped to the 3rd best and i think we rank 8th at the moment..a private university [covenant university,ota]is now ahead of us..
i almost changed my mind about applying for uniben but i chickened out
i still love uniben and i'm a lot proud of it buh i think we need to improve in our academic performance..
its not about the tribe which the v.c hails from..it is simply about how good at his job he is...all we can do is hope that the new v.c does not disappoint us
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by dougivilla(m): 4:26pm On Oct 15, 2014
The Man that directly processed my admission to study in the University of Benin those days. Congrats to him!
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nosu(m): 6:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
Emasel:

Cheers!

the question u should ask yourself is what is the yardstick for the ranking of nigerian universities. i believe very strongly that nigerian universities are always ranked based on sentiment and not fact.
the man that was the VC after Nwanze is an academician and not a politican
I also got admitted during Nwanze's tenure and the difference in the two tenures is very clear. if the school isn't rank first, maybe that isn't priority to Prof Oshodi.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Samlo88(m): 8:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
Alright! Congratulation to the new vc. Abeg! Mr VC make u let dis year clearance be stress-free exercise by talking to those clearance officers to be lenient in their duties to freshers for 2014/2015 admitees. Una do well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Riot In Lasu ... SUG Protesting Against Lagos Agberos / FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU / Video: Nigerian Student Beaten Mercilessly On The Street Of Malaysia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.