Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Okocha Annoying Hype - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha Annoying Hype (55240 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? / Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
daey118:

Nope. I disagree. The niqqah' was a "God" that was intensely feared by every defence line. He was that one player that Could determine if his team won or lost. Once he wants to cut players. Destiny? Nobody can rescue him. Even if the ref. Blows for hlf time.the player go first. Chop am before he her whistle .That guy (to me) had the ability to decide how many goals he wanted to score in a match and he would do it even if he wanted to score ten. All of you'll open your mouth and say "haaaaa.its not possible" then I'll ask. Who is the defender or keeper that'll stop him from scoring the 10 ?? He has wasted the strongest defenders and even washed one of the finest goalies "khan" with all sort of soaps(why he never used his super powers? Is a question for the man to answer) Well! I don't know much about football analysis now but I'm gonna ask. Please .what makes an individual a great player ? Skills or trophies ? Is mikel to be rated higher than Jay my nigah ? Football now sef is just "gra gra" after okocha and ronaldinho .zidane. and *head bows* uncle DelimaRonaldo(the phenomenon) . There's really notin much left .than 22men grown men chasing one innocent leather ball like it owed them money undecided #JustSaying.

You made sense.
Awesome opinion.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 9:10pm On Oct 19, 2014
abatically:

Very correct. The most exciting player to watch out of Africa, but definitely not The most effective, and definitely not the most exciting to watch in the rest of the world. Ronaldinho, messi, ronaldo, Roberto baggio, rivaldo, etc are also exciting to watch but they surpass Okocha because they are also effective.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by otipoju(m): 9:11pm On Oct 19, 2014
forray:
dude ur argument is seriously flawed, like u said in one of ur earlier post that pele is entitled to his opinion, I believe this is ur own opinion. But u sound as if u are trying to push it down everybody throat who has a different opinion. And I believe we can have a constructive argument without this unnecessary insult. Back to d topic, u said trophies won is ur standard for measuring greatness, let's take pedro of barca for example who has won lots of trophy with dem and playing for one of the best club. No true football fan will ever say pedro is more of a greater player dan okocha, infact its an insult to put both player name is d same sentence. What am tryin to say is that been great in football has alot involve and there is know way jay jay can ever been just an ordinary play. If he is ordinary, y is it we hvnt be able to find anybody to fill is boots in our national team for how long now? Incase u hv forgot what he is all abt try look for best of okocha and tell me how many ordinary play cn do what he does. Cheers

Respect man. Na the guy find my trouble. And I just showed him what let him have a taste of how feels to insult people needlessly.

Pele has his opinion
You have yours and I have mine.

For a player to be considered great, he has to be talented,play at the top clubs, and win major trophies and personal honours consistently by achieving extraordinary feats.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Bluffly: 9:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
otipoju:
Good and great are not the same thing.

Okocha is a very skillfull player no doubt but is he a great player? No why because he did not amass club trophies and personal laurels.

Why did he not do so? because in spite of his outstanding skills he avoided the big teams preferring midtable clubs where he could just play regularly for good money.

That was his personal choice and I do not have anything against it.

The great players plied their trades with the biggest clubs where they win trophies and personal honours.

The way some morons reason on this forum is irritating to say the least. Displaying their inability to comprehend simple words.

