Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,546 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? (1765 Views)

Get Certification In Strategic Marketing Management Practice / 6 Strategic Job Search Tips For Every Fresh Graduate / Certificate Of International Strategic Management.........is It Relevant??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by meiloya: 5:40am On Oct 15, 2014
Diverse and possibly out of the box views and suggestions are needed in the following career scenarios

Imagine you went abroad for your master's and got back to Nigeria in 2012

Imagine you secured a job that paid a salary of 235k and you continued working

Imagine you have been on this job for nearly 2 years without any salary raise, but you are good on the job, which is intellectual by nature, and you as an individual have above average intelligence and plenty confidence in yourself

Imagine your combined experience in this type of job in the industry is up to 3 years

THEN

Imagine you then secured a European doctoral position which covers 100% living expenses and 33% tuition fees. However, the part of the funds for living expenses can be used to cover the rest tuition fees, with ZERO savings left

Imagine the doctoral position would last for a maximum of 4 years and minimum of 2.5 years, ideally 3 years

Imagine at the time of getting this doctoral position, you were already above 30 years, unmarried, without a fiancee

Imagine the doctoral position was secured 2 years after you first got back to Nigeria in 2012

Imagine the option of taking a study leave is unavailable

Imagine the doctoral position is in an area 59% related to your work experience

The big question, WHAT WOULD YOU DO? Would you stick to the job or gun for the doctoral

This question was asked recently..Suggestions and views, let them come rolling..Other imagines will follow
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by ademutiu: 7:38am On Oct 15, 2014
Too much of imagination......would have love you hit it straight
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by meiloya: 7:46am On Oct 15, 2014
ademutiu:
Too much of imagination......would have love you hit it straight

Thanks. Kindly go ahead with your ideas. This is real.
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by Yababoy(m): 8:29am On Oct 15, 2014
Nice one and simple, I'll go for the Doctoral position. It's a better investment of my time and for my future. Going by what you've just painted, I don't see much prospects in the current job except some marginal increase in salary sometimes later. By the way, 3 years experience is not yet much and really wouldn't give you that much leverage yet even in the industry you are currently working in.
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by WoodcrestMayor(m): 8:42am On Oct 15, 2014
No savings,better job prospects,no serious partner and approaching 30...

Well,there are some many feminists nowadays who don't believe a woman shld "limit" herself because of marriage.If she's one of them,she can go for the PhD.

If she values marriage and she's as good as she claims,I advise she looks for jobs in orgs similar to her current one.She has experience and she's good;she'll def be hired with beta remuneration.
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by meiloya: 8:44am On Oct 15, 2014
WoodcrestMayor:
No savings,better job prospects,no serious partner and approaching 30...

Well,there are some many feminists nowadays who don't believe a woman shld "limit" herself because of marriage.If she's one of them,she can go for the PhD.

If she values marriage and she's as good as she claims,I advise she looks for jobs in orgs similar to her current one.She has experience and she's good;she'll def be hired with beta remuneration.

The person, a He. Sorry for the misleading imagine. No savings means savings cannot be done from the scholarship
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by meiloya: 8:46am On Oct 15, 2014
Yababoy:
Nice one and simple, I'll go for the Doctoral position. It's a better investment of my time and for my future. Going by what you've just painted, I don't see much prospects in the current job except some marginal increase in salary sometimes later. By the way, 3 years experience is not yet much and really wouldn't give you that much leverage yet even in the industry you are currently working in.

Okay, but I was thinking: Isn't the lack of experience a reason to stick with the job to get the experience required?
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by Yababoy(m): 8:57am On Oct 15, 2014
The first point is that you have some few years experience, so no one would actually say you're an entire greenhorn, so that's an advantage for you. Secondly, I have seen this happen to several people, it's always better you add so much value to yourself. In the short time it might look like its not adding to the bottom-line but I tell you it would stand you out some day. You might not get the increase and promotion you so desire in that job in 3 years, meanwhile you could have used the same 3 years to add so much value to yourself that one year after you can get a job paying twice what you are earning now and not willing to let go of. Also, even if you don't earn twice that money after your Phd, the value is there. Someday, somehow, it would count for you.
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by Yababoy(m): 8:59am On Oct 15, 2014
Also remember that when you work for too long the zeal to improve yourself drops and you'll just continue marking time in the rat race.
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by meiloya: 9:14am On Oct 15, 2014
Yababoy:
The first point is that you have some few years experience, so no one would actually say you're an entire greenhorn, so that's an advantage for you. Secondly, I have seen this happen to several people, it's always better you add so much value to yourself. [b]In the short time it might look like its not adding to the bottom-line but I tell you it would stand you out some day. You might not get the increase and promotion you so desire in that job in 3 years, meanwhile you could have used the same 3 years to add so much value to yourself that one year after you can get a job paying twice what you are earning now and not willing to let go of. [/b]Also, even if you don't earn twice that money after your Phd, the value is there. Someday, somehow, it would count for you.

Very strong arguments, must confess. Could have struggled to provide such argument if asked.

More imagines...

Imagine you fired your employer and decided to accept the doctoral position and have already done all paper work needed, with 2 months left for you to start the program

Imagine that suddenly, you started getting fresh offers from companies willing to pay you twice or thrice the 235k you were getting per month; not one company, not two, all of them asking you to come to them

Imagine that these offers are from companies you once fantasied to work for, but the chance never came..

Imagine that you were told they wanted you so badly, or that you should introduce to them somebody like you

What would you do? Cancel the doctoral offer you had already accept or introduce other competent people to these employers and maintain your relationship with the employers?

Getting interesting, yeah

1 Like

Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by meiloya: 3:28am On Oct 22, 2014
Why no more views and comments? Or is this too good to be true? This is happening right now to one favoured individual. It's really real!
Re: A Strategic Career Move - Which Would You Take? by Ademat7(m): 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2014
I will go for d job first and if I secure d job no problem. Will go for Doctorate degree later ; bird in hand is better than two in d forest

(1) (Reply)

This Is Olalekan, The Guy Who Said He Will Not Leave The Bush Until They Declare / Reasons Why We Should All Sell Bread! / Do You Know The Differences Between RTGS And NEFT?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.