Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,274 members, 7,807,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

How Does One Answer This Legal Question? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Does One Answer This Legal Question? (2663 Views)

Suggestions Needed: How Best Can One Answer A Question Like This In An Exam / Can Any One Answer This Question??.....i Dont Think So / Payment Of Development Levies In Private Schools: Is This Legal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 17, 2014
My first coursework on Law of Contracts and though I have ideas, I don't know how to start. SIS Berem please mention any Lawyer or law student here you know, thanks.

P.S What I need is the sequence of arrangement not the answer, I got brains for that smiley Thanks.

"If there is one thing more than another which public policy requires, it is that men of full age and competent understanding shall have the utmost liberty in contracting and that their contracts, which they entered into freely and voluntarily, shall be held sacred and shall be enforced by courts of justice."

With the aid of relevant authorities, discuss the truthfulness of this statement with particular reference to the ingredients of a valid contract.
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 17, 2014
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 17, 2014
berem:

Was aking that you mention law people or people who would have an idea on how to start, really need to make a good first impression. Hoping that you know a lot of people here. smiley
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 17, 2014
Timzy234:

Was asking that you mention law people or people who would have an idea on how to start, really need to make a good first impression. Hoping that you know a lot of people here. smiley
I really don't know what your topic is all about and I don't know lot of people on nairaland as you said.

Sorry dear. smiley
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
berem:
I really don't know what your topic is all about and I don't know lot of people on nairaland as you said.

Sorry dear. smiley

Alright, thanks. smiley
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by kevinaduga(m): 10:58pm On Oct 17, 2014
Let me help...
That quote is attributed to an English judge Sir George Jessel in Printing and Numerical Registering v Sampson. The quote is basically an embodiment of the economic theory of laissez-faire, impari materia with the doctrine of freedom of contract, which postulates that persons are free to enter into contracts of whatever nature between themselves and these contracts are protected and enforceable by law, in so far as they meet the essential requirements of a valid and enforceable contract.
Since you simply asked for a guide on how to tackle the question and not a complete dissertation, i would suggest the method i use in tackling essay questions (which this question is).
1. Introduction: cite the authority where the qoute is taken from. The judge who made the quote. And the facts of the case.
2. Main body: Define what a contract is. Define freedom of contract and it's origin. You should make reference to Printing v Sampson, especially Jessel MR's postulations while doing this. Cite other cases where the doctrine was either upheld or ignored. Outline the importance of the doctrine. Outline the inherent problem of strict compliance with the doctrine for example, unequal bargaining power of the parties to the contract. e.t.c.
3.Conclusion: sum up your work and outline the application of the doctrine, especially in contemporary times.
Ensure you cite authorities to support each point you raise.
Also note that there is no water tight way of answering law questions. Just choose a style you are most comfortable with, so far the essentials are present. The most important consideration is to present your ideas in a logical manner.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Chuksemi(m): 10:59pm On Oct 17, 2014
Op, let me help you. Naijaboiy, Miracy please attend to the creator of this thread. He is in need of the service of a lawyer, doesn't matter if you're aspiring. cool
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Obinoscopy(m): 11:11pm On Oct 17, 2014
Timzy234:
My first coursework on Law of Contracts and though I have ideas, I don't know how to start. SIS Berem please mention any Lawyer or law student here you know, thanks.

P.S What I need is the sequence of arrangement not the answer, I got brains for that smiley Thanks.

"If there is one thing more than another which public policy requires, it is that men of full age and competent understanding shall have the utmost liberty in contracting and that their contracts, which they entered into freely and voluntarily, shall be held sacred and shall be enforced by courts of justice."

