Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

African Americans Lack Values And Culture - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Americans Lack Values And Culture (11627 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Do African Americans Have A Culture? / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by KarmaMod(f): 3:11am On Nov 18, 2008
You people are making Mandingo cry
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by DavidDylan(m): 3:24am On Nov 18, 2008
Ever heard about "things fall apart"? Its 50yrs old this yr and was written by a nigerian . . . AAs go write ur own book. And pls pls not another uncle tom book.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by bawomolo(m): 3:32am On Nov 18, 2008
wow tyler perry movies. osisi no get taste o.   spike lee is a better option. uncle tom's cabin was actually written by a white woman. well they have frederick douglas and richard wright
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by LoveAlways(f): 6:08am On Nov 18, 2008
I am not sure what the previous post is about but:

I don't think all AA lack culture or values! You should not generalize people based on your opinion. What if I were to say all Nigerians are thieves and crooks!

Please understand the way your parents warn you about marrying an AA, we get a fierce warning about marrying someone from Naija, it is your decision to make.

This is true. When I first started dating a Nigerian man, my family had many warnings for me.

-- Nigerian men are all cab drivers
-- Nigerian men have several wives and children back home
-- Nigerian men are abusive and treat women with disrespect

I didn't hear the green card theory, until coming to this messageboard. But so far, none of it is true. If he and I were to break-up tomorrow, he would still be one of my favorite people.

I think it's important for everyone to live their own life. I respect culture, but I will never be a slave to it. I'm an individual first and I have my own mind and opinions. What I notice about Nigerian culture, is that the parents have a lot of influence over their adult children. I would never respect a man who allows his family to control him and make his decisions.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by MandingoII(m): 6:30am On Nov 18, 2008
Ever heard about "things fall apart"? Its 50yrs old this yr and was written by a nigerian . . . AAs go write ur own book. And please please not another uncle tom book.

Gosh you soooo DAMN STUPID!

FYI, American Ibo's can't stand that "backward' yams producing book.

dude killed himself and MURDERED a child.

YUCK!

more retarded African Literature.

you have a pulitzer prize winning african.

we have SEVERAL Nobel & Pulitzer writing Authors.

again, Kick Rocks.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by shotster50(m): 2:53am On Nov 20, 2008
@ MandingoII

Yeah, yeah, keep talking, someday you might say something intelligent.
I dont even know why people waste their time on you.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by DavidDylan(m): 2:58am On Nov 20, 2008
MandingoII:

Gosh you soooo DAMN STUPID!

FYI, American Ibo's can't stand that "backward' yams producing book.

dude killed himself and MURDERED a child.

YUCK!

more retarded African Literature.

you have a pulitzer prize winning african.

we have SEVERAL Nobel & Pulitzer writing Authors.

again, Kick Rocks.

more evidence you are not educated:

1. Things fall apart is listed on Time Magazine's 100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005.

2. [url=http://wsu.edu/~brians/anglophone/achebe.html]Washington State University study guide[/url]

Those people certainly dont consider the book "retarded".
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by shotster50(m): 3:06am On Nov 20, 2008
Do let him carry on displaying his rank ignorance here. Dude kind of reminds me of Bill o'Reilly though lol.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by ikeyman00(m): 7:42am On Nov 20, 2008
mandingo

how u feelin now! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. sucker
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by ikeyman00(m): 7:45am On Nov 20, 2008
by the way my parent told me all aa are break dancer and hmm most of them still are
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by nikkinakiy: 1:37am On Nov 21, 2008
James Baldwin, Zora Neely Hurston, W.E.B. Dubois, Dr. Maya Angelou, Alvin Ailey, Nicholas Brothers, Savion Glover, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, to name a few, We do have a culture it is just as unique to the world as any other culture on the planet!! Don't hate, appreciate!
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by nikkinakiy: 1:39am On Nov 21, 2008
Zora Neale Hurston, pardon the typo.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by DavidDylan(m): 2:48am On Nov 21, 2008
shotster50:

Do let him carry on displaying his rank ignorance here. Dude kind of reminds me of Bill o'Reilly though lol.

At least Bill O has a brain.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by MandingoII(m): 3:44am On Nov 23, 2008
There is NO African cultures WORTHY of African Americans undertaking.

