Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,555 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review (4117 Views)

Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria. / Apply If You Meet The Criteria. / The Most Unreasonable Job Advert Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:03pm On Oct 14, 2014
The new trend of employers in Nigeria setting stringent and sometimes impractical employment criteria, has increased in recent years. Just yesterday Oando advertised for its graduate trainee program and the criteria to be met included ;being younger than 25 years,a bachelors degree, having a minimum of 5As in WAEC e.t.c . If one factors in the number of years wasted in writing Jamb(evidence of a failing education system), years wasted by industrial actions of University lecturers and years to complete an average engineering degree(5 years), then one will begin to comprehend the dire situation.

Unfortunately, NBC just gave a new definition to stringent employment criteria by adding a new clause of a Masters degree for a graduate program to the usual unreasonable clauses. Most graduate positions around the world ,only require a bachelors degree and Msc as an added advantage. Yet in Nigeria,employers are working so hard to beat each other in the race of moronic,idiotic and inhuman employment criteria.

This begs the question, why is this happening in Nigeria? The simplest most obvious reason is the high rate of unemployment. If there were ample job opportunities in the country, the HR managers will find it difficult to fill these positions and thus will reduce the criteria in a bid to attract more applications. It is a simple demand and supply curve.

Another unique perspective to look at it, is the deteriorated (and continued deterioration) education system in our country. I have come across Mechanical engineering degree graduates that cannot state the Ohm's law, Coloumb's law and some other basic engineering laws.

Alternatively the reason for requiring younger graduates maybe to allow ample time for re-training, and also give the company a few years to utilize the efficient years of an employee( usually between 27-45 years of age approximately).

Nevertheless, no matter what the cause might be, it goes to buttress the fact that Nigeria is a failed state and only God can save us now.

Please add other probable reasons for this current trend and discuss critically

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Lero15(m): 10:11pm On Oct 14, 2014
I think there should be a body that checks this employment eligibility. The most painful thing there is that these aforementioned companies are Nigerian-owned. Oando, NB, even NSE. Too bad. My fear is that other firms might follow suit. The multinational companies like Shell, PWC, etc do not do these. The only reason I see here is that they want to automatically disqualify (the best) candidates. There are still slots to be filled by top politicians' children. Why are Nigerians killing Nigerians?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 14, 2014
Lero15:
I think there should be a body that checks this employment eligibility. The most painful thing there is that these aforementioned companies are Nigeria-owned. Oando, NBC, even NSE. Too bad. My fear is that other firms might follow suit. The multinational companies like Shell, PWC, etc do not do these. Why are Nigerians killing Nigerians.

lol..you dey para oh
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
it indeed a failed state from all indications.

1 Like

Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Lero15(m): 10:22pm On Oct 14, 2014
coolbibz:

lol..you dey para oh
my bro, I no para oo cheesy
Truth is bitter. I was fortunate to graduate frm a skl where we never went on ASUU strike, not even for one day.
So, it's about the Nigerian graduate in general.
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 10:31pm On Oct 14, 2014
@Op nice post however ohms law and columbs law are not basic Mechanical engineering laws but physics tongue

What is ohms law again sef *scratches head* Karleb do you still remember

1 Like

Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by snadguy007(m): 10:32pm On Oct 14, 2014
and upon all this stu.pid criteria, there is no job security.
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by bbdrown: 10:38pm On Oct 14, 2014
If una view and una nor comment, e mean say una dey contented with Naija employment style.
Afterall, silence means consent. angry
@ lero15 u yan well

My own list
Access bank (24 yrs & less)

Oando (even Msc holders shd be 25 or less, engineering is a 5 year course o, non engineering candidates too that used 4 yrs in uni fall under same category with eng graduates...Almighty ASUU strike consumes one year)

Nigerian Stock Exchange

It is well with Nigeria ooo
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 10:38pm On Oct 14, 2014
cbrass:
@Op nice post however ohms law and columbs law are not basic Mechanical engineering laws but physics tongue

What is ohms law again sef *scratches head* Karleb do you still remember

Yes!

Ohms law state that the current passing through a metallic conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference provided an external force like temperature or pressure is constant.
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Lero15(m): 10:41pm On Oct 14, 2014
Thanks, bbdrown

1 Like

Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 10:48pm On Oct 14, 2014
Karleb:

Yes!

Ohms law state that the current passing through a metallic conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference provided an external force like temperature or pressure is constant.

