Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,180 members, 7,780,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:20 AM

The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! (34793 Views)

The Hidden History Of White Slavery! / The Whiteman And Emergence Of New Societies In Igboland. / Do You Believe In African Bullet Proof? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Yinkame123(m): 5:35pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:
really op no one is focusing you to do a white wedding.
just say you don't want to do it, than coming here to rant that it's unafrican. There is always a court marriage which is way much cheaper and faster, if that's your problem.

the trad marriage does it offer a certificate to prove that you are both married? i think not correct me if am wrong. that the most important thing in a wedding the marriage certificate.

There are many things we do in Africa that's not a part of our culture from the beginning. you may as well throw your college degree in to the bin since it's un African. you may as well stop typing in English and start typing in your native dialect because every other thing is unafrican. you may as well stop wearing western attire because its unafrican. you may as well drop your religion and go back to the African religion of sango and all because its unAfrican.

if you claim you want to boost the African culture.

ladies who tend to just be normal and don't apply facial makeup are seen as members of the s.u. when she does she is suffering from cultural slavery.
The generalization in your post irritates me.
i know some ladies who prefer trad wedding to the white one.

everyone knows that the white wedding isn't from Christianity. so what exactly are you blabbing about?

inferiority complex
i laugh in Swahili ain't you part of those Africans?
who discriminate others who are trying to continue the old culture by referring to some of things done has barbaric? you will be the first to point fingers at people who decided to wore bare on their feet and tie wrapper.

#smh

hypocrisy at it's peak. undecided

you see the problem with Nigeria we give more value to papers rather than substance that make things work. If it is certificated that will make you do white wedding or court wedding then something is wrong with that.

2 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by bawz012(m): 5:36pm On Feb 23, 2015
u can argue from today till forever... but d point is that every one has the right to choose wat he /she thinks is right for him/herself... period!

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Iyowuski: 5:37pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:

i get that, but whose fault is that?

ask yourself that question.

no one is putting anything above the culture if we were, there will be no trad wedding at all to begin with.

like i mentioned earlier a certificate is not issued after a trad wedding so indirectly when you sleep with her after the trad, it is seen as not right. As you guys are according to the law not married.

joy u and certificate.... abi INEC go ask for am wen i want run for election
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Yinkame123(m): 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2015
We need to understand the contest of the argument of the writer to really appreciate its substance. While we tend to mix Marriage and Wedding together despite there clear difference, our suitable ladies are refusing getting married to eligible suitors because they cannot afford the so-called white wedding which is just an ordinary ceremony that contributed no value to the newly married couples. That is more reason why you see ladies that above 30 and 40s still remained single. If you married at age 40 or above how will you not use your pension paying school fees?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Sharp9: 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2015
tiamiyukunle69:
Your head dey there @ Op. Even the bible supports only Traditional wedding. The bible said so shall a man leaves his parents to cleave with his wife after the bride's parents has willingly released their daughter as a result of payment of bride price. The case of Isaac and Rebecca comes to mind
We can even invite d pastor(s) to come and bless d union during d traditional wedding. win win for both
d church and tration. simple

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Ericsdm55(m): 5:42pm On Feb 23, 2015
Some post here are very irratating. It's sad that some people took this post personal. The op gave his points and they were very convincing. We don't need white wedding only by choice.

2 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by tete7000(m): 5:48pm On Feb 23, 2015
macof:

look at this slowpoke. Wedding in church is our culture? What fool trained u up?

You know your problem? You are poorly educated and rebellious towards anything church and you carry that into different aspects of life. Culture I repeat is dynamic (ask people who went to school and are trained in this area). Elements from other cultures that gets in contact with our traditional society gets assimilated into our culture and becomes part of our lives and culture. Christianity if we are to list elements of our contemporary African culture will be listed as one of our modern religion. Since our forefathers embraced Christianity, they invariably embraced white wedding, so if you don't want or believe in white wedding its your right; find a wife from the traditional religion, pay her bride price and go to the shrine to marry her. Stop talking trash and confuse people here. Many who are Christians are not oppose to white wedding. Leave them with their right and conscience. You can also see you are the illiterate and slowpoke.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by stinggy(m): 5:48pm On Feb 23, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:
White wedding is useless. As a matter of fact I don't even believe in wedding sef.
It is pure waste of money. Why sign a piece of paper or wear one silly ring to prove my love to you?

