Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

Okocha Annoying Hype - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha Annoying Hype (55244 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? / Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 17, 2014
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by okonja(m): 10:52pm On Oct 17, 2014
So, what's your main point now because all you wrote is trash.. undecided angry

Good news for smart phone and pc users, you can get the best MTN data plan for your internet enabled devices why waste more when u can pay less for as low as N400 for 250mb, N1500 for 1GB...check this out on this thread. Nairaland Certified Mtn data reseller

240 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
okonja:
So, what's your main point now because all you wrote is trash.. undecided angry
Who released you from the prison?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by victorix(m): 11:17pm On Oct 17, 2014
op, i have never heard someone say "okocha is the best player ever". He was jst one of the best nigerian player of his time. Dont forget his awesome dribbling and passing skills.

I woud say, okocha was jst unlucky.

206 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by okonja(m): 11:20pm On Oct 17, 2014
victorix:
op, i have never heard someone say "okocha is the best player ever". He was jst one of the best nigerian player of his time. Dont forget his awesome dribbling and pass skills.

I woud say, okocha was jst unlucky.
Better person, thumbs up.... grin grin

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by otipoju(m): 12:06am On Oct 18, 2014
Okocha could have been the greatest.

He did not because earlier on in his career he was always playing to the gallery and preferred to enjoy himself and entertain the spectators instead of playing purposeful football.

It was after he joined PSG that his game was alteredwhen he had a paradigm shift and he started being purposeful.

Apart from these Okocha with all his skills had a preference for teams where he would be without a credible rival and so command the number ten Jersey.
So he deliberately avoided the big clubs.

His best years as a complete team oriented, match winning focused footballer was at Bolton where he had a knack for tormenting the big teams with his artistry and almost became the African footballer of the year at that time.

Nevertheless I prefer Kanu Nwankwo... His skills and mien on the ball were simply sublime. Unforced, Unhurried,and magical... Kanu did things no other player could imagine.

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 18, 2014
otipoju:

He did not because earlier on in his career he was always playing to the gallery and preferred to enjoy himself and entertain the spectators instead of playing purposeful football.

It was after he joined PSG that his game was alteredwhen he had a paradigm shift and he started being purposeful.

My friend please stop talking rubbish. When Jay Jay was at Fenebache - arguably at his prime - he scored 32 goals in 60 games. For a midfielder that is SPECTACULAR. And that is not the statistic of someone who ''just wants to entertain''. It was even when he went to Paris St Germain later on that he had problems with the coach who played him out of position (such as on the wings, believe it or not), he was unhappy, and his goal tally dropped. If he was European or Brazilian he would have been treated much better.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by otipoju(m): 12:21am On Oct 18, 2014
You must be a fool to call my analysis rubish. When he went to Fernebache, was the turkish leauge not a backwater leauge. Does this not align with what I said about his not being ambitious.

Tell me where the worlds greatest players are found. Do you find them at Bolton, Frankfurt, Fenerbache?

Gorge Weah a liberian from Black Africa was World best and Europe best playing for AC Milan.

Eto Samuel exploits at Barcelona will never be forgotten in Europe. So quit the " its because he is a blackman" crutches that you used to support your handicapped arguments to support mediocrity.

Stupid Old fool like you.

If you can't respect yourself by being civil, you should just shut your trap.

ROSSIKE:

My friend please stop talking rubbish. When Jay Jay was at Fenebache - arguably at his prime - he scored 32 goals in 60 games. For a midfielder that is SPECTACULAR. And that is not the statistic of someone who ''just wants to entertain''. It was even when he went to Paris St Germain later on that he had problems with the coach who played him out of position (such as on the wings, believe it or not), he was unhappy, and his goal tally dropped. If he was European or Brazilian he would have been treated much better.

44 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nostradamus: 1:59am On Oct 18, 2014
otipoju:

my man,you just made my day with this breathtaking analysis.God bless you
Apart from these Okocha with all his skills had a preference for teams where he would be without a credible rival and so command the number ten Jersey.