Good reasoning
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by daey118(m): 9:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
oladosuphemmy:
Okocha is no where near nigerian's g8est
Player dt won zero trophies and zero individual acolade.
Evn b4 he retired We question his commitment to d national team.
Stats were so much against him.
In football, so fa ure playing centralmidfield, wings, a PLAYMAKER, or a striker to be categorised as a great player d numbers must speak for u.
Ronaidinho, messi, iniesta,xavi, pirlo,figo, snieder, gerrard, lampard, toure yaya, schwientiger, etc r all gr8 PLAYMAKER . okocha ws also a playmaker but he is never to be compared to those players.
You might wanna argue dat its because he is an african dats y he nt so much recognised players like nwanko kanu won d ucl with ajax, is goal scoring record ws gr8, he played 4 very good clubs (ajax, arsenal intermillan), rash1idi yekini: he is still d Nigeria's all tym goalscorer, vctor ikpeba(d prince of monaco), Drogba:wat cn i say, one of d best players to comeout of africa. he ws playing 4 marselle b/4 his talent spotted by chelsea.Yaya toure:former asec mimosa plyer, plyed 4 barca and he is currently a top performer @manc now world clz.
Samuel etoo: world class striker in his days played 4 Real mad., barca and chelsea.
Dese r all world clz plyers, dat deir talent wz recognized by top teams inspite of been an african.
Naaa. As to why big clubs didn't get him?? I like to think of it as .okocha was raw. No displine .nothing.... Just a man who wanted to play football. Either for kano pillars or r.madrid. He. Just wnted to play and get paid. Now. In terms of individual skills .would. You say okocha doesn't match up to the likes of xavi .iniesta .I can forgive you if you say he doesn't match pirlo obviously...but the reaallly... See balotelli. Everybody knows what he can do . But he isn't just "there" for no reason at all. Okocha was just unlucky.. At least balo's getting "his last chance" at liverpool.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by daey118(m): 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2014
All of you hating on okocha need to watch "hs best of okocha" now go and watch "best of mikel" if e even hs best sef.... Then you'll state clearly how a player with trophies is "greater" than a player with raw unadulterated talent. Who's only crime was wanting to entertain us watching...smh. Let us not forget. #LordHaveMercy
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by oladosuphemmy: 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
Okocha is no where near nigeria's g8est
Player dt won zero trophies and zero individual acolade.
Evn b4 he retired We question his commitment to d national team.
Stats were so much against him.
In football, so fa ure playing centralmidfield, wings, a PLAYMAKER, or a striker to be categorised as a great player d numbers must speak for u.
Ronaidinho, messi, iniesta,xavi, pirlo,figo, snieder, gerrard, lampard, toure yaya, schwientiger, etc r all gr8 PLAYMAKER . okocha ws also a playmaker but he is never to be compared to those players.
You might wanna argue dat its because he is an african dats y he nt so much recognised players like nwanko kanu won d ucl with ajax, is goal scoring record ws gr8, he played 4 very good clubs (ajax, arsenal intermillan), rash1idi yekini: he is still d Nigeria's all tym goalscorer, vctor qa(d prince of monaco), Drogba:wat cn i say, one of d best players to comeout of africa. he ws playing 4 marselle b/4 his talent spotted by chelsea.Yaya toure:former asec mimosa plyer, plyed 4 barca and he is currently a top performer @manc now world clz.
Samuel etoo: world class striker in his days played 4 Real mad., barca and chelsea.
Dese r all world clz plyers, dat deir talent wz recognized by top teams inspite of been an african.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by talk2riel: 9:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
PSG is big club and okocha was the most expensive african footballer when he moved there. If he wasn't that good PSG no go sign am.

The Great ronaldinho was an understudy of jay jay.

Why nigerians like hating there own

I WON'T BE SUPRISED IF SOMEONE START HATING ON MIKEL TOMORROW

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by buskie13(m): 9:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
sunnyp20:
was george weah french?
this is where i stand to be corrected....but the French speaking nations have a better chance of clinching de title

