Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,777 members, 7,802,386 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? (5508 Views)

I Have Repented From GAYISM, Jesus Be Praised / Was Jonah Really Alive In The Belly Of Fish? / Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:08pm On Oct 15, 2014
Why was Jonah angry that the Ninevites repented and decided to follow God?

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jonah-angry.html

Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by temisukanmi(f): 10:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
Frustration
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by CyreB: 3:04pm On Oct 16, 2014
Prophet Jonah was angry for some reasons as can also be found in 'christiandom' today :
1. The spirit of 'I' that make preachers to say (if 'I' be a man of G(g)od let....): you can call it pride.
2. Lack of compassion for the lost souls.
3. Forgetfulness of the fact that, he/we are saved only by God's mercy (and faith in Christ as in our generation today). Therefore, we pray judgemental prayers: die!die!die!!!...
e.t.c.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by Simpsonrocket(m): 3:30pm On Oct 16, 2014
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Saducees coming to His baptism, he said to them, "Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Matt3:7
Jonah was not happy for the salvation that the Lord has sent him to preach to the Ninevites. He wanted God to destroy them because of their evil.
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by arimahoseloka(m): 3:58pm On Oct 16, 2014
he was not happy because he felt God was unfair to him because he has been obeying and following God. while people of Nineveh have been sinning and God just forgave them so easily

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by esere826: 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Jonah 4 "But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. 2 He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity"

God send am message, Jonah run
fellow passengers throw am inside sea
Fish swallow am vomit am
God say make him continue the message
Jonah carry bell dey ring round the city "thou saith the lord"

Jonah kak far away from the city to witness cinema of fire and brimestone
God no do anything to the city
instead some nairalanders come dey yab am saying "false prophet"

If na u, u no go vex?

1 Like

Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
CyreB:

Prophet Jonah was angry for some reasons as can also be found in 'christiandom' today :
1. The spirit of 'I' that make preachers to say (if 'I' be a man of G(g)od let....): you can call it pride.
2. Lack of compassion for the lost souls.
3. Forgetfulness of the fact that, he/we are saved only by God's mercy (and faith in Christ as in our generation today). Therefore, we pray judgemental prayers: die!die!die!!!...
e.t.c.

Good points there.
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
temisukanmi:

Frustration

But why would he be frustrated?
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
Simpsonrocket:

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Saducees coming to His baptism, he said to them, "Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Matt3:7
Jonah was not happy for the salvation that the Lord has sent him to preach to the Ninevites. He wanted God to destroy them because of their evil.

Could there be a reason for his anger against the Ninevites?
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:41pm On Nov 14, 2014
arimahoseloka:

he was not happy because he felt God was unfair to him because he has been obeying and following God. while people of Nineveh have been sinning and God just forgave them so easily

That is the mercy of God that we are enjoying today. It is my prayer that we would not let His grace be in vain over our lives.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:43pm On Nov 14, 2014
esere826:

Jonah 4 "But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. 2 He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity"

Fish swallow am vomit am

If na u, u no go vex?

Knowing the grace and mercy of God I no go vex. grin grin grin
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by Simpsonrocket(m): 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Could there be a reason for his anger against the Ninevites?
you are still on this topic? You better repent and stop prolonging matters.
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:49pm On Nov 14, 2014
Simpsonrocket:

you are still on this topic? You better repent and stop prolonging matters.

What matter am I prolonging?
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by sukkot: 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
he wasnt angry when nineveh repented. he was angry when God repented ( meaning God stopped punishing nineveh ).
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 3:07am On Nov 15, 2014
esere826:

Fish swallow am vomit am

If na u, u no go vex?
well said bro, it just d human nature that takes toll on him dat also remind me of Moses wey God say make him strike rock once but wen prophet hear noise and shout of d children of Israel nobody tell am bfor him nak d rock twice. so it is just our human nature.
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53pm On Nov 16, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "Why was Jonah angry that the Ninevites repented (Jonah 4:1-2)?"

Answer: It seems strange that a preacher would be angry that his listeners repented of their sin, but that is exactly Jonah’s reaction to the Ninevites’ repentance. Jonah 4:2 tells us why: “O LORD, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country? That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster.” Jonah knew from the start that God was gracious and merciful. He realized that if the people of Nineveh repented, God would spare them. The prophet was angry at their repentance because he would rather see them destroyed.

There are several possible reasons for Jonah’s desire to see Nineveh destroyed. First, Nineveh was the capital city of Assyria, a ruthless and warlike people who were enemies of Israel. Nineveh’s destruction would have been seen as a victory for Israel. Second, Jonah probably wanted to see Nineveh’s downfall to satisfy his own sense of justice. After all, Nineveh deserved God’s judgment. Third, God’s withholding of judgment from Nineveh could have made Jonah’s words appear illegitimate, since he had predicted the city’s destruction.

We can learn from Jonah’s negative example that we should praise God for His goodness. First, our God is a merciful God, willing to forgive all those who repent (see 2 Peter 3:9). The Ninevites were Gentiles, yet God still extended His salvation to them. In His goodness, God warned the Assyrians before sending judgment, giving them a chance to repent.

