Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students (45627 Views)

Clay Math Institute Denies Century Old Math Problem Solved By Nigerian / The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon / Funny Courses Offered By Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by yemi2plus(m): 1:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
I'm guilty of this act, perhaps, it's because I stammer, I sometimes say it while trying to take in some air to enable me talk without stammering.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Tallesty1(m): 1:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
He said are "you there"?

I was like "yea, why are you asking"?

he was like, "can't I ask you questions again".

I was like "ok..., but I won't answer you again".

he was like "really? now leave my house".

i was like "Jesus, are you throwing me out of your house"?

Our generation's way of narrating a story

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Lilimax(f): 2:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
Tallesty1:
He said are "you there"?

I was like "yea, why are you asking"?

he was like, "can't I ask you questions again".

I was like "ok..., but I won't answer you again".

he was like "really? now leave my house".

i was like "Jesus, are you throwing me out of your house"?

Our generation's way of narrating a story
As in erh...you got the gist.
But like seriously, do they make sense smiley?

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by mesoade(m): 2:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
Another common one is the use of "LIKE SERIOUSLY" especially by the girls

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 15, 2014
Karleb:

What's there to explain?

"I was like, Ok" Is a grammatically correct sentence or statement or phrase or clause, but not a formal speech as in; you can't address a large crowd or the president or your VC with it because it's informal but grammatically correct! gerrit?

Exactly.
Sum phrases,sentences and statements are grammatical, but it is inappropriate to use them in formal conversation...
If u check for meaning of some words in the dictionary u will discover that not all can be used formally

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
16 Years of PDP government and its evils grin

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by justi4jesu(f): 3:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
priscaoge:
Like Seriously I was like let me read all the comments without commenting but here I am angry angry

And i was like so be it!!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
I wanted want to comment b4 but then I was like ok there's really nothing to say
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by SeverusSnape(m): 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
That's "Nigerian English"... Nigerian students must not speak the "queen's English".Great Nigerian Student's!........ GREAT! cool

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by MadCow1: 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
After reading the OP's post, I was like Ok, This guy is sooo 'Non- African American' like me and whoever he was like Beefing on that post.. angry

You bush people can never understand us porshe people.. Then I was like okay, thats not cool..

4 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
E NO GO BETTER FOR GOD WICKED THING THAT MADE ME LOOSE ALL I HAD
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Akalia(m): 3:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I have been wondering why Nigerian students always use the word 'i was like ok' in every of their saying... I found it difficult to believe that 'i was like ok' is a correct short sentence, in English...

because I have sat down and think about this all over and over and over,and through research I found that there is no short sentence in English, like 'i was like ok'.. but some Nigerians are so terrible when it comes to the aspects of speaking or writing standard English...

A student of unilorin came to meet my big bro at home,and he said I have been trying your number since I left Lagos and I WAS LIKE OK LET ME CALL YOUR YOUNGER BROTHER TO CONFIRM..

immediately,I felt the 'spirit of bad English' in what he said above... since then I have been searching,I have been asking those who are highly educated and those who study English in universities.. if the use of I WAS LIKE OK is good to speak..

to nairelanders do any of you have anything to say about this topic... share your own points of view and let some 'BAD English speaker(s)' learn from you.. thanks

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
OP see as u dey sweat to perfect another man's language. How many of this foreigners consider your own language worth learning. Been in good command of english is not a true measure of once intelligence,so english mistakes and errors does not make one dumb but some annoying Nigerians make it appear so.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
Its becoming more and very common amongst nigerian student, i will advice dem to stop dis poor and wrong use to english language
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 3:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
That's Hollywood and other Americans talking through them

I was like
He was like
+ the sempiternel you know

I was like you know

....no dude I don't know maybe if you were more precise I would ,

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by lonelydora: 3:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
I was here.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by omanifrank(m): 3:17pm On Oct 15, 2014
kk
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 15, 2014
ERCROSS:
Who cares if it's correct or not.. undecided
So far the communication is established..
Moreso..
Must we always follow the Westerners like say we be Mumu... lipsrsealed
We need to start colonizing our own words too jare... angry
And I was like okay...we need a Nigerian-made dictionary too

So you didn't know using "like" in this way is American slang.

