Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,895 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality (36973 Views)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / First Kaduna Oil and Gas Career Fair and Training (FREE FOR ALL) / How Easy Getting Oil &gas Career Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
Chiscomax:

you want to judge now shey. what he is bluntly saying is that countries without crude/natural resources put more effort in their educational system. read his post again abeg

according to what he posted, he said;

"By, contrast, says Schleicher, “in countries with little in the way of natural resources — Finland, Singapore or Japan — education has strong outcomes and a high status, at least in part because the public at large has understood that the country must live by its knowledge and skills and that these depend on the quality of education. ... Every parent and child in these countries knows that skills will decide the life chances of the child and nothing else is going to rescue them, so they build a whole culture and education system around it.”
yes , he never said all the countries bro , try and understand , sound educational system is part of a human resources development ... the fact that congo has got little natural resource does not mean they must definitely put effort in quality education , it takes a good government to see this .... this is what we need to understand ... here is the logic of development " you dont develop a business , you develop people and people develop the business... thats why every good company strive for the best talents... our indigenous industries needs to see this , that why they also have got responsibilities in making our educational system sound .... all the multinationals existing today never started the way they are , they started as a one man business .. one or two people bringing ideas and then investing in it and like minded talented individuals, thats why they are where they are today . even the government owned companbies believes in quality human resources , take saudi aramco for instance . it is that time we change trhe kind of people we call Nigerians and thats starts from good educational system , industries taking on people with ideas and innovations not their family members as it were , government investing in talents via training, good education... with little or no time , you will see changes in the way people around you reason.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Feraz(m): 12:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
yemstok:
Nice thread o.p, but that won't stop my dream of working in an oil&gas firm.

I've learnt Never to measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was.

Every height is attainable it all depends on ur attitude towards it.

#teamEngineering
The write-up was not aimed at discouraging people from working in the O & G sector or pursuing a career there, but to enlighten most of us of the opportunities we have left to waste away in the other fields of Engineering.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 24, 2014
patrickkkk:
grin Exactly, you on point. The engineers of our generation are not driven by passion or interest for the job rather driven by comfort e.g fat salary. Am afraid it will only get worse as long as we continue to have wrong people for the engineering profession.
thumbs up , wrong people in the wrong profession because of the wrong orientation and mentality .....

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
Cutehector4u:
Who is this human being dats sayn dat oil and gas engineers sit down in d office doin nohin and at the end of the day they will collect 1.2million naira... R u crazy?
only few understand what the industry entails ..... folks in the engineering industry are never jokers ... if you perhaps got in thru the back door , in a short time you get fired , atimes no one tells you before you resign .

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Feraz(m): 1:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
bushdoc9919:
Another commonsense post on Nairaland!

If our engineers did what the OP is proposing...Nigeria will beome an industrial superpower.

But Nigerians want their share of the oil candy at eight am every morning, thank you very much.

Oil is a CURSE.

(p.s-1.2million naira a month? Are you kidding me?)
grin grin It is an assumption. Enjoyed your many inputs. The article about the Dutch disease ish is so so on point.
lomomike:
Feraz, I'm glad you brought this topic up. Its an eye opener and I'm glad about that. I believe this is a wake up call to everyone out there to set sail, achieve something, do something you'll be remembered for. The reason why politicians and job employers still play pranks with graduate and why some of our graduates are looked down upon is because they felt they've studied hard, and now its time to enjoy government money or white collar jobs. This is a worrying trend because I know engineers and other technical based experts are suppose to be on the field coordinating things think deeply and create new things, bring up new innovative stuffs rather than justling for Bank jobs, oil and gas company jobs or other jobs.
I have a friend who is a 1st class engineer still carrying certificates and jumping from one interview to another seeking white collar job. The last time I spoke with him I told him its not where you are employed that matter, what matters is what's your vision, to be a slave or a master, you've got to choose.
Now folks would criticize me for saying out there in the developed world there's no much opportunity to start up something new, grow, expand and become a force to be reckoned with. But trust me, there are much more people in the developed society who are much more experienced than you, have much more at their disposal than you. You are at a greater disadvantage because you're an alien, you're not part of their government's plan. The only advantage you have there is favourable policies.
I recalled back then when I dropped my resignation letter at my parents firm because I wanted to start achieving my dream of going into the building construction industry. They were shocked and offended. But today, I am doing better than they expected.

