Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees (50907 Views)

Jumbo Size Eggs For Sale To Be Delivered Or Picked Up From Farm #buy #now / Warning For Women Who Want To Freeze Their Eggs / Why Are some Mothers Cruel To their Female Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 16, 2014
Segeggs:
what I mean is that you should try laying ur view in a polite manner instead of reacting like a starved lioness.

I have been very polite for a long time. There is a reason why I make an exception with a few people.
Enough is enough.

9 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 20, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Older men five times more likely to father children with birth defects

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1223230/Older-men-likely-father-children-birth-defects.html#ixzz3GiqL4wNg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

'Don't leave it too late to have children,' MEN are warned, as research finds older dads are more likely to have 'mutant sperm'
Studies have found that as a man ages, his sperm becomes poorer quality
Mutations cause stem cells in the testicles to divide abnormally
This results in an increasing proportion of mutant sperm as men age
Older fathers have higher risk of fathering a child with a disorder like autism

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2564752/Dont-leave-late-children-MEN-warned-research-finds-older-dads-likely-mutant-sperm.html#ixzz3GiqSt0aV

Fathers bequeath more mutations as they age

http://www.nature.com/news/fathers-bequeath-more-mutations-as-they-age-1.11247

A Man's Shelf Life
As men age, their fertility decreases and the health risks to their unborn offspring skyrocket.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200708/mans-shelf-life

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by Kanwulia: 11:08pm On Oct 20, 2014
This is good news!
NO NEED TO WAIT FOR ONE YEYE Mr."WONG" with diseases! cheesy
It is becoming a woman's world!
Glad I am alive to witness this! grin
Who wants to "MEN"STRUATE for more than 20 years? undecided
I really do not know what that your DANE GOD of BLOOODY SACRIFICES was thinking o! undecided

Who wants to wear tampons for more than 10 years plus THE SCOURGE OF FIBROID TUMORS as "extra love" from una religious babalawo Gods?

THANK YOU APPLE!!!!
THANK YOU FACEBOOK!!!!

All diz BLOOOOOOOOODS we have been SHIARRRRRRING must stop!
Say NO to stinking pooohsie!!!!! grin

*sssssshai. . . . . .time for my sweeeeeeeet job o jare* cool

2 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by cococandy(f): 11:51pm On Oct 20, 2014
This bit is true. I know it to be true.

When Older male- younger female versus older female -younger male couples mate, it is more possible to have birth defects from the former group than the latter
carefreewannabe:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Older men five times more likely to father children with birth defects

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1223230/Older-men-likely-father-children-birth-defects.html#ixzz3GiqL4wNg

'Don't leave it too late to have children,' MEN are warned, as research finds older dads are more likely to have 'mutant sperm'
Studies have found that as a man ages, his sperm becomes poorer quality
Mutations cause stem cells in the testicles to divide abnormally
This results in an increasing proportion of mutant sperm as men age
Older fathers have higher risk of fathering a child with a disorder like autism

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2564752/Dont-leave-late-children-MEN-warned-research-finds-older-dads-likely-mutant-sperm.html#ixzz3GiqSt0aV

Fathers bequeath more mutations as they age

http://www.nature.com/news/fathers-bequeath-more-mutations-as-they-age-1.11247

A Man's Shelf Life
As men age, their fertility decreases and the health risks to their unborn offspring skyrocket.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200708/mans-shelf-life

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by TV01(m): 1:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
cococandy:
This bit is true. I know it to be true.

When Older male- younger female versus older female -younger male couples mate, it is more possible to have birth defects from the former group than the latter
We all know that men also have a "window of opportunity" when it comes to marriage and childbirth. Although I hadn't actually heard the above before - but assuming it's true - all the more reason for men and women to consider and engage marriage in a timely fashion.

One thing though, what is the proportion of "older female - younger male" couples (and I don't mean a relatively small age gap)? A rather small percentage I'd wager - and even smaller when you think in terms of "marriages/real committed relationships".

Cougars feeling funky are hardly likely to be in permanent/long-term relationships with children in view. It's more likely the young bobo has his fill of her and then finds himself a nubile young filly to procreate with grin.