With the aid of relevant authorities, discuss the truthfulness of this statement with particular reference to the ingredients of a valid contract.
cc Modream
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Oct 20, 2014
Obinoscopy:
cc Modream
kevinaduga:
Let me help...
That quote is attributed to an English judge Sir George Jessel in Printing and Numerical Registering v Sampson. The quote is basically an embodiment of the economic theory of laissez-faire, impari materia with the doctrine of freedom of contract, which postulates that persons are free to enter into contracts of whatever nature between themselves and these contracts are protected and enforceable by law, in so far as they meet the essential requirements of a valid and enforceable contract.
Since you simply asked for a guide on how to tackle the question and not a complete dissertation, i would suggest the method i use in tackling essay questions (which this question is).
1. Introduction: cite the authority where the qoute is taken from. The judge who made the quote. And the facts of the case.
2. Main body: Define what a contract is. Define freedom of contract and it's origin. You should make reference to Printing v Sampson, especially Jessel MR's postulations while doing this. Cite other cases where the doctrine was either upheld or ignored. Outline the importance of the doctrine. Outline the inherent problem of strict compliance with the doctrine for example, unequal bargaining power of the parties to the contract. e.t.c.
3.Conclusion: sum up your work and outline the application of the doctrine, especially in contemporary times.
Also note that there is no water tight way of answering law questions. Just choose a style you are most comfortable with, so far the essentials are present. The most important consideration is to present your ideas in a logical manner.

Thank you so much. I call on dhammyg for any possible addition
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Obinoscopy(m): 12:27pm On Oct 20, 2014
Obinoscopy:
cc Modream
Modhream your input is also needed here abeg.
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 20, 2014
Timzy234:

Thank you so much. I call on dhammyg for any possible addition
SORRY BUT I CAN'T ANSWER THIS QUESTIONsad
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 21, 2014
kevinaduga:
Let me help...

I have read that case thrice but been unable to come up with brief facts sef. Me I'm just confused
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Oct 21, 2014
kevinaduga:
Let me help...

Can you please provide your email so that I can send you my work for any possible editing? thanks.
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by kevinaduga(m): 8:37pm On Oct 21, 2014
Timzy234:

Can you please provide your email so that I can send you my work for any possible editing? thanks.
ok...kevinaduga@yahoo.com.. im always ready to help
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 5:56am On Nov 15, 2014
kevinaduga:

Thanks for the advice...the scores came out and I was among the highest scoring students (25/30)

God bless you.
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 5:58am On Nov 15, 2014
kevinaduga:

I got 25/30 ....God bless you. Thanks for the guide
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by kevinaduga(m): 8:12am On Nov 15, 2014
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by kevinaduga(m): 8:12am On Nov 15, 2014
Timzy234:

Thanks for the advice...the scores came out and I was among the highest scoring students (25/30)

God bless you.
Wooow.. congrats bro!
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 15, 2015
kevinaduga:
Wooow.. congrats bro!

Please help with this (if you can)...just steps. Taking few clases on Nigerian law so I wouldn't have a time when I get back to the country.

"THE INDIRECT RULE SYSTEM SUCCEEDED AT VARIOUS POLITICAL COMMUNITIES IN PRE-COLONIAL NIGERIA", DISCUSS

tHANKS.
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by kevinaduga(m): 9:22pm On Feb 03, 2015
Timzy234:

Please help with this (if you can)...just steps. Taking few clases on Nigerian law so I wouldn't have a time when I get back to the country.

"THE INDIRECT RULE SYSTEM SUCCEEDED AT VARIOUS POLITICAL COMMUNITIES IN PRE-COLONIAL NIGERIA", DISCUSS

tHANKS.
ok..let me see what I can do
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by kevinaduga(m): 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2015
Timzy234:

tHANKS.
ok..let me see what I can do
Re: How Does One Answer This Legal Question? by enemfun(m): 8:49am On Aug 18, 2017
I, myself, have questions bothering on an issue in my neighbourhood. I am being asked to pay for the construction of a road that passes through the front of my house and I am not financially disposed to doing that now. I have explained my present financial status to my neighbours and the need for us to explore the option of attracting government attention to the road but my neighbours are threatening to erect a barricade at the entrance of the road, thereby denying me driving access to my house. Please I need a sound legal advice on this matter. Kindly help broadcast to all in this forum per adventure learned lawyers can help me out with a sound advice.

(1) (Reply)

Neco 2015 Data Processing Answers Now Ready At.. / Should I Go For NYSC, Direct Entry Or Both Simultaneously? / Can I Become A Lecturer With A 2.2 In First Degree With My MSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.