To you youth corpers, I learnt you guys are now forced to learn Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurial Development (SAED) think well, don't underestimate that scheme use that NYSC/SAED scheme to your benefit. Get to know more people, acquire as much skills as you can, save some cash, start up something when you're done. Be your employer start from somewhere.

To you Engineers, architects, builders, teachers, scientists, etc wake up stop dreaming and wasting time thinking about working in shell, instead think about how to make a name for your self, carve a niche and people would rush come find you. Let Dangote, MRS oil, mittal steel co pvt., microsoft, globacom, etc be an inspiration for you to break sail and don't let anything, anyone kill your dream. If you can dream it, you can be it.

I just had to write this to encourage people to achieve something.
Thanks boss. This is what I tried letting my classmates know but most times, it looks like I'm talking bunkum.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
Suley316:

You should be in your late 20s or early 30s yet you don't behave like one undecided

If you want to defend your 1.2 mill do so but you don't to be aggressive smiley
it could be annoying when peeps who barely know what it is to just make those kind of comments.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Elxandre(m): 1:03pm On Oct 24, 2014
Adiwana:
Op,you're right but who no want better life..my big couz who studied mech.eng. Works in schulmberg in Kenya..last he was working in port,anoder london,anoder Netherland,anoder Dubia&so on..he changes cars like clothes..he recently refused to wed in my villa,cos he has rich frends in port who go gve him smth,i hav never seen him in my life time enter bus&many more is what hes life has been since he entered oil/gas sector&you want me to finsh my education&come dey invent wat?thats wat Nigeria is for you
Become a credible inventor, and you earn what he has been gathering up all these years in a shorter while if you are lucky.

Inventing isn't for the meek hearted though, as the rewards may tarry, but will be worth it when they come through.

There is no wrong in getting a job initially though, as you need money to start off in life, especially if you are from a not too rich family.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 24, 2014
iCool:

lool, I understand your anger but it wasn't necessary.

I just viewed the post from the angle of a Drilling engineer, only the high blood pressure associated with delivering a well successfully warrants him requesting for a 5m monthly salary.
only if some peeps understand what a blow out can cause a company or a nation.... imagine a single mistake on the nlng plant at bonny ... that whole community is gone.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by saintneo(m): 1:06pm On Oct 24, 2014
feraz

Nice topic you've got here but it will be good of you to understand that for an Engineer to go Entrepreneurial he/she needs money.

Our oil and gas industry is filled with 'Engineers' that hardly have dreams of developing the industry or dreams to branch-out into other developments involving engineering; their dream only ends with earning the salary and spending it on chics and beer-palour. The engineers with dreams are hardly allowed into position of relevance.

It is now left for the idealist-engineer to make himself/herself relevant. How? By generating ideas! By learning new skills such as sales and financial management. By going out there in the colosium to fight the fight of freedom.

Nigeria is not easy for the ones without godfathers.

Ideas rule the world, in God we trust........

5 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 24, 2014
naijababe:

Trust me sweetheart, leadership is everything. Human beings are essentially like sheep, we all like to think we are different but all we do is follow the herd. Hitler, Franklin, Bello, Awolowo, Ojukwu, Babangida, Steve Jobs..........all leaders who changed the fortune of millions.

There can only be bad follower-ship if good leadership is present, in the latter's absence, there is only follower-ship.
leadership is key .. but Nigerians see leadership positions in a wrong way ... a leader is never successful without good followers ... thats why the success of any team is not just about the leader but also its members ... why do you think fashola is advocating lagosians to think right and always act right ... we need such people who see government as a team work.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
Feraz:
Thank you oh!
1. The amount there is just an assumption and not a fact.
2. That is the mentality some undergraduates have.
3. I appealed and said 'if there's anything I am ignorant about in the above write-up, please, do correct me as I am still acquiring knowledge'.
it is not an assumption , there are engineers that net more than 5 mil per month , entry level in some companies net close to 8 mil per annum. some people may loose their life on platforms if proper measures are not taken .... they do some real work that involves sound brain in that industry.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Khalifa04: 1:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
Pavore9:
Hmm.any engineering student who dreams sitting in an office doing nothing most of the time awaiting his salary alert is a waste of human resource where there are so much to achieve as their simple ideas & innovations can bring change to communities!
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Khalifa04: 1:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
Pavore9:
Hmm.any engineering student who dreams sitting in an office doing nothing most of the time awaiting his salary alert is a waste of human resource where there are so much to achieve as their simple ideas & innovations can bring change to communities!
you garrit
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Adiwana: 1:19pm On Oct 24, 2014
Elxandre:

