Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences (29259 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by lalasticlala(m): 11:14pm On Oct 18, 2014
It's a common knowledge that most tailors in Nigeria often disappoint their customers.

I have been disappointed severally by different tailors. There was a case I nearly cried. LOL.

Anyway just recently, my tailor of about 6 years just disappointed me today. I gave him a material to make for me about 2 weeks ago. I told him we are to wear it as uniform for an occasion.

Actually, we are doing Youth Weekend in my church. All these while I haven't been participating actively in Youth programmes in my church. But this time around, I decided to be serious and take active part in this youth weekend, of course like 2 sisters in the church have been encouraging me to. I attended youth meetings in preparation for the D-day. I rehearsed with them. I learnt the songs we were supposed to sing this Sunday, the D-day. I was assigned to take the bible reading, and I accepted. Only for the tailor to disappoint me.

So I will be odd. I have taken it in good faith.

So please share your own bitter experience with your tailor(s).

Have you ever been disappointed by a tailor, and How did you react or feel when you encountered the disappointment?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 18, 2014
./
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by bustyhelen(f): 11:28pm On Oct 18, 2014
will tell mine 2moro
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by naturally: 11:40pm On Oct 18, 2014
Hmmm, tailors, mechanics and carpenter behave almost the same way.

When you decide to look for another person, the new one will be efficiently effective for just few weeks/months before they start showing their real color.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Dramadiddy(m): 11:56pm On Oct 18, 2014
Ah dose pple, you wee give them pure white material dem go use one ridiculous colour like yellow sew am... Abi we dey design flag nii :/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 19, 2014
hmmm...
Chimoge! I can never forget that guy!

He has been my tailor for up to 6yrs, without any major issue. All of a sudden, Chimoge started taking weed, probably 'overdose', started jonsing - bc of goodwill, I found it difficult to let go.

I gave him the material for a friend's wedding (asoebi) naso Chimoge vanish 1wk to the wedding o, kept calling on fone, he didn't pick.

I went to his shop, his section was locked, then he called that he is very sorry, he had an accident...blablabla... and he has finished the work I should come Fri eve(eve of the wedding)...chai! Fri eve I went there, he has disappeared again - this time his section was open. I checked the bag for finished clothe - I no c ma cloth. I checked the 1 for un-sewn clothes - lo and behold, na there my material balance well.

I can't remember what happened after that, but I can remember waking up - surrounded by his colleagues and my brother...hahha.

My brother was 'gingering' army and LAPD (via arresting the guy)...hahahahaha

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by naijaboiy: 12:28am On Oct 19, 2014
hmmmm

Solo the tailor! embarassed

I can ne'er forget solo the tailor cry

I gave solo some yards of white material to sow me a white shirt for my school uniform back then cos I didn't like buying the ones our school tailors made.

This was 3weeks to resumption and solo had all the time in the universe to complete this work and even loosen the threads and sew it again.

I was to go on saturday and I came on thursday to collect my clothes,,only for solo to tell me that his mother had been sick and he went to the village to see her.

He said he was almost through and that I should come the next day. Little did I know that solo had not even cut the material talk more of sewing.

I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and come on saturday to collect my clothes. Solo was not around when I came,,only his apprentice. The apprentice gave the clothes that solo had sewn for me,,probably overnight.

I decided to test the clothes,,before leaving the shop...Lo and behold cheesy
One hand was longer than the other one,,the other shirt was pure sleeveless. Material was not enough for that one,,prolly cos he had wasted the material.

I left the clothes there angrily and went back home to manage the old uniforms I have.

Later on I heard he was arrested by another customer because he sold her material to another lady.

But solo's shop is still erect and he's still working and having customers shocked

That guy must be using some sort of jazz undecided

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 12:41am On Oct 19, 2014
naijaboiy:
hmmmm

I gave solo some yards of white material to sow me a white shirt for my school uniform back then cos I didn't like buying the ones our school tailors made.

This was 3weeks to resumption and solo had all the time in the universe to complete this work and even loosen the threads and sew it again.

I was to go on saturday and I came on thursday to collect my clothes,,only for solo to tell me that his mother had been sick and he went to the village to see her.

He said he was almost through and that I should come the next day. Little did I know that solo had not even cut the material talk more of sewing.

I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and come on saturday to collect my clothes. Solo was not around when I came,,only his apprentice. The apprentice gave the clothes that solo had sewn for me,,probably overnight.

One hand was longer than the other one,,the other shirt was pure sleeveless. Material was not enough for that one,,prolly cos he had wasted the material.

I left the clothes there angrily and went back home to manage the old uniforms I have.

Later on I heard he was arrested by another customer because he sold her material to another lady.

