Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love (29350 Views)

If Your Bea Dresses Like This To Greet Your Parent, What Will You Do? / I Detest Light Skinned Women.. / Pet Names And Phrases Guys Use On Girls And Girls Totally Detest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by DukeNija(m): 4:44pm On Oct 15, 2014
uzolexis:
Sometimes our parents reasons for not liking our partners are not valid. Most Nigerian parents want their kids to marry from their tribe which is ridiculous,my parents are not an exception n unfortunately I don't get along well with igbo guys cry . If my parents give me that as an excuse,i'm sorry 2 say this but I won't listen. I'll try to convince them otherwise n hope they change their mind.

And if your parents insist that you marry from your tribe? Will you sincerely marry a man your family detests? I don't think any man deserves such, besides, you are the one with the wrong mindset, already concluding you don't get along with guys from your tribe. What does tribe have to do with a persons character? I'm asking u.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by pawapo: 5:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
iccydope:
My parents are Jolly good fellows.. If I love You,they love you.

YINMU
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by uzolexis(f): 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
DukeNija:

And if your parents insist that you marry from your tribe? Will you sincerely marry a man your family detests? I don't think any man deserves such, besides, you are the one with the wrong mindset, already concluding you don't get along with guys from your tribe. What does tribe have to do with a persons character? I'm asking u.

I'm not just concluding,i'm talking from experience. I know ur personality has nothing to do with tribe and I have no explanation for this but whenever i try to date an igbo guy it just doesn't work.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by DukeNija(m): 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2014
uzolexis:

I'm not just concluding,i'm talking from experience. I know ur personality has nothing to do with tribe and I have no explanation for this but whenever i try to date an igbo guy it just doesn't work.

I understand where you are coming from, but it really has nothing to do with the guys tribe. Its about his and your attitude towards the relationship. It just happened that those guys were from ur tribe.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by uzolexis(f): 5:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
DukeNija:

I understand where you are coming from, but it really has nothing to do with the guys tribe. Its about his and your attitude towards the relationship. It just happened that those guys were from ur tribe.

ok,you have a point.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Pamcrest(f): 5:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
The bible says A man shall leave his father n mother n cleave to his wife......
Naija parents interfere unnecessarily sometimes even if they have a point so I think u shd consider yr parents' concern to see d merits therein. If u don't agree with their view but they insist, then go on with yr relationship n give them time to appreciate yr partner n to ally their fears n concerns. I have seen parents continue to disagree with their child's choice of partner n even refuse to attend d weddg.....n that's unfortunate. Parents' role is to give advice but still give their support esp when they see their child is comfortable with his/ her partner. Dragging d issue forever only alienates the child n causes friction in their relationship.
I was in likewise circumstance n I have vowed never to subject my own child to such. God help me!
My humble submission

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by josite: 6:08pm On Oct 15, 2014
you know your parent and you can tell if they are soundminded or not.if you know they are most likely to be wrong as usual ,go ahead but remember not to need their help so soon in case they persist in their rejection.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by micbabs(m): 9:01pm On Oct 15, 2014

What do you do when your Dad or Mum
detest of the one you love so dearly?.Will you just ignore and go on
with the wedding.
Just be patient with dem, pray for God's wisdom to handle the situation and stand firm with your love. God helping you much of your time will not be wasted.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by kelvinsmart(m): 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
urhoboman:
Does such still happen in this 21century??

what if they keep rejecting the ladies you bring home?
You go hunting the lady that suits their specs or from their endorsed tribe?

Its borne out of greed and sentiment.
An african mentality.

Their blessing is needed anyway.
it happen to me recently,when my mum bash into my room and said I'm gonna sleep here today, perhaps she told me aerler dat she doesn't like dat gal but I love her so much, all I did was to to change my meeting point untill d time is right
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by kelvinsmart(m): 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
pawapo:

YINMU
that's what I Used to say but I got it all wrong
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Archilouis(m): 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
Something you haven't considered, is: You cannot tell what someone's (parent) final decision will be.....you can only attempt to influence.

My NGN1 advice is: early on, define your value.....
1) Do I love/trust my parents direction over my judgement on selecting a life partner
2) Do I be the one to define the direction, but not be arrogant as not to consider the point of view of parents

Your expectations of what a life partner/spouse brings to the table in your life will grossly affect your selection above

BTT:
Convince them. It may take time but they will come around if they SEE your resolve.

Don't ever go ahead without their nod.