Second, God cares for people of every nation. He is, by nature, a Savior. As Luke 15 reveals in the parables of the lost sheep, lost coin, and lost son, God’s heart is for the redemption of all who will come to Him. Further, the Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20 emphasizes God’s call to take God’s message of “good news” to all the nations. Romans 1:16 also emphasizes the importance of sharing the gospel with both Jews and non-Jews.

Third, God is concerned for children. The mention of “more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left” (Jonah 4:11) may refer to young children. When God mentions His concern for this group, He highlights His love and concern for all the children of the world.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jonah-angry.html#ixzz3JH6XFptW
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by temisukanmi(f): 2:16pm On Nov 23, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

But why would be he frustrated?
cos after all d stress he went through in d belly of d fish ... God was stil merciful to d people of nineveh.. grin
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:31am On Nov 24, 2014
temisukanmi:

cos after all d stress he went through in d belly of d fish ... God was stil merciful to d people of nineveh.. grin

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:16am On Nov 25, 2014
temisukanmi:

The word "stress" is an understatement. grin
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by delishpot: 8:36pm On Nov 25, 2014
Because the people of Nineveh were wicked. Lets take Boko haram boys for an example. They bombed, killed and beheaded innocent men, women and even kids. Everyone will be waiting for God to punish them, praying that they will meet their doom one day. Only for God to call a priest to go preach to them and they repent. Some people will feel like God wasnt fair. How can he kill a man that touched the ark to prevent it from falling yet he spared shekau who beheaded christian babies? That was why jonah was angry. He felt that God was partial and wanted those sinners to pay.
Its human nature of vengance.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by ElRey01: 10:51pm On Nov 25, 2014
delishpot:
Because the people of Nineveh were wicked. Lets take Boko haram boys for an example. They bombed, killed and beheaded innocent men, women and even kids. Everyone will be waiting for God to punish them, praying that they will meet their doom one day. Only for God to call a priest to go preach to them and they repent. Some people will feel like God wasnt fair. How can he kill a man that touched the ark to prevent it from falling yet he spared shekau who beheaded christian babies? That was why jonah was angry. He felt that God was partial and wanted those sinners to pay.
Its human nature of vengance.
You really captured it. We should understand that the ways of God are not the ways of man. We should not be surprise that where we place judgement and condemnation as humans God may declare mercy and forgiveness. That's why the bible tells us not to judge anything before its time.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by temisukanmi(f): 8:44am On Nov 26, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The word "stress" is an understatement. grin
so what should d right word be?
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by DeepSight(m): 10:09am On Nov 26, 2014
^^^ Confoundment and compounded misery grin
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by ifex370(m): 2:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
temisukanmi:
so what should d right word be?

hiii
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by Tomytomy3: 2:44pm On Nov 26, 2014
Jonah was not angry because the Ninevite repented, but because God dissapointed him.
God told him to prophesy to the people of Nineveh(as a renowned prophet) that in 40 days they all will be destroyed. Jonah did same only for the prophesy to fail, turning Jonah into a false prophet. If it were you wouldn't you be angry?
MORAL LESSON: God has no pleasure in killing a sinner.
Re: Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:24am On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "Why was Jonah angry that the Ninevites repented (Jonah 4:1-2)?"

Answer: It seems strange that a preacher would be angry that his listeners repented of their sin, but that is exactly Jonah’s reaction to the Ninevites’ repentance. Jonah 4:2 tells us why: “O LORD, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country? That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster.” Jonah knew from the start that God was gracious and merciful. He realized that if the people of Nineveh repented, God would spare them. The prophet was angry at their repentance because he would rather see them destroyed.

There are several possible reasons for Jonah’s desire to see Nineveh destroyed. First, Nineveh was the capital city of Assyria, a ruthless and warlike people who were enemies of Israel. Nineveh’s destruction would have been seen as a victory for Israel. Second, Jonah probably wanted to see Nineveh’s downfall to satisfy his own sense of justice. After all, Nineveh deserved God’s judgment. Third, God’s withholding of judgment from Nineveh could have made Jonah’s words appear illegitimate, since he had predicted the city’s destruction.

We can learn from Jonah’s negative example that we should praise God for His goodness. First, our God is a merciful God, willing to forgive all those who repent (see 2 Peter 3:9). The Ninevites were Gentiles, yet God still extended His salvation to them. In His goodness, God warned the Assyrians before sending judgment, giving them a chance to repent.

Second, God cares for people of every nation. He is, by nature, a Savior. As Luke 15 reveals in the parables of the lost sheep, lost coin, and lost son, God’s heart is for the redemption of all who will come to Him. Further, the Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20 emphasizes God’s call to take God’s message of “good news” to all the nations. Romans 1:16 also emphasizes the importance of sharing the gospel with both Jews and non-Jews.

Third, God is concerned for children. The mention of “more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left” (Jonah 4:11) may refer to young children. When God mentions His concern for this group, He highlights His love and concern for all the children of the world.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jonah-angry.html#ixzz3JH6XFptW

(1) (Reply)

DIGC CROSSOVER MESSAGE. By Dr. Pst. Paul Enenche / Where Are You Worshipping Today? Am OFM -HQ / Queen Elizabeth To Attend Worship And Communion Service With Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.