Hey clap for your self oo grin but I no come get Moi-Moi and Pap to give you nw as gift ogrin
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 10:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
cbrass:

Hey clap for your self oo grin but I no come get Moi-Moi and Pap to give you nw as gift ogrin

embarassed

Ok.

I don't really need that one, just make me an admin on naijatalk so that I can start banning people like Mukina, Mynd and Ferano.
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 14, 2014
Lero15:
my bro, I no para oo cheesy
Truth is bitter. I was fortunate to graduate frm a skl where we never went on ASUU strike, not even for one day.
So, it's about the Nigerian graduate in general.

Lol, ofcourse I do understand you. I wasn't as lucky as you were anyway. I'm 23 & observing the NYSC at the moment, would be 24 on its completion. Attimes, I feel like my fate depends on what I make of next year or perhaps next two years, since most graduate positions now come with the "not more than 24years" age requirement. It makes me wanna overwork myself at times, but hey! God still works. Moreover, I'm not so keen on getting a job at the moment. I would love to go for my masters, and probably target a wider market. I used the strikes, SWEP, and both SIWES to garner some experience. I serve at a propitious PPA at the moment. All of those would do for now.
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Lero15(m): 11:07pm On Oct 14, 2014
coolbibz:

Lol, ofcourse I do understand you. I wasn't as lucky as you were anyway. I'm 23 & observing the NYSC at the moment, would be 24 on its completion. Attimes, I feel like my fate depends on what I make of next year or perhaps next two years, since most graduate positions now come with the "not more than 24years" age requirement. It makes me wanna overwork myself at times, but hey! God still works. Moreover, I'm not so keen on getting a job at the moment. I would love to go for my masters, and probably target a wider market. I used the strikes, SWEP, and both SIWES to garner some experience. I serve at a propitious PPA at the moment. All of those would do for now.
all the best, bro.
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2014
To all younglings out there, I take God beg una, face your studies oh! Ace your WASSCE so the results don't come haunting you in future lol. In the next few years, they probably would start using jamb scores as criterion as well. You heard it from me first.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by ednut1(m): 11:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
overpopulation and under development. our economy is mostly import driven where we create hobs for pple of other nations. in the days of our fathers. they had companies scrambling for them. but now na eyesore. sometimes i wud not blame the companies. imagine if u had a company and u want 10 candidates. but 50000 sent cv. abeg how do shortlist. hence all this crazy criteria. on Thursday anoda batch over corpers are coming to join the market. what more can i say. it is well
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 11:16pm On Oct 14, 2014
Karleb:

embarassed

Ok.

I don't really need that one, just make me an admin on naijatalk so that I can start banning people like Mukina, Mynd and Ferano.

Naijatalk keh Which site is that? Or do you mean nairaland? Se oti tun seh awon Mods yen ni? Anyway as for farano why not ask her out and all this will end, she could be crushing on yougrin
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 11:24pm On Oct 14, 2014
cbrass:

Naijatalk keh Which site is that? Or do you mean nairaland? Se oti tun seh awon Mods yen ni? Anyway as for farano why not ask her out and all this will end, she could be crushing on yougrin

The same www.naijatalk.com, me have always been gentle since the Ferano incident.

Ferano crushing on me? ok! I'll go follow her first then I'll start launching my attacks, if she gree, ok. If she no gree, who cares?

But, hope she's not preparing a robust ban for me sha?
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 11:28pm On Oct 14, 2014
Karleb:

The same www.naijatalk.com, me have always been gentle since the Ferano incident.

Ferano crushing on me? ok! I'll go follow her first then I'll start launching my attacks, if she gree, ok. If she no gree, who cares?

But, hope she's not preparing a robust ban for me sha?

Ahahaha...don't worry farano won't ban you again, as for the site have never heard of it sef, let me check it nw

The site doesn't exist bro
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 11:39pm On Oct 14, 2014
cbrass:

Ahahaha...don't worry farano won't ban you again, as for the site have never heard of it sef, let me check it nw

The site doesn't exist bro

I meant nairatalk.com, or is it not your site?
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 11:44pm On Oct 14, 2014
Karleb:

I meant nairatalk.com, or is it not your site?

Oh its is www.naitalk.com

Yea its mine...so you wanna be an admin?
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 11:47pm On Oct 14, 2014
cbrass:

Oh its is www.naitalk.com

Yea its mine...so you wanna be an admin?

Yes! angry and I want to also start banning!
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 11:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
Karleb:

Yes! angry and I want to also start banning!