TV

2 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by cococandy(f): 2:26pm On Oct 21, 2014
I'm not arguing that. Nor am I interested in numbers or proportion.

Older men marry younger women more easily than older women marry younger men(in my side of the world)
I only used such examples so that in each case,it is clear who's contributing the aging gametes.

But even older male/older female mating poses a risk of birth defect and which is more often than not a fault from the aging sperm and not the eggs.
I'm talking the biological aspect not the social one.

TV01:

We all know that men also have a "window of opportunity when it comes to marriage and childbirth. Although I hadn't actually heard the above before - but assuming it's true - all the more reason for men and women to consider and engage marriage in a timely fashion.

One thing though, what is the proportion of "older female - younger male" couples (and I don't mean a relatively small age gap)? A rather small percentage I'd wager - and even smaller when you think in terms of "marriages/real committed relationships".

Cougars feeling funky are hardly likely to be in permanent/long-term relationships with children in view. It's more likely the young bobo has his fill of her and then finds himself a nubile young filly to procreate with grin.

TV

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by TV01(m): 2:35pm On Oct 21, 2014
Just read through all the links. Interesting, although nothing new in an overarching sense – both men and women have optimal marriage/childbirth windows - but informative in the additional detail and the insight given to the hows and whys.

As women age, fertility wanes, but the quality of their eggs – of which she receive a full complement at birth – does not.

As men age, the quality of the sperm produced – as production is continuous – reduces, and they are more likely to pass on DNA mutations to any offspring.

Obviously if the mothers copy of the affected gene is fine, there is a decreased risk of the bad gene being passed on. It also seems, that where they are passed on, paternal bad genes are more likely to lead to miscarriages.

The effects seem to start showing in men around 40 (but could be earlier?) and are more noticeable by the time they hit their 50’s. It’s also very much lifestyle and environment driven.

A healthy lifestyle of good eating, exercise and the like should enhance the quality of sperm. Some of the chemicals in the food chain and contaminants everyday items certainly give pause for thought.

For women, as they age, it’s the ability to conceive that wanes. For men, it the quality of their sperm. You have been warned. GO out and marry. Marry well and with understanding. Try and do it in as timely a manner as possible.

Strong marriages, healthy homes , flourishing societies.

Brought to you by the BeFoRec Foundation.

TV

2 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by TV01(m): 2:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
cococandy:
I'm not arguing that. Nor am I interested in numbers or proportion.
I wasn't arguing for or against. I plainly stated I hadn't been aware of that fact?

cococandy:
Older men marry younger women more easily than older women marry younger men(in my side of the world)
Which is the point I made, older woman - yonger man couples are relatively few??

cococandy:
I only used such examples so that in each case, it is clear who's contributing the aging gametes.
The fact that "eggs" are not "aged" as such and sperm are, is not the whole story in procreation.

cococandy:
But even older male/older female mating poses a risk of birth defect and which is more often than not a fault from the aging sperm and not the eggs.
As per my post above, age in women is about capability/fertility, in men it seems to be more about quality

cococandy:
I'm talking the biological aspect not the social one.
And that's perfectly fine and understood, but the two work in tandem, and for a reason wink!

TV
Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by coogar: 2:58pm On Oct 21, 2014
TV01:
Just read through all the links. Interesting, although nothing new in an overarching sense – both men and women have optimal marriage/childbirth windows - but informative in the additional detail and the insight given to the hows and whys.

there's little or no truth in the biological clock of men. several other researches have proven there's no significant risk of down syndrome in men older age unlike the women. a woman's biological clock ticks 1,000 times faster than that of men.

[img]http://igniss.blog.hr/slike/l/autizam_sizofrenija_i_dijabetes_s_muskom_dobi.png[/img]

look at the red line(men) and black line(women). whose is worse?? there are hundreds of researches on the internet & in the cases where autism or down syndrome was found with older men, it was because the older men married older women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12771769/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6220960/?i=4&from=/19449414/related

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19449414/?i=8&from=/12771769/related
Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by cococandy(f): 3:01pm On Oct 21, 2014
TV01:

I wasn't arguing for or against. I plainly stated I hadn't been aware of that fact?

lol. I meant I wasn't arguing against your point that older men have a bigger window of opportunity. cheesy grin

Which is the point I made, older woman - yonger man couples are relatively few??

and I agreed with you.