Become a credible inventor, and you earn what he has been gathering up all these years in a shorter while if you are lucky.

Inventing isn't for the meek hearted though, as the rewards may tarry, but will be worth it when they come through.

There is no wrong in getting a job initially though, as you need money to start off in life, especially if you are from a not too rich family.
Dude,i understnd& as a Nigerian i love monopoly..lets look at the manufaturers of Zmapp..they can charge countries Millions of dollars jux b/c they invented ebola drug...the main point was that US govt. Sponsored their idea of invnting the vaccine..my uncle told me mother that US govt. Pay the inventor of gun's family a ertain amt jux for inventing Gun... I wouldnt go into Oil&Gas if i invent smth that could make the world a better place&fetch me double the amouth @Oil&Gas
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Feraz(m): 1:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
freshjayy:
First the regulatory bodies of engineering in Nigeria is a waste especially the so called NSE that does not know more dan collecting money from Nigerians and forgetting why they were created in the first place.
Secondly am an engineer in the power sector and I must say government no try, no motivation, no training, poor salary. I schooled in the UK and I know how very attractive the Power jobs are. The government is only paying attention to oil and one day that oil go finish and we would see what next.
We need a government for the future that can harness the potentials of very bright Nigerians not dem PDP that are enriching demselves
If you know how angry I am with this body eh. . .most times, I get an email from them to attend a seminar where I am required to pay #100, 000 - #150, 000 and you wonder, as a student, where am I supposed to get that kind of money from? Looking up their website alone, you will shake your head in pity.

Then again, it is not about PDP as many successive governments in Nigeria have ignored so many sectors. Can we leave anything that will bring a certain people into this thread away?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by donodion(m): 1:38pm On Oct 24, 2014
Feraz:
It is a well-known fact that when the average Nigerian undergraduate studying Engineering is asked what path of career to choose from after leaving school, the person echoes “Oil/gas”. When you ask the person the reason for choosing that path, they have various reasons majorly being the pay for entry level is very attractive and other reasons like “the stress in the oil/gas industries is not much compared to other professions. Imagine sitting in the office most times doing nothing and at the end of the month, your phone rings and you see alert of N1.2m. I mean, who wouldn’t want to live the good life? Hahaha!!!” and it gets you wondering what good life? Is it a life where you provide your own water supply, your own security, your own electricity etc.? Is that what one terms a good life?

From the above, one wonders if the only branch of Engineering being studied in Nigeria is Petroleum Engineering. In my varsity, there are various branches which include – Mechanical, Electrical/Electronics, Civil, Chemical, Computer, Petroleum and Production Engineering. The same can be said of other universities in Nigeria as some offer other branches of Engineering in addition to the above. If various branches of Engineering is being offered, then why the oil/gas mentality? We have so focused in the oil/gas industries thereby leaving other branches to go comatose.

According to Wikipedia, Engineering is defined thus “Engineering (from Latin ingenium, meaning "cleverness" and ingeniare, meaning "to contrive, devise"wink is the application of scientific, economic, social, and practical knowledge in order to invent, design, build, maintain, and improve structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes”. From the above definition, it is seen that Engineering goes beyond the oil/gas industries.

Here is an excerpt from Greatman5’s post and I quote – He also goes ahead to say (Apologies to my friends in the Medical fields. I mean no disrespect to your noble profession).

