Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) (3890 Views)

4 Nigerians Killed In South Africa / 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage / Full Documentary On Nigerians Jailed In China ! (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Justice629(m): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2014
4 Nigerians Who Got Jailed For 14 Years Total, For Match.Com Dating Scam In The UK (Pictured)

[img]http://1.bp..com/-GBxxVb-dSvk/VEKNUuutbTI/AAAAAAAAQKk/sMgpfv65u-0/s1600/webdating-scam-main.jpg[/img]

Four Nigerian men, Monty Emu, Adewunmi Nusi, Emmanuel Oko, and Chukwuka Ugwu (pictured above) have been jailed a total of 14 years for duping single women out of about $350,000.

According to the UK Mirror, the four men duped these women after they responded to a false profile of an "attractive middle-aged man" on popular dating site, Match.com. Don't these women learn?

"They then fell for the conman's story that he was due to receive a £100 million inheritance from his father but that it was tied up by red tape in India.

Once the relationship had developed with the fake man, normally called James Richards, the conspirators started requesting cash.

At first the women were asked for a £700 legal fee by a fake solicitor but then the sums requested rose to up to £100,000, Winchester Crown Court heard.

The trial was told that vulnerable women were conned out of £220,000, with one victim, Suzanne Hardman, handing over £174,000.

Some realized it was a scam and did not hand over any cash. Following a three-week trial, Monty Emu, 28, of Frencham Road, Southsea, Hampshire, and Adewunmi Nusi, 37, of Bomford Close, Hermitage, Berkshire, were convicted of money laundering.

At the start of the trial, Emmanuel Oko, 30, of Waverley Grove, Southsea, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud and money laundering and Chukwuka Ugwu, 29, of Somers Road, Southsea, admitted money laundering.

Oko, who was said by the judge to be at the centre of the conspiracy, was sentenced to eight years' imprisonment for the fraud and four years to run concurrently for the money laundering offense.
Emu, who laundered about £55,000 during nine months, was jailed for three and a half years, Ugwu was jailed for 46 weeks and Nusi was imprisoned for 18 months.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-smkhchF_vBs/VEKNWLrql8I/AAAAAAAAQKs/gws8oS1xGQ0/s1600/0.jpg[/img]

Sentencing the four men, Judge Susan Evans QC said: "This was a highly sophisticated conspiracy to defraud, it preyed on the trusting, the lonely and the emotionally vulnerable. The amount of planning was, in my view, substantial and would have required a highly organized group of individuals. Some of those females that were targeted were utterly taken in by this cruel scam and the sophistication of the crime means it's unsurprising that some of them were taken in. The hurt and distress you caused them was enormous. It's not even about the loss of the money being at the forefront of this, it's about the emotional hurt you caused them."

In a victim impact statement, Ms Hardman, from Basingstoke, said that the fraud had led to her suffering sleepless nights and not eating because of the stress and that she had lost her self-respect.
She said: "From the day I reported the incident to the police, I felt very vulnerable and sick to my stomach. As I look back, I felt groomed and that is how I became a victim of this, I wouldn't want anyone else to be a victim of this type of crime. I do feel a duty to warn others, women specifically, of this type of theft over dating websites and the internet. The money itself was to act as a pension and to support my family as I got old, one could say I have lost everything that I had from a 28-year marriage."

Sylvia Tai Sen Choy, who lost £11,300 to the scam, said that she had been put on anti-depressants since falling victim and at one point I was too frightened to answer the phone.
"All I wanted to do was meet someone so I wasn't on my own, it sickens me that there are people out there who want to prey on people's emotions."

http://www.chichinwaafrica.com/2014/10/see-this-4-nigerians-who-got-jailed-for.html?m=1
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by firstolalekan(m): 5:27pm On Oct 18, 2014
Badooski
Naija! I hail thee grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Bootybuttchic(f): 5:28pm On Oct 18, 2014
c
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by phantom(m): 6:16pm On Oct 18, 2014
the tribal warriors both from the east and west have all scurried into their holes like rats. they've realised they are equally represented by these fraudsters.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by eightsin(m): 6:25pm On Oct 18, 2014
Incase
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by oluwafemi113(m): 6:48pm On Oct 18, 2014
Ooo no

Bad business
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by CyberWolf: 7:22pm On Oct 18, 2014
phantom:
the tribal warriors both from the east and west have all scurried into their holes like rats. they've realised they are equally represented by these fraudsters.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 18, 2014
phantom:

So true.
That's the hypocrisy of the tribal warrior touts of NL.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by gatiano(m): 7:48pm On Oct 18, 2014
The fall of the blackman began with the deceit of riches, wealth and power. the 2nd trick of satan to lure the black people into fall. every people in nigeria now is after riches, wealth and power, fall is 100% awaiting those that run after these illusion, it is absolute! That wealth, riches and power comes with each and everyone of us from that second we got concieved in our mothers womb. all it takes is to love yourself first, when you love yourself, you actually love GOD, because you appreciate how well he has created you. Love your brothers and sisters (i never said love your enemy o, however, you must know your enemy). study yourself, study your environment and surroundings, Then you can begin to bring mavellous things out from GOD'S creation. And the 1st trick of satan is GOD is a spirit.
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by publicenemy(m): 8:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
These people will never stop embarrassing the name "Nigeria".

