Stats: 3,150,322 members, 7,808,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth (856 Views)

The Secret Behind The Toothpaste Bottom Colour / 10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / 5 Harmful Ingredients In Toothpaste ? (2) (3) (4)

5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by Kabidoye(m): 1:03am On Oct 17, 2014
5 Ingredients in toothpaste that can be bad for your teeth

1. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)

This is the ingredient that causes the foaming action in your toothpaste as well as many other personal care products such as shampoo. Many tooth pastes contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.  It is there to thicken your toothpaste and help it foam like soap to give you that clean feeling.  But there are many downsides to using Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in your toothpaste. SLS can increase the incidence of canker sores or aphthous ulcers in the mouth. So if you suffer from recurrent aphthous ulcers, it might help to use SLS-free toothpastes. Some studies also show that increasing the amounts of sodium lauryl sulfate, decreased the amount of soluble fluoride deposited on the enamel. Since fluoride delivery is one of the main purposes of toothpaste it makes sense to avoid toothpastes with sodium lauryl sulfate. The American College of Toxicology says it can cause skin corrosion, irritation and canker sores. "Both Sodium and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate appear to be safe in formulations designed for discontinuous, brief use followed by thorough rinsing from the surface of the skin. In products intended for prolonged contact with skin, concentrations should not exceed 1%"

2. Abrasives/Whitening toothpastes

Abrasives constitute at least 50% of a typical toothpaste. Harsh abrasives (especially in whitening toothpastes) can scratch and damage tooth enamel. So it's important to be very careful when using the extreme whitening toothpastes or use them in moderation. Once the enamel is scratched it becomes more susceptible to stains and discoloration making the user need more whitening products. Teeth can also become very sensitive as the enamel is worn away and the underlying tooth layer (dentin) is exposed. These abrasive toothpastes have tiny particles that remove stains but can also remove the shine and enamel on your teeth. 

3. Sodium Fluoride

While Fluoride has been proven to prevent cavities in small doses, when ingested can have harmful effects. Children are especially prone to swallowing toothpaste, which can cause permanent staining (fluorosis) and be poisonous. Ingesting even a small amount of sodium fluoride may cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It is important to use only a pea sized amount of toothpaste and to rinse it out thoroughly. 

4. Glycerin:

Glycerin, an oily substance in toothpaste, is often made from natural sources such as coconut oil, but it sticks to the teeth and takes several rinses  to remove.  There are some who believe a coating of glycerin impedes the enamel repair and re-mineralization that would naturally occur.

5. Dyes/Triclosan

There are many dye's used in commercial toothpastes including FD&C blue dye no. 2 that has been linked to behavioral issues and other health problems according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Triclosan, an antibacterial ingredient used in some toothpastes has also been found to have adverse effects in mice and rats but has not been proven to be harmful in humans.

Make sure you look at the ingredients in your toothpaste next time you go toothpaste shopping! Remember, most of the teeth cleaning is achieved by the mechanical action of the toothbrush, and not by the toothpaste! Brush with a soft toothbrush, brush gently at a 45 degree angle (not horizontally), be wary of extreme whitening toothpastes. Only use a pea sized amount of toothpaste to prevent over exposure. And the most important of all, FLOSS.
God bless you all. PEACE!

Source: International Journal of Toxicology

Source: Business Insider
Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by biggmusty(m): 1:14am On Oct 17, 2014
Na wa o.. Dirty ppl go get excuse nw sad
Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by Nobody: 1:16am On Oct 17, 2014
Every thing has it negative side also
Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by Gptech(m): 1:17am On Oct 17, 2014
What about even more dangerous chemicals present in toothpastes that manufacturers will never let us know of, because as you know, this is Nigeria!
Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by Onlinebizexpert(m): 1:38am On Oct 17, 2014
I brush teeth.............PROBLEM

I no brush teeth..........PROBLEM

Oyibo people dey mad

Nkechi abeg bring me white sand and chewing stick make I wash mouth

Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by msmon(m): 3:18am On Oct 17, 2014
Good! I will intensify my use of chewing stick.
Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by jachi001(f): 4:05am On Oct 17, 2014
Thanks for the information! May be i should fall back to chewing stick and ash.
Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by bunmioguns(m): 4:10am On Oct 17, 2014

Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by k4kings(m): 4:33am On Oct 17, 2014
Its all man for himself..... As for me nd my fellow Nairalanders NO tooth paste NO brushing. #Savemoney
Re: 5 Ingredients In Toothpaste That Can Be Bad For Your Teeth by naturally: 9:52am On Oct 17, 2014
shocked Going back to chewing stick sharp sharp

Kill That Staph Aureus (MRSM) Or UTI / Faqs About Bedbug Fumigation And Bed Bugs Eradication Services / How Right or Wrong Is Self-Medication?