Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? (1951 Views)

"Ese Should Abort Her Pregnancy" - Nigerians / He Forced Me To Abort 5 Pregnacy for "His Personal Sanctification"..... Wife / Would You Abort? Advice Someone To Abort? Is Abortion Murder? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by simplyOJ(m): 1:26pm On Oct 16, 2014
What is a moment's joy worth? Lagbaja and Oglikwe don't care. They disliked their son Akpos's mischievous eagerness to chase his sister around the house, they say the truth is, they wish they had aborted Akpos.

"I didn't want a baby with disabilities," Lagbaja was heard talking to some friends. "I was thinking, 'Is he going to be in a wheelchair? Am I going to lose my job and be a stay-in parent?' It wasn't what I wanted for myself at the time."

"We made it clear to the doctors that we didn't want a child who wasn't going to be able to ride a bike and do things that normal children do,"

Without question, this child has been through too much: "Born with severe micrognathia, a condition that causes an undersized jaw and acute breathing difficulties, Akpos needs round-the-clock care," according to the doctors.

No child deserves that.

And no child deserves to live with parents who wish they had killed him before he was born.

Their real names have been replaced to protect their identities. Things do happen and certain other things are possibly beyond us; but faced with the reality of a confirmed report from a doctor that the child you are carrying is deformed, will you opt for an abortion?
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Dynasty92: 1:39pm On Oct 16, 2014
Dat one hard sha..buh it depends on d disability tho
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by cephaswizzy(m): 1:55pm On Oct 16, 2014
All things are possible with God.
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by cephaswizzy(m): 1:57pm On Oct 16, 2014
I will seriously pray to the creator that has the supernatural powers to give life. The KING of kings.
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by omicron(m): 2:07pm On Oct 16, 2014
No, it is not ethical aborting fetuses with congenital anomalies or conditions that may cause functional impairments such as mental retardation. Like most questions of ethics, it is a tough call.

Personally, I believe life begins at fertilization, and this is the principle upon which I base my reasoning. As such, I believe Induced abortions for such purposes as 'preventing painful and sub-normal lives' are a grave disrespect of the human life.

Fetuses that will live should be allowed to live. It is not for us to determine who will live and who will not live.
Ok, who will determine the dividing line between what constitutes a 'serious' congenital anomaly or 'impairment'....one that should require abortion?

Will the same conditions that will strike you as a 'serious anomaly', strike the other person the same way? Or do we just abort any fetus we personnally feel will not give us our desired quality of life?

Consider that sometimes we have babies who develop cerebral palsy with severe mental retardation, after sucessful pregnancies and intrauterine development, following birth trauma, birth asphyxia, neonatal infections and so on. Do we 'abort' or 'kill' such babies afterall ....as they are going to 'cause and experience pain', maybe as much as babies who developed their abnormalities congenitally?

Again, do we put our family members to death because they developed a disorder, or abnormality, in adult life, that have left them mostly dependent, thereby living in pains and causing others pain too.

Or is the intrauterine fetus just easier to do away with?
While many congenital anonalies may happen spontaneously and idiopathically , many of them yet are caused directly or indirectly by the mother's behavioural practices while pregnant. Have we considered that too?

These are difficult questions, but anyone who believes that we do not have a right or authority to take ANY HUMAN life will not support *** INDUCED abortion, *** for such reasons.

Or do you not believe that LIFE starts at fertilization? Or that they are Humans?

2 Likes

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by simplyOJ(m): 2:09pm On Oct 16, 2014
Remember Nick Vujicic? He was born 4 December 1982. He is an Australian Christian evangelist and motivational speaker born with tetra-amelia syndrome, a rare disorder characterised by the absence of all four limbs. As a child, he struggled mentally and emotionally as well as physically, but eventually came to terms with his disability and, at the age of seventeen, started his own non-profit organisation, Life Without Limbs. Vujicic presents motivational speeches worldwide which focus on life with a disability, hope and finding meaning in life. He also speaks about his belief that God can use any willing heart to do his work and that God is big enough to overcome any disability.

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
No one prays for this, but in the event it happens, and its an abnormality that could render him almost "useless" in life. . . I will honestly abort. I wouldn't want to bring a child into this world to suffer. It will break my heart forever to see him/her suffer that much.

Moreover, who says that abnormality won't kill him some years after he's born? After caring for him, growing emotionally attached to him and even losing one's sanity and job cos of the constant care needed, he still may die.

9 Likes

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by aderonila18: 3:55pm On Oct 16, 2014
It depends on the level of disability , some people will be quick to say no but just pray you are never faced with that tough decision. Imagine a child that you know will be dependent on you for life, what happens after you pass on, a child with very little brain activity who will have to be fed, wear pampers and such all his/her life.....
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 16, 2014
In a case like this i will abort,b'cos probability that the child will live long is zero(0),beside most deformed pregnancy get aborted,either by miscarriage or stillbirth.

1 Like

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 16, 2014
Of course, I don't need to think about it twice. It's gonna be hard after all you've been through but it's the right thing to do. Most of them wish they weren't born.

2 Likes

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 16, 2014
crystalflakes:
Of course, I don't need to think about it twice. It's gonna be hard after all you've been through but it's the right thing to do. Most of them wish they weren't born.

Do you think Oscar Pistorius wished he was never born because he is disabled ?

