Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc (1750 Views)

Studies Show That Black People Are Genetically Programmed To Be Slaves! / WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? / How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by black247: 2:10pm On Oct 16, 2014
@bigfrancis21 @fulaman198 @camnewton4pres @tunetokheyno @drnoel @victor1464 @christopher123 @odumchi @odilafta @teechudley @ancientjerk @africanapple @andreuweh @atlwireles @igbo2011 @muafrika @kingston277 and ALL.

QUESTION: Do any of you recall your family telling you about some of your family being taken as slaves in foreign land?

My uncle said that the slaves families were all killed in Africa or starved and that very few of them had family left here...so that is why none of us searched for relatives.

Is this true?

BACKGROUND IN CASE ANYONE CARES: grin

I need you guys help, I am in the middle of a debate. I have had this debate for two weeks, I have neglected my other threads arguing with my uncle. THANK YOU FOR ANY RESPONSES. @fulaman198 I think this could bridge the gap in the 1st diaspora. Can you place this on the front page?

I am trying to tag everyone I follow or has very good insight but I cant remember them all: @morpheus24 @hotep @stoical @ezeuche @ezeagu @spectroscopic
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by itstpia1: 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2014
Should I bother or not?
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by black247: 2:52pm On Oct 16, 2014
itstpia1:
Should I bother or not?

Well I guess not if you dont want to know. Some say that we were like: meh, oh well..those were the slaves. I am about African and black unity, it might be painful (resentment, bitterness, shared common ignorance) - but if our unity can overthrow western supremacy, I think my research is no longer in vain!

Hope you understand.
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 16, 2014
black247:
@bigfrancis21 @fulaman198 @camnewton4pres @tunetokheyno @drnoel @victor1464 @christopher123 @odumchi @odilafta @teechudley @ancientjerk @africanapple @andreuweh @atlwireles @igbo2011 @muafrika @kingston277 and ALL.

QUESTION: Do any of you recall your family telling you about some of your family being taken as slaves in foreign land?

My uncle said that the slaves families were all killed in Africa or starved and that very few of them had family left here...so that is why none of us searched for relatives.

Is this true?

I need you guys help, I am in the middle of a debate. I have had this debate for two weeks, I have neglected my other threads arguing with my uncle. THANK YOU FOR ANY RESPONSES. @fulaman198 I think this could bridge the gap in the 1st diaspora. Can you place this on the front page?

I am trying to tag everyone I follow or has very good insight but I cant remember them all: @morpheus24 @hotep @stoical @ezeuche @ezeagu @spectroscopic

This your question wear raincoat o lipsrsealed
lemme ask the ancestors

1 Like

Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by itstpia1: 8:05pm On Oct 16, 2014
black247:

Well I guess not if you dont want to know. Some say that we were like: meh, oh well..those were the slaves. I am about African and black unity, it might be painful (resentment, bitterness, shared common ignorance) - but if our unity can overthrow western supremacy, I think my research is no longer in vain!

Hope you understand.

I meant should I bother posting on the thread when you have google.
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by black247: 8:16pm On Oct 16, 2014
itstpia1:

I meant should I bother posting on the thread when you have google.

Google vs your PERSONAL experiences?

Interesting. Well this seems like too tough of a task for you.

FOR FUTURE READERS:

My question in the title was in other words: HAVE YOU PERSONALLY HEARD OF YOUR RELATIVES BEING TAKEN AS SLAVES?

I thought that was clear in the title.
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by christopher123(m): 8:32pm On Oct 16, 2014
Odilafta:

This your question wear raincoat o lipsrsealed
lemme ask the ancestors
I

The. Answer to this question is dicey and must be tackled systematically ...majority of families in sub Sahara Africa was taken by slavery but the snag is that we do not have records of who and which family was taken as slaves ....I mean we are just inventing data centers to store data ...the only bet is genetics

Can we know the basis of the argument bro so that I can give you my own submission.

I don't don't want to be the man that was not there when the burial ceremony was going on and he was told to exhume ..he will start by the leg ...Igbo proverb

So what's the argthe argument about it

2 Likes

Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:43pm On Oct 16, 2014
I will try to ask around
But I doubt any was taken, my kins are pretty deep in equatorial forest + and we have always played a key or dominant position in the area for us to b slave

I'm talking about my ethnic group

Our names alone mean Lords and free people , so know slavery or raids are not part of our collective memory .but like I said I will ask

1 Like

Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by pansophist(m): 8:48pm On Oct 16, 2014
How I wan take know? undecided
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by black247: 8:57pm On Oct 16, 2014
christopher123:
I

The. Answer to this question is dicey and must be tackled systematically ...majority of families in sub Sahara Africa was taken by slavery but the snag is that we do not have records of who and which family was taken as slaves ....I mean we are just inventing data centers to store data ...the only bet is genetics

Can we know the basis of the argument bro so that I can give you my own submission.

I don't don't want to be the man that was not there when the burial ceremony was going on and he was told to exhume ..he will start by the leg ...Igbo proverb

Ok! So glad you came in!

I will give you a detailed background, didnt want to bore anyone!

MORE DETAILED BACKGROUND:
The argument brought to me from a British Jamaican that the reason the first diaspora is disconnected from Africans is because not only did we help sell them, we didnt come to find them either.

I argued that we didnt have a method, it was chaotic. I presented this to my elder (85) and he argued with me that many if not all were killed so there is virtually none of their ancestors left on the continent. He didnt say a percentage, but how he described the finite number, itd be less than 1%. That seems too low.