His best years as a complete team oriented, match winning focused footballer was at Bolton where he had a knack for tormenting the big teams with his artistry and almost became the African footballer of the year at that time.

Nevertheless I prefer Kanu Nwankwo... His skills and mien on the ball were simply sublime. Unforced, Unhurried,and magical... Kanu did things no other player could imagine.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by ednut1(m): 5:25am On Oct 18, 2014
jay okoch won no trophy in his club career. he was a skillful average player

19 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 18, 2014
otipoju:

Football is not about jst skills, Yaya is an african with no dribbling skill, still he is highly recognized by the world, Eto is a cameroonian nd he is d one of the europe's most prolific footballer, whats the essence of having all those skills and you cant lead a team to a single trophy all his career

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by tuffgongjo(m): 10:52am On Oct 18, 2014
Okocha would have been one of the best if he wasn't after money mainly,he shouldn't have moved to Turkey so early in his career$playing to d gallery with no much ambition is his bane.

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by tuffgongjo(m): 10:52am On Oct 18, 2014
Okocha would have been one of the best if he wasn't after money mainly,he shouldn't have moved to Turkey so early in his career$playing to d gallery with no much ambition is his bane.
But he wasn't over hyped.

7 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by nationwide1(m): 11:14am On Oct 18, 2014
toecyne:
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped
If you are honest with your write up, it means you've never played football or you know very little about the game artistry and techniques. Or are you more knowledgeable in football than Pele?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by nationwide1(m): 11:14am On Oct 18, 2014
toecyne:

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by ndidibabe(f): 11:56am On Oct 18, 2014
otipoju:
You must be a fool to call my analysis rubish. When he went to Fernebache, was the turkish leauge not a backwater leauge. Does this not align with what I said about his not being ambitious.

Tell me where the worlds greatest players are found. Do you find them at Bolton, Frankfurt, Fenerbache?

Gorge Weah a liberian from Black Africa was World best and Europe best playing for AC Milan.

Eto Samuel exploits at Barcelona will never be forgotten in Europe. So quit the " its because he is a blackman" crutches that you used to support your handicapped arguments to support mediocrity.

Stupid Old fool like you.

If you can't respect yourself by being civil, you should just shut your trap.

Will you keep your dirty mouth shut? So because Mikel plays for Chelsea makes him a better player than Okocha in his days? ''Jay Jay Okocha is so good that they named him twice''- a statement by an English Football commentator. I doubt if there is any present Nigerian Player that can be given such accolade. Comparing a Chelsea Bench warmer to a former Bolton captain is an insult of the highest order.

88 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by ednut1(m): 12:17pm On Oct 18, 2014
ndidibabe:
Will you keep your dirty mouth shut? So because Mikel plays for Chelsea makes him a better player than Okocha in his days? ''Jay Jay Okocha is so good that they named him twice''- a statement by an English Football commentator. I doubt if there is any present Nigerian Player that can be given such accolade. Comparing a Chelsea Bench warmer to a former Bolton captain is an insult of the highest order.
what is this one saying. okocha was an average player

4 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Iceg(m): 12:20pm On Oct 18, 2014
toecyne:

Totally agree wit u....ppl always say okocha taught ronaldinho how to play.....To me hes jst an overhyped player who jst knew how to do the rainbow flicks and the stepovers.....he wasnt african footballer once in his career,,and some ignorant ppl compare him to the likes of eto'o ,,if he was so good as nigerians portray ,why didnt the likes of man u,madrid,barca,chelsea,and oder top clubs come callin 4 him,,or you tink thoes clubs dont go 4 d best......he was a good player....but ppl should mind the type of worldclass players dy compare him to.