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by okonja(m): 9:53pm On Oct 19, 2014
xtripple:
.j
but its none of your business how much I sell....Would i sell without making my own profitable? Abi which kind bad belle you be?... undecided
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by billyG(m): 9:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
may be d fool meant 2 say mikel obi waz overhyped.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by daey118(m): 9:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
I think. Iam done defending jay jay mah niqqah... Yu'all need to go watch "best of okocha" clips. 50thousand naira says . Your mouth'll open and say he's undoubtedly GREAT" even without your brain realising it #InvoluntaryMovement. A man that single handedly lifted a club. A man that breezed past the best defence line ups like jesus walked on water .a man. That was every manager's nightmare to play against simply because they didn't have any idea on how to contain him. A man that dribbled from one end of the pitch to another that the ref had to use style to give him yellow card. A man who could end any great defender's career in less thn 5 seconds. A man who's movements were so liquid you could feel them flow out of your eyes. He's game was smooth like poetry#literally.. Until he fires the ball up or makes the wrong pass. You never want to blink when you're watching him cos you might miss a whole year of entertainment if yu dare. And now some people now open their mouths and say he's not "great" just becos he chose to entertain you . Great. Una Well Done. Good. Luck with your mikel o. Since he's greater than okocha becos he has more trophies..
#GodBlessYouAll

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by OboloMAN: 9:58pm On Oct 19, 2014
talk2riel:
PSG is big club and okocha was the most expensive african footballer when he moved there. If he wasn't that good PSG no go sign am.

The Great ronaldinho was an understudy of jay jay.

Why nigerians like hating there own

I WON'T BE SUPRISED IF SOMEONE START HATING ON MIKEL TOMORROW

Guy ...Pls remove MIKEL Out of this...

Sure Okocha is the Greatest No 10 ever on African Soil.

ASK Oliver Khan... He can tell u better.

Pls You All Should go download Best of Okocha from Youtube and read d comments there.

Even the Whites Acknowledge this Great No.10

Till my Kids grow up to play football if they Wish in the future. . Okocha remains the Greatest No.10 in Africa
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by andyanders: 10:00pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped

Complete fool you are.When your father never EVER achieved anything in his life time. When poverty has bedridden your generation and you are here talking about a family man who never had issues with you.Why saying that Okocha is just over hyped?
Are you from this same village with him? Why talking of this when this man is out of football and settled as a married man with family and you fool is here talking trash?

May thunder fire you and your entire generation.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by abatically(m): 10:05pm On Oct 19, 2014
buskie13:
this is where i stand to be corrected....but the French speaking nations have a better chance of clinching de title

Because French speaking nations have produced better players than english speaking nations. The Samuel etoos, Didier drogba, Freddie kanoute, Patrick mboma, etc . don't forget George weah, rashidi yekini, kanu nwankwo, abedi pele, Victor ikpeba were from english speaking countries so what are we saying?
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by golddeejay(m): 10:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
Okocha was a very good and skillful player. But it is an injustice to compare him with great players lyk Ronaldinho,figo,zidane...even if these players dd not possess as much skills as Okocha like most nigerians like to blif, they sure maximized their skills n carried their teams sometymz almost individually...they performed exeptionally n consistently at the biggest clubs and at the highest level every week with results to show...goals, awards, trophies. Okocha showed the world a glimpse of a footballer he would have been at bolton but it was little to late plus it was bolton. Football is majorly abt result, the entertainment part of football is a side attraction. The diff btw these grt players and Okocha is that okocha focussed more on the entertainment part of the game while they focussed on the result part
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by buskie13(m): 10:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
abatically:

Because French speaking nations have produced better players than english speaking nations. The Samuel etoos, Didier drogba, Freddie kanoute, Patrick mboma, etc . don't forget George weah, rashidi yekini, kanu nwankwo, abedi pele, Victor ikpeba were from english speaking countries so what are we saying?
noted....but for de past decade....it has been on de French's side.....maybe why Jay Jay didn't win it was because he was unsuccessful at club level...
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Kog45(m): 10:14pm On Oct 19, 2014
rashygenius:

Obviously..Mikel is more sucessful but u can neva compare Okochas' Impact in a team to Mikels own
....Okocha single handedly brut out bolton wanderers 4rm relegation zone to a safe zone.what has Mikel contributed to chelsea?...2goals in over 150Matches.ehn?answer me,yeye man
Nobody is comparing Mikel with Okocha but d simple question is who is successful btw d duo and you gave a very good answer but you still went ahead to call your Father yeye man.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by andyanders: 10:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
abatically:

Dude, the Turkish league was and is still a very lowly rated league compared to Spain, England, Germany, Italy and even France. Okocha was playing a 'show off' kind of game when he was at Fernabache. When he came to Bolton he became more matured and played with his teammates more often than he ever did, but it was already too late. I still repeat if Okocha was that good big clubs would have come for him.

