Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,079 members, 7,807,229 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

The 7 Stages Of Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The 7 Stages Of Marriage (3205 Views)

The Horrifying Stages Of a Childbirth (Graphic Pics) / The Three Stages Of Growth In Marriage / Stages Of Pregnancy From Conception To Birth. (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 7 Stages Of Marriage by lalasticlala(m): 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2014
Building a successful marriage is a lifelong challenge. Understanding the different phases a marriage goes through may help you build a stronger and better relationship. Read on to learn more about the seven stages of marriage.

Stage One: Passion

This is the honeymoon stage, when romance and intense attraction bond a couple together and lead to commitment. In retrospect, it often seems as short-lived as springtime – by two years, most couples have usually lost that initial magic, though this can vary by couple. But when it is happening, the passion stage is very strong and significant. It is a wave of feel-good brain chemicals orchestrated by Mother Nature to make the two of you forsake all others and take action to ensure the survival of the species.

Even if you’re marrying later in life, or for the second time, nature supplies these delicious bursts of neurotransmitters to make you bond. Couples not only frolic and fall madly in love in the passion stage – they begin to establish the trust, respect and emotional intimacy that will support their relationship forever.

Stage Two: Realization

In this stage, the honeymoon ends, and a more real vision of the rest of your life begins. In this stage, you discover your spouse is not only human, he also doesn’t load the dishwasher or lower the toilet seat. Disappointment and early conflicts are the hallmarks of this difficult, unavoidable period, as the two of you make the first steps toward accepting each other for who you really are.

The mission and challenge? No less than laying the groundwork for a long future together based on acceptance, respect and openness to change. You’ll need to assertively discuss and emphatically listen as you both introduce your deepest personal needs and wants. This creates a foundation for being truly known, understood and supported in the years ahead.

Stage Three: Rebellion

She misses her friends; he misses his cool toys. She wants to travel; he wants to play weekly softball. She wants to build her career; he wants to build his career. Even for couples who successfully navigate the realization stage of marriage and lay the foundation for a happy, respectful coexistence together, a time inevitably emerges when self-interestoften overtakes the interests of the marriage. And when this happens, be ready for the battles.

Love amid the power struggles of the rebellion stage is tricky business. You both believe you’re right, so of course your partner’s wrong. That means you’re simultaneously offended at being called wrong and claiming the moral high ground. Is this any way to run a marriage?

Experts say the drama of the rebellion stage are unavoidable. Learning the art of the good fight is the mission now – often it is the nature of the battles, rather than the substance of the discussion, that leads to trouble. Why? Rebellious thoughts, when metwith anger and frustration, often lead to rebellious actions, such as infidelity, outlandish spending, or saying yes to the sudden offer from work to transfer to a new city. Any of these can spell disaster for a marriage.

Stage Four: Cooperation

As marriages progress over time, they inevitably become more complicated. Careers grow, houses get bigger, personal commitments grow deeper, and children arrive. In the cooperation stage, marriage takes on a business-like personality. Set aside all that love and emotion and personal-realization stuff: There are mortgages to be paid, investments to be handled, careers to be directed, health to be managed, and – first and foremost – children to be raised.

Step Five: Reunion

If you have children, the cooperation stage often lasts10 to 20 years – then suddenly it is gone. Your parenting commitments are lessened, your finances established, your career set, your mortgage paid. What then? For happy couples, it is a time to appreciate each other again, not as parents and providers but as lovers and friends, thinkers and seekers. Achieve this and there’s peace, happiness and reconciliation.That all sounds wonderful but this ideal is often hard to achieve. The embers of passion need stoking; the disillusionment and distance of middle age need to be managed; the roles and expectations of the marriage need recalibrating.

Step Six: Explosion

Job loss, major health problems, a move to a new city, financial troubles, the illness or death of a parent– as you pass through midlife and into the golden years, major life developments seem to come one upon the other. In the explosion phase, either you, your spouse, or both of you are dealing with major, life-shaking events that could affect your relationship for a day, a year, or the rest of your lives. While the other six stages tend to occur in order, the Explosion stage can happen at any time in a marriage though it happens most as we pass through our 40s and 50s.

Confronted by a personal crisis, your marriage can be a source of solace or be sorely tried by the unexpected pressure of new roles, new limitations and new fears. The mission of the explosion stage: Deal the best you can with life’s challenges and changes, but at the same time, keep yourself happy and healthy. Letting your marriage see you through can be as simple as sharing daily joys, provided you sometimes practice the Zen-like art of putting aside fear and stress.

