Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,706 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. (61714 Views)

Woman With Baby Sits In The Middle Of Road Around Lagos Government House / Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name / Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. by LEERICIST(m): 4:18am On Oct 16, 2014
[b]I used to have problems filling out forms because I didn't know the difference between first, middle and last name. For those having the same problem, this is for you.

Last name is father's family name or surname. John
David Smith: Smith is Father's name. Father
was, say Charles Smith. In business
relationships, he would be called Mr. Smith.
His wife would call him Charles.

First name is given name, what your
Mother or sister may call you (NOT a
nickname, tho). John David Smith: First
name John.

Middle name is second given name, if any.
John David Smith: David is middle name.
Your Mom might use it when she is REALLY
angry at you: JOHN DAVID, you get over
here to me, RIGHT NOW! lol
Ordinarily not used.

I was raised Roman Catholic, and have FOUR
names! First name. Middle name.
Confirmation Name. Last name. :-))
Usually middle names are not used, unless
necessary to differentiate between two
people with same name: John D. (for David)
Smith vs John H. (for Henry) Smith, if both
in the same class in school, or on the same
list.
Hope this helps.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. by HonourablePomk: 12:30pm On Oct 16, 2014
Nice one
Re: The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. by Abiezer: 1:27pm On Nov 04, 2016
Awesome Explanation but is it bad or awkward to give your child a Compound Surname. I want to name my son James as his first and Seyi as Middle, my name is Mark Thomas can I name my son James Seyi Mark-Thomas or its wrong
Re: The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. by Richy4(m): 2:08pm On Nov 04, 2016
Growing up, we were used to Surname, Name and middle/other names...

That sh!t could be really annoying those days especially in Western union when you wanna send money home... The person at the teller will be like sir according to your passport, your first name is .... and your last name is .....

I will be like.... I am still the same person... Ok do what you feel is right...
Re: The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. by pearlforlady(f): 3:55pm On Nov 04, 2016
so insightful.
Re: The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. by lexxyrule(m): 3:31pm On Apr 02, 2017
In western countries, your first name is your surname ND your last name is your given name

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See The GUTS Of My Wife / Man Batters Wife Over Sex For More Children / Woman Carries Her Child Inside Her Shorts And Got People Talking (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.