But solo's shop is still erect and he's still working and having customers shocked

Hahhahaha!
Lol @solo the tailor before na pharmacist? Abi butcher?
Customers go come na...soldier go - soldier come - barracks no suppose empty grin

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Pronmix(m): 1:20am On Oct 19, 2014
The story of Abubakar comes to mind when I saw this topic, dude was supposed to sow my uniform I would resume school with in about 3 weeks very much plenty time right (lol), I actually noticed something was wrong when he was taking measurements, tried explaining how and what style I want it to be he kept saying he understands and I thought yeah he must have been doing this a long time to know what's up very wrong, he said I should come a week later I showed up, his colleague said he's out of town but dropped message that I should check back next week, came again he said he's done but needs to iron it that I should come later, came back when he asked the shop was closed now its few days to resumption I began to panic cos since then he wouldn't pick mumsy's call, we had to set spies to catch him unawares he brought the "uniform" lol if it was qualified to be called that it looked like Fela's tailor was having a bad day, the trousers was so tight at the waist area my junior boy was squashed to one side and the legs very fat I could sow another one with them, the shirt was something else picture Fela's tight shirts hanging at the midriff, it so funny I couldn't get angry. I skipped school for a week so as to get another one cos I already outgrew the old ones. Tailors, mechanics, shoe makers they all act the same one disappointment or the other.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Rapsainot(m): 4:00am On Oct 19, 2014
naijaboiy:
hmmmm

lols grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Dygeasy(m): 4:42am On Oct 19, 2014
This one na recently o. This Eid Celebration that just passed. I gave my tailor my ankara material to sew normal buba and trousers for me one week to Sallah and I paid him right there to avoid rushing and any stupid excuses. I left and gave him all the time in the world. ONE day to sallah I went to his shop and he had finished my trouser and had designed the buba. All that was left was to couple the buba and my cloth don gallant. I gave him the thumbs up sign. Instinct just say make I test-drive my trouser na hin I wear am o. Before the trouser enter my waist, I just dey pull am dey twist my waist. Trouser wey dey use rope faa, no be belt o. I no talk, I wear am like that. I con look myself by myself, I see say one leg na pencil, the other na bootcut. What tha? I looked at him. Wetin be this? "Hope you know I must collect this cloth today?"

His apprentice said "Ehn na. Shebi we don finish am?"

"Finish wetin? This one wey I wear resemble cloth for your eyes? Na you invent this style?"

The guy dey look.

"Answer na." I told him. "Oga," I faced my tailor."Who sewed my cloth?"

He had to tell me it was his apprentice. A girl for that matter. "A girl sewed my clothes? We don too play abi?"

I collected my cloth on Sallah dah gangan and the cloth no balance up till today. They had to loosen, resew, cut over and over again.

67 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by naijaboiy: 7:15am On Oct 19, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Hahhahaha!
Lol @solo the tailor before na pharmacist? Abi butcher?
Customers go come na...soldier go - soldier come - barracks no suppose empty grin
Hehehehe...solo can ne'er be a pharmacist,,but he's a butcher to people's clothes grin
He cuts and wastes material anyhow.

I bin dey expect say by now dem go don use police drive am comot for that shop angry

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by naijaboiy: 7:16am On Oct 19, 2014
Dygeasy:
This one na recently o. This Eid Celebration that just passed. I gave my tailor my ankara material to sew normal buba and trousers for me one week to Sallah and I paid him right there to avoid rushing and any stupid excuses. I left and gave him all the time in the world. ONE day to sallah I went to his shop and he had finished my trouser and had designed the buba. All that was left was to couple the buba and my cloth don gallant. I gave him the thumbs up sign. Instinct just say make I test-drive my trouser na hin I wear am o. Before the trouser enter my waist, I just dey pull am dey twist my waist. Trouser wey dey use rope faa, no be belt o. I no talk, I wear am like that. I con look myself by myself, I see say one leg na pencil, the other na bootcut. What tha? I looked at him. Wetin be this? "Hope you know I must collect this cloth today?"

"Finish wetin? This one wey I wear resemble cloth for your eyes? Na you invent this style?"

The guy dey look.

He had to tell me it was his apprentice. A girl for that matter. "A girl sewed my clothes? We don too play abi?"

I collected my cloth on Sallah dah gangan and the cloth no balance up till today. They had to loosen, resew, cut over and over again.
Jesus gringringrin

My belle oo cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Dramadiddy(m): 7:41am On Oct 19, 2014
Dygeasy:

The guy dey look.

laughing in tears

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by englishmart(m): 8:09am On Oct 19, 2014
My uncle in Canada told me of how he had been severally disappointed by Nigerian tailors. That deterred me from giving Nigerian tailors my clothes.

Does any of you know Mr MC laurel from England? He's my personal tailor. never had he disappointed me. And never will he

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Dygeasy(m): 8:26am On Oct 19, 2014

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by daveP(m): 9:01am On Oct 19, 2014
Ah Uncle Larry!!

Event: erm cant rem( d vex don make me forget) wedding/ a cousin's church, dnt rem

Pidgin or queen's which preferable? Okay mixture.