Listen, when Okocha came to England, he was made the Captain of his Bolton Wanderers and he collected most valuable player of the month several times in English Premiership league. If Okocha wasn't good, would they have given him Captain band? Yobo was another Nigeria that did that.
Okocha was one of the best Free kick deadly weapon during his days. Have we had such a player in Nigeria's squard since he left? No.

Op is just useless and bringing this issue up when the guy has gone for retirement.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by ice234: 10:42pm On Oct 19, 2014
Dude did u just say this.... Please edit it fast.

Drogba never existed during his hey days.
Thank you
buskie13:
u don't really get my point....... during Jay Jay's time....it was either Eto'o or Drogba he has to contend with.....
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by victorix(m): 10:51pm On Oct 19, 2014
mancheeutd:

your right hes one of the best imagine jayjay imagine jayjay being rated in the days of players like seedorf, zidane, rivaldo, giggs, inzaggi, figo ,crespo, batistuta carlos schevchenko delima edgar davis... i wonder if c ronaldo or messi will be known if they had played in this era not to mention george best paul gascoigne rijkaard etc.

yeah, if jayjay came in dis new era he would have been known. It jst pains me to see a talent like jst fade like dat.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by bigtt76(f): 10:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
He was just a victim of the Nigerian system - cravings for money grin
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by freshdude99(m): 11:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped
Omo u foolish o! Even if we all agreed with you that he's an overrated player, then so fucking wat?? ? Would that have put food on ur table? Mehn use ur Mb and time wisely and stop misbehaving. I as a person, am proud of okocha at least as a Nigerian that one of our own is up there competing with ur so called"best"
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 11:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
otipoju:
Good and great are not the same thing.

Okocha is a very skillfull player no doubt but is he a great player? No why because he did not amass club trophies and personal laurels.

Why did he not do so? because in spite of his outstanding skills he avoided the big teams preferring midtable clubs where he could just play regularly for good money.

That was his personal choice and I do not have anything against it.

The great players plied their trades with the biggest clubs where they win trophies and personal honours.

The way some morons reason on this forum is irritating to say the least. Displaying their inability to comprehend simple words.

You logic is good, but can be misleading if followed to the letter, cos that would mean a player like Mikel (and Paulo Ferrera), who's won the EPL, UCL, UEL and the AFCON is a great player. Even though he sat on the bench in most of this competitions (barring the AFCON). A great player should be more than trophies won.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by abatically(m): 11:50pm On Oct 19, 2014
buskie13:
noted....but for de past decade....it has been on de French's side.....maybe why Jay Jay didn't win it was because he was unsuccessful at club level...

Because in the last decade French speaking nations have produced better players than the English speaking competitors. Should we then ignore a deserving player and give it to an undeserved player? The same way lots of Nigerians were saying Mikel should have won the African player of the year 2013 when it was very very obvious Yaya Toure is a better deserving player.

2011-2013: Yaya Toure
2010: Samuel Eto'o against Asamoah Gyan
2009: Didier Drogba against Samuel Eto'o
2008: Emmanuel Adebayor against Aboutrika
2007: Frederick kanoute against Michael Esssien
2006: Didier Drogba against Samuel Eto'o
2005: Samuel Eto'o against Didier Drogba
2004: Samuel Eto'o against Didier Drogba
2003: Didier Drogba against Jay Jay Okocha

It is very obvious French speaking nations have produced better players in the last decade. Between 1992 and 1999, this award was won by only English speaking players (except Mustapha Hadji who won it in 1998) but nobody said it was partiality.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by otipoju(m): 11:51pm On Oct 19, 2014
vfactor:

You logic is good, but can be misleading if followed to the letter, cos that would mean a player like Mikel (and Paulo Ferrera), who's won the EPL, UCL, UEL and the AFCON is a great player. Even though he sat on the bench in most of this competitions (barring the AFCON). A great player should be more than trophies won.

