Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,985 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's (17956 Views)

Why Do Some Married Women Enjoy Their Husband Begging For Sex? / HOT TOPIC: Advice For Married Women Denying Their Husband Conjugal "Rights" / Nigerians With English Surnames (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
What are the benefits of adding your father's name to your husband's name? No reasonable reason, just that daughters of politicians and hollywood celebrities do it, so we do it too to emulate them. You are not a celeb neither are you the daughter of a seasoned politician, yet you want to live like one. Have you forgotten that you are the daughter of an ogogoro drunkard? Oh, you want to add that disgusting and tarnished name to mine? I'll only accept such if you are dangote or otedola's daughter.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
Scyllapatron:

why didn't he marry his daughter ? because he invested much in her,
after collecting bride prize you still want your daughter bear your name?
any father with that mentality will be a bad in-law.

Does paying bride-price imply buying his daughter?

3 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
[quote
author=Segeggs post=27167904][/quote]

I already stated my reason. Not every one idolises celebrities, you know.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Does paying bride-price imply buying his daughter?

ask Mom, u 'll understand better.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
Scyllapatron:

ask Mom, u 'll understand better.

It's a really simple question. A simple Yes/No would suffice.

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by sexybash(f): 5:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
I got married a year ago but
I and hubby agreed. That there shall be no change of name until after 20 deserving years
I made him understand he has to earn it
And we are fine :-)I no fit. Shout

5 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Rosarie(f): 6:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
ireneidiva:

Once you are married, you have nothing to do with your father again? Okay
i meant to say u ve nothing to do with your father's name anymore
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
@sexybash, lucky you. I really most guys out there don't have the same mentality with some NL guys, because, that'd be really unfortunate.

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Rosarie(f): 6:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
sexybash:
I got married a year ago but
I and hubby agreed. That there shall be no change of name until after 20 deserving years
I made him understand he has to earn it
And we are fine :-)I no fit. Shout
u just started d journey of marriage.soon u will see a diffrenet husband.even the bible says therefore a man will leave his father and mother and cling unto his wife and both of dem shall be one flesh and one body.the man is d head.if u want happiness i advice u to make a u turn though i believe u a lying.no African man will allow u to SOLELY bear your fathers name.so the mr and mrs u will be ur fathera name den he will write mr his own.lolpls tell dat to birds
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by crackhaus: 6:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
lertee:

I only wrote that from the islamic viewpoint which is strictly my opinion. Many people that are not of my faith won't agree with me ofcourse.
Okay.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
@rosarie, you're right. You've obviously met all african men.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Katier00(f): 6:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
vivalableue:
I think it depends on the place you are from... Some places, the child keeps their own name throughout their lifetime, and in others, they don't even have the same last name as their father in the first place. Where I live, the wife keeps her own name, else she has to go thru a name changing procedure that can cost $$$ especially since it involves changes all official documents, birth certificate passport land titles, bank accounts medical insurance... too much stress so we just keep our names, and hyphenate our husbands names for social purposes only.
I totally agree with you,. I have been married for seven years now but i dnt use my hubby's name, that changing of name stuff is not in my mind now and mind you i stay in nigeria and my hubby has never complain, so i think is understandin btw couple sha

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by sexybash(f): 6:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
Rosarie:
u just started d journey of marriage.soon u will see a diffrenet husband.even the bible says therefore a man will leave his father and mother and cling unto his wife and both of dem shall be one flesh and one body.the man is d head.if u want happiness i advice u to make a u turn though i believe u a lying.no African man will allow u to SOLELY bear your fathers name.so the mr and mrs u will be ur fathera name den he will write mr his own.lolpls tell dat to birds
Show me in your bible that say I should bear my husband name
Or he should bear my name since we are one
Africans and follow mentality. When you go to the village and you. Call some one name they can only identify you with your father's name most times they ask you who is your father and not who is your husband

7 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by haftob(m): 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
Chiamaka01:

You're right. I've never heard any of my muslim friends talk about it. How do you know about it. Is it in the Quran?
The quran talks about it but nt directly but an hadith(a saying of the prophet Muhammad SAW) talks about it directly that a woman shud maintain her father's name after she's married. I think the reason for dis is dat so dat the family tree won't be distorted and our lineage preserved. The idea of changing surname to husband's name is an idea borrowed from the west.