The fact that "eggs" are not "aged" as such and sperm are, is not the whole story in procreation.

almost the whole. But not the whole story

As per my post above, age in women is about capability/fertility, in men it seems to be more about quality

agreed to an extent. Asides from fertility issues women generally get better with age too. personality wise. Everyone does. Life humbles us all.

And that's perfectly fine and understood, but the two work in tandem, and for a reason wink!

TV
Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by TV01(m): 3:20pm On Oct 21, 2014
cococandy:
lol. I meant I wasn't arguing against your point that older men have a bigger window of opportunity.
I wasn't making that point. Just that both males and females have windows, and we should be aware and aim for as close an overlap as possible for best results

cococandy:
and I agreed with you.
Ok

cococandy:
almost the whole. But not the whole story
Not if you consider fertility, conception, gestation and delivery. There are potential risks and problems at every stage.

cococandy:
agreed to an extent. Asides from fertility issues women generally get better with age too. personality wise. Everyone does. Life humbles us all.
"Better with age" probably comes to bear on nurture as opposed to procreation. And older fathers usually possess the exact same age related improvements as older mothers.

TV
Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by TV01(m): 3:25pm On Oct 21, 2014
coogar:

there's little or no truth in the biological clock of men. several other researches have proven there's no significant risk of down syndrome in men older age unlike the women. a woman's biological clock ticks 1,000 times faster than that of men.

[img]http://igniss.blog.hr/slike/l/autizam_sizofrenija_i_dijabetes_s_muskom_dobi.png[/img]

look at the red line(men) and black line(women). whose is worse?? there are hundreds of researches on the internet & in the cases where autism or down syndrome was found with older men, it was because the older men married older women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12771769/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6220960/?i=4&from=/19449414/related

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19449414/?i=8&from=/12771769/related

I don't agree with the bolded.

There is a biological clock for men - even if it's only in terms of the quality of their sperm. Although I see your point in terms of an absolute ability to procreate.

I'd also agree that a mans clock (and thus window) is slightly more favourable and probably more amenable to lifestyle change enhancements.
And as noted, a couple with two older partners has even more risks and potentiual issues along the procreation chain.

TV
Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by coogar: 3:25pm On Oct 21, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Coogar came to this thread and posted a diagram about the risks of down syndrome by maternal age and he was feeling like a genius but he was too re*tarded to think of other birth defects such as, for example, autism and schizophrenia. grin grin grin

you must have been born spiritually blind.

on the graph says A S D(red line)

a = autism
s = schizophrenia
d = diabetes

TV01:

I don't agree with the bolded.
There is a biological clock for men - even if it's only in terms of the quality of their sperm. Although I see your point in terms of an absolute ability to procreate.
I'd also agree that a mans clock (and thus window) is slightly more favourable and probably more amenable to lifestyle change enhancements.
And as noted, a couple with two older partners has even more risks and potentiual issues along the procreation chain.
TV

this is the research results....

BACKGROUND: Although the association between maternal age and the risks of birth defects has been well studied, the evidence from population data linking paternal age with birth defects was limited and inconsistent.

METHODS: We conducted a population-based retrospective cohort study of 5,213,248 subjects from the 1999-2000 birth registration data of the USA. Multiple logistic regressions were used to estimate the independent effect of paternal age on all birth defects and 21 specific defects groups after adjusting for potential confounding of maternal age, race, education, marital status, parity, prenatal care initiation, maternal smoking and alcohol drinking during pregnancy.

RESULTS: A total of 77,514 (1.5%) birth defects were recorded in the study cohort. The adjusted odds ratios were 1.04 (1.01, 1.06), 1.08 (1.04, 1.12), 1.08 (1.02, 1.14) and 1.15 (1.06, 1.24), respectively, for infants born to fathers 30-35, 40-44, 45-49 and over 50 years (test for trend, P = 0.0155),

when compared with those infants born to fathers aged 25-29 for any birth defect. Advanced paternal age was associated with increased risks of heart defects, tracheo-oesophageal fistulaoesophageal atresia, other musculoskeletal/integumental anomalies, Down's syndrome and other chromosomal anomalies.