Lmao...ahah who do you want to ban there oo, most people can't comment cos I yanked the comment box off due to some reasons but I may bring back that of the facebook comment box later sha. Just register and start using it , I ownly allow ppl to create threads and. Not to comment so chanses that ppl will get crazy is minimal
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 11:57pm On Oct 14, 2014
@Cbrass Can I ask you some rather serious questions.

1. Do you think it's possible for a b.sc guy with Chemistry/Industrial Chemistry to be admitted for M.sc in Chemical Engineering.

2. So all these University of technology actually run a five yrs programme irrespective of the course your doing.

3. You didn't read computer science, did you?
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 12:04am On Oct 15, 2014
Karleb:

1. Do you think it's possible for a b.sc guy with Chemistry/Industrial Chemistry to be admitted for M.sc in Chemical Engineering.

2. So all these University of technology actually run a five yrs programme irrespective of the course your doing.

1. No its not possible will have to do PGD first

2. Yes.

3.No I didn't
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 12:11am On Oct 15, 2014
cbrass:

1. No its not possible will have to do PGD first

2. Yes.

3.No I didn't

Post Graduate first? How long does that normally takes?

BTW, wetin you read?
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 12:18am On Oct 15, 2014
Karleb:

Post Graduate first? How long does that normally takes?

BTW, wetin you read?

Its a year maximum provided all other things remain constant.

I read pure and applied physics from LAUTECH
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 12:46am On Oct 15, 2014
cbrass:

Its a year maximum provided all other things remain constant.

I read pure and applied physics from LAUTECH

Errm warabout the school fees, I mean the PDG.

una read Physics and una no fit state ohmns law, una foul nyash don open today.

*clears thraot*

So Mr. Cbrass, could you tell us how you met and fell in love with computer programming?
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by cbrass(m): 1:18am On Oct 15, 2014
Karleb:

Errm warabout the school fees, I mean the PDG.

una read Physics and una no fit state ohmns law, una foul nyash don open today.

*clears thraot*

So Mr. Cbrass, could you tell us how you met and fell in love with computer programming?

*i don't much about the scl fees but I think I heard somewhere that its around 150k to 250k sha, depending on the scl.

*i wasn't there when Mr Ohms stated the law so how I supposed to know, infact why should I even know it since my lecturer didn't do the practical for me, anyway Taofik the rewire at the back of our house showed me grin

*well I fell inlove with computer programming as far as 2001, she was so prety and sexy, it was love at first sight. I however studied physics just to mark register that I went to a university too cos it was just too boring and abstract, didn't even know if it was lies we were taught all those years.
Programming is what makes me so happy nw and puts food on my table by the Grace of God
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 15, 2014
Karleb:

You can be admitted overseas. .. don't know about here. .

Lero15, did you say firms like PWC don't do that?? Have you forgotten their Waec one sitting criterion with some number of credits? Max age of 26, etc.... Also, some firms don't actually specify any age limit in their advert to avoid controversies but they actually know what they wnt, that's one of the reasons why people don't get invites after meeting the criteria stipulated in an advert.
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Lero15(m): 9:20am On Oct 15, 2014
MarvellousGod:
You can be admitted overseas. .. don't know about here. .

Lero15, did you say firms like PWC don't do that?? Have you forgotten their Waec one sitting criterion with some number of credits? Max age of 26, etc.... Also, some firms don't actually specify any age limit in their advert to avoid controversies but they actually know what they wnt, that's one of the reasons why people don't get invites after meeting the criteria stipulated in an advert.
I mean pwc, kpmg, EY.., they say at most 26 and one sitting..,
But the ones mentioned by the OP are worse.
Re: The Unreasonable Employment Criteria In Nigeria; A Critical Review by Karleb(m): 9:50am On Oct 15, 2014
cbrass:

*i don't much about the scl fees but I think I heard somewhere that its around 150k to 250k sha, depending on the scl.

*i wasn't there when Mr Ohms stated the law so how I supposed to know, infact why should I even know it since my lecturer didn't do the practical for me, anyway Taofik the rewire at the back of our house showed me grin

*well I fell inlove with computer programming as far as 2001, she was so prety and sexy, it was love at first sight. I however studied physics just to mark register that I went to a university too cos it was just too boring and abstract, didn't even know if it was lies we were taught all those years.
Programming is what makes me so happy nw and puts food on my table by the Grace of God

grin grin grin

So you mean Physics has never bought Gala and Lacasera? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Job Description At Grooming Microfinance Bank / Please My Husband Needs An Urgent Job. / Vigeo Holdings Limited Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.