1, 000 likes

You sound so much like a friend of mine, very brainy.

Why attach so much import to a silly sheet of paper or that miserable piece of metal

I am African. I hate white weddings!

Chimkaire, it is still 12AM, meet me under the agreed Oshodi bridge and let's tie the knot kiss grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by bengoodcreature: 5:49pm On Feb 23, 2015
My bro. God wld bless u for this post, many young men now are so scared of geting maried cs of d white-weding expenses, dont forget that without trad , there wld be no white weding, let Africans cut our Coat acording to our material tanx
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by thaoriginator: 5:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
God bless the OP
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by devour129: 5:51pm On Feb 23, 2015
I believe the most important wedding is the traditional wedding .this is done in presence of family ,kinsmen and witnesses . In Igbo land ,the woman goes home with the hubby that day( where am from ) that means she is married , her bride price has been paid and they both can do whatever they want with their bodies . White and court is just formalities.

3 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by todayguest(m): 5:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
Should we discard anything western and pick up our old cultures, because we don't want to be termed slaves? I think we should thank the westerners for coming. They have unarguably changed us for the better.However, White wedding(wearing suits and gowns) shouldn't be made compulsory in our church weddings. Pastors should accept intending couples in our own attires.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by tete7000(m): 5:57pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:

Nobody forced u to buy the idea I hold either. So save yourself the stress!!!

The way you talk out your idea sounded imposing and you make it sound like the whole world should listen and buy your idea. If you doubt me, review your language. It is why I replied you. I am a Christian, I believe in Church's wedding for what it is as much as I respect a certain aspect of traditional values. Christians have long ago renounced some of their traditional values and embraced certain values that accompany their new found faith. Church wedding is part of it and every elements of that ceremony has a significance. It is for serious Christians and not for everyone. You are free to opt out of it if you are not a Christian.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by devour129: 5:58pm On Feb 23, 2015
bengoodcreature:
My bro. God wld bless u for this post, many young men now are so scared of geting maried cs of d white-weding expenses, dont forget that without trad , there wld be no white weding, let Africans cut our Coat acording to our material tanx
why should they be scared ? A person scared of expenses just have complex ! Do your thing according to your pocket , no body can force you to over spend unless you want to . The truth is nobody cares unless you put it out there. Went for a white wedding in Abuja on a Friday evening and reception in Apple bees wuse 2 . The couple never marry ? They don marry if you are busy thinking it was low key for your pocket . Went for another wedding in lag and the reception was in the guys home ,matter don end . There's no problem with doing all three but there's a problem when you want to do like your friends when you don't have like them. You can do a low key wedding and 20 years down the line renew your vows in a splendid way. Don't get carried away , cut your coat according to your size and marry someone who doesn't give a hoot about society ideas of wedding .

4 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by tete7000(m): 5:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:

Nobody forced u to buy the idea I hold either. So save yourself the stress!!!

The way you talk out your idea sounded imposing and you make it sound like the whole world should listen and buy your idea. If you doubt me, review your language. It is why I replied you. I am a Christian, I believe in Church's wedding for what it is as much as I respect a certain aspect of traditional values. Christians have long ago renounced some of their traditional values and embraced certain values that accompany their new found faith. Church wedding is part of it and every elements of that ceremony has a significance. It is for serious Christians and not for everyone. You are free to opt out of it if you are not a Christian.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by SIRTee15: 6:01pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:
just say you don't want to do it, than coming here to rant that it's unafrican. There is always a court marriage which is way much cheaper and faster, if that's your problem.

the trad marriage does it offer a certificate to prove that you are both married? i think not correct me if am wrong. that the most important thing in a wedding the marriage certificate.