Fathers under 25 years of age were also at increased risks of spina bifida/meningocele, microcephalus, omphalocele/gastroschisis and other musculoskeletal/integumental anomalies.

CONCLUSIONS: Infants born to older fathers have a slightly increased risk of birth defects. Young paternal age is also associated with slightly increased risk of several selected birth defects in their offspring. However, given the weak association, paternal age appears to play a small role in the aetiology of birth defects.

4 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by TV01(m): 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2014
coogar:

you must have been born spiritually blind.

on the graph says A S D(red line)

a = autism
s = schizophrenia
d = diabetes

this is the research results....

BACKGROUND: Although the association between maternal age and the risks of birth defects has been well studied, the evidence from population data linking paternal age with birth defects was limited and inconsistent.

METHODS: We conducted a population-based retrospective cohort study of 5,213,248 subjects from the 1999-2000 birth registration data of the USA. Multiple logistic regressions were used to estimate the independent effect of paternal age on all birth defects and 21 specific defects groups after adjusting for potential confounding of maternal age, race, education, marital status, parity, prenatal care initiation, maternal smoking and alcohol drinking during pregnancy.

RESULTS: A total of 77,514 (1.5%) birth defects were recorded in the study cohort. The adjusted odds ratios were 1.04 (1.01, 1.06), 1.08 (1.04, 1.12), 1.08 (1.02, 1.14) and 1.15 (1.06, 1.24), respectively, for infants born to fathers 30-35, 40-44, 45-49 and over 50 years (test for trend, P = 0.0155),

when compared with those infants born to fathers aged 25-29 for any birth defect. Advanced paternal age was associated with increased risks of heart defects, tracheo-oesophageal fistulaoesophageal atresia, other musculoskeletal/integumental anomalies, Down's syndrome and other chromosomal anomalies.

Fathers under 25 years of age were also at increased risks of spina bifida/meningocele, microcephalus, omphalocele/gastroschisis and other musculoskeletal/integumental anomalies.

CONCLUSIONS: Infants born to older fathers have a slightly increased risk of birth defects. Young paternal age is also associated with slightly increased risk of several selected birth defects in their offspring. However, given the weak association, paternal age appears to play a small role in the aetiology of birth defects.

Hmmm...

Although this study sounds plausible, I don't think I can objectively write of all the other studies. Even the last two links Carefreewannabee posted (not the Daily Mail ones), seemed scientifically conclusive that age was a factor in male fertility a lá sperm quality.

Maybe we should be looking for something more recent? Althpugh there seems to be a body of evidence to support age related deterioration in men - or are we quibbling over how much, not if?

TV
Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by coogar: 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
TV01:

Hmmm...

Although this study sounds plausible, I don't think I can objectively write of all the other studies. Even the last two links Carefreewannabee posted (not the Daily Mail ones), seemed scientifically conclusive that age was a factor in male fertility a lá sperm quality.

Maybe we should be looking for something more recent? Althpugh there seems to be a body of evidence to support age related deterioration in men - or are we quibbling over how much, not if?

TV

yes, we are discussing how much effect do older dads have on birth defects. there are other variables that weren't looked into in the older studies.

•the maternal age of the partner of the older dad
•prenatal care initiation,
•maternal smoking
•drugs during pregnancy.
•alcohol drinking during pregnancy

all these factors were not put into consideration in the older studies. they just plated statistics on the kids with the birth defects and the age of the dads.....they even ignored the age of the mothers. how's that accurate enough?

carefreewannabe:

@bold
So you really think medical researchers were so dvmb that they would not take the age of mothers into consideration? grin grin grin
Keep deceiving yourself but hurry up, your sp*erm is going bad. grin grin grin

yes, they ignored it....according to this research.

There has been a long-running debate about the association between paternal age and birth defects. Some studies have failed to adequately control for maternal age, and have suffered from high levels of missing paternal age, raising concerns over selection bias.

This paper analyzes an anonymously case-controlled dataset with 98% complete parental age data, originally collected to investigate the association between parental exposure to birth defects.

In our methods the cases and controls were matched on maternal age to within 6 months, and conditional logistic regression was used to estimate the odds ratio associated with a 10-year increase in paternal age.

