Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,075 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

God bless all Mothers. Amen - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / God bless all Mothers. Amen (14023 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / See What Nigerian Women Can Do (photos) / 4 Women Claim To Be MIC Okusanya's Wives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by mejai(m): 7:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
grin I just dey laff o. cheesy hihihihihi. But e be like say Na true o.hahhaha
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by LaRoyalHighness(f): 8:50pm On Oct 17, 2014
...and you expect me to argue with you? Ok ..you win... Its not painful.. You hear! undecided

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
thandii1:

You guys do not realise how insensitive you are with these utterances. Women shinning with labour? Someone is even comparing flogging to child bearing. Have you asked yourself why some men faint seeing their wives labour? why Some wail helplessly seeing their wives go through labour pain. Labour is not a joke and until you have experienced it, please desist from saying women are exaggerating. It is an excruciating experience that torments one physically , mentally, and emotionally. Labour isn't just a 5mins thing where you pop out the baby like you are shitting, it occurs in stages and can take hours. No two bodies are the same as we all have varying thresholds for pain. Even for one person, no 2 births are the same. So the fact that some women find it easier doesn't mean those that don't are exaggerating.

Do you guys have comprehension problems?

Where and how did I compare labour pains to flogging?

Care to show?
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

Lol, instead of giving me a hard knock on my head, why not show me how and where I compared labour pain with cane.

I noticed no one has been able to refute that simple experiment I gave, neither has any attempted to refute the research-The reason seems obvious. cheesy

I don't think anyone is taking your "experiment" seriously, that's why. undecided

Have you even cared to click on the source provided?
Do you understand it?
Do you understand the problem behind it?

I cannot believe these people call themselves scientists.

I guess the ongoing violence in this part of the world has clouded their sense of judgement.

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 17, 2014

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I don't think anyone is taking your "experiment" seriously, that's why. undecided

Or it could be they have no answer.

It's an undeniable fact that females find it difficult bearing pain. My experiment was meant to show that, when subjected to same amount of pain, women tend to exaggerate it more. I see nothing in childbirth that will make it an exception to the norm.

you: Have you even cared to click on the source provided?
Do you understand it?
Do you understand the problem behind it?

Yes, I read and perfectly understood it. Whatever disagreement you may have with their conclusion, it doesn't change the fact that their conclusion is a valid deduction.

You are free to show how their conclusion is invalid.

you: I cannot believe these people call themselves scientists.

You are free to pursue the ad hominems

you: I guess the ongoing violence in this part of the world has clouded their sense of judgement.

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

Or it could be they have no answer.

It's an undeniable fact that females find it difficult bearing pain. My experiment was meant to show that, when subjected to same amount of pain, women tend to exaggerate it more. I see nothing in childbirth that will make it an exception to the norm.

As long as men cannot give birth, the comparisons are useless.

Yes, I read and perfectly understood it. Whatever disagreement you may have with their conclusion, it doesn't change the fact that their conclusion is a valid deduction.

Their conclusion is absolute rubbish and I have explained why women assess the pain briefly after labor to be less intense. "Scientists" should know it.

You are free to show how their conclusion is invalid.

I have a few posts ago.

You are free to pursue the ad hominems

If someone publishes something like this in the name of science, the person should be sacked immediately.

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by thandii1: 9:47pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

Do you guys have comprehension problems?

Where and how did I compare labour pains to flogging?

Care to show?

From your post, you compared the pain tolerance of both sexes using high school flogging as an analogy. Who even thinks of labour pain and relates it with the kind of pain induced by flogging except someone who has no idea what labour entails. Labour pain isn't just a physical on-the-surface kinda pain.
...And until you witness a man go through labour pains, the analogy remains illogical to me.

But , hey, feel free to believe it is overhyped. *shrugs*

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 17, 2014

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 17, 2014
Nonso23:

Unless the person is managing a case of endometriosis menstrual cramps should not be severe. Anyway, no one said labour was painless, the point is simply that the pain is not as horrendous as a lot of us are made to believe and unless a complication arises during childbirth or the mother is a special 'case' the process should be endurable even without anesthetics.
All the statements like 'there is no pain as excruciating as labour pain etc' that fly around are exaggerations.

Women have endured pain without anesthetics for ages and you are not in the position to tell what it feels like to suffer from menstrual pain and from pain during child labour.

Apart from this, some people tolerate pain better than others. There is research on this.

And unless you will give birth to a child, you will not be in the position to compare it to migraine or any other pain.

If a woman says that the pain during labor was the worst pain she has experience, I see no reason to question her.