There are many things we do in Africa that's not a part of our culture from the beginning. you may as well throw your college degree in to the bin since it's un African. you may as well stop typing in English and start typing in your native dialect because every other thing is unafrican. you may as well stop wearing western attire because its unafrican. you may as well drop your religion and go back to the African religion of sango and all because its unAfrican.

ladies who tend to just be normal and don't apply facial makeup are seen as members of the s.u. when she does she is suffering from cultural slavery.

everyone knows that the white wedding isn't from Christianity. so what exactly are you blabbing about?

inferiority complex
who discriminate others who are trying to continue the old culture by referring to some of things done has barbaric? you will be the first to point fingers at people who decided to wore bare on their feet and tie wrapper.

#smh

The fact that you got so many likes for this rubbish you wrote shows the high number of empty skulls residing in this country.
for your information, Africans were the first set of people to open universities in this world.
go and read about university of Timbuktu, a school founded more than 1000 years ago. at its peak it had over 25,000 students and 700,000 books.
it awarded degrees in medicine, mathematics, and postgraduate degrees.

pls, grab a book and read before coming online to display your ignorance.

6 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by ribbit: 6:03pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:

You are not a slave? Hmmm? But your post clearly shows you are! Well, I'm not surprised. You are a female and I have clearly stated it that females are agents of cultural slavery!
absolutely..

Nigerian women are the reasons why our culture is dying today..

Even if you pack 100 atheist or traditionalist here now you will barely see 3females amongst.. They so much like anything foreign... I still don't get why. If you go to churches today, na women dey full there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by tete7000(m): 6:09pm On Feb 23, 2015
Yinkame123:
We need to understand the contest of the argument of the writer to really appreciate its substance. While we tend to mix Marriage and Wedding together despite there clear difference, our suitable ladies are refusing getting married to eligible suitors because they cannot afford the so-called white wedding which is just an ordinary ceremony that contributed no value to the newly married couples. That is more reason why you see ladies that above 30 and 40s still remained single. If you married at age 40 or above how will you not use your pension paying school fees?

My brother, the grand ceremony that often accompanies church's wedding is a choice. I am a Catholic and have witnessed many quiet weddings done on week days at morning masses with only few family members and invited guest in attendance. People can do without lavish spending at Church's marriage but marriage has special significance in Christianity and as such a true Christian cannot dispense with it. It is only God acting true his minister that can consummate marriage. Any other without God is spiritually null And void.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:
As the name implies, 'white wedding' is a cultural way of getting married in the western world. Why do Africans now see it as superior to the normal African cultural marriage where two families meet and dowry is paid? Of what sense does it make to do African traditional marriage and still crown it all with this so-called annoying white wedding? Must we Africans wear those ill-fitting suits and gowns to prove that we have now been married? I personally think Africans are relegating their culture to the background and promoting the white man's culture!

I overheard a colleague of mine at work telling someone that it is a sin to sleep with your 'wife' if the white wedding is not done, even though the dowry has been paid. To me, that is the highest level of cultural inferiority and slavery!!! Are we saying that our cultural marriage is not sufficient? That it must be completed by white wedding?

Our women are not helping matters because they are the most significant agents of cultural slavery. With so much artificial stuffs on them-fake hair(Brazilian, Indian, Peruvian, Venezuelan, Colombian etc), fake eye-lashes, fake nails, fake names, etc, none would want to be married only in our traditional way. Tell a naija girl that you would want only a trad and see the speed she go take leave you. Even the speed of a Bugatti Veron dey learn.

White wedding, over the years, has been erroneously seen by many Africans (Nigerians) as a Christian practice. If truth be told, white wedding has nothing to do with Christianity. All the marriages that are recorded in the Bible were done in the trad way...from Genesis to Revelation. Even the one Jesus attended and performed His first miracle was done in the Jewish trad way. Jesus never went there as a bishop, pastor, etc to officiate the marriage. He went as every other guests.

We need to promote our culture because the whites do not marry in our own way. This reminds me of Mr Okadu and Mr Tsiba, characters in Kobina Sekyi's 'The Blinkard'.

White wedding is useless and irrelevant in our culture. It makes mockery of us.