Step Seven: Completion

It’s no coincidence: Lots of surveys find that marital happiness soars after several decades of a shared life. Experts say simply that it’s because the kids are grown, and couples know each other very, very well. But there’s more to it than that. Knowing each other isn’t merely about tolerating each other’s habits, quirks and needs. In the completion stage, “knowing”each other has a far deeper meaning – and a bigger payoff as well.

Part of being a happy man is to never lose the boy within; the same goes for women – there is the spirit of a young girl inside, no matter how many wrinkles edge the eyes. Maintaining a childlike love of life, laughter, nature, and each other is the real secret to aperpetually blessed relationship. It is also living in thepresent, not the past. In the completion stage of marriage, there is never a belief that the best times are over – they should always be today and tomorrow.

Source: http://www.readersdigest.ca/health/relationships/7-stages-marriage

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Dramadiddy(m): 8:06pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chai ooo see as person analyse marriage like say na el classico... Anyway thanks i ll keep it in mind
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 17, 2014
How could you make a list like this without including trust ? No marriage could last/ remain truly happy without trust.

1 Like

Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2014
Too Complicated. undecided
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by LaRoyalHighness(f): 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2014
Is it this bad?
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Rutheby(f): 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2014
Elantracey:
How could you make a list like this without including trust ? No marriage could last/ remain truly happy without trust.
You're right. Nice one lalasticlala, your thread makes lot of sense. I've been following some lately.
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by lalasticlala(m): 8:53pm On Oct 17, 2014
Rutheby:
You're right. Nice one lalasticlala, your thread makes lot of sense. I've been following some lately.

really? thanxx dear
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Rutheby(f): 8:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
lalasticlala:

really? thanxx dear
yea. U're welcome
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by englishmart(m): 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2014
Elantracey:
there can't be completion and cooperation without trust.

It is called states of marriage, not components of marriage

2 Likes

Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 17, 2014
I like this post. It tells you exactly what marriage is about. I hope The "Marry by fire by force" crew are reading this.

1 Like

Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 17, 2014
Sophyrocks:
I like this post. It tells you exactly what marriage is about. I hope The "Marry by fire by force" crew are reading this.

Who are they? grin tongue
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Kanwulia: 9:18pm On Oct 17, 2014
"DIVORCION" nko? wink
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by SAMBARRY: 9:20pm On Oct 17, 2014
Kanwulia:
"DIVORCION" nko? wink
grin

reminds me of the song "eldorado" grin
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 9:26pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Who are they? grin tongue

I have no idea. They are everywhere and could be reading this post.

1 Like

Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Kanwulia: 9:27pm On Oct 17, 2014
SAMBARRY:
grin

reminds me of the song "eldorado" grin

You mean "Nearer My God To Thee"! grin
Instead, make I go tame "rattlesnake" jor!
Shiooooooooooor!
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 17, 2014
Sophyrocks:

I have no idea. They are everywhere and could be reading this post.

They are watching you. Be careful. They have already recruited soldiers. grin
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by SAMBARRY: 9:29pm On Oct 17, 2014
Kanwulia:

grin

something like that. So you know hymns grin

so it means God has not given up on you yet grin
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Kanwulia: 9:31pm On Oct 17, 2014
SAMBARRY:
grin

something like that. So you know hymns grin

so it means God has not given up on you yet grin

No God can give up on me o!
I always tell THEM THE GOSPEL TRUTH! Even when they PHOCK UP! kiss
They love me just the way I am o.
"Just As I Am"! cool
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by SAMBARRY: 9:33pm On Oct 17, 2014
Kanwulia:

I always tell THEM THE GOSPEL TRUTH! kiss
"Just As I Am"! cool
grin grin shocked shocked grin grin
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by tmanis(m): 10:07pm On Oct 17, 2014
can't we just skip number 3?
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by rattlesnake(m): 10:07pm On Oct 17, 2014
Kanwulia:

Instead, make I go tame "rattlesnake" jor!
Shiooooooooooor!
undecided
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

They are watching you. Be careful. They have already recruited soldiers. grin

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by daveP(m): 10:21pm On Oct 17, 2014
(muses) practically true!
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 17, 2014
Kanwulia:

I always tell THEM THE GOSPEL TRUTH! Even when they PHOCK UP! kiss
"Just As I Am"! cool
grin
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by edymonte: 10:52pm On Oct 17, 2014
9ice 1
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Anugod(f): 2:57am On Oct 18, 2014
Love this.
Re: The 7 Stages Of Marriage by Nobody: 3:33am On Oct 18, 2014
Where did you put commitment?

Commitment keeps marriage going,even if all the rest dies..

Most people are in marriage because of the commitment,even if they don't enjoy it again..

(1) (Reply)

Can You Recommend A Good Event Centre In Benin City / thanks / A lady refuses to marry her lover because of this surname.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.