Looking at Mechanical Engineering for example as that is my field, there are fields to specialize in like Robotics, Aerospace, Aeronautics, Energy, Automobile, Automotive, Marine etc. but you wonder why we do not have so many firms that focus on the above listed. Just recently, India joined the leagues of nations that have sent space probes to Mars and you wonder, where are the Mechanical Engineers in Nigeria? This same country also make various machines and export to nations and it was not long they started doing all these. USA has the likes of NASA, Boeing and other Engineering firms not related to the oil/gas industry. Japan the same with Toyota, Nissan, Kawasaki Heavy Industries etc. What about South Korea? We use their product Hyundai and they also design and build ships for nations. These are just few examples and they all have one thing in common, they are not related to the oil/gas industries. What crime is it if we as Mechanical Engineers come together and create our technology to match our climate while designing also, for other nations?

We may cite Innoson, ANAMCO and other firms the government has allowed to set up industries in Nigeria as examples but is that enough? We are well aware of the power issues we face as a nation. Energy development is still in its infancy stage in the country so why must we kill ourselves looking for a career in the oil/gas industry? Energy is the second most lucrative industry in the world after oil/gas so whatever happened to advancing this sector? This is time for us to come together and develop our power sector instead of relying on others to do so for us. We have the resources to push for constant power supply and other means of using energy but why is it not so? What of the ergonomics aspect of Engineering? Or do we think the way we seat and relax aren’t thought about? The chairs we use in the office, who do we think design them?

How about having firms in Nigeria that can rival that of Lockheed Martins, Rolls-Royce and co? Producing just engines to power automobiles (planes, cars, trains etc.) could employ nothing less than 10, 000. If opportunities abound in these, why do we rush for the oil/gas industries? Is it wrong to have a stake in the International Space Station? We always want to work in the oil/gas industry forgetting that some of the equipment needed there is designed and manufactured by the Mechanical Engineers. Just some days ago, we heard of the Dockwise Blue Marlin and opened our mouths in awe. Was that vessel not built by Engineers who saw a need for improving the transportation of water bodies instead of wanting to work in the oil/gas industry?

We should also not forget the bio-medical field where equipment like Magnetic Resonance Imaging - MRI, CT, Ultrasound machine, X-ray machine, Anesthetic machine etc. are designed to specifications, taking into consideration the materials to be used for the above since it deals with life which are all manufactured by the different branches of Engineering (components like the controls, the nuts, bolts, gears, shafts, the programming aspect of it, the micro-controllers to be embedded etc.)

Coming down to other fields like Elect/Elect, Computer and others, is it a crime if Nigeria is known to produce the best chips, processors and fiber optics cables in the world? When are we going to have our own Silicon Valley? What about having a large conglomerate like Schneider? What about aspiring to be like Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, Acer etc.? We all use their phone – Samsung, even argue about how it is better than Nokia and we are yet to make one. I have a friend, my set mate who is already thinking of setting up her own electronics firm and believe me, with dedication to it, she’s going to be big.

The Civil Engineering in Nigeria is one field I must commend as they have tried as can be seen in the various constructions they are involved in but it still not enough. I believe we can still take this branch of Engineering higher by designing and constructing buildings that will make the world wow at our structures.

There was a topic I created about students’ inventions and check all; none has to do with oil/gas. What they all invented is something the world will come to later appreciate; inventions like 3D nail polish, the odorless toilet, the spidey suit, the gel that stops blood flow, the nail polish that tells if your drink is spiked etc. and they are all undergraduates.

Most times, we tend to insult our brothers across the Niger River but most are self-employed and not roaming the streets with this oil/gas mentality making things that we need. Things ranging from clothes to shoes to spare parts (we say it is substandard but have we ever thought of getting into this business and forming a firm while raising production to international standards instead of castigating them? I am not encouraging substandard products by the way).

And do not get me started with the supposed Engineering bodies – COREN and NSE of which I honestly do not see their functions in Nigeria except to depend on government handout and bribe while forgetting their primary function which is to advance Engineering in Nigeria. I have not seen or heard of any event being sponsored by them to aid students’ interest in the field of Engineering. Check the contents of both websites and tell me what you think. Check the contents of the Energy Dept. of Nigeria. No news on innovation except the never-ending promises of the government.

If we really must advance Engineering in Nigeria, we need to do away with the mentality of working only in the oil/gas industry and focus on other aspects of Engineering that will help us solve the numerous problems we as a nation have; which will put us in the developed nations of the world while according us the respect we deserve and this in turn will make our African brothers pick up and realize their potentials reducing wars and dependency on aids being offered us by nations.

