Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,787 members, 7,802,459 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:47 PM

The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students (45612 Views)

Clay Math Institute Denies Century Old Math Problem Solved By Nigerian / The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon / Funny Courses Offered By Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by idu1(m): 8:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I can see some traces of dullness..(no offence please)
so because, he is not in university all his brilliant views on this topic is dull to u? U must b one of these kids that thinks, intelligence nd brilliance is all about university. Seun of nairaland is nt a university graduate nd his has make impact this world nd make millions of naira for himself. U better grow up nd stop being silly.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by spiceybrain(m): 8:40pm On Oct 15, 2014
@op,The bible said you that is trying to remove rafter from another person's eye, why not remove the straw from your eyes? Are you supposed to use the word do? Does is the correct word there instead of do. because do any of you is asking if they can do something. Go and ask again! I was like is a thought in ur mind, not presently but something u ought to have done of have done but it was not carried out. Or do u want me to say I am like?
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by gbemmytop(m): 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I can some traces of dullness..(no offence please)
Dts harsh undecided
Keenysbojan:
I can some traces of dullness..(no offence please)
Dts harsh
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Situation001(m): 8:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
I was like.. ok lemme go bak I ain't got noffin 2 say..
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Nicepoker(m): 8:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
ERCROSS:
Who cares if it's correct or not.. undecided
So far the communication is established..
Moreso..
Must we always follow the Westerners like say we be Mumu... lipsrsealed
We need to start colonizing our own words too jare... angry
And I was like okay...we need a Nigerian-made dictionary too
u must be a prized f00l. How much did u buy ur f00lishness.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by ERCROSS(m): 8:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
Nicepoker:
u must be a prized f00l. How much did u buy ur f00lishness.
Ahn-han...
Broz...
Wetin na .
No be me snatch ur gf naa..
Why u kon dey insalt me like diz naa..
Small small ooo..
Aboki .. wink
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by timmy7(m): 9:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
That is an example of Nigerian made engris tongue another perfect example is "like seriously" infact this one is seriously misused on nl, you will see someone who has nothing reasonable to contribute on a thread and all you will see from that person is "like seriously?" grin
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Keenysbojan(m): 9:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
waoo..front page? can't believe this....
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Sunshinelady(f): 9:06pm On Oct 15, 2014
gistsky:
We speak alot of wrong english in Nigeria, for exampl, at d eastern part of d country toward d south, u hear ppl sayin "i can be able, we can be able", even their teachers, pastors, etc. Hw can u use can and able at d sametime when they mean d same thin?
. Another example: at d western part of d country towds d south too, u hear pple pronounce; 'post office' as 'post oviz', 'hear' as 'ear' , 'protein' as 'pro-taane', 'issue' as 'izhiew' & dis is if u r lucky to meet dose dat can actually speak anoda language besides their mother toungue. This happens even amongst their learned , I don't knw y

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Sunshinelady(f): 9:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
kuuljay:
There is nothing wrong with it if properly punctuated.infact it can even be used in formal writing if properly punctuated
true

1 Like

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Keenysbojan(m): 9:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
To all nairelanders,please make una no vex for my bad English ooo... I doff my hat for all of una... I made FrontPage for d first tym on naireland.... so so so so happy

make una no vex abeg..but 'i was like ok' is wrong to speak..confirmed by a professor
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by ice234: 9:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
Nice sentence
Please think, thought, thinking well oh...
Keenysbojan:

because I have sat down and think about this all over and over and over,and through research I found that there is no short sentence in English, like 'i was like ok'..
Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by ToyinDipo(m): 9:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I have been wondering why Nigerian students always use the word 'i was like ok' in every of their saying... I found it difficult to believe that 'i was like ok' is a correct short sentence, in English...

because I have sat down and think about this all over and over and over,and through research I found that there is no short sentence in English, like 'i was like ok'.. but some Nigerians are so terrible when it comes to the aspects of speaking or writing standard English...

A student of unilorin came to meet my big bro at home,and he said I have been trying your number since I left Lagos and I WAS LIKE OK LET ME CALL YOUR YOUNGER BROTHER TO CONFIRM..

immediately,I felt the 'spirit of bad English' in what he said above... since then I have been searching,I have been asking those who are highly educated and those who study English in universities.. if the use of I WAS LIKE OK is good to speak..

to nairelanders do any of you have anything to say about this topic... share your own points of view and let some 'BAD English speaker(s)' learn from you.. thanks

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Pecca: 9:44pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
I have been wondering why Nigerian students always use the word 'i was like ok' in every of their saying... I found it difficult to believe that 'i was like ok' is a correct short sentence, in English...

because I have sat down and think about this all over and over and over,and through research I found that there is no short sentence in English, like 'i was like ok'.. but some Nigerians are so terrible when it comes to the aspects of speaking or writing standard English...

