Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,483 members, 7,808,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Okocha Annoying Hype - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha Annoying Hype (55242 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? / Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Waspy(m): 2:09pm On Oct 19, 2014
He was actually underrated. wink

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Johnnoo(m): 2:10pm On Oct 19, 2014
@toecyne; when did you start watching football I believe the answer will make you understand the obvious distinction between 80's, 90's and contemporary football trends.

He's not overhyped, Jayjay Okocha is a Legend. BBC has even acknowledged that several times.

4 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by ShakurM(m): 2:11pm On Oct 19, 2014
otipoju:

i was waiting for your reply. I know that it takes a long time for your shallow brain to boot.

so many fallacies AND Sophistries in your argument.I will not fall for it.

1.Appeal to Authority...

Pele sees Okocha as great.So what, it is his own personal opinion. it does not mean that he can reason well. First check the meaning of greatness to understand what is being talked about. Okocha is very very skillfull player and i have reiterated it severally, but is he great? Nooooo. Why, he did not amass any trophies, broke any records or personal honours that set him apart from the pack. Besides what skill did Okocha have that we have not seen from "great players" like Ronaldo Delima, Zidane, Figo, Maradona,Roberto Baggio, Rui Costa et al who combined extraodinary skills with winning trophies and personal awards and achievements here and there.

2.Begging the question.

Where in this whole argument did the issue of playmaker come in.. what exactly is your point? that greatness is restricted to playmakers and therefore great strikers like Filipo Inzaghi, great defenders like Paulo Maldini and goalkeepers like Oliver Khan and Peter Scmiechel who did not have the skills of Okocha but did what they did extraordinarily well and won trophies for top clubs do not count? Daft Old man..... your stupidity or senility on display again.

3. Poisoning the well.

No where in my post did i call Okocha mediocre, he has achieved his aims...play regularly, enjoy football, entertain the fans and make good money in the process...Being world best or achieving greatness was not on his agenda...until he saw the light later in his career and by then age was no longer on his side. He had a fantastic career.It is your brain that i was referring to as mediocre because you do not know how to reason. Your thought process is disjointed and it is therefor mediocre.

4.Appeal to Probability.

You concluded that I use a Cheap china phone which to you represents poverty...which also translates into the the deduction that it is responsible for an inability to think properly. Well i will not be dragged to your level.Those who use China phones are grateful that they have them. And please what has using a China phone from Asia just like Samsung ,Lenovo or LG got to do with the ability to construct a sound argument and articulate your view point cohesively...Mr Rich man,some people like you are so poor that all they have is money.

5.Red Herring

Yes there is politics in football...just like in religion, work and every facet of life. But it did not stop Chelsea and Man United to fight to the death over the potential for greatness that they so in Mikel Obi as a green horn,nor did it stop Manchester City from snapping up Kelechi Iheanacho or Emmanuel Amuneke from playing for Barcelona, Sunday Oliseh from playing for Juventus or Finidi from winning the champions league with Ajax in its hey deys nor Taribo West from turning out for Inter Milan.Nor Kanu from playing for Arsenal and winning the FA Cup with Portsmouth. Wether you are black ,blue or red, the truly great clubs will come for you if they believe you will add value to them...

Okocha shied away from them in spite of his immense talents because what was uppermost in his mind was a regular shirt,enjoying himself and entertaining his fans while making cool money in the process.

If you can provide superior arguments to counter my position, please do so because i am not impressed with the shallow, confused and disjointed thinking of a retarded person that you are spitting out.
I was liking ur points but how dare you type that a whole Pele can't reason well in his own field. C'mon man!!

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
God bless dz op.....

Iyz annoying wen I hear ppl say some tinz....

Comparing okocha to dinho.....
Some tinz d vex pason...

