Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:04 PM

My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn (16965 Views)

Help With My Nissan Skyline 2001 - Hardstarting / Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? / Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by tkovie2002(m): 9:07am On Oct 16, 2014
I bought a 2004 Nissan murano SE awd last month and I've been driving it. I drove the car this morning and parked it. Only for me to try to move the car again, my key gives me access into the car but when I try turning on the ignition, it won't even move, its just stuck in the first position and I can't get it to start.

Please I need all your best advice because I'm blocking someone in the parking lot and I don't want any embarrassment when the person has to leave.

Thanks
Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by chillex8(m): 9:45am On Oct 16, 2014
Does your Key turn to IGNITION ON position?

Do that and get hands to push your vehicle out of obstruction...

1 Like

Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 16, 2014
I think you may have locked your steering wheel. The key won't turn if your steering wheel is locked.

Try putting turning pressure on the wheel and then turn the key to release the lock.
Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by nissparts(m): 10:11am On Oct 16, 2014
Put the smart key into the slot and after a few mins try to start at the same time move the steering wheel.
Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by tkovie2002(m): 10:13am On Oct 16, 2014
The steering wheel wasn't locked, I tried tilting the wheel a bit hoping it will help turn the ignition, that was when it locked.

The ignition doesn't turn at all to any position, I can only put in the key and remove it.
Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by nurey(m): 10:31am On Oct 16, 2014
Your steering wheel is locked. Vigorously jack your steering trying to turn it left and right at the same time trying to turn the ignition key only when the wheel is free will the key turn.
Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by oseo1(m): 1:57pm On Oct 16, 2014
It's possible that the cylinder/tumbler of your ignition has lost its configuration or worn down. You can get a panel beater to remove it and reset it to your key.

In the mean time you can stick your key into the shift lock release (a small hole located close to your gear stick, above the letters ie p,r,n,....) and shift it from Park to neutral and push the car out of the way till you can get it to start.

Where are you located??
Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by lonelydora: 11:31pm On Oct 16, 2014
oseo1:
It's possible that the cylinder/tumbler of your ignition has lost its configuration or worn down. You can get a panel beater to remove it and reset it to your key.
In the mean time you can stick your key into the shift lock release (a small hole located close to your gear stick, above the letters ie p,r,n,....) and shift it from Park to neutral and push the car out of the way till you can get it to start.
Where are you located??

Exactly. The ignition tumbler has lost configuration. Nigerian mechanics call it "jumping teeth" or the "key don jump teeth". Try and remove the car with suggestions above and call a grounded panel beater to reset it.
Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by nissparts(m): 8:24am On Oct 17, 2014
lonelydora:

Exactly. The ignition tumbler has lost configuration. Nigerian mechanics call it "jumping teeth" or the "key don jump teeth". Try and remove the car with suggestions above and call a grounded panel beater to reset it.

Excuse me, FYI the murano uses a smart key and not the regular ignition tumbler.
Re: My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn by oseo1(m): 6:49pm On Oct 17, 2014
nissparts:

Excuse me, FYI the murano uses a smart key and not the regular ignition tumbler.

It still has the regular tumbler. Yes it's a smart key so you cannot just cut a key and expect it to work, however he doesn't need a new key he has his key so they just have to reset the tumbler.

(1) (Reply)

Infiniti Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary With Edition 30 Models / Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles / Its A/C Season Again, Lets Share Problems And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.