A student of unilorin came to meet my big bro at home,and he said I have been trying your number since I left Lagos and I WAS LIKE OK LET ME CALL YOUR YOUNGER BROTHER TO CONFIRM..

immediately,I felt the 'spirit of bad English' in what he said above... since then I have been searching,I have been asking those who are highly educated and those who study English in universities.. if the use of I WAS LIKE OK is good to speak..

to nairelanders do any of you have anything to say about this topic... share your own points of view and let some 'BAD English speaker(s)' learn from you.. thanks

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n

THE MISTAKE IS YOURS. THOUGH MY FIELD OF STUDY IS SOME LIGHT YRS AWAY FROM ENGLISH BUT I KNOW THAT IF YOU HAD USED UR INVERTED COMA VERY WELL YOU WOULD HAVE : ' I WAS LIKE, "OK LET ME CALL HIS...".' INSTEAD OF: I WAS LIKE OK LET ME....
MOREOVER TAKE A SECOND LOOK AT UR SECOND PARAGRAPH - "...because I have sat down and THINK about...". IF YOU'VE GOTTA GLASS JAW YOU BETTER WATCH YA MOUTH...LOOSE PUNCHES ABOUND!
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by pseudonomer: 10:06pm On Oct 15, 2014
I was like whadafu...
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by prettiest1(f): 10:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:
did you go to school at all? (no offense)
I was like ok, you who had gone to school, why not tell us the right phrase or sentence to be used? (No offence)
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by heedsa10: 10:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
grammar, grammar, grammar no be success. u see there was a time I met a German man. u know what he used to call we nigerians . too much English little brain. just when countries like germany, Japan ,China even Malaysia are busy inventing new technology for the future. we Nigerian youth are here fight over shit.

can't we just use our brain to do something reseanable. let's invent/produce what other countries will buy from us. we shld stop being a slave to other country.

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by xtervaganza(m): 10:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
Dear op, you're gradually turning to a grammar nazi
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by wirelessssss(m): 11:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
Keenysbojan:

because I have sat down and think about this

immediately,I felt the 'spirit of bad English' in what he said above...

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n

grin grin grin
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by 1runm0le(m): 11:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
I'm like ok, **yawns**
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by delishpot: 11:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
I have heard oyinbo people use that phrase. Its okay to use it as long as it blends into the sentence that follows it.
As in, I was like they all good to go
Any which way sha, as I saw this topic, I was like hmmmnnn, let me just check in to see whats up. As in lets see what would be written.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Skmoda360(m): 12:41am On Oct 16, 2014
Enahi:
@Op am like what the heck is wrong with you?
i was like tired of this op's crap...smiles
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by emerem: 1:06am On Oct 16, 2014
There is nothing wrong with it depending on the usage and punctuation. "I was like(,) ok". Take note of the comma, denote the ok; signifies " I was like------------. Any other word like Saying, doing, going etc could replace the comma to present a correct setting. Hope this is helpful?
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by kending: 1:11am On Oct 16, 2014
Keenysbojan:
are you a member of 'I was like ok' group?

Even the "Like seriously" thing....
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by SlyIg(f): 2:35am On Oct 16, 2014
eesy:

nso ke mbufo enam mi ke NL emi ndito yoruba eyoyogho?

nnama mkpo o.
Nyung nkod mbok mkpo ntipe yet comments.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Vicrobor(m): 5:19am On Oct 16, 2014
Keenysbojan:

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
What of your own?
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by abdurrazaq1995: 5:51am On Oct 16, 2014
I just don't know why,nigerian students will find it difficult to read their books and after all they will claim to exposed and wanting to feel among all. Then you hear them speaking "yoruba english" e.g "light has gone". Instead of "their is power outage" or "they have brought the ligh"t instead of "Their is light". Some will say "yels?" Instead of "yes?" And much more.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by smudge2079(m): 6:13am On Oct 16, 2014
It's kinda cool sha.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by narhomie(f): 7:07am On Oct 16, 2014
I am like ok
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Eldaniel(m): 7:17am On Oct 16, 2014
I saw the sentence,and I was like ok,lemme consult the oracle of English language and he was like ok, try to explain and I was like try to question him in other to knw more.but conclusively the sentence is correct
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Brandybliss(f): 7:20am On Oct 16, 2014
Just want to say this too, i was like okay me to should comment.
Re: The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students by Freekid500(m): 7:58am On Oct 16, 2014
Let us use in case it result i was ok lemme ask english oracle. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife / Old Students Of Ransome Kuti Memorial Lagos Marks 30th Reunion In School Uniform / Students In Viral Shisha Video Suspended: Lagos Orders Their Rehabilitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.