9 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 18, 2014
ndidibabe:
Please list the personal and club achievement he has that people like Wilfred bony, Solomon kalou(ivory coast), Sessegnon of Benin have not surpassed. Drogba led chelsea to a champions league trophy, Eto scored in 2 uefa champions league finals and won three UCL, yaya toure controlled the flow of man city and led them to 2 premier league titles, all africans.Please who did okocha lead ?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 18, 2014
list the personal and club achievement he has that people like Wilfred bony, Solomon kalou(ivory coast), Sessegnon of Benin have not surpassed.
Drogba led chelsea to a champions league trophy, Eto scored in 2 uefa champions league finals and won three UCL, yaya toure controlled the flow of man city and led them to 2 premier league titles, all africans.Please who did okocha lead ?

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Debroslink: 2:43pm On Oct 18, 2014
Iceg:

Totally agree wit u....ppl always say okocha taught ronaldinho how to play.....To me hes jst an overhyped player who jst knew how to do the rainbow flicks and the stepovers.....he wasnt african footballer once in his career,,and some ignorant ppl compare him to the likes of eto'o ,,if he was so good as nigerians portray ,why didnt the likes of man u,madrid,barca,chelsea,and oder top clubs come callin 4 him,,or you tink thoes clubs dont go 4 d best......he was a good player....but ppl should mind the type of worldclass players dy compare him to.

May God bless you. Amunike benched 20 years old Rivaldo at Barcelona, Guily benched 17 years old Messi, Giggs benched 20 years old C.Ronaldo, yet no one is saying the trash some peeps are saying just because Okocha benched 20 years old Ronaldinho.

Okocha and Denilson of Brazil are the same. All skills, no substance. We all agree Kanu was slow, yet he was full of substance. He led Nigeria to Olympic gold, won u17, and won numerous titles for Arsenal.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by otipoju(m): 7:44pm On Oct 18, 2014
Good and great are not the same thing.

Okocha is a very skillfull player no doubt but is he a great player? No why because he did not amass club trophies and personal laurels.

Why did he not do so? because in spite of his outstanding skills he avoided the big teams preferring midtable clubs where he could just play regularly for good money.

That was his personal choice and I do not have anything against it.

The great players plied their trades with the biggest clubs where they win trophies and personal honours.

The way some morons reason on this forum is irritating to say the least. Displaying their inability to comprehend simple words.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by otipoju(m): 7:56pm On Oct 18, 2014
ndidibabe:

You just feel like vomiting. I dont blame you cause you cant think straight. Who mentioned mikel among great players here. After you have finished displaying your stupidity you can crawl back into the hole that you came from.

5 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 18, 2014
otipoju:

DUNCE, the Turkish league was no more 'backwater' then that it is now. And you seem to think a player can just get up and go play for Madrid or AC Milan of their own accord, to be talking rubbish about Okocha lacking ''ambition''.

DUNCE, why was Okocha listed among the 125 greatest players on earth by none other than Pele? Do you think you know more about football than Pele? A three times World Cup winner and greatest footballer in history? Unlike a DUNCE like you, Pele does not rate a player based on what club he plays for. His football brain is far superior to such unsophisticated, bushman thinking. Learn from him Olodo.

Eto Samuel exploits at Barcelona will never be forgotten in Europe.

Those are not playmakers. The pivotal, prestigious No 10 attacking midfield role was NOT considered suitable for a NIGERIAN player at the 'big clubs' in Jay Jay's era. There is politics in football. But you're far too dumb, trusting and naive to see it.

So quit the " its because he is a blackman" crutches that you used to support your handicapped arguments to support mediocrity.