Okocha was just an average player...
No big club wanted him self

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by rashygenius: 2:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
Kog45:
Pls stop disturbing yourself,they will never agreed with you bcs they dont know basic things about football than to watch.Pls ask them this simple question,who is the successful player btw ordinary Mikel and magician Okocha?they will started talking thrash.
Obviously..Mikel is more sucessful but u can neva compare Okochas' Impact in a team to Mikels own
....Okocha single handedly brut out bolton wanderers 4rm relegation zone to a safe zone.what has Mikel contributed to chelsea?...2goals in over 150Matches.ehn?answer me,yeye man

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by dotcomnamename: 2:14pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped

[size=30pt]@ Op, Why don't you slip into something more comfortable, like a coma?

Are you always this silly or are you just making a special effort to be?[/size]

Jay Jay Okocha the unlucky dribbling wizard.

5 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by kuderrich: 2:14pm On Oct 19, 2014
@op hw old are u? If u had bn born wen okocha was rily okocha u wudnt b saying all dis.mcheeeeew

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by aguizm(m): 2:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
A beg oooo I use amadioha beg u too(rossike and otipoju )make una no stoppp the argument because u both are making the thread lively with good analysis.Oya make una CONTINU

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by eleko1: 2:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
Go sidon for one place.I believe U mean to type MIKEL instead of Okocha
toecyne:
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by jmoore(m): 2:15pm On Oct 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFJQ7dgUn8

"Okocha on the other hand was so enterprising in the friendly 3-0 loss against the Brazilians in Abuja some years back that their great coach Mario Zagalo was chasing Jay Jay with the Brazilian No10 jersey after the game to commend him for a job well done." - See more at: http://www.sportsdayonline.com/news.aspx?lb_newsid=6895#sthash.taAgyvfa.dpuf

4 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by onatisi(m): 2:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:

over hyped by who?the people that paid him millions of dollars for his football skills ?someone who played football to the highest level,someone who was recognised as a great football talents by pele and other great players is who u called overhyped?

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Amadaz(m): 2:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
All u Jay Jay critics pls locate the nearest power transformer and briefly get intimate with it. TEAM JAY JAY OKOCHA we got nothing but love for him.

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by CarterDavid30(m): 2:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
Seriously, Okocha came to this world to play good football,make good money. He achieved these and retired. We are the ones giving ourselves unnecessary headache.[color=#990000][/color]

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by tolustx(m): 2:17pm On Oct 19, 2014
I dnt see d need for dis thread. It's merely gonna breed strife and quarrels. Either Okocha was d best or not, his tym is past. If u were to be discussing a a player still in d field, would ve made better sense.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 19, 2014
ShakurM:
I was liking ur points but how dare you type that a whole Pele can't reason well in his own field. C'mon man!!

With all due respect have u heard Pele talk recently.......
D guy z not dt bright u know
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Roon9(m): 2:18pm On Oct 19, 2014
ROSSIKE:

DUNCE, the Turkish league was no more 'backwater' then that it is now. And you seem to think a player can just get up and go play for Madrid or AC Milan of their own accord, to be talking rubbish about Okocha lacking ''ambition''.

DUNCE, why was Okocha listed among the 125 greatest players on earth by none other than Pele? Do you think you know more about football than Pele? A three times World Cup winner and greatest footballer in history? Unlike a DUNCE like you, Pele does not rate a player based on what club he plays for. His football brain is far superior to such unsophisticated, bushman thinking. Learn from him Olodo.

Those are not playmakers. The pivotal, prestigious No 10 attacking midfield role was NOT considered suitable for a NIGERIAN player at the 'big clubs' in Jay Jay's era. There is politics in football. But you're far too dumb, trusting and naive to see it.

Look at the nasty, worthless mouth you're using to call Jay Jay Okocha 'mediocre'. It's not your fault. I blame free internet access from cheap Chinese phones.

Rather than bash people give logical points why you think jj isn't overhyped. Growing up jay jay was the best thing iun football to me but in retrospect I now see he was just a show booter and massively overhyped.