N.B: Apologies for any typos here as this was written under the influence of garri and egusi soup. Also, for anything I am ignorant about in the above write-up, please, do correct me as I am still acquiring knowledge. Then again, I am not generalizing in the above write-up neither am I saying one should not work in the oil/gas sector because every branch of Engineering is needed in the sector. Thank you.

Sagamite...thanks for sharing with me...I read till thr last full stop and could only wish this piece gets to the governing body concern.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by yemstok(m): 1:40pm On Oct 24, 2014
Feraz:
The write-up was not aimed at discouraging people from working in the O & G sector or pursuing a career there, but to enlighten most of us of the opportunities we have left to waste away in the other fields of Engineering.

And I didn't say the o.p's thread was aimed at discouraging people.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Adiwana: 1:49pm On Oct 24, 2014
Anybody that says oil&gas eng. Sit in office&earn fat salaries is crazy..its jux like saying that b/c doctors&nurses earn fat salaries they sit in office.then until you visit hospitals or u having Sm1 related to u being 1,u would see that they stand up 5hrs without sitting down working.they forsake sleeps for midnight calls,forsake food jux to save sm1s life,running to&fro during emergencies..doctors&Nurses spend countless hours in theaters operating.imagen removing the spinal cord 1 by 1 jux to work on a particular problem&after,start fixing them all 1 by 1.its tedious&it worths the money they are being paid..jux b/c other sectors of engineering are not paying well as oil&gas doesnt mean those there are Lazy

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by donodion(m): 1:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
ndcide:
@op,

you should know that the oil and gas sector seem to be the only truly functioning engineering sector. close to it, is IT and telecom. the power sector has not woken up as it should. We know the government is trying to do something in the power and automotive sectors hopefully things will change.

In career, there must be rewards. I mean financial rewards. remove the financial reward in oil and gas and it'll start crawling. in career people experience burnouts; the finance keeps you going. Money motivates. Our systems looks down on engineering jobs. how many engineers really earn well. In my organization, we have lots of incompetent folks in the office doing nothing, but earn better than the engineers. some are giving official cars yet the engineer who do the core jobs are not well compensated. Again, money is a motivator. Remove the money in politics and see people uninterested.

put money in a sector and tell me if it wouldn't do well with committed individuals. I've seen a Germany trained Nigerian engineer going into buying and supplies. He needs to pay his bills. You can't pay HR officer 120k and pay and engineer 60k in what supposed to be an engineering organization.

guy think am na......

I'd rather go into the oil and gas. That's the sector that values engineers.

You can't be talking of technology advancement when the careers is not rewarding financially.

Put money in palm wine tapping, and that will be the biggest profession in the world, with daily research and innovations in it.

Precisely.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by donodion(m): 2:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
naijareferee:
Feraz... Nice Topic

But i have a few questions for you

1. |Did you finish from a school of technology or just a conventional engineering school?
2. If u did, have you ever taken time to go to the workshop archives of your school
3. what did you design or invent as your final year project
4. Do you think it is lack of innovation that push people into oil and gas
5. For the time you spent in school, has a government ever paid attention to your school final projects

I know your write up is deep and consciously you want to make a difference... But have you asked yourself what it takes to make a difference. The INNOSON you sited as example, Are u aware of the economic hardship he went through, during Obasanjos tenure. Do you know how long ago he would have started his plant. Do you know the hardship people who wants to make a difference (like those you mentioned across the Niger) go through before they become self employed and sustained.
In fact, do you know how much is budgeted for research and whose pocket it ends up in NIGERIA, in comparison to India.

The enabling environment has to be created, If u have to create one....then you must lean the ropes

N.B. A faculty mate created a fridge and an oven combo....they work inter-changeably using the just one power source, today it lies in the store of my schools workshop.

And you said it as it is.

Question...who is to create the enabling envirinment? The masses with little or no income or the government with all the resources at their disposal?
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by donodion(m): 2:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
where is coogar...I am sure hes got something worthwhile to contribute and enlighten.us. I do appreciate him sharing ideas and experience as well.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Beetwaise(m): 3:01pm On Oct 24, 2014
Op,you have spoken well. This is quite a complicated case because almost all professional fields are affected here; For instance,during my undergraduate days as a geologist in the tertiary institution,along the line I observed that about 97% of my colleagues had a dire interest in the PETROLEUM/OIL sector ignoring other aspects of the course like solid mineral mining, petrology, hydrology, seismology, mineralogy etc even environmental geology wasn't really recognized despite the derelict nature of our environs.