Look at the nasty, worthless mouth you're using to call Jay Jay Okocha 'mediocre'. It's not your fault. I blame free internet access from cheap Chinese phones.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by otipoju(m): 9:39pm On Oct 18, 2014
ROSSIKE:

DUNCE, the Turkish league was no more 'backwater' then that it is now. And you seem to think a player can just get up and go play for Madrid or AC Milan of their own accord, to be talking rubbish about Okocha lacking ''ambition''

DUNCE, why was Okocha listed among the 125 greatest players on earth by none other than Pele? Do you think you know more about football than Pele? A three times World Cup winner and greatest footballer in history? Unlike a DUNCE like you, Pele does not rate a player based on what club he plays for. His football brain is far superior to such unsophisticated, bushman thinking. Learn from him Olodo.

Those are not playmakers. The pivotal, prestigious No 10 attacking midfield role was NOT considered suitable for a NIGERIAN player at the 'big clubs' in Jay Jay's era. There is politics in football. But you're far too dumb, trusting and naive to see it.

Look at the nasty, worthless mouth you're using to call Jay Jay Okocha 'mediocre'. It's not your fault. I blame free internet access from cheap Chinese phones.

i was waiting for your reply. I know that it takes a long time for your shallow brain to boot.

so many fallacies AND Sophistries in your argument.I will not fall for it.

1.Appeal to Authority...

Pele sees Okocha as great.So what, it is his own personal opinion. it does not mean that he can reason well. First check the meaning of greatness to understand what is being talked about. Okocha is very very skillfull player and i have reiterated it severally, but is he great? Nooooo. Why, he did not amass any trophies, broke any records or personal honours that set him apart from the pack. Besides what skill did Okocha have that we have not seen from "great players" like Ronaldo Delima, Zidane, Figo, Maradona,Roberto Baggio, Rui Costa et al who combined extraodinary skills with winning trophies and personal awards and achievements here and there.

2.Begging the question.

Where in this whole argument did the issue of playmaker come in.. what exactly is your point? that greatness is restricted to playmakers and therefore great strikers like Filipo Inzaghi, great defenders like Paulo Maldini and goalkeepers like Oliver Khan and Peter Scmiechel who did not have the skills of Okocha but did what they did extraordinarily well and won trophies for top clubs do not count? Daft Old man..... your stupidity or senility on display again.

3. Poisoning the well.

No where in my post did i call Okocha mediocre, he has achieved his aims...play regularly, enjoy football, entertain the fans and make good money in the process...Being world best or achieving greatness was not on his agenda...until he saw the light later in his career and by then age was no longer on his side. He had a fantastic career.It is your brain that i was referring to as mediocre because you do not know how to reason. Your thought process is disjointed and it is therefor mediocre.

4.Appeal to Probability.

You concluded that I use a Cheap china phone which to you represents poverty...which also translates into the the deduction that it is responsible for an inability to think properly. Well i will not be dragged to your level.Those who use China phones are grateful that they have them. And please what has using a China phone from Asia just like Samsung ,Lenovo or LG got to do with the ability to construct a sound argument and articulate your view point cohesively...Mr Rich man,some people like you are so poor that all they have is money.

5.Red Herring

Yes there is politics in football...just like in religion, work and every facet of life. But it did not stop Chelsea and Man United to fight to the death over the potential for greatness that they so in Mikel Obi as a green horn,nor did it stop Manchester City from snapping up Kelechi Iheanacho or Emmanuel Amuneke from playing for Barcelona, Sunday Oliseh from playing for Juventus or Finidi from winning the champions league with Ajax in its hey deys nor Taribo West from turning out for Inter Milan.Nor Kanu from playing for Arsenal and winning the FA Cup with Portsmouth. Wether you are black ,blue or red, the truly great clubs will come for you if they believe you will add value to them...

Okocha shied away from them in spite of his immense talents because what was uppermost in his mind was a regular shirt,enjoying himself and entertaining his fans while making cool money in the process.

If you can provide superior arguments to counter my position, please do so because i am not impressed with the shallow, confused and disjointed thinking of a retarded person that you are spitting out.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 18, 2014
otipoju:

i was waiting for your reply. I know that it takes a long time for your shallow brain to boot.

so many fallacies AND Sophistries in your argument.I will not fall for it.