Then I told him that the tests were marking some of them back to Africa. He claimed (and keep in mind he has no experience with these tests but he insisted!) that the tests only show that they are African, as he believes that we are all going to test as related kin.

RECAP: So my question is ...is he (my uncle) right, that many were starved and killed..those that were not captured, their family members were killed? Or, am I right...there was too much confusion to pass it on? Or is my Jamaican friend right that they knew and simply didnt pass the story on as time went on..it didnt matter?

Thanks for the records/data info! My family never said we had slaves in an away land!
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by black247: 8:58pm On Oct 16, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
I will try to ask around
But I doubt any was taken, my kins are pretty deep in equatorial forest + and we have always played a key or dominant position in the area for us to b slave

I'm talking about my ethnic group

Our names alone mean Lords and free people , so know slavery or raids are not part of our collective memory .but like I said I will ask

Ok! Thank you! Itd settle up a three way debate!!
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Fulaman198(m): 9:21pm On Oct 16, 2014
black247:

Is this true?

Ok requested, to answer the original question, it's highly unlikely that any of my family members were ever sent as slaves to the Americas. Most people enslaved were not Fulani unless they came from Fouta Djallon, but Fulani and Senegambians in general were not enslaved as much. Some Wolof though were.

1 Like

Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by black247: 9:23pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ok requested, to answer the original question, it's highly unlikely that any of my family members were ever sent as slaves to the Americas. Most people enslaved were not Fulani unless they came from Fouta Djallon, but Fulani and Senegambians in general were not enslaved as much. Some Wolof though were.

Thank you my brother!! Maybe we can build bridges!!

Im afraid though that my know it all uncle might be right, by your answer!!

I will ask offline and find out too!
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by itstpia1: 1:34am On Oct 17, 2014
black247:

Google vs your PERSONAL experiences?

Interesting. Well this seems like too tough of a task for you.

FOR FUTURE READERS:

My question in the title was in other words: HAVE YOU PERSONALLY HEARD OF YOUR RELATIVES BEING TAKEN AS SLAVES?

I thought that was clear in the title.

Are you unaware there are entire towns and communities consisting of returnees all over africa?

This is why I say you shouldn't ignore google.
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by itstpia1: 1:36am On Oct 17, 2014
@ topic

So basically what you're saying ( or trying to say) is the slaves in the places you mention had all their african families killed off or sold and this was why they could not contact their places of origin during slavery?
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 17, 2014
My tribes men have an account of all the generations, from the founder of the tribe, who for my case was a nilote who was integrated into a bantu Kingdom. His wives, about ten in total gave birth to the subtribes, who though speaking the same language, they vary from one subtribe to the other. The sons of our founders wives are the founders of our varying clans. these all live traditinally in the same arrangement. for my case, my entire tribe occupies an entire administrative province. We have physical features distinct from other neighbouring tribes, and until recently, have been in on and off wars. The tribal bond is of blood, literally, and even todays politics are so tribal, at times leading to tribal wars. This tribal hatred might have fuelled the slave trade, and due to the defensive nature of tribes concerning even the least of their members, it could only have happened when such a people were completely disabled. As for Lost relatives, my extended family lost one adventurer in 1900s. Who knows.

1 Like

Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Nobody: 5:28am On Oct 18, 2014
christopher123:
I

Majority? No. transatlantic slave trade was concetrated in the west African coast. A few East and Central africans also through the portugees who landed in East African coast in the 1400s and traded with the Omani Arabs in slaves. Most of Africa had no idea of what was happening, especially those living away from coasts. Many still don't know.
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by AfricanApple(f): 8:31am On Oct 18, 2014
black247:
@africanapple and ALL.

Is this true?

I am trying to tag everyone I follow or has very good insight but I cant remember them all: pic
as for me, none of my family that I know nor heard of were taken anywhere as slaves. what are u using did debate for if I may ask, I mean what's d purpose of argument
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Stillfire: 9:10pm On Oct 18, 2014
I don't know if any of my family was taken off.
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

How suspicious...
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Fulaman198(m): 4:56pm On Oct 20, 2014
muafrika:
How suspicious...

How exactly is that highly suspicious my friend? What exactly are you trying to imply? cheesy
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

How exactly is that highly suspicious my friend? What exactly are you trying to imply? cheesy
People living in a place where slave trade is rife. All their neighbours get sold into slavery. They remain unscathed. I wonder why.
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Fulaman198(m): 5:08pm On Oct 20, 2014
muafrika:
People living in a place where slave trade is rife. All their neighbours get sold into slavery. They remain unscathed. I wonder why.

A lot of our neighbors were not sold into slavery. The Tuaregs, the Hausa, the Kanuri, etc. I think it was more of a geographical thing. Those living on the tropical coasts were sold more than those living in the more harsh semi-arid to arid areas of West Africa
Re: Africans: Was Any Of Your Family Taken As Slaves To Haiti, Jamaica, America Etc by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

A lot of our neighbors were not sold into slavery. The Tuaregs, the Hausa, the Kanuri, etc. I think it was more of a geographical thing. Those living on the tropical coasts were sold more than those living in the more harsh semi-arid to arid areas of West Africa
Makes sense now.

(1) (Reply)

Video: Dead Body Refuses To Be Buried Until... / Onitsha Is A Bini Land, We Want It Back / From Real Estate Fraud To Land Grabbing, Ooni Ogunwusi’s Scandals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.