NONE!

We have our own backwardness furnished by the Whiteman (thank you)

We took all the WORTHY elements out of africa when we were sold into slavery by Africans.

We LEFT NOTHING in Africa. We CREATED our own.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by ikeyman00(m): 12:07pm On Nov 23, 2008

NONE!

We took all the WORTHY elements out of africa when we were sold into slavery by Africans.

We LEFT NOTHING in Africa. We CREATED our own

hmmm
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 23, 2008
MandingoII:

NONE!

We LEFT NOTHING in Africa. We CREATED our own.

Isn't this monkey from Kenya?
Some people and their need to be somebody. shior.
AA ko ASM ni.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Hauwa1: 9:58pm On Nov 23, 2008
ahem
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by girl22(f): 4:41am On Jan 08, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_American_writers

here is a link to some african american writers.

try going to the bookstore and browsing the african american non-fiction section. you'll see some books. or a african american book website.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Jafarre(m): 5:23am On Jan 08, 2009
AA culture is similar to poor white culture and values because they had so much contact. But I don't understand all the angst against naijas and i am tired of the african culture vs. aa culture wtf is african culture anyway?
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by H2O2: 5:26am On Jan 08, 2009
Dang, how come I'm just seeing this shocked
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 5:28am On Jan 08, 2009
Because I was in your way. duh
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by MandingoII(m): 7:24am On Jan 08, 2009
NOBODY wants the African culture.

it's backward, lethargic, unprogressed, toxic, restrictive, undeveloped, impoverished and REPLETE with SUPERSTITIONS.[quote][/quote]

KICK ROCKS!
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by girl22(f): 5:16pm On Jan 08, 2009
do africans americans practice traidions? no
do they have values and culture?yes

Naming children
usually the female family members come up with ideas for the name of the child
do the names have meaning unfortunately no.

weddings
the mother and older women of the family plan out the decorations and actual wedding
the father and men plan out the men's tux's ect

Church
is an important of african american's life
we have negro spirtuals that people we have been singing ever since our ancestors have been singing since they were brought here as slaves

Dancing
do we have rites of passesges? NO
but we have the jitterbug, lindy hop, popping, breaking, krumping, gigging, juking, stepping and several little so called slides.

Marraige
to african americans marraige is not a ring, walking down the aisle ect.
usually they will take you to meet their family and friends to see if their family and friends approves of you
so people say well african americans have chidlren out of wedlock .
we dont view marraige as a government document and ceremony. you have people that go through ceremonies for money or just necuase they are getting old?

Values
to be have common sense, street and book smart, to have your own mind., demand respect, do not be afraid to speak
up for ypurself, no ass kissing, respect your elders (but dont let them disrespect you).
you african americans call an older person Ms. or Mr. before they call the person their first name.
alot african american adults wont curse in front of older adults(some do though, always will have knuckleheads)

We are taight to be self reliant
We come from of legacy of people who were self taught carpentars, auto-mechanics, seamstresses,herbalist,botanist musicians and even lot of the early scientist and enigineers largely self taught alot of black in the present are not as self reliant as there were during my mother's time because of more opportunities are at their fingertips. so the current blacks are lazier than the earlier blacks who had to struggle.

Get togethers
every sunday african american families like to gather after church and have dinner
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by JustGood(m): 6:06pm On Jan 08, 2009
Please leave Black Americans alone jare
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Jafarre(m): 1:11am On Jan 09, 2009
What is that broom jump thing in AA weddings what is the meaning behind it
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by girl22(f): 1:31am On Jan 09, 2009
during slavery times they would tell man and woman to jump a broom to symbolize they were married.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 1:39am On Jan 09, 2009
girl22:

Naming children

weddings
the mother and older women of the family plan out the decorations and actual wedding

Church
we have negro spirtuals that people we have been singing ever since our ancestors have been singing since they were brought here as slaves

Dancing
but we have the jitterbug, lindy hop, popping, breaking, krumping, gigging, juking, stepping and several little so called slides.

Marraige
usually they will take you to meet their family and friends to see if their family and friends approves of you
we don't view marraige as a government document and ceremony. you have people that go through ceremonies for money or just necuase they are getting old?