This is simply because of the inability of our so called leaders to establish an enabling environment for various professions diverting every attention to the oil and gas sector which youths see as an avenue to make quick cash leaving our nation to develop at a snail-pace.

It's disheartening but with time even other noble professionals like doctors,lawyers, architects and so on will like to work in these glorified oil industries which have eaten the inventive,creative and innovational minds of the good heads in our country.

.....I AM BEETWAISE...still classic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by haryourdayG(m): 3:20pm On Oct 24, 2014
It's sad some set of peeps are complaining this write up is long. It's bad our reading culture has declined a lot. @op,nice piece...Latest Civil Engineering graduate!!!

5 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 24, 2014
majekdom2:
leadership is key .. but Nigerians see leadership positions in a wrong way ... a leader is never successful without good followers ... thats why the success of any team is not just about the leader but also its members ... why do you think fashola is advocating lagosians to think right and always act right ... we need such people who see government as a team work.

We don't have true leaders in Nigeria now, we only have charlatans and egomaniac and power drunk ar5eh0les angry sad
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
naijababe:

We don't have true leaders in Nigeria now, we only have charlatans and egomaniac and power drunk ar5eh0les angry sad
the average Nigerian is power drunk. Abi no b nairaland dem give Sexkillz mod(ordinary mod o) and he became a tyrant.

When an arguement ensue from a corner, you will here the average Nigerian say, "do you know who I am? Or I will show you I am."

Go to hospitals, schools and see how people respond to their fellow human just because they seek assistance to process one or two things.

It's the Nigerian DNA.

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by mbz101(m): 4:09pm On Oct 24, 2014
Am. Sorry @ pple like johnooo may not create room for development same as those will called our leaders ..it's all abt red made
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
nwanna89:
The major reason we cannot develop those industries in nigeria is funding. A lot of nigerians have bright ideas, but our banks and our govt never funds them. Research in universities are not funded properly either
That's why I believe the Nigerian economy will only truly "take off" when interest rates are in the single digits. This would free up more funds for the creation of more businesses, and which would in turn, create more jobs.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Truckpusher(m): 4:49pm On Oct 24, 2014
Op is a deluded fellow for thinking that Engineers in the Oil and Gas industry just sits in their offices doing nothing while the alerts keep coming.

The Oil and Gas Engineering jobs is a daunting task and requires you to be on top of your game every now and then as you would be working across the globe sometimes coming into contact and competing with people of different Nationalities and expertise and again the stress of working for an Oil and Gas major outfit is not for the faint hearted because for every kobo you get from them you probably worked your asss off to earn it.

When next you want to make your assertion, you need to do your home work properly before misleading the people in a public forum.

Nice write up though,but your insinuation about the Engineers in the oil and gas industry is the fallacy of the century.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Truckpusher(m): 4:53pm On Oct 24, 2014
CFCfan:

That's why I believe the Nigerian economy will only truly "take off" when interest rates are in the single digits. This would free up more funds for the creation of more businesses, and which would in turn, create more jobs.
The Government (Politicians) will never make policies that will reduce the interest rate to the single digits because they own the banks and wouldn't want too much money in the hands of the people.

If you have too much money in the hands of the people, the standard of living will improve for the masses so will other sector of the economy including education and once you have at least 80% of your population properly educated they'll begin to ask questions and demand for accountability which will give rise to a strong middle class with a voice and this is one thing that the criminal elites that are super rich do not want to see it happen.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Olaone1: 5:13pm On Oct 24, 2014
naijababe:

Selling off the power sector is a good thing, unless we are truly fu-cked it should make a tremendous difference soon enough. In fact, the less in the hand of the government the better
Hmm. Maybe but not if bought up by ex-generals who know eff-all about it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Computer Science: Where Can I Work? / 6 Exceptional Nigerians Who Work At Apple / NIIT: Are They Worth It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.