Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students (45626 Views)

Clay Math Institute Denies Century Old Math Problem Solved By Nigerian / The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon / Funny Courses Offered By Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
Raiders:
but English is technically the official language of US. All the official documents of the US government are written in English. Schools and courts uses English to communicate. It would be difficult getting a job in US if you don't speak English

That is called de facto. But on paper, there is no official language. Meanwhile, Nigeria has one single official language. English.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Missmossy(f): 6:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
Funny thread!

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Sheenor: 6:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

None. America has no official language.

Sorry dear, buh they do. Check it out via the link below. And yes it's English.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/at-last-america-has-an-official-language-and-yes-its-english-478896.html
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
Sheenor:

Sorry dear, buh they do. Check it out via the link below. And yes it's English.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/at-last-america-has-an-official-language-and-yes-its-english-478896.html

I know my own country, thanks. America has no official language. Dear.

"The most common language in the United States is known as American English. English is the de facto national language of the United States, with 80% of the population claiming it as a mother tongue, and some 95% claiming to speak it "well" or "very well"."

"The United States does not have a national official language; nevertheless, English (specifically American English) is the primary language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements; although there are laws requiring documents such as ballots to be printed in multiple languages when there are large numbers of non-English speakers in an area."

You probably shouldn't cite an article from a British website on an American matter.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by nefertiitii: 6:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
"I have sat down and think about it over and over"
Ewooooo op english teacher
Dis ur grammar na one in town

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by SlyIg(f): 6:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
briantex:

Inama Nkpoh grin

nkap mbak ke ekama the 2go star ecash okuk ke bank because mmese the video mma ke Youtube.

Mfana ibaha sha ... Tum ba ...
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by jamal1010: 6:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I have been wondering why Nigerian students always use the word 'i was like ok' in every of their saying... I found it difficult to believe that 'i was like ok' is a correct short sentence, in English...

because I have sat down and think about this all over and over and over,and through research I found that there is no short sentence in English, like 'i was like ok'.. but some Nigerians are so terrible when it comes to the aspects of speaking or writing standard English...

A student of unilorin came to meet my big bro at home,and he said I have been trying your number since I left Lagos and I WAS LIKE OK LET ME CALL YOUR YOUNGER BROTHER TO CONFIRM..

immediately,I felt the 'spirit of bad English' in what he said above... since then I have been searching,I have been asking those who are highly educated and those who study English in universities.. if the use of I WAS LIKE OK is good to speak..

to nairelanders do any of you have anything to say about this topic... share your own points of view and let some 'BAD English speaker(s)' learn from you.. thanks

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
I was like ok let me correct ur bad English, wot do u mean by ''because I have sat down and think...'' u sef na lerner joor.

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Sheenor: 6:23pm On Oct 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

I know my own country, thanks. America has no official language. Dear.

"The most common language in the United States is known as American English. English is the de facto national language of the United States, with 80% of the population claiming it as a mother tongue, and some 95% claiming to speak it "well" or "very well"."

"The United States does not have a national official language; nevertheless, English (specifically American English) is the primary language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements; although there are laws requiring documents such as ballots to be printed in multiple languages when there are large numbers of non-English speakers in an area."

You probably shouldn't cite an article from a British website on an American matter.

Now i know. Anyways, ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥♡thanks ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥ 
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by todayguest(m): 6:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
Karleb:

That explains why you quoted me twice, just to say this.

Some people can be silly sha.
No offence!!!
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nursy(f): 6:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
And he is forming english 'guru' cheesy
baslone:

I would suggest you keep sitting down to work on this too.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by gnykelly(m): 6:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
that phrase is banal. and so many like that
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 15, 2014
ERCROSS:
Who cares if it's correct or not.. undecided
So far the communication is established.
Moreso..
Must we always follow the Westerners like say we be Mumu... lipsrsealed
We need to start colonizing our own words too jare... angry
And I was like okay...we need a Nigerian-made dictionary too
when I saw this post I was like, ok this guy have said what was in my mind so I should not repeat it.
I am a guy that like coping every good thing I see, but I always make my own version of that good thing thereby making my own name. English is good - an official language, but it will be better if we have our own ascent - a nigerian accent that way we wont look like mumu as my friend has just said.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by nefertiitii: 6:44pm On Oct 15, 2014
IYANGBALI:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,the thing sweet me o

grin grin grin i knw the gal on ur dp
Sure aint you tho
Oya tellme wats ur real name?? angry
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 15, 2014
SlyIg:

nkap mbak ke ekama the 2go star ecash okuk ke bank because mmese the video mma ke Youtube.