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Winneygirl(f): 7:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
At least she used a hyphen.
Some use 'nee'.
So someone might introduce herself as...
'Mrs Tolulope Omotola Adebayo Nee Eyitemi'

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by aderonila18: 10:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
Nothing wrong with it
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
Lol @ after 20 deserving years. What kind of wusses exist today ffs? 20 years before a wife bears her husbands' name? Some men should be castrated. A woman is an extension of her husband. If you don't want to be a wife, don't get married; you can remain boyfriend/girlfriend like Oprah and Stedman. The moment you decide to tie that knot you relinquish power and authority to that husband of yours. Simples.

Why bear Ekweremad-Ezekwesili? Of what importance, excatly, is it? If you marry a man you are under his authority. No stories about that.

4 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 16, 2014
^^^^
You're a misogynist. A woman is not an extension of her husband.

6 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by stinggy(m): 9:43am On Oct 16, 2014
Chiamaka01:
^^^^
A very bitter one at that.

Really what's my biz with name change? Did I fall in love with your name? Did I marry because I want someone who will adopt my family name? To me, all these things amount to nothing. Ok, what about adopting my last name and even my first name but yet disrespects me, nags, cheats, and do all sorta unthinkables? Which will I prefer?
So many things to busy my head with in life! Last name adoption is the last of them.

8 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by egopersonified(f): 9:54am On Oct 16, 2014
Much ado about nothing.

4 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by NifemiOlu(m): 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2014
2 facts abound:
1. Some women retain their father's name because they're the only child.
2. Some women are core feminists.

In fact, I know a family where they have different surnames. The man uses his father's name. His own children adopted his first name as surname and the wife retained her father's name.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 16, 2014
^^^^
Well you're wrong. I, for one, am not an only child and neither am i a feminist.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by babysmart(f): 6:00pm On Oct 16, 2014
my mom gave birth to 4 girls aldo I av an older step brother. since pry skul nd up till nw my sisters nd I re usually known nd called by our surname. so it has always been my decision dat I will continue to bear my surname evn in marriage hyphen or no

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2014
@babysmart,

We're in similar situations.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by babysmart(f): 6:08pm On Oct 16, 2014
Chiamaka01:
@babysmart,

We're in similar situations.
smiley team keep ur dad's name alive#
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 16, 2014
babysmart:

smiley team keep ur dad's name alive#

cool
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 16, 2014
Chiamaka01:
^^^^
I take exception to your insult woman. You could say a woman is not an extension of a man but a wife is an extension of her husband. There can be no wife without a husband, who is generally who sets the ball rolling as regards starting a family.

By the way, define misogynist for me please. I'd like to learn what that word means.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 16, 2014
stinggy:

A very bitter one at that.

Really what's my biz with name change? Did I fall in love with your name? Did I marry because I want someone who will adopt my family name? To me, all these things amount to nothing. Ok, what about adopting my last name and even my first name but yet disrespects me, nags, cheats, and do all sorta unthinkables? Which will I prefer?
So many things to busy my head with in life! Last name adoption is the last of them.
What you are is the most disgusting effeminate pansy. People marry for a billion reasons, one of which is adopting a particular name because of its importance and its ability to influence their lives for good. But you would prefer that we be indoctrinated with feministic bullshit, wouldn't you? Does not being identified by your name make your wife respect you and give her a calm head? If you do not know the duties, responsibilities and privileges of being a husband feel free to research and stop being stupidly "progressive". Feel free to not marry but have children with as many women as you please, a baby mama isn't obligated to adopt her baby daddy's name not even the children are. But if you want to be married to me you better be prepared to abandon your father's name, I didn't tell him to not birth sons.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 9:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
Lol

I'm also serious how wanting ur wife to bear your name is now misogyny

Or is it just the normal ramblings to silence debate we see around this sezsion

For the pantie sniffers.....well....u will get your wish
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 16, 2014
pickabeau1:
Lol

I'm also serious how wanting ur wife to bear your name is now misogyny

Or is it just the normal ramblings to silence debate we see around this sezsion

For the pantie sniffers.....well....u will get your wish

Of course, every man who has a different opinion to theirs is a misogynist. They'd rather not entertain differing thoughts. But that's ok, they're women. It's the pansies like that stinggy fhool who don't know their left from right that I find irritating. Dude is probably thinking of how to sort for his referenced courses in school and already thinks he knows.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 16, 2014
....Well, its not a big problem so far as both parties agrees.....

I cant do it.....My surname is long....Adding another one will make it longer.....I ll simply choose my husband's name.....Just to relieve myself of some pains and explanations laters.....

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Tallesty1(m): 9:28pm On Oct 16, 2014
Chiamaka01:
I think i understand the view of those who believe the intending husband has to consent, but why wouldn't he?
Why would he?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

#DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? / Will You Accept Your Dad’s Secret Family? / Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.