I wan sew suit i give Uncle Larry cloth. I paid half and warned him(even if he was older) that i no go gree 'overtime'

my brother warned me sternly to do daily check up, but Pes wont allow me. So i jst waited till a day to the event.

Lo and behold, as i enter i saw an apprentice jacking away @ d machine. I didnt look well so i sat and looked outside.

"Where is he now? Hasnt he finished my suit?" naim he enter tell me she should stop and let me 'size it' just like that, i stood and tried it on.

You know those suit that resemble raincoats grin (reaching your thigh) or those ones that look as if it is majorly meant for pastors.... Thats how it looked on me. (navy blue)
The trouser fitted me, but imagine the two as one pair. When im nt scouting for passengers in Molue.

This is nt my suit now. Check well joor. He was just looking like mugu. The girl was the one saying...

"eh, manage am na, sebi na for just 3hrs. See( she began trying to adjust my own cloth on my body) e fit u now. ( i fume when tailors do that 'adjustment program')

Guy my money sharp sharp or(ur life?) i go call police o. ( by divine intervention one officer passed coincidentally)

wait what is your name again?

Aha oga larry??
( he seemed afraid at 1st threat)

Oh oh oh!! (This guy smoke something ni?)

the guy rush one tailor side con give me my own real suit(he gave it to another tailor). I no balance am o, i grab my suit comot.

(but i met like 6people sitting at his locked shop, expecting their clothes, aso ebi. The guy don travel faaaa)

5months later 'Uncle larry' shop don close.

The guy wan 'gba' me sha

if i accepted out of desperation. Confirm suit for don go be dat and them go sell am for boutique!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by mesoade(m): 10:29am On Oct 19, 2014
Na english dress i dey wear nw bt bak in dos days

My own tailor sew a trouser 4 me on christmas.

I been go baba saliu shop go collect my clothe.
I been dey hapi say i don get xmas clothe.

Not until i wore it and found out dat d trouser was very big tchai! I no knw say d concave lens wey d man dey put on stil dey give more defect to d man eye instead of correcting it.

Na im i bin go church,wen all of my friends cum dey flaunt clothe,i cum dey shame go sitdown for corner lyk a hibernating crocodile cum dey luk lyk snake wey don swallow bufallo.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 19, 2014
LOL. See funny comments.
Well it's not really easy being a tailor. Although some are really disappointing.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by uchihahinata: 10:44am On Oct 19, 2014
kulkatty:
LOL. See funny comments.
Well it's not really easy being a tailor. Although some are really disappointing.
How do you know undecided
I have been disappointed many times. Most time, I give them my cloth early and lie I will be needing it in a week time. Nd most time, it worked for me

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by rabimlomo: 11:51am On Oct 19, 2014
I remember the festival times. Those are most annoying.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by rabimlomo: 11:52am On Oct 19, 2014
uchihahinata:

How do you know undecided
I have been disappointed many times. Most time, I give them my cloth early and lie I will be needing it in a week time. Nd most time, it worked for me
That is a good idea.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by decode55(m): 12:54pm On Oct 19, 2014
Here's mine:

sometime around august, my level was tasked with the induction of our 100L students into the college of Medicine.

The date was around 22nd or so..

As such, we were/are meant to pick a uniform & sew something with it.

So after much much, I bought my own material o!

Hmm.

My coursemate referred me to one guy that sews stuff for him,

Hmm

Na there the problem start o!

I jejely went there with my friend, met with the tailor, chose a design, was told the price, I paid in full, was told to come & pick it up in a week's time, took his number & left.

I went a week later, which was on the tuesday preceding the friday the event was supposed to take place,

I nearly ran mad grin grin

The man was like: "ah! Tuesday don reach?"

grin grin

I ended up wearing something else for the induction sha

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Superstar007(m): 12:54pm On Oct 19, 2014
grin

I get my clothes from a private outfits design firm in Italy so I don't do Nigerian tailors.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by RichDad1(m): 12:54pm On Oct 19, 2014
My own story.

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by tnktosin(m): 12:54pm On Oct 19, 2014
Issorai
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
Am only Here to read comments and to laugh. Spreads mat. grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by daveemuobo(m): 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
.The most unreliable artisan profession since 1900..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by gbaskiboy: 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
naturally:
Hmmm, tailors, mechanics and carpenter behave almost the same way.

When you decide to look for another person, the new one will be efficiently effective for just few weeks/months before they start showing their real color.
that is just the way it is naturally

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by xynerise: 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
Trousers without pockets. I dropped my phone in my pocket and what I got was "Garbage in garbage out"

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by lawrenceunaa: 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
ok
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by lonelydora: 12:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
All these nonsense is the reason I decided to be buying ready-made shirts and trousers except for traditional attires which I send to my brother's tailor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Genevieve, Tiwa Savage Or Venita: Who Wore It Best / The Hairstyle That Pleases God As A Believer. / Male Transformation Wit Make Up (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.