My $1m.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by johncreek: 9:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
infobiz9ja:
What an elder sees while sitting down a young man/woman can't see from atop a tree. The words of elders are words of wisdom so try as much as possible to reason with elders b4 u make the biggest mistake of your life.
Now a days that proverb does not imply in this modern World.
Parents now a days are selfish. Sorry to say; some just want you to go for their kind forgetting you will be the one to live with the spouse. My 1 cent sha.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by daveP(m): 10:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
Lucasbalo:
The bottom line is that your parents have no right to dictate to you whom you should marry. I have the utmost respect and love for my parents for all they sacrifice for my siblings and I. The only time I had a disagreement with my mother was when I was getting married. Her main objection was I was not marrying from her tribe and that I was too young (23). I sat her down and told her I am done with my education , have a good job and that I like to do things earlier in life. She didn't reason with me but pop was very understanding. Went and got married anyway,. Dad was in Chicago for the wedding and mum wasn't. Its been a blast of a marital life for me and wifey and the girls. Bottom line, it's your life and your decision to make. It doesn't mean you don't love your parents. I sure won't dictate to my children who to choose for marriage.
yeah that tribe stuff has created a gulf btw kids en parents. Sometimes they view a trend which is often right. But hmm. Parents and kids! Lor help them both eo. A sad issue
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by daveP(m): 10:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
xynerise:
Tribal differences, greed and looks are the major reasons parents frown at your choice of spouse. If you can change their mentality on these, you are good to go.
naso!
E.g ( an elder stands up to warn ifeoma)

elder: never has it been ever heard of in this family that we took an inlaw from outside, and this tradition, you wont be the 1st to break it

all: yes yes(mumblings and head nodding)

ifeoma: (sad and disgruntled, cos she loves bayo and have proved beyond doubt that he is the one.) but traditions change

uncle razor(drops gin bottle) sharrap there ifeoma(stands and points walking stick meant for fashion and not priority) sharrap i say (some fellows mumble)......
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by KingTom(m): 10:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
daveP:
naso!
E.g ( an elder stands up to warn ifeoma)

elder: never has it been ever heard of in this family that we took an inlaw from outside, and this tradition, you wont be the 1st to break it

all: yes yes(mumblings and head nodding)

ifeoma: (sad and disgruntled, cos she loves bayo and have proved beyond doubt that he is the one.) but traditions change

uncle razor(drops gin bottle) sharrap there ifeoma(stands and points walking stick meant for fashion and not priority) sharrap i say (some fellows mumble)......
Ifeoma: I love him and I must be with him
Elders:TaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
Father:Nneoma see your useless daughter
Nneoma:Nnanyi she is your daughter too.

Meanwhile in Chief Adebanjo's House
Bayo:Bami I want to marry her please
Adeyinka Adebanjo: S'onsiere ni? ***adjusts agbada***
Mrs Adebanjo:You want to marry that oshi and bring shame to us abi?
watch out for part 2
TO GOD BE THE GLORY
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
DAVEP
DIRECTOR
KINGTOM

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by daveP(m): 10:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
slye:
Parents can be wrong at times.. you just av to convince and make them realise
Ive seen/heard about how time wasted destiny. The man's dad had to die(14yrs since he informed them about her) before he could marry his Deltan love. The marriage is 10yrs.(but he's almost 55nw)

rutibaby:
I'll pray 2 God to know if they are right or that's d right person for me.
A case of your own vision/revelation vs their own! The time they say moda or father is a witch/wizard (irresistable when in this shoes), etc. It gets hotter and more puzzling.

farano:
I'll fast and pray. I'll tell God.... This is what I want, but if you know it'll hurt me in the long run, let Your Will be done.
The 'fleece test' have worked for many (asking for a sign of action, statements,etc) , but some parents still ignore, leaving one more confused. hmm. D path of patience is long o! cool

Stephanie: Lord if he is the one,let him say 'i'll cook (your best dish-rice,etc) and buy me fried turkey in a BUCKET

Dare: if she's the one, let her wave and say 'halloween costumes look good on you only on saturdays!

However silly it sounds, its working cos the sign is what's major. (runs out of thread to another movie location)

ayomidegambari:
I ll put knife on my neck and say 'mum, dad..which do u prefer? My demise or d girl I want 2 marry?
Ah, dont let them blame you for mishap o. That would be detrimental/extreme!

Ann2deals:
if my mum and dad detest my dream man with passion i ll pay deaf ears to them with pleasure.
its not advisable to take this action except in "worst case scenarios" (uncle, pastor, elder, aunty, etc have spoken and they refused)

As much as their blessings(dont undermine it) is very important, make sure you yourself shape who you are in a way that rejecting your decision would be difficult for them. #oldest institution in our world# few graduate!
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by daveP(m): 11:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
KingTom:

Ifeoma: I love him and I must be with him
Elders:TaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
Father:Nneoma see your useless daughter
Nneoma:Nnanyi she is your daughter too.

Meanwhile in Chief Adebanjo's House
Bayo:Bami I want to marry her please
Adeyinka Adebanjo: S'onsiere ni? ***adjusts agbada***
Mrs Adebanjo:You want to marry that oshi and bring shame to us abi?