Values
to be have common sense, street and book smart, to have your own mind., demand respect, do not be afraid to speak
up for ypurself, no ass kissing, respect your elders (but don't let them disrespect you).
you african americans call an older person Ms. or Mr. before they call the person their first name.
alot african american adults wont curse in front of older adults(some do though, always will have knuckleheads)

We come from of legacy of people who were self taught carpentars, auto-mechanics, seamstresses,herbalist,botanist musicians and even lot of the early scientist and enigineers largely self taught alot of black in the present are not as self reliant as there were during my mother's time because of more opportunities are at their fingertips. so the current blacks  are lazier than the earlier blacks who had to struggle.

Get togethers
every sunday african american families like to gather after church and have dinner

Interesting to learn. . .

just, its either the emboldened above contradicts itself or reality.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by girl22(f): 1:43am On Jan 09, 2009
what i meant was that african americans dont view marraige as a ceremony or government document.
and black people in america respect their older but that does not mean you let them walk all over you either.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by KarmaMod(f): 1:48am On Jan 09, 2009
girl22:

what i meant was that african americans don't view marraige as a ceremony or government document.

Is that their excuse for having fatherless children all over the place
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 1:53am On Jan 09, 2009
@ girl22 . . .sorry. Just that my prejudice was that AAs were the most disrespectful people you could come by (daring to impertinently talk back at authority in the name of self affirmation) , and that they see no form of sanctity in marriage (so much that the picture of a happy AA home in my mind is somewhat skewed and ethereal).
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 2:01am On Jan 09, 2009
girl22:

Naming children

weddings

Church

Dancing

Marraige
we don't view marraige as a government document and ceremony. you have people that go through ceremonies for money or just necuase they are getting old?

Values
up for ypurself, no ass kissing, respect your elders (but don't let them disrespect you).

We come from of legacy of people who were self taught carpentars, auto-mechanics, seamstresses,herbalist,botanist musicians and even lot of the early scientist and enigineers largely self taught alot of black in the present are not as self reliant as there were during my mother's time because of more opportunities are at their fingertips. so the current blacks are lazier than the earlier blacks who had to struggle.

Get togethers

what are the above? Your own idea of "values and culture"? grin
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 2:56am On Jan 09, 2009
Nigerians need to shut da mess up and leave these people alone. 98% of African Americans not in jail or military don't have time for internet and they don't care what you think same as Nigerians don't care what they think. There are close minded AAs same as even more close minded Nigerians. There are many African Americans taking care of their families (at least the ones I know). There are more illiterate white people than blacks just go to the southern villages in the USA. You complain about them having many baby mommas as if it's not so in Nigeria. Just shut up and look at what we have before you talk about other people. I just hate when you bring up these African American issues. Mind your own goddamn businesses idiots. There are more Nigerian kids starving, dying and been used for evil rituals than Black American kids. Look at your self before you laugh at others.  Pathetic, all you keeping your lips on African American's and Jamaican dicks are pathos!!! As if Nigerians don't Group Intimacy, as if Nigerians don't rob, as if Nigerians don't kill each other(worst over a bottle of star you could get killed), as if Nigerians are more educated. Face it, going to school is not being educated, you are just a schooled illiterate if you all talk like these and brag about degrees!!.  What do you call those women taking Nigerian girls to Europe for prostitution? yet you only hear Nigerians complaining about AAs pimping their women.

I can't believe you guys judge African Americans the same way white people do. You blame them for bad rap music instead of blaming your choice of rap music. There are positive rappers out there who are all about reality not gangster life. Are you guys crazy? Leave them alone abeg. You are not suppose to criticize your own no matter what, always defend your own people first then have a constructive criticism not judgmental criticism. You guys are not true Nigerians people. True Nigerians people don't have time to be stupid.

Abiola was even defending them when he was alive. He got list of many slaves that were taken from all over southern Nigeria but he didn't live to take the slavery perpetrating nations to court. It would've been a world changing event. Nigerians are as bad as them stop thinking you are better, you are just like them if not worst!!! idiots!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Eri King Performs Alo-mmo Festival [PHOTOS] / Nigerian Tribes Stereotypes / What you need to know about Argungu Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.