I don't know if Nigerians are the hungriest people in the world,there are citizens of poorer countries yet they act with dignity and integrity.

Then when other countries and their citizens treat us like shiit in their country we commplain.

And when I say we deserve it Nairalanders scream "publicennemy".

4 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by benega: 8:10pm On Oct 18, 2014
#Noconcience
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by fr3do(m): 8:12pm On Oct 18, 2014
This is not news
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 18, 2014
Nigerians will never learn...but why do these white women fall prey to stuffs like this??
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by armadeo(m): 8:38pm On Oct 18, 2014
phantom:

Epic man.

The first thing I looked for was the names as a preview to the forth coming tribal war. On seeing them I burst into laughter.

The morale is cash knows no tribe. We should think about that.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Candour(m): 8:39pm On Oct 18, 2014
The tribal warlords have suddenly gone quiet. At least this crime will make us all do an introspection as Nigerians stained by the indiscretions and greed of our compatriots instead of hurling stereotypical insults and innuendoes at each other.

We can go all strong and blame the women for falling cheaply but loneliness and general vulnerability most times obscures sound judgement. These are always exploited to the fullest by conmen. I hope they recover fully.

My only sadness about this case is that the sentences aren't long enough for the crooks.
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by 4Play(m): 8:42pm On Oct 18, 2014
phantom:

They are completely discombobulated by the equal representation. I suspect some must have developed a serious headache thinking of how to handle this. grin

3 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 18, 2014
phantom:

what tribe is the ring leader?

2 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Abagworo(m): 8:48pm On Oct 18, 2014
phantom:

You killed the thread.
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by OmoEziokwu: 10:05pm On Oct 18, 2014
Evil country filled with evil people.

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nonybb: 10:07pm On Oct 18, 2014
God bless the hustle of the Igbos and Yorubas God Dey.

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 18, 2014
JonaTAN must go

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Melancholy(m): 10:49pm On Oct 18, 2014
The most diligent tribe are the hausas cos it a rare occurence to find them in denigrating deals like this. *fact*

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 18, 2014
phantom:

Collabo tinz.
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by denzel2009: 11:29pm On Oct 18, 2014
Melancholy:
The most diligent tribe are the hausas cos it a rare occurence to find them in denigrating deals like this. *fact*

True statement, except for these bombings.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 11:37pm On Oct 18, 2014
Let me ignite this to clock 15 pages by tomorrow grin

Joke apart, Adewunmi Nusi was the person that coerce the Igbo guy to join them. Chukwuma was a good guy that unfortunately chose the wrong Yoruba guy.

Not that all Yorubas are fraudster, but you get my point.

For the record, I'm Yoruba!
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by omololu2020(m): 12:02am On Oct 19, 2014
Melancholy:
do you know the number of pple d hausa hav killed in d north west just bcox dey r xtian
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Justice629(m): 6:41am On Oct 19, 2014
donedy:

Joke apart, Adewunmi Nusi was the person that coerce the Igbo guy to join them. Chukwuma was a good guy that unfortunately chose the wrong Yoruba guy.

In as much as I want to believe you, I do know that Yoruba guy, in short him been the rassle babe for my area before him get admmision for obodo oyibo but to come say he was actually tricking my fellow Igbo brother to scam people I no sabi again oh but e be like say na him be their leader. Smhrh grin grin
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 19, 2014
Serves them right
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by HopeAtHand: 7:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
phantom:

Hypocrites allover.

The Hausas hardly soil the name of Nigeria when crimes as these are uncovered.

Though, i'll take these crimes anyday to what AbdulMutallab planned doing.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by BodyKiss(m): 9:43pm On Oct 19, 2014
firstolalekan:
Badooski
Naija! I hail thee grin

Stop being a fööl for once.
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 19, 2014
phantom:
brilliant post!
Re: 4 Nigerians Jailed For 14 Years, For Match.com Dating Scam In The Uk (pictures) by Ilovenigeria(f): 11:05pm On Oct 19, 2014
donedy:

yes I know chukwuma as a hard working young man at alaba international.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why The Picture Of Dead Nigerian Soldiers Is Real! / Photos: Russian Supermarket Under Fire For Calling Barack Obama A Monkey / Buhari Will Shock Nigerians On May 29 - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.