Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,912 members, 7,806,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

Apc's Desperation For A Northern Presidential Candidate Is Its Downfall- Opinion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apc's Desperation For A Northern Presidential Candidate Is Its Downfall- Opinion (542 Views)

APC Desperation For Oil State; State Of Emergency To Be Declared In Rivers State / 2015: APC Is Blinded By Desperation For Power – PDP / GEJ Is Displaying Desperation For 2015 - David Ugolor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Apc's Desperation For A Northern Presidential Candidate Is Its Downfall- Opinion by publisher(m): 2:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
Imagine if APC fields an Igbo candidate like Soludo or OgbonNaya Onu? How about a George Akume from Benue? I can understand if they don't want to field Fashola from SouthWest for now.

I really want the leadership of APC to realize that MOST Nigerians from Southern Kaduna down to Bonny Island see APC as a Hausa/Fulani muslim party with Yoruba muslim stooges-this is the plain truth.

The average Northern Christian from Plateau, Benue, Taraba, Southern parts of Bauchi,Kaduna,Adamawa and Gombe states are suspicious of the APC.

It is an image problem and the APC is not serious about reversing this trend-they are under the illusion that some powerful Northern cabal of old that controlled Nigeria for 38years still have some mythical role to play. No way!

Nigeria has changed politically; if a presidential candidate cannot muster support from at least five of Nigeria's six geo-political zones,that candidate CANNOT win.

The larger North may have numerical strength over the South (on paper) but the 'Muslim core North' does not.
The APC must wash away its islamic tag by pushing forward a unifying candidate from a least favoured region...and religion.

The PDP had almost zero presence in the South-West, but fielding Obasanjo (a Yoruba man) in 1999 changed it all. Today, based on recent elections,PDP controls close to or over 40% of the South-West with Ondo and Ekiti in the kitty.

A PDP Presidential candidate will always win majority votes in Lagos.

On the other hand, the APC cannot not boast of up to 5% acceptance in the SouthEast. In the South-South, Rotimi Amaechi is just using state resources to put on a show for APC; Adams Oshiomole is 'GEJ friendly'. APC is powerless in the South-South.
This is actually sad because the old APP/ANPP had very strong presence in the SouthEast and South-South regions.

Let me conclude by saying that if APC fields a non-Northern presidential candidate for 2015, they still may not win. BUT, this would lay a solid foundation for establishing APC as a truly national,non-religious party ahead of 2019 elections.

I am Pro-PDP but I desire TWO very strong national political parties.

Source: My opinion.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2015 Elections: Will you be able to tell posterity who you casted your vote for? / Ekiti: Fayose Outlines His Agenda, Insists 'stomach Infrastructure' Is Paramount / Pro-jonathan Group, TAN, Hitby Fraud Allegations Overrented Crowd Payments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.