9 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by smartmom(f): 10:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
Nonso23:

It may be very excruciating for some but that doesn't make it the norm. Labour is not fun but it's not the toughest pain there is e.g migraine . That is my point.
By the way, it is the fear of this labour pain that heightens the terror of the experience not necessarily the process.
I'm not being insensitive, maybe a bit indifferent.

Nonso, really since you havnt worn that shoe before and will never wear it, it is rather (am searching for a proper word to express myself now) improper for you to compare the pain of labour with migraine.

I have delivered 4 normally before and I must say easier than most women(I have relatively short labour) with my 2nd almost been born at home! but I can categorically tell you that childbearing cannot be compared with migraine, root canal or kidney stones(I know of all these angry) so please until you can experience it do not make claims or categorical statements.

6 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 17, 2014

2 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

As long as men cannot give birth, the comparisons are useless.

I hope you realise by saying this, you've essentially destroyed what science is all about, which is making inferences.

you: Their conclusion is absolute rubbish and I have explained why women assess the pain briefly after labor to be less intense. "Scientists" should know it.

I have a few posts ago.

If someone publishes something like this in the name of science, the person should be sacked immediately.

Lol, you're one funny lady. I read your previous reply and I can't help but wonder how you can't see yourself shooting yourself in the foot.

If oxytocin makes them forget the pain after childbirth, doesn't that equally imply the same oxytocin will make them feel less pains during labour? Isn't the same oxytocin produced during labour?

Look at how you confirm the research for the researchers.

Thank you for proving me point for me grin

2 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Janet101(f): 10:25pm On Oct 17, 2014
@OP,I have few questions for u,how old are u(just d range),are u married,do u have sisters, have u ever been to d labour room or see someone in labour pain?

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

I hope you realise by saying this, you've essentially destroyed what science is all about, which is making inferences.

I was referring to your comparisons of flogging.

Lol, you're one funny lady. I read your previous reply and I can't help but wonder how you can see yourself shooting yourself in the foot.

If oxytocin makes them forget the pain after childbirth, doesn't that equally imply the same oxytocin will make them feel less pains during labour? Isn't the same oxytocin produced during labour?

Look at how you confirm the research for the researchers.

Thank you for proving me point for me grin

There is a mixture of hormones that makes women experience feelings of euphoria AFTER delivery, these hormones also facilitate the bonding process between mother and child AFTER DELIVERY. Yet, women don't experience euphoria during labour or have you ever experienced a woman giving birth, smiling and dancing? No, they SCREAM!
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 17, 2014
Nonso23:

To be clear I've been churning out reports.
The migraine part was a woman's report.
A lady said healing after caesarian beats labour pain itself. (Her first child was natural childbirth, 2nd was C.S)
My aunt after having her tooth pulled out remarked that she'd rather go through labour all day than endure one more hour of intense toothache.
There are others and these are not off the internet but based a one on one interactions. The women who said that labour as the worst they've had to endure are usually those without history of bone or teeth issues. I've been on this issue longer than you may think.
These are not my reports nor am I making comparisons with men. All I'm saying is that from what I've gathered from women labour pain isn't the worst they've had to endure. This research just further establishes that hypothesis.

We will talk about it again when you become a father and witness the birth of your first child, ok? wink smiley

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 17, 2014
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 17, 2014
thandii1:

From your post, you compared the pain tolerance of both sexes using high school flogging as an analogy. Who even thinks of labour pain and relates it with the kind of pain induced by flogging except someone who has no idea what labour entails. Labour pain isn't just a physical on-the-surface kinda pain.
...And until you witness a man go through labour pains, the analogy remains illogical to me.

But , hey, feel free to believe it is overhyped. *shrugs*

The experiment I cited wasn't an analogy. An analogy compares two things. I am not comparing.

I am showing that, if at lower levels of pain, girls are known to exaggerate pain, there is nothing that will prevent them from exaggerating pain at higher levels.

That's the very simple and clear point the experiment seeks to drive in which surprisingly eludes you.

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

The experiment I cited wasn't an analogy. An analogy compares two things. I am not comparing.

I am showing that, if at lower levels of pain, girls are known to exaggerate pain, there is nothing that will prevent them from exaggerating pain at higher levels.

That's the very simple and clear point the experiment seeks to drive in which surprisingly eludes you.

It has nothing to do with exaggeration.

People experience pain differently.
Even two different men experience pain differently.

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 17, 2014
Nonso23:

Alright
grin grin
Not that it would be entirely new to me though.

Nonso, you are not the only one who knows people who have given birth.
And you are not the only one who talked to people about it.