Lets discuss this monster eating the brains of our people? Thanks. wink

It's better as you said we made our culture inferior to there's,because if you look at some African(nigerian) marriage practice and culture like, floging the groom in fulanis culture, apesing some nonsense stature gods and others,will tell you it's better we follow there's.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by otipoju(m): 6:14pm On Feb 23, 2015
KpagoGIN:

Yes bro! traditional first and then thanks giving in church on sunday......... and reception starts and ends with the traditional and in the traditional venue.

When I was in Lagos, I no too dey wear native, when I reach here , I lived with some white friends, I rock different variety so try dem sey make I help dem get one.

One even said, I like you a lot, you are so comfortable in your own skin.

I said yes. Being african allows me to experience life to the fullest unlike you guys. You society is well organized but that is where it ends.

I teach all of them to say " no wahala".

I love being Nigerian .

3 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by SIRTee15: 6:17pm On Feb 23, 2015
tete7000:

Oga
I'm a Christian but I don't your theory
Personal revelation is subject to different interpretations, so don't come here and expound unsubstantiated facts as the truth.
Clearly show us in the scriptures where this so called church wedding is a must.
if u fail to do so, then don't come here and ascribe church wedding as a core value to the Christian faith.
please, start acting like the bereans' and stop allowing your pastor to brainwash you.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Neplusultra(f): 6:17pm On Feb 23, 2015
Thank God its just an opinion undecided

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by SIRTee15: 6:19pm On Feb 23, 2015
[quote author=tete7000 post=31012279]

-
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Rapmoney(m): 6:21pm On Feb 23, 2015
ribbit:
absolutely..

Nigerian women are the reasons why our culture is dying today..

Even if you pack 100 atheist or traditionalist here now you will barely see 3females amongst.. They so much like anything foreign... I still don't get why. If you go to churches today, na women dey full there.
They prefer to be seen as slaves of the white man's culture.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Cornel88(m): 6:23pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:

There are many things we do in Africa that's not a part of our culture from the beginning. you may as well stop typing in English and start typing in your native dialect because every other thing is unafrican. you may as well stop wearing western attire because its unafrican. you may as well drop your religion and go back to the African religion of sango and all because its unAfrican.

inferiority complex

#smh

*edited*

[b] I abandon this thread so many months ago and now it is on front page shocked

Fortunately and Unfortunately for me, my post is on the first page.

one thing i have learnt on nl is that you can't answer everyone who mentions you in a comment,if you do you might probably give yourself high blood pressure.
Yes, i admit that i sounded ignorant in some areas of my post and i made some blunders and mistakes esp In The area of Education and Certificate. I Mixed up Civilization with westernization during my little outburst also.

But then with all the mentions am getting it seems that most people didn't even understand what i was trying to pass across and are attacking me based on this "mistake".

I don't know why no one noticed the generalization in the op's post, i get his point but he didn't present his points properly in my opinion hence my own outburst.

The white wedding is not compulsory and it will never be. It is the foolish follow follow mentality we have in Nigeria that is killing us. Almost everyone wants to show off and they want everyone to know they are getting married hence after traditional they go on to do the white wedding.

So it is a matter of choice and perspective. To some of us it might look insecure and insane. But to some it is just normal and they are celebrating one of the best days of their lives.

so who are we to judge? [/b]

Joy you fall wendy hand for this post. Eya, i feel for you o.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by canalily(m): 6:23pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:

There are many things we do in Africa that's not a part of our culture from the beginning. you may as well stop typing in English and start typing in your native dialect because every other thing is unafrican. you may as well stop wearing western attire because its unafrican. you may as well drop your religion and go back to the African religion of sango and all because its unAfrican.

inferiority complex

#smh

*edited*

[b] I abandon this thread so many months ago and now it is on front page shocked

Fortunately and Unfortunately for me, my post is on the first page.

one thing i have learnt on nl is that you can't answer everyone who mentions you in a comment,if you do you might probably give yourself high blood pressure.
Yes, i admit that i sounded ignorant in some areas of my post and i made some blunders and mistakes esp In The area of Education and Certificate. I Mixed up Civilization with westernization during my little outburst also.

But then with all the mentions am getting it seems that most people didn't even understand what i was trying to pass across and are attacking me based on this "mistake".

