Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,298 members, 7,780,701 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:57 PM

How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? (7895 Views)

Core Arsenal Couple Celebrate Their Wedding In An Amazing Way (Photo) / Woman Arrested For Leaving Her 2 Kids Alone Abroad To Attend Wedding In Nigeria / How Much Would You Spend For Your First Wedding/Marriage Anniversary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Txlonghorn(m): 4:18am On Aug 03, 2006
I'm coming home in February to marry my sweetheart, I have some money saved up for our Wine carring and the white wedding, but I just want to find out from the married folks on here or anyone that knows about getting married in Nigeria about how much it cost you.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by gigitte(f): 5:03am On Aug 03, 2006
really? Congratulations!

sorry i dont know how much it would cost esp since i'm yoruba. are you doing just trad or both white and trad.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 5:18am On Aug 03, 2006
Awww, really? Congrats man. U can invite some Nairalanders if u want.

Ohh between, since you're going to naija from HERE, boy u know they going to espect a THROWDOWN right? I don't think any amount is enough for real. Spend as much as u want, and feel that u are able to spend. Don't get in debt because of a wedding.

U dont wanna be like this man. embarassed

During a wedding reception; the groom was called upon to give his vote of thanks to his guests and this is what he came up with:
I want to first of all thank the Lord Almighty for creating my wife and to also thank the pastor and his wife for lending us their wedding rings.
Special appreciation to my landlord who lent us his car.
I am most grateful to my boss for approving the loan I used for the wedding.
Big thanks to the committee of friends for the appeal fund they raised on my behalf.
Also to my brothers wife, thank you for lending us your wedding gown.
Am so grateful to the cake designer for the cake. I promised to return it tomorrow morning as agreed.
Special thanks to my friends who brought food from their homes to help me feed you all. Please for those who were served food good luck and for those who didnt get any, well we will make it up to you during our child dedication( hopefully next year).
Very big thanks to my parents for bringing the village cultural band to supply the music as well as entertain us all here, today.
Not forgetting the church marriage committee, thank you for persuading my wife to marry me.
Appreciation to the married men in the church for rushing me into this marriage.
The women are not left out, thanks a lot for teaching my wife how to dance.
To the youths thank you for sweeping and decorating this venue with palm fronts.
I am also grateful to my teenage friends for helping with the Zobo drink Well, I wish you all safe journey and I pray you dont experience what I
suffered for this wedding.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by WesleyanA(f): 5:23am On Aug 03, 2006
hot-angel:

Don't get in debt because of a wedding.

it's hard not to.  esp. when it's a nigerian wedding unless the parents have tons of money to spend.

Congrats Tx.  smiley

buhahahahaha that's hilarious hotA. no that's too much debt.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 5:25am On Aug 03, 2006
I know it's hard not to. But read the story of that guy i posted.

BTW, i totaly understand what you mean by it's hard not to.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Txlonghorn(m): 5:25am On Aug 03, 2006
Thank you my sisters (Hot- angel and Gigitte) Our plan is to have the traditional wedding and the church wedding all in three weeks cause that's all the time off I can get from work.

Hot-angel you are so right, when ppl hear you coming from the States the would expect like a grand wedding, seriously that's what scares the day light out of me. Not that my baby is not worth a grand wedding, I just don't want to spend all my money  plus 3 credit card and come back and start drinking Garri for a whole year.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by janetgurl: 5:27am On Aug 03, 2006
dont really know
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by babe1(f): 5:31am On Aug 03, 2006
I would hate to tell you how much we spent on our wedding in Nigeria 2004, we went from the US, can you give me an idea how much budget you have? You have to consider, family size and guests, i am ibo and i married a Yoruba man. And you know the yorubas like to party. Consider clothing ( depending on how many times you want to change) entertainment ( we had ibo and yoruba bands, they took turns playing), Food, you definitely have to have enough of that, drinks and gifts. Venue is very important, if anything make sure you have enough food and drinks.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 5:31am On Aug 03, 2006
@ TX, Awww, "my baby deserves a grand wedding". That's soo sweet. smiley

Anyways, just carry what you shoulders can carry. U know u don't want to get in too much debt. A use of just credit card is allowed, but don't go all the way to three.