1.Appeal to Authority...

Pele sees Okocha as great.So what, it is his own personal opinion. it does not mean that he can reason well.

PELE KNOWS 100,000 TIMES MORE THAN YOU ABOUT WHAT MAKES A GREAT FOOTBALLER. He played alongside the likes of Jairzinho, Rivelino, Tostao, and Carlos Alberto. These are some of the greatest talents to have ever graced the game. Pele considers Okocha among the world's top 125 living players. The Brazilian coach, Mario Zagallo, who played alongside Pele, Garrincha, Vava, and Didi, and is credited with popularizing the bicycle kick ''shangallo'' in his heyday, ran across the pitch to salute Jay Jay Okocha after their game against Nigeria in Abuja in 2003, (some reports said he knelt and wiped Okocha's boots), saying that Okocha must be a Brazilian not a Nigerian. Now, YOU are a little kld who has probably NEVER heard of Zagallo, but these are the creme de la creme of football we're talking about. Football royalty. DO YOU THINK OKOCHA WOULD NOT HAVE STARTED IN ZAGALLO'S SIDE HAD HE BEEN BRAZILIAN? 100% definitely. SO WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT? ZAGALLO CLEARLY WISHED HE HAD JAY JAY IN HIS SIDE. SO YES, JAY JAY WAS A GREAT PLAYER. HE WAS A MASSIVE PLAYER. JUST LIKE PELE, IF THE GREAT ZAGALLO SAYS YOU ARE A GREAT PLAYER, YOU ARE A GREAT PLAYER.

Okocha shied away from them in spite of his immense talents because what was uppermost in his mind was a regular shirt,enjoying himself and entertaining his fans while making cool money in the process.

PROVE THAT JAY JAY ''shied away'' from the 'big clubs'. Do you even know how offers and transactions are made with regard to player transfers? Show us where Jay Jay was offered a deal by a major club and he refused or STFU.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by buskie13(m): 10:56pm On Oct 18, 2014
toecyne:

mind you....with all de successful African players u listed....can't ur brain decipher they're all French?
Okocha never won African best player because of the presidency of CAF....I guess u know him as a French colony....

5 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by abatically(m): 10:59pm On Oct 18, 2014
ndidibabe:

So good and they named him twice.... Playing for BOLTON WANDERERS. Trust me if he was that good then the world's big clubs would tussle for his signature. Great entertainer though, but not in the league of kanu nwankwo, Samuel etoo, George weah.

4 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by abatically(m): 11:09pm On Oct 18, 2014
buskie13:
mind you....with all de successful African players u listed....can't ur brain decipher they're all French?
Okocha never won African best player because of the presidency of CAF....I guess u know him as a French colony....

I guess Victor ikpeba, rashidi yekini, kanu nwankwo and George weah are also French.

10 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:25pm On Oct 18, 2014
Okocha was a good player, but was not amog the world's best. He won next to nothing and didn't distinguish himself at the highest levels of the game, and seemed more obsessed with showboating than making the right decisions. And no, irrespective of what "Pele said", Okocha is nowhere near the top 100 players. I liked Okocha. I think Nigeria currently lacks a playmaker of his technical ability who can put his foot on the ball and control the game. But he's overrated by Nigerians because he could pull off fancy tricks and flicks. There are many players like that playing in the domestic Brazilian and South American leagues. Modern era top class European influenced football needs morethan Okoch offered at the highest level.

5 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by buskie13(m): 11:30pm On Oct 18, 2014
abatically:

I guess Victor ikpeba, rashidi yekini, kanu nwankwo and George weah are also French.
u don't really get my point....... during Jay Jay's time....it was either Eto'o or Drogba he has to contend with.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Meet Joel Obi's Wife And Son (Photos) / Sunday Oliseh To Emerge As Nigeria's New Coach - BBC Sport / Moses Ruled Out Of 2018 World Cup Over Injury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.