Last bullet: ratings and speeches made by pele shud never be taking seriously. That man is the most biased and unproffesional veteran in d round leather game!

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by greall1: 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2014
%80 african like okocha if u travel out of d country Okocha is among 1 to 3rd Nigeria players will first mention if football lover know dat u are from Nigeria.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by WoodcrestMayor(m): 2:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
Bros,wen it comes to tricks,none dat you mentioned are close to Okocha.I can even manage dem if u insist but I no gree say Figo skillful reach Jay jay.All those guys made tinz happen for their teams.Playmaking/scoring.
Tricks came naturally to Okocha smiley
otipoju:

Besides what skill did Okocha have that we have not seen from "great players" like Ronaldo Delima, Zidane, Figo, Maradona,Roberto Baggio, Rui Costa et al who combined extraodinary skills with winning trophies and personal awards and achievements here and there.

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Niyinficient(m): 2:26pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:

Pple like dis shud be taken to yaba left in lagos, or Uselu left in Benin or Aro left in abeokuta...for check up or rather his brain shud be formatted and thereafter, he shud be given clips of jay jay in his hay days to watch cos obviously dis tin talking has no clue abt football skills and techniques!

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sammoe(m): 2:26pm On Oct 19, 2014
otipoju:
Good and great are not the same thing.

Okocha is a very skillfull player no doubt but is he a great player? No why because he did not amass club trophies and personal laurels.

Why did he not do so? because in spite of his outstanding skills he avoided the big teams preferring midtable clubs where he could just play regularly for good money.

That was his personal choice and I do not have anything against it.

The great players plied their trades with the biggest clubs where they win trophies and personal honours.

The way some morons reason on this forum is irritating to say the least. Displaying their inability to comprehend simple words.

Since you've written my mind, I comment my reserve!
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by rashygenius: 2:27pm On Oct 19, 2014
abatically:

U should already know here on nairaland some people argue without solid facts, their only weapon is to curse. You have made ur points and the reasonable ones here fully understand and agree with u.
D REASONABLE ONES...Are u part of dem
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by IyfeNamikaze(m): 2:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
otipoju:
Good and great are not the same thing.

Okocha is a very skillfull player no doubt but is he a great player? No why because he did not amass club trophies and personal laurels.

Why did he not do so? because in spite of his outstanding skills he avoided the big teams preferring midtable clubs where he could just play regularly for good money.

That was his personal choice and I do not have anything against it.

The great players plied their trades with the biggest clubs where they win trophies and personal honours.

The way some morons reason on this forum is irritating to say the least. Displaying their inability to comprehend simple words.

okocha led Bolton to a sixth place finish in 2005 which earned them their 1st uefa qualification in the club history.
united actually came for okocha but allydice wasn't willing to sell his talisman.

please try and get your facts right! okocha won Nigeria's only Olympic soccer gold, silver in CAF player of the year, silver in CAF nations cup, 2 bronze in CAF. and MVP in nations cup.

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by maximilano: 2:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
well that's ur opinion, and we are all entitled to our opinion.
Thierry Henry once said Jay Jay Okocha is among the class of footballers he could pay to watch.
And I want u to know that football wasn't as widely watched and well funded during his active days, all those you mentioned were of a later generation. If Jay Jay were to be playing now he would be amongst the best.

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sarutobie(m): 2:31pm On Oct 19, 2014
Anyone who says okocha was overhyped was still a toddler when he captained Bolton in topflight English football...even Campo began imitating okocha's movement and passing technique on the pitch..be mindful that campo played in madrid before coming to Bolton...yes he was that good..up until now, we still dont have a decent free kick taker in the super eagles! not even from the successful 'mikels of today'...it might be argued that he lacked the hunger and drive like c.ronaldo or drogba for example, but his football mastery can never be questione..one of the few nigerian players who just loved playing the game for the love of it..