*trying to be nosy*, is your baby coming back with you?

I would like to hear wat people that have actually wedded in naija have to say. You'll get more from them. ALl i know is, u'll spend alot.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by babe1(f): 5:33am On Aug 03, 2006
Txlonghorn:

Thank you my sisters (Hot- angel and Gigitte) Our plan is to have the traditional wedding and the church wedding all in three weeks cause that's all the time off I can get from work.

Hot-angel you are so right, when people hear you coming from the States the would expect like a grand wedding, seriously that's what scares the day light out of me. Not that my baby is not worth a grand wedding, I just don't want to spend all my money plus 3 credit card and come back and start drinking Garri for a whole year.

Thats why i asked what your budget is because i tell ya it ain't gonna be easy if you are from USA
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Txlonghorn(m): 6:10am On Aug 03, 2006
babe1:

Thats why i asked what your budget is because i tell ya it ain't going to be easy if you are from USA

Sorry babe I wasn't trying to ignore you, I'm at work and have to close this window everytime some nosy fool stands behind me. I'm planing on spending at least $5000 on our wedding and if that don't make it, my family promise to help out. I hear marriage in Nigeria these days is not a one man task.

@Hot-angel

To answer your question, yes we would be coming back together I've filled all the papers and stuff. embarassed embarassed embarassed you know we'll be getting busy making babies.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 6:25am On Aug 03, 2006
name ur first child "nairaland". Okay im kidding.

name her elizabeth if she's a she. And kelvin if he's a he. lipsrsealed

---

Congrats man, $5000 dollars no be small money oo. That's alot. Take pictures and show us please oo.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Teezy(f): 6:30am On Aug 03, 2006
aww congratulations TX! no i think u should name ur daughter teezy tongue j/p
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by WesleyanA(f): 6:32am On Aug 03, 2006
hot-angel:

name her elizabeth if she's a she. lipsrsealed

lol @ you lizzy
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by ZuluNation(m): 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2006
Congratulations man, My family helped me out a lot when we did ours last year. It's hella fun though.Take plenty of pictures bro.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by babe1(f): 5:30pm On Aug 03, 2006
Hey TX, all i can say is do what you can afford . Our wedding cost way more than that. And if your family can help thats cool. I know mine did expecially when it came to gifts. A lot of family members came up with gifts that they gave away. Just to give you an idea of how much ours cost, We spent $4000 on clothing alone. We had about 25 canopies cos we did an out door reception and we made sure every canopy had their food and drinks surplus. The musicians cost quite a bit too. but all the same goodluck, i know my bride prize was not much. Where am from ( Asaba) we don't ask for much. Its actually whaever your family ask for. I know my friends dad asked for a penny for her sister. mine was under 50 bucks. I mean dowry. Just ask someone close to you to get you a list of everything you need, that will give you an idea. I don't know where you are from but in my place, the elders have a list of what the villagers will ask for and then you can figure out what your friends and her firends will need. I hope this helped some. Take care and all the best.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by ZuluNation(m): 5:38pm On Aug 03, 2006
@ Babe,

Wow you guys spent alot for your wedding, in all I think we spent about $4000 for the whole thing.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by babe1(f): 7:28pm On Aug 03, 2006
We sure did Zulu, it all depends on family size too, i have 5 sisters and one brother and my husband has 7 siblings, plus cousins aunties u know what. Everyone invited who they knew and am the baby so it was tight. We had fun though. grin
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by ZuluNation(m): 8:20pm On Aug 03, 2006
Nothing like a Nigerian wedding for real, I've been to a few wedding out here and the all boring to me
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Txlonghorn(m): 7:52am On Aug 04, 2006
Wow babe,you married a Yoruba man. Not that it's bad or anything like that, I just think you very brave, my family would freak out. I'm sure you had a nice wedding, congratulations nne.

