Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,786 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

What's Your Most Memorable Experience As A New Immigrant? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's Your Most Memorable Experience As A New Immigrant? (601 Views)

Share Your Most Memorable Nursery Rhyme / Another African Immigrant Killed By U.S Police(some Day We'll Be Done Wit Oyibo) / Amazing Tips For Immigrant Parents- Transfer Your Heritage Culture To Your Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's Your Most Memorable Experience As A New Immigrant? by zboyd: 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2014
Here is a brief account of a close friend's most memorable experience, once he landed in New York, as a new immigrant, fresh from Nigeria.

After a long flight from Nigeria, he landed at JFK Airport in New York and was picked up by his cousin who lived in Brooklyn. A welcoming party was waiting for him. After a round of eating and drinking and socializing, my friend noticed a cat that was the pet of his cousin's wife. Now my friend loved cats. So he tried to tempt the cat over to him, using a piece of fish as bait and some sweet talk.

He went: "Here, puzzy, puzzy! Come puzzy, puzzy! I have some very sweet fish for you! Ehn! You are such a beautiful puzzy! Come! Come!"

Well, he said the entire room went deadly quiet. You could hear a rat pizz on cotton. Everyone was looking at him very strangely.

Finally, my friend's cousin spoke up.

He said: "My brother. Cats aren't called "puzzies" over here. That's street slang for a woman's vjay! We say cat or kitty."

lol

My friend said he was so mortified, he couldn't enjoy the rest of his welcoming party. But he never made that mistake again.

What's your most memorable experience, as a new immigrant?
Re: What's Your Most Memorable Experience As A New Immigrant? by zboyd: 12:32am On Oct 26, 2014
^

(1) (Reply)

ONI; Why I Won't Play Supremacy Politics. / PHOTOS: Ooni Of Ife And Wife, Olori Wuraola Visit Badagry Town / Federation Of Igbo Students OAU To Hold Its New Yam Festival / Orientation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.