Mfana ibaha sha ... Tum ba ...
nso ke mbufo enam mi ke NL emi ndito yoruba eyoyogho?
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by IYANGBALI: 6:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
nefertiitii:

grin grin grin i knw the gal on ur dp
Sure aint you tho
Oya tellme wats ur real name?? angry
my na sikira arokoyo grin
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I can some traces of dullness..(no offence please)
And you don't see traces of dullness in your post ?

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:

because I have sat down and think about this

Look at what you wrote , do you think this is correct ?
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by babs01(m): 7:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
it's like ok Nigeria won
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Octaves(m): 7:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
That's not nigerian english. If you are familiar with hollywood, you will know it's used very much in the US. But like somebody pointed out, it is informal but not grammatically wrong
SeverusSnape:
That's "Nigerian English"... Nigerian students must not speak the "queen's English".Great Nigerian Student's!........ GREAT! cool

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
"I was like Ok" Now let me break it down.
Lets look at the contextual meaning here.
I- The Subjective pronoun
Was- The Past tense Verb
Like- Here it function to describe the mood you are in.
OK- The mood describe by "Like"
This sentence is grammatically correct if taken under contexual meaning with d key note on "Like".
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by tym92(m): 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
Bryan12:
Its a genderal grammer mainly used by 9ja girls.You can hardly come across a guy that says that.cry
....I was like ok, seconded.....
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by kingvicking(m): 7:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
[quote author=Keenysbojan post=27158419]I have been wondering why Nigerian students always use the word 'i was like ok' in every of their saying... I found it difficult to believe that 'i was like ok' is a correct short sentence, in English...
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nichobabe(m): 7:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
At first glance, I was like Ok, another English student coming to teach us how to speak good English, unfortunately this was not the case. Anyway sha, a lot of people have contributed what I have in mind. As in, giving approval for and or disapproval for the use of the phrase. Still yet the answer as to whether it is right or not have not be given.

you nko what do you think?

Please underline what you think are the bad English from the above.

Many thanks
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by iamdjtune: 7:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by kingvicking(m): 7:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
[quote author=Keenysbojan post=27158419]I have been wondering why Nigerian students always use the word 'i was like ok' in every of their saying... I found it difficult to believe that 'i was like ok' is a correct short sentence, in English...

'i was like ok' Is not a word
Trust me, English in Nigeria has been polluted by our ITK (I too know) girls around
Other examples include:
* you mean like seriously
* my friendship of life
In fact, any anything a lady says is bull sh*t. (LoL just kidding)
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:

because I have sat down and think about this all over and over and over
Gbagaun!! Now let me do you a favour and correct your error so that it does not become-unbecoming.
The Law of Concord says:
If you have a singular subject or noun ur verb must be singular and if plural ur verb must be plural.You got a pass on this with ur *I have).
Now to the Agreement of Verb,the Law of concord says:
If a sentence contain two clauses i.e verb they must agree in these terms;
- A past tense must attract a past tense
-And a present tense verb a present tense
Look at ur sentence,can you see it?yea,ehn? Can u spot the gbagaun? *Sat* nd *Think*. It should be *sat* nd *Thought*. My Brother try and study more before posting trash next time.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by nefertiitii: 7:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
IYANGBALI:
my na sikira arokoyo grin

Ok ohh sikiratu
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by ajf(m): 7:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
O.P what are you on about? Even the owners of the language don't always speak grammatically correct English. You don't believe me? go take a walk on the streets of London or New York and you will be surprised instead If giving yourself an unnecessary headache over another man's language.
Plus the example you cited is of somebody that speaks English as a second language and was having an informal conversation anyway.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I can some traces of dullness..(no offence please)

It is you that is dull. Check my post on page two. It is very correct. Check ur dictionary... And u go school abi...

It is informal language
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by IYANGBALI: 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
nefertiitii:

Ok ohh sikiratu
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue
ari oko yo
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by ERCROSS(m): 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

So you didn't know using "like" in this way is American slang.

Who cares ....
tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Students In Viral Shisha Video Suspended: Lagos Orders Their Rehabilitation / Great Day For Me I Graduated With First Class (photo) / Secondary School Closed Over Students Marriages Among Themselves In Bauchi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.