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by thrugemaster(m): 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
Mikel has won more premier league than Steven Gerrard. Is Mikel a better player?

7 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Brianino(m): 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
Iceg:

Totally agree wit u....ppl always say okocha taught ronaldinho how to play.....To me hes jst an overhyped player who jst knew how to do the rainbow flicks and the stepovers.....he wasnt african footballer once in his career,,and some ignorant ppl compare him to the likes of eto'o ,,if he was so good as nigerians portray ,why didnt the likes of man u,madrid,barca,chelsea,and oder top clubs come callin 4 him,,or you tink thoes clubs dont go 4 d best......he was a good player....but ppl should mind the type of worldclass players dy compare him to.
...common shut dt ya dirty fangs...use ya outdated sense of reasoning pls..I HAVE A QUESTION 4 U..cud samuel eto'o play 4 bolton and win d african player of d year??ABSOLUTE NO..jst lyk benny mccarthy won two european cupz bt neva won d african best shws u hw playin 4 a bigger club matters..viz eto@r.madrid,barca,inter...yea..okocha preferred playin 4 a strugglin team 2 a bigteam cuz he believed in raisin d team frm mediocrity 2 d Elite and claim stardom..wich he did e.g bolton wer regular top6 contenders bt due 2 d lack of talent arnd him he suffered..shwin he wasnt dt wise..bt HONOURABLE IF THERES A PLAYER DT CAN DO MAGIC INSIDE A FOOTBALL PITCH ITS J.J.OKOCHA@GENIUS

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Ately: 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
@op who give u permision to post.... Abeg pursue ur mate inside gurter grin

#abeg who. Rice. For house cus I dea hung cheesy

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by MrNiceGuy5: 2:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
victorix:
op, i have never heard someone say "okocha is the best player ever". He was jst one of the best nigerian player of his time. Dont forget his awesome dribbling and passing skills.

I woud say, okocha was jst unlucky.
You just spoke my mind - Oko was just unlucky but no doubt , he is one of african finest player of his time

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by iconize(m): 2:35pm On Oct 19, 2014
initialize:
I support

Although Wilson Oruma didn't make it to the big leagues, I still rated him more than Jay Jay Okocha....

Football is a team game. If players like Jay Jay Okocha want to take individual glory, he should have careered in Lawn Tennis or Golf.

I pray Kelechi Iheanacho wouldn't go in the path of Oruma.

Oruma was a good player, no doubt, but rating him above Okocha is dumbness.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by abatically(m): 2:35pm On Oct 19, 2014
Okocha was a great player, no disputing that. But he was never in the league of George weah, abedi pele, kanu nwankwo, Samuel etoo, Didier drogba, or even Victor ikpeba and Freddie kanoute. These are players that played at the highest level and won things for their teams. Okocha is still probably one of the best dribblers the world have seen, but he was more of a show off than actually helping his team to glory. I know some will say Cristiano ronaldo also shows off, but cr7 has his goals and honors to back that up.

Okocha was seen as the world's biggest teams as an unserious player, that is why no big team came for him. The humiliation of Oliver Khan and 3 defenders was absolutely unnecessary. Trust me if he was that good then the biggest teams would break the bank to sign him. Okocha only got serious in his twilight age when he joined bolton, but then it was already too late. Great player no doubt, but still not in the league of kanu nwankwo.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by watchindelta(m): 2:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
as for me any player who can control the ball and come join am with a killer passes is a very very good player. even if he no carry any trophy! okocha is one of the best player in the world.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by WoodcrestMayor(m): 2:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
Was Alan Shearer a great player?

If u answered "yes",Okocha was great too.

If u answered "No"...there's a problem sumwhere cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Asisat Oshoala's Mother Poses Proudly With Her Daughter's Glo CAF Award. Photos / Meet Joel Obi's Wife And Son (Photos) / Sunday Oliseh To Emerge As Nigeria's New Coach - BBC Sport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.