Yes. I totally agree with you. We call such players like Ferrera 's "bawon kun Ijo" because they do nothing exceptional.

Criteria for greatness.
1. Superior skills
2. Playing for the top teams or leading darkhorses to glory.
3. Winning major trophies
4. Winning personal accolades

So you must use your superior skills to perform exploits by winning things on the biggest stages to be considered a great. Okocha had the skills to be the greatest footballer ever but because the other ingredients were missing,he cannot be classified as great. That is my submission.

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Efomeh2020(m): 11:57pm On Oct 19, 2014
Have u forgotten so soon that Ronaldinho said Okocha is one of his mentor, his dribbling n skills re out of dz world! Remember when we had free kick and u re sure jj os gonna sore!
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by victorix(m): 12:08am On Oct 20, 2014
daey118:

3words: God Bless You.

smiley thank u my brother
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by 76Naira(m): 3:10am On Oct 20, 2014
@ OP, please what have you done with your life? Share with us before you qualify to judge Okocha.
Okocha never said he was the best. He just enjoyed football naturally; something that game is begging for these days. Right now it is more about the money than the skilled players.
Be you naive or just plain forgetful, Okocha was in his own class. You might need YouTube help to cure your amnesia.
You picked the wrong Nigeria hero to judge. You lost this one already.

3 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by akinladejo: 3:44am On Oct 20, 2014
victorix:
op, i have never heard someone say "okocha is the best player ever". He was jst one of the best nigerian player of his time. Dont forget his awesome dribbling and passing skills.

I woud say, okocha was jst unlucky.

That's just d word. Very unlucky or unfortunate person. Who can u compare J J with in his time? It seems u were very small when J J was playing for Nija.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by lastpage: 4:17am On Oct 20, 2014
toecyne:
my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped
The bolded above is actually "YOUR POINT"...

.....and l dare say, it is POINTLESS! tongue tongue

Okocha is Okocha, and will always be remembered as OKOCHA!

No one can be Okocha.... he is that good they named him TWICE!

Jay Jay was a master of the round leather, like it or not, he belongs in a class of his own.

Since his "retirement' tell me one "complete mid-fielder" that Nigeria has produced, who commanded the mid-field, like he did?

Mikel was expected to step into hi shoes but since he joined Chelsea, his game changed dramatically.
Coupled with fame, money and ego, TODAY, Mikel Obi is a shadow of himself (Juts watch him against Messi at the World Cup under-age finals )

Please leave Okocha alone, his legacy lives with him.

BTW: Who you be sef, to be saying Okocha is overhyped? Did you ever play soccer at even street levels?
Mtchew!

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Fluidelvis(m): 4:19am On Oct 20, 2014
76Naira:
@ OP, please what have you done with your life? Share with us before you qualify to judge Okocha.
Okocha never said he was the best. He just enjoyed football naturally; something that game is begging for these days. Right now it is more about the money than the skilled players.
Be you naive or just plain forgetful, Okocha was in his own class. You might need YouTube help to cure your amnesia.
You picked the wrong Nigeria hero to judge. You lost this one already.
The v.wrong Nigerian Hero to judge! Dude, before he took up d number 10 & now he's dropped it..which naija player both home&away have done just half of what JAY JAY did
OP, u be better "bonkom" for even thinking up this issue..mtchew!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Asisat Oshoala's Mother Poses Proudly With Her Daughter's Glo CAF Award. Photos / Meet Joel Obi's Wife And Son (Photos) / Sunday Oliseh To Emerge As Nigeria's New Coach - BBC Sport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.