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:43pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I was referring to your comparisons of flogging.

And how many times will I say it wasn't a comparison? It simply shows what happens at lower levels of pain. I further argued that, there's no barrier that will prevent such from happening at higher levels of pain. That's inferential not comparison.

you: There is a mixture of hormones that makes women experience feelings of euphoria AFTER delivery, these hormones also facilitate the bonding process between mother and child AFTER DELIVERY. Yet, women don't experience euphoria during labour or have you ever experienced a woman giving birth, smiling and dancing? No, they SCREAM!

Maybe you go back to read your link. The same set of hormones you claim gives them euphoria after childbirth are equally present during labour.

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 17, 2014
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

And how many times will I say it wasn't a comparison? It simply shows what happens at lower levels of pain. I further argued that, there's no barrier that will prevent such from happening at higher levels of pain. That's inferential not comparison.

There are men AND women who are more sensitive to pain.
It is not a question of gender.

Maybe you go back to read your link. The same set of hormones you claim gives them euphoria after childbirth are equally present during labour.

The effects of hormones are very complex and even though some women experience a state of euphoria AFTER delivery, they do NOT during labor.
Besides, the moment the woman gets to hold her new born baby in her arms, she is so moved that she forgets the pain.

Believe whatever you want. I wish the pain I experience every month wasn't so bad and I wish the pain during labor won't be worse.
I have no reason to prove to anyone that it is bad, I pray it wasn't.
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 17, 2014
Nonso23:

Nor did I claim any of the above. It just so happens that my testimonies are relevant to the thread.

So are mine. wink
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

It has nothing to do with exaggeration.

People experience pain differently.
Even two different men experience pain differently.

You can try out that experiment and tell me what you arrive at. You need not even carry it out. You can ask any teacher.

Those of us who attended secondary schools where we were beaten almost every other day already know the answer.

At lower levels of pain, ladies generally exaggerate it more. It's an undisputed fact.
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

You can try out that experiment and tell me what you arrive at. You need not even carry it out. You can ask any teacher.

Those of us who attended secondary schools where we were beaten almost every other day already know the answer.

At lower levels of pain, ladies generally exaggerate it more. It's an undisputed fact.

Ok. Women exaggerate.
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by smartmom(f): 10:53pm On Oct 17, 2014
Like a poster mentioned earlier, different thresh hold for different women. Matter of fact, even for one woman, different deliveries elicit different pain. It is completely wrong to make sweeping comments that women generally exaggerate or fake pain. Hey it isnt a popularity contest thing. Like I mentioned, I have relatively short labour and can even say I can take on the pain of labour to the discomfort of episiotomy( that is another messy and painful part of labour) which is probably what the woman that preferred natural childbirth to a Csection said but for a normal delivery of say 6 to 12 hours, believe the women that say it is excruciating pain.

And to site carefreewannabe, yes the oxytocin rush does give a woman a 'high' like you can conquer the world. Delivery is a life altering experience I assure you.

I have bragging rights wink.

4 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 17, 2014

2 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by destante(f): 10:55pm On Oct 17, 2014
research shows u abi. too bad experience can't show u same.
you will never know.

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
Wait o!! Dnt tell me its a male that created this thread. I expect such a conclusion to come from a woman NOT a Man who has never gotten pregnant/felt labour pains for hours!!! Like seriously? Why should a man come here and tell us women exaggerate labour pains? Is he alright in the Head? Or did he just drop down from another planet?

7 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

There are men AND women who are more sensitive to pain.
It is not a question of gender.

And I repeat for the umpteenth time ladies are more sensitive to pain.

It's an undisputed fact.

Yes, here and there, you might find guys who are as sensitive to pains as ladies, there are always exceptions. I'm talking of the norm and not exceptions.

you: The effects of hormones are very complex and even though some women experience a state of euphoria AFTER delivery, they do NOT during labor.
Besides, the moment the woman gets to hold her new born baby in her arms, she is so moved that she forgets the pain.

Believe whatever you want. I wish the pain I experience every month wasn't so bad and I wish the pain during labor won't be worse.
I have no reason to prove to anyone that it is bad, I pray it wasn't.

I can see you're unwilling to accept that the same hormones causing euphoria after childbirth can equally make labour less painful. I think I know why.

If women told you the pain of labour is much more than that of menstruation, they are only confirming what the researchers found out.

They are exaggerating the pain. They've forgotten several times during labour when the pain wasn't intense- Probably due to the release of those hormones.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oyindamola Bakare Is Missing / Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? / Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.