My parents are going to pay the bride price this weekend I'll let you know how much the paid, just like your people in Asaba we in Anambra don't demand a lot for pride prize.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by jacq(f): 9:11pm On Aug 04, 2006
So they still they pay dowry in 2006 ?
some tradition will never die. cool

that is cool though
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2006
does your wife to be live in Nigeria? my brother, I wish this your wedding will be in dec./jan. so I can show face, Good luck my bro, This is a bold step. I wish you all the  best and to show how you love your wife and your mom, your first child if a girl, should be given the name " NNEAMAKA" kiss
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by eikonworld(m): 11:16pm On Aug 05, 2006
First thing first, CONGRATS!!,
Its a great responsibility making up your mind to stick to and take care one full grown woman, forever,

Okay, How much??
Depends on you, been in the state doesn't really have to affect your wedding, unless you want it to,

In-laws and relations will come with their requests and ideas, sure, but you can modify and meet everyone up to a certain comfortable point, you just have to get in touch with the key people involved.

$4000?, thats about half a mill, quite a lot years back but now in Lagos, that is just enough for getting a hall, decorations, photography,music band, but thats is if you want high stuffs but quality comes at a price,

Why don't you get wedding planners here in nig, they will ask for your budget and come up with a deal, and we have a good number of them,
for wedding photography, log on to www.eikonworld.com and also check out the link page,

cheers

Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Txlonghorn(m): 8:08am On Aug 08, 2006
@ Hotstepper,

Thank you my dear, Obim (wife) is in Nigeria, I've filed all her paper so we coming back together. How exciting is that embarassed. My sister I was thinking of a wedding in Dec/ Jan, but I just got back from Nigeria in June,let me recover a little my sis you know how it is. Nneamaka is just an awesome name my sister. I'll bring it up to the boss lady and see what says.

@ eikonworld

Thank you for your info and the link. I was very impressed, Na wa ooo we don go far for naija wink
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by eikonworld(m): 10:31am On Aug 08, 2006
Thanks!.

For more picture update info, you can subscribe (free) on my website , and do spread the word,

Wish yoou the very best!

Cheers smiley

Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by DivineOke(f): 2:31pm On Aug 08, 2006
thats really nice. i envy you o. Congratulations.

Wel, I dont know how much it'l cost coz am not married and I've ne'er planned for a wedding before.

I wish you the very best.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 4:13pm On Aug 08, 2006
no problem my sister, I know Nneamaka is a nice name and rare thatz why I answer it, kiss I know my dear, recover cuz the money for the flight ain't a joke, am still planning how am gonna pay 1800 b4 sept. for mine 2wards dec. cuz as ma mom said, I ain't paying for u diz xmas, lol, itz real work ohhh as ma summer job money no dey enough def, I go see da end cuz as for 9ja, I don come finish ohh, lol
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 08, 2006
20 thousand dollar
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by babe1(f): 12:43am On Aug 09, 2006
Txlonghorn:

Wow babe,you married a Yoruba man. Not that it's bad or anything like that, I just think you very brave, my family would freak out. I'm sure you had a nice wedding, congratulations nne.

My parents are going to pay the bride price this weekend I'll let you know how much the paid, just like your people in Asaba we in Anambra don't demand a lot for pride prize.

Well TX, welcome to my family tales. My oldest sister is married to a guy from warri, second sister married to a guy from sapela and am married to a yoruba. The bottom line is this, our parents are more interested in our happiness than tribal issues. You can marry anyone you chose to as long as he or she makes you happy. I don't think families should make that decision. And yes TX, we had a grand wedding and have a wonderful 9month old daughter now. Hoping to have more someday. Goodluck once again.
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by gigitte(f): 5:11am On Aug 09, 2006
i hope im not being intrusive
how did y'all meet?
well u can always do trad and court now
and have the church wedding when u can. or have the pastor marry u in his office then do reception later on
(this is probably what i will do sha)
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by Busta(f): 4:06pm On Aug 09, 2006
nice stories and really makes me jealous, well mine will come someday but i believe that NO AMOUNT IS TOO MUCH OR TOO SMALL to plan ur wedding, the main thing is that u love each other and just have fun!
Re: How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? by naijadiva2(f): 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2006
@ topic

as much as possible baby.

(1) (2) (Reply)

URGENT ADVICE PLEASE, MY MARRIAGE IS CRASHING / Why Mothers Should Be More Honoured And Respected Than Fathers. / Young Girl Seduces Married Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.