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by clemz88(m): 3:19pm On Oct 15, 2014
Na wa o . Does it mean dat some people are glued to their fones? Just for me to read alades thread n find out dat anoda is created n it has reachd second page. Una dey vex o
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
Akalia:
OP see as u dey sweat to perfect another man's language. How many of this foreigners consider your own language worth learning. Been in good command of english is not a true measure of once intelligence,so english mistakes and errors does not make one dumb but some annoying Nigerians make it appear so.

Yes, it does. This "English is not my father's language" is a shoddy excuse for poor grammar. Which language are you using right now? Whatever language you are using, you must use it correctly.

Did you know that English is not America's official language? But it is Nigeria's official language. Who should speak it better? Smh.

7 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by tuffgongjo(m): 3:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
did you go to school at all? (no offense)
Do you have to be Silly?(No offense).
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Imyourex(m): 3:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
When I saw this thread I was like ok......
OP you have to accept it that way, thats how ''as in'' came to be and its now generally used

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Superstar007(m): 3:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
Pot calling a kettle black when your own grammar isn't any different.

Maybe na the "spirit of bad english" dey still follow you angry

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by pickabeau1: 3:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
thats ebonics.. dude

i was like why did u not do yo research proply undecided undecided

and u be like trying to prove u know english

Keenysbojan:

6 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
its correct...

Have you ever heard of a break?

I was like... ok... Let me continue the journey...

Meaning "I was like..." took a deep thought... then voiced "ok... Let me continue the journey"

Check the adverb part.... Google define: like

all of una just dey follow crowd

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by soulglo: 3:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
Thanks to pop culture. The word "like" just keeps popping up every where. I think it creeped into main stream in the early 2000s

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by tuffgongjo(m): 3:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
Me think it is American english which is more of Informal set up.

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 3:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
pickabeau1:
thats ebonics.. dude

i was like why did u not do yo research proply undecided undecided

and u be like trying to prove u know english

Keenysbojan:

Lmfao

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I have been wondering why Nigerian students always use the word 'i was like ok' in every of their saying... I found it difficult to believe that 'i was like ok' is a correct short sentence, in English...

because I have sat down and think about this all over and over and over,and through research I found that there is no short sentence in English, like 'i was like ok'.. but some Nigerians are so terrible when it comes to the aspects of speaking or writing standard English...

A student of unilorin came to meet my big bro at home,and he said I have been trying your number since I left Lagos and I WAS LIKE OK LET ME CALL YOUR YOUNGER BROTHER TO CONFIRM..

immediately,I felt the 'spirit of bad English' in what he said above... since then I have been searching,I have been asking those who are highly educated and those who study English in universities.. if the use of I WAS LIKE OK is good to speak..

to nairelanders do any of you have anything to say about this topic... share your own points of view and let some 'BAD English speaker(s)' learn from you.. thanks

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
Your own english is quite bad. I see nothing wrong in that sentence. Punctuate it properly and it becomes nice to speak and read. It is informal though.

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2014
OP this is obviously slang. I doubt those students write "and I was like" on their exams.

P.S. That awkward moment when Nairalanders think "I was like" is Nigerian slang

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by purplekayc(m): 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
its a foreign expression

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by eunisam: 3:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
As a Nigerian,the most important thing is did you understood what he meant?
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Gorgeous58(f): 3:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
It's a shame that undergraduates and graduates alike speak this way especially the females. Make God help us

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Students In Viral Shisha Video Suspended: Lagos Orders Their Rehabilitation / Great Day For Me I Graduated With First Class (photo) / Secondary School Closed Over Students Marriages Among Themselves In Bauchi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.