Mr Ade: iya bisi!! Yeh yeeeh (holds chest tightly and slides down from chair, Mrs Ade rushes and holds him, probably a stroke! She turns to Bayo who looks lost and unperturbed)

Mrs Ade: Bayo Bayo!! Daddy nku lowolowo, eyin le pa baba yin o. Yeh (slaps thigh and rushes in to look for car keys)

watch out for part 2
TO GOD BE THE GLORY

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

DAVEP

DIRECTOR

KINGTOM
grin grin grin grin grin grin

that agbada part grin grin Modified

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by KingTom(m): 11:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
daveP:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

that agbada part grin grin Modified
AMAA award nominee cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by daveP(m): 11:06pm On Oct 15, 2014
KingTom:

AMAA award nominee cheesy
lwkm
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by KingTom(m): 11:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
daveP:
lwkm
grin
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by daveP(m): 11:17pm On Oct 15, 2014
KingTom:

grin
tell friday that he isnt holding that feathered mic close to the scene. Partnership on nxt location. Omotola would be on set with Odunlade grin
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by KingTom(m): 11:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
daveP:
tell friday that he isnt holding that feathered mic close to the scene. Partnership on nxt location. Omotola would be on set with Odunlade grin
Errr wey you friday oya forward with thr mic. Omotola and Odunlade ready action! grin

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by khiaa(f): 2:05am On Oct 16, 2014
pashaun:

Accurate.

FALSE!!! sad
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by ldonjibson(m): 8:26am On Oct 16, 2014
infobiz9ja:
What an elder sees while sitting down a young man/woman can't see from atop a tree. The words of elders are words of wisdom so try as much as possible to reason with elders b4 u make the biggest mistake of your life.
na so . but wat if girl dat comes ur way are of d tribes dey dont want? u will wait for dem to pick 4 u?
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by uyigue1(m): 9:25am On Oct 16, 2014
uyigue1:
Pls help urgently house, my brother has been dating a girl for the past 5 or 6 years now, he even travelled and still come back home to settle down,now he wants to marry the lady....my parents were giving him an excuse that the lady is mother is not good say she will control my brother because she was haveing only 4 girls no boy and the man did not marry 2 wifes onlike my father who marry 3, he is now treating my brother to leave the lady and this lady has done abortion for my brother almost 5 or 7 times while in school and my brother loves her what do i advice plss?urgent reply needed cos my brother has treat he must marry the lady while my father still stand on the point no marriage...... This lady is a bini girl
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by omoiseselagba: 10:02am On Oct 16, 2014
what dey say dont count.what counts is wat i want and wat my woman wants.they av had theirs.lemme live ma life d way i want.it me for me.emi gan gan lemi.no one can replace me or dictate how i live ma lyf!
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by uyigue1(m): 10:28am On Oct 16, 2014
Pls should i support my brother ?
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by philclem(m): 4:45pm On Oct 16, 2014
God bless u for that comment........I envy die! smiley
iccydope:
My parents are Jolly good fellows.. If I love You,they love you.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Endowed595(m): 5:54pm On Oct 16, 2014
What of if u were in this sort of situation and ur boo decides to go with what his/her parents say "hw wld u feel" things have changed oooh, I believe most of u have never been crazy in Love :-)).. heheehe so parents have this bad vibe decting machine in dem or what? need i remind u, out parents were not perfect, sometimes we gotta make mistakes to learn!.. in the states a lady can marry and days later call to her mum, tell her shez married, send her photos of de guy! SIMPLE.....
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by pashaun(f): 7:12pm On Oct 16, 2014
khiaa:

FALSE!!! sad

Lust is a big thing in the US, and over 74% of AA women are single mothers lipsrsealed
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by khiaa(f): 10:39pm On Oct 16, 2014
pashaun:

Lust is a big thing in the US, and over 74% of AA women are single mothers lipsrsealed

Do you know this for sure or is it something you read? First they said over 70% of AA women have children out of wedlock, then 75, 80, I guess they will not stop lying on us untill they reach the 100% mark. I don't have any children and neither do alot of women I know. Would it be fair for me to say that over 70% of Nigerian women would be single mothers if it wasn't for abortions. shocked shocked shocked Just read some of the threads on this forum about Nigerian men who have gotten multiple women pregnant but refuse to marry them, should I assume 70% of Nigerian men are like that. Stop believing everything you read, It would be foolish of me to believe that over 70% of Nigerians are into the 419 scams wouldn't it. Also we Americans are human, we know how to love just like everyone one else, maybe better romanticly wise, just because a person doesn't stay in an abusive marriage/relationship (only a fool would) doesn't mean he/she doesn't know how to love. Stop saying and believing foolish things.

So now you are telling me Nigerians don't lust? Half of the threads on this website is nothing but pure lust. Get your head out of the clouds and face reality. Clean up your own backyard before you judge someone elses.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bridesmaid Falls While Challenging A Man To Zanku Dance At A Wedding (Video) / 1000 Intimate And Funny Questions To Ask Your Partner / My Experience At (ashawo Joint)igbague, Benin City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.