1 Like

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 16, 2014
TheCongo:

. I didn't say all, I said most of them and u would agree with me that majority are found on the streets begging for help.
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 16, 2014
crystalflakes:
. I didn't say all, I said most of them and u would agree with me that majority are found on the streets begging for help.

A person may be physically disable but hold outstanding mental ability. That is why I don't believe in aborting a fetus just because of some physical disability.
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by beeevan: 11:53pm On Oct 16, 2014
I will with immediate effect.

1 Like

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 6:26am On Oct 17, 2014
TheCongo:

Like I said, it depends on the nature of the disability. Oscar's own hasn't made him dependent on anyone all his life.

My mum's colleague has a daughter who is about 19years old now. She has not been able to sit since she was born. All she does is lay flat on the bed. The mum baths, feeds, cloths and takes care of her on that bed since she was born and that will continue till God calls one of them.

I will rather be without a child than put one through that or go through that myself. My opinion though.

2 Likes

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 17, 2014
Yes! With immediate effect. What's the point of bringing a child into the world to suffer?Infact , what's the point of causing so much hardship for all stakeholders?

1 Like

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by cococandy(f): 8:06am On Oct 17, 2014
Phema:
No one prays for this, but in the event it happens, and its an abnormality that could render him almost "useless" in life. . . I will honestly abort. I wouldn't want to bring a child into this world to suffer. It will break my heart forever to see him/her suffer that much.

Moreover, who says that abnormality won't kill him some years after he's born? After caring for him, growing emotionally attached to him and even losing one's sanity and job cos of the constant care needed, he still may die.
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
simplyOJ:
What is a moment's joy worth? Lagbaja and Oglikwe don't care. They disliked their son Akpos's mischievous eagerness to chase his sister around the house, they say the truth is, they wish they had aborted Akpos.

"I didn't want a baby with disabilities," Lagbaja was heard talking to some friends. "I was thinking, 'Is he going to be in a wheelchair? Am I going to lose my job and be a stay-in parent?' It wasn't what I wanted for myself at the time."

"We made it clear to the doctors that we didn't want a child who wasn't going to be able to ride a bike and do things that normal children do,"

Without question, this child has been through too much: "Born with severe micrognathia, a condition that causes an undersized jaw and acute breathing difficulties, Akpos needs round-the-clock care," according to the doctors.

No child deserves that.

And no child deserves to live with parents who wish they had killed him before he was born.

Their real names have been replaced to protect their identities. Things do happen and certain other things are possibly beyond us; but faced with the reality of a confirmed report from a doctor that the child you are carrying is deformed, will you opt for an abortion?

God is fair. Whenever someone is disabled, God will provide him with some other abilities that will help the person survive.

1 Like

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 26, 2014
Ever listened to a barren woman's prayer

1 Like

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 26, 2014
Odilafta:
Ever listened to a barren woman's prayer

That is a food of thought for this topic

2 Likes

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by beeevan: 8:52pm On Oct 26, 2014
Double post
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by EfemenaXY: 7:55am On Oct 27, 2014
Depends on the level of deformity.

Sometimes, hard decisions have to be made which involves one having to be cruel to be kind. It's all to easy to say "I'll keep it, no matter what", but the reality of what it involves to do this plus the toll it takes on the parent(s) paints a completely different picture.

Below is a excerpt from the story of a mother who smothered to death her 3 disabled children:

A mother who faced a murder charge after suffocating her three disabled children “to end their suffering” before trying to kill herself has had a plea of manslaughter by diminished responsibility accepted.

Tania Clarence, 42, the wife of an investment banker living in south-west London, will not now face trial and is due to be sentenced next month when she is likely to face a hospital order.

Clarence, a mother-of-four, left three notes before allegedly smothering her four-year-old daughter, Olivia, and twin sons Ben and Max, aged three, while her husband, Gary, 43, was overseas. All three children had spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) type 2, a life-limiting progressive disease which can cause fatal respiratory problems.

Clarence then tried to kill herself but was found by the family’s nanny and a A mother who faced a murder charge after suffocating her three disabled children “to end their suffering” before trying to kill herself has had a plea of manslaughter by diminished responsibility accepted.

Tania Clarence, 42, the wife of an investment banker living in south-west London, will not now face trial and is due to be sentenced next month when she is likely to face a hospital order.

Clarence, a mother-of-four, left three notes before allegedly smothering her four-year-old daughter, Olivia, and twin sons Ben and Max, aged three, while her husband, Gary, 43, was overseas. All three children had spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) type 2, a life-limiting progressive disease which can cause fatal respiratory problems.

Clarence then tried to kill herself but was found by the family’s nanny and a neighbour...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/13/no-murder-trial-mother-suffocated-disabled-children-tania-clarence

Was she a bad mother for doing this? But most importantly, if given the chance to turn back the hands of time, would she - knowing what she knows now - have still gone ahead to have them or would she have terminated the pregnancies right from the onset?

Food for thought.

2 Likes

Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Kanwulia: 10:57am On Oct 27, 2014
Till then! kiss
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Janet101(f): 1:38pm On Oct 27, 2014
Hmm.... May God help us it's nt easy o but abortion at d early stage it's better
Re: It's Confirmed The Child You're Carrying Is Deformed; Will You Abort? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 27, 2014
God will never send anyone on this world empty handed. Regardless of a person disability, He will always supply a provision.

(1) (Reply)

Strictly For Matured Minds / Xenophobia:pictures That Will Change Your Heart / Cockold: Unknowingly Raising Kids That Aren’t Biologically Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.