Our results showed the estimated odds ratio for a birth defect pregnancy associated with a 10-year increase in paternal age was 1.13, 95%CI (0.85, 1.52). There was no statistically significant evidence of an association between paternal age and birth defects, but the estimated association was positive. The size of the estimated effect is considerably smaller than the effect of maternal age.

2 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 21, 2014
coogar:

yes, we are discussing how much effect do older dads have on birth defects. there are other variables that weren't looked into in the older studies.

•maternal smoking
•drugs during pregnancy.

all these factors were not put into consideration in the older studies. they just plated statistics on the kids with the birth defects and the age of the dads.....they even ignored the age of the mothers. how's that accurate enough?

@bold

The sources you provided are older than mine. grin grin grin

Do you now get why providing a source is important? grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by coogar: 3:58pm On Oct 21, 2014
carefreewannabe:

@bold

The sources you provided are older than mine. grin grin grin

Do you now get why providing a source is important? grin grin grin

who cares about sources?
all i know is statistics can always be manipulated to suit whatever agenda evil ewoks like yourself want to achieve.

it would be wrong to form a conclusion on older dads with older moms on birth defects. you have to keep the age of the moms lower than 30 to accurately see whether older dads are prone to birth defects & if yes - how much!!!

2 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 21, 2014
coogar:

•maternal smoking
•drugs during pregnancy.

There has been a long-running debate about the association between paternal age and birth defects. Some studies have failed to adequately control for maternal age, and have suffered from high levels of missing paternal age, raising concerns over selection bias.

This paper analyzes an anonymously case-controlled dataset with 98% complete parental age data, originally collected to investigate the association between parental exposure to birth defects.

In our methods the cases and controls were matched on maternal age to within 6 months, and conditional logistic regression was used to estimate the odds ratio associated with a 10-year increase in paternal age.

Our results showed the estimated odds ratio for a birth defect pregnancy associated with a 10-year increase in paternal age was 1.13, 95%CI (0.85, 1.52). There was no statistically significant evidence of an association between paternal age and birth defects, but the estimated association was positive. The size of the estimated effect is considerably smaller than the effect of maternal age.

Your sources are older than mine. grin grin

Latest research has considered all these factors wink wink wink

Unlike you who only considers other factors when it comes to paternal age but never to maternal. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by TV01(m): 4:00pm On Oct 21, 2014
coogar:

•maternal smoking
•drugs during pregnancy.

If Coogars point above are true - essentially earlier studies did not control for other variables apart from Paternal age, then the onus is on CareFreeWannabe to produce some that do.

It's likely - especially in the West, where men are typically shamed into marrying older women cheesy - that older father simply meant older mothers.

Please, do quick - this is getting interesting, I may have to revise my estimate of the male window grin

TV
Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 21, 2014
coogar:

who cares about sources?
all i know is statistics can always be manipulated to suit whatever agenda evil ewoks like yourself want to achieve.

Educated people do. wink
As you can see the year of publication is very important in this context and as statistics can be manipulated the source should be even more important.

How can an ignoramus understand it? grin

it would be wrong to form a conclusion on older dads with older moms on birth defects. you have to keep the age of the moms lower than 30 to accurately see whether older dads are prone to birth defects & if yes - how much!!!

Really? grin grin grin

But it is right to make this conclusion for older moms who are rarely married to younger men. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Facebook And Apple To Freeze Eggs For Their Female Employees by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 21, 2014
TV01:

If Coogars point above are true - essentially earlier studies did not control for other variables apart from Paternal age, then the onus is on CareFreeWannabe to produce some that do.

It's likely - especially in the West, where men are typically shamed into marrying older women cheesy - that older father simply meant older mothers.

Please, do quick - this is getting interesting, I may have to revise my estimate of the male window grin

TV

If you had been well educated in a sane country like I, you would have been able to check that his sources are older than mine. grin grin grin

Ignoramus.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Newborn Baby Girl With Cute Eyebrow (Photos) / Adorable Video Of Nigeria Mature Couple Bantering At Each Other In Rivers State / Woman Flies Her Husband To Abu Dhabi For His 30th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.