Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,482 members, 7,808,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's (18006 Views)

Why Do Some Married Women Enjoy Their Husband Begging For Sex? / HOT TOPIC: Advice For Married Women Denying Their Husband Conjugal "Rights" / Nigerians With English Surnames (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 15, 2014
It's
getting less uncommon to see women, especially those occupying high
positions in society hyphenating their surnames and their husbands'
surname. I think it's a good thing, at least, it will erase the notion
that the daughter you've invested much in will bear another man's name. Ladies, would you do it? Guys, would you marry a lady that has this notion?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 15, 2014
my wife won't do it

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by EngelNyanibo: 10:26am On Oct 15, 2014
Depends on the Husband.

i will comment later
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 15, 2014
I see no problem with it as long as the husband is okay with it.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 15, 2014
KiddaBlingzz:
my wife won't do it

Why not?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 15, 2014
Unique3:
I see no problem with it as long as the husband is okay with it.

Does this mean your doing it depends on your husband's acceptance?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 15, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Why not?
i just don't like it.
she is taking my last name and not both our last names

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 15, 2014
KiddaBlingzz:
i just don't like it.
she is taking my last name and not both our last names

Well, that's your opinion.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by YungwizzzyChina: 10:39am On Oct 15, 2014
Today is my birthday
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 15, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Does this mean your doing it depends on your husband's acceptance?

Yes, definitely. Marriage involves two people and it works better when they are in agreement over issues that affect them both. I would not expect a woman to go into marriage with her significant other, without first talking over with him this kind of issue. So, yes, she has to carry him along, and very importantly secure his acceptance.

7 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Rosarie(f): 11:03am On Oct 15, 2014
i use it only wen it is relevant.once u re married u ve nothing to do wit ur father anymore.ur kids and u shud have a unison name.

3 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by stinggy(m): 11:27am On Oct 15, 2014
If she wants it that way, I have no problem with it. Whatever makes her happy wink

10 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by ireneidiva(f): 11:34am On Oct 15, 2014
Rosarie:
i use it only wen it is relevant.once u re married u ve nothing to do wit ur father anymore.ur kids and u shud have a unison name.
Once you are married, you have nothing to do with your father again? Okay

14 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by lertee(f): 11:48am On Oct 15, 2014
A woman is not meant to adopt her husband's name in d first place.

The best she can do is use her surname as middle name and her hubby's as last name.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 15, 2014
[quote
author=Rosarie post=27159611]i use it only wen it is relevant.once u re
married u ve nothing to do wit ur father anymore
.ur kids and u shud
have a unison name.[/quote]

shocked Wow.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Godmystrength: 1:40pm On Oct 15, 2014
Rosarie:
This one is strong o
So my own father that doesn't have a son now should forget that he has children anywhere when all of us get married abi? Or maybe keep trying till he gets a son that will have something to do with him even after marriage...

9 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by crackhaus: 2:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
lertee:
A woman is not meant to adopt her husband's name in d first place.
Please elaborate.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
@Godmystrength,

1000 likes for your comment.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by tmosco(m): 2:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
Godmystrength:
This one is strong o
So my own father that doesn't have a son now should forget that he has children anywhere when all of us get married abi? Or maybe keep trying till he gets a son that will have something to do with him even after marriage...

Won't d name still die after u,since ur children will be bearing ur husband's name. What is d point. It only if u and ur husband agree to change ur surnames together.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Godmystrength: 2:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
tmosco:

Won't d name still die after u,since ur children will be bearing ur husband's name. What is d point. It only if u and ur husband agree to change ur surnames together.
Please where did you see me mention anything about NAME in my comment?? besides who told you that any name is dieing??
Maybe you didn't read the comment i quoted and the portion i highlighted... undecided undecided undecided

because a woman is married and now bears her husband's name doesn't mean she shouldn't have anything to do with the father

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by chlowi(f): 2:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
These are some of the issues that ought to be raised during courtship. I do not see anything wrong with it, however the man (husband) has to consent to this!

Both parties have to agree, and who says once your married you have nothing to do with your father? Huh? For real?

No one prays for. A failed marriage but. Hey it happens and in. This case where do you fall back to?

Usher recently demanded his ex wife. To drop his name ooooooo (food for thought)

*jumps out through the Window*

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 15, 2014
I think i understand the view of those who believe the intending husband has to consent, but why wouldn't he?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by tmosco(m): 2:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
Godmystrength:
Please where did you see me mention anything about NAME in my comment?? besides who told you that any name is dieing??
Maybe you didn't read the comment i quoted and the portion i highlighted... undecided undecided undecided

because a woman is married and now bears her husband's name doesn't mean she shouldn't have anything to do with the father

U know I don't mean it like dat, it d change of name we ar talking about.U can't abandon ur family even if u want 2.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
I think it depends on the place you are from... Some places, the child keeps their own name throughout their lifetime, and in others, they don't even have the same last name as their father in the first place. Where I live, the wife keeps her own name, else she has to go thru a name changing procedure that can cost $$$ especially since it involves changes all official documents, birth certificate passport land titles, bank accounts medical insurance... too much stress so we just keep our names, and hyphenate our husbands names for social purposes only.

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by haftob(m): 2:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
Islamically, women are not supposed to change dia surnames to dia husband's name wen they get married, they are supposed to maintain dia father's name,tho many muslims don't do dis or don't even knw abput it sef. So women still using dia father's name are right.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Mention(m): 3:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
I smell fp
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Godmystrength: 3:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
tmosco:

U know I don't mean it like dat, it d change of name we ar talking about.U can't abandon ur family even if u want 2.
Okay. But I wasn't even talking about the change of name in my comment and that was why i highlighted the part i was addressing..
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
I use my father's name and hubby's name at the same time, father's name first and hubby's name last,and hubby doesn't mind.....it's understanding the reason for the use of the names, not a battle of who owns you between your father and your husband.

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by feedthenation(m): 4:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ladies wanting to eat their cakes and still have them.
Always looking for avenue to change the goal posts.

It remains a small time for ladies to start advocating that guys should change their surnames because of equality.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
haftob
post=27165509:

Islamically, women are not supposed to change dia surnames
to dia husband's name wen they get married, they are supposed to
maintain dia father's name,tho many muslims don't do dis or don't even
knw abput it sef. So women still using dia father's name are right.

You're right. I've never heard any of my muslim friends talk about it. How do you know about it. Is it in the Quran?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
Chiamaka01:
the daughter you've invested much in will bear another man's name.

why didn't he marry his daughter ? because he invested much in her,
after collecting bride prize you still want your daughter bear your name?
any father with that mentality will be a bad in-law.

3 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by lertee(f): 4:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
crackhaus:

Please elaborate.
I only wrote that from the islamic viewpoint which is strictly my opinion. Many people that are not of my faith won't agree with me ofcourse.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? / When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable / Letter To Married African Men And Women By Temi Badmus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.