Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Enyeama Backs Amodu - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Enyeama Backs Amodu (711 Views)

Vincent Enyeama , Wife And Daughter In New Lovely Photo / Amodu Ruined My Dream - Kanu / Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Enyeama Backs Amodu by Wisdytech(m): 8:48pm On Oct 18, 2014
Super Eagles captain Vincent Enyeama said he was sad to see Stephen Keshi relieved of his managerial duties.

But the France-based goalkeeper backed the appointment of Shaibu Amodu as the Eagles’ caretaker coach, believing the 56-year-old has what it takes to turn the team’s fortunes around.

Keshi, who guided Nigeria to their third Africa Cup of Nations glory in South Africa last year and led the team to a second round exit at the summer World Cup in Brazil, was sent packing on Wednesday night after the Eagles beat Sudan 3-1 in their Morocco 2015 AFCON Group A reverse fixture in Abuja.

The former Nigeria captain, who managed the Eagles in their three 2015 AFCON qualifiers on a caretaker basis after his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation after the World Cup, was negotiating a new, improved contract with the NFF to continue as the Eagles coach, but the football body decided to pull the pin.

The NFF announced Amodu as his replacement. But the ex-BCC Lions coach , who was twice sacked – after helping Nigeria qualify for the 2002 and 2010 World Cups, will babysit for a foreign manager. The NFF said the foreign coach would be appointed later.

Nigeria risk missing out on the continental showpiece next year. The African champions are third in the table on four points – four points adrift of leaders South Africa and three adrift of the second-placed Congo.

“It is sad that he (Keshi) is not with us,” the Lille custodian was quoted by supersport.com as saying on during the week.

“He played the role of not just the coach but a father figure to us in the team and we will miss him for that.

“The decision I will say rests with the FA. I believe they know what they are doing and they took the decision best to them. I am in no position to make decisions, and there is nothing I can do.”

On the appointment of Amodu to take charge of the two games against South Africa and Congo in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, Enyeama said he is ready to work with the caretaker manager of the Super Eagles.

The 32-year-old 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner said he had worked with Amodu in the past and would do his bit to help the national team.

“I have worked with Amodu before in the national team, which is nothing new. So I am always ready to work with anyone we get as a coach,” the former Israel-based keeper said.

Amodu will be in the dugout alongside Salisu Yusuf and Gbenga Ogunbote for the qualifiers against South Africa and Congo next month.

SEE MORE: http://brainnewsng.com/enyeama-backs-amodu/
Re: Enyeama Backs Amodu by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 18, 2014
Ofcourse he has to....... If not he aint gonna have no shirt

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enyeama Backs Amodu by Boboedom: 6:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
Wise boy

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Me, Neymar, Messi Best In The World-suarez / Messi Picks His Favorite Champions League Goal...see Pics / PHOTOS; Wanye Rooney Goes Down Memory Lane As He Visits Old Primary School.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.