I don't know why no one noticed the generalization in the op's post, i get his point but he didn't present his points properly in my opinion hence my own outburst.

The white wedding is not compulsory and it will never be. It is the foolish follow follow mentality we have in Nigeria that is killing us. Almost everyone wants to show off and they want everyone to know they are getting married hence after traditional they go on to do the white wedding.

So it is a matter of choice and perspective. To some of us it might look insecure and insane. But to some it is just normal and they are celebrating one of the best days of their lives.

so who are we to judge? [/b]

pls direct me, where did Jesus give certificate of marriage in the Bibleundecided
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by tete7000(m): 6:30pm On Feb 23, 2015
SIRTee15:

Oga
I'm a Christian but I don't your theory
Personal revelation is subject to different interpretations, so don't come here and expound unsubstantiated facts as the truth.
Clearly show us in the scriptures where this so called church wedding is a must.
if u fail to do so, then don't come here and ascribe church wedding as a core value to the Christian faith.
please, start acting like the bereans' and stop allowing your pastor to brainwash you.

If you claim you are a Christian and you want to start sleeping with a woman God has not joined with, then you must be living in grand delusion. The bible says 'what God has joined together, let no man put asunder'. If I may ask: 'At what point does God join a couple together?' At traditional marriage or in the Church? Traditional aspect were actually prelude to the ultimate Church's ceremony. Traditional aspect are only done to fulfil all righteousness (i.e. Done not to offend our traditional values not in opposition with Christianity), for a Christian they don't translate into legitimate marriage before God. This things have been before you are and they will remain after you are gone, your opinion changes nothing but you can start your own church and spread your own doctrine. Many have done that but please don't impose in on everyone. My church has a structure and doesn't have pastors who impose personal opinion on members. Only Churches found by your type does that but I am immune to your type of rebellious ideas.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by tiamiyukunle69(m): 6:36pm On Feb 23, 2015
Sharp9:
We can even invite d pastor(s) to come and bless d union during d traditional wedding. win win for both
d church and tration. simple
abi o. At least no be curse we go curse for there now. grin
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by joywendy(f): 6:46pm On Feb 23, 2015
Cornel88:
Joy you fall wendy hand for this post. Eya, i feel for you o.

lol!

Thanks, but pls don't. I brought this upon myself by commenting on something i had little knowledge on and letting my emotions guide me.

It is all part of life, at least i have learnt something today smiley

4 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Obaino2013(m): 6:55pm On Feb 23, 2015
Justfollowit:

This is different. Yes, we imitate other western cultures. It is understandable for practices we have no alternatives and we cannot do without in this modern age however what is the essence of keeping those western cultures we can do without especially when we have got better alternatives. angry

Two different cultural weddings for the same purpose, I say it is insanity and inferiority complex

kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by timoney45(m): 7:04pm On Feb 23, 2015
Misogynist2014:
If you have money do it, if you don't, its not by force. All man seeks for is happiness, if you can guarantee it by doing so, so be it. Truth be told, its not compulsory, but for the kind of society we live, its necessary.
Necessary for promotion in your work place or to attract customers/clients to your bizness or...?
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by devour129: 7:07pm On Feb 23, 2015
tete7000:

If you claim you are a Christian and you want to start sleeping with a woman God has not joined with, then you must be living in grand delusion. The bible says 'what God has joined together, let no man put asunder'. If I may ask: 'At what point does God join a couple together?' At traditional marriage or in the Church? Traditional aspect were actually prelude to the ultimate Church's ceremony. Traditional aspect are only done to fulfil all righteousness (i.e. Done not to offend our traditional values not in opposition with Christianity), for a Christian they don't translate into legitimate marriage before God. This things have been before you are and they will remain after you are gone, your opinion changes nothing but you can start your own church and spread your own doctrine. Many have done that but please don't impose in on everyone. My church has a structure and doesn't have pastors who impose personal opinion on members. Only Churches found by your type does that but I am immune to your type of rebellious ideas.
what about the bible saying whatever you do to your neighbor ,you done for me or whatever in bound on earth is bound in heaven . You cant say God won't recognise trad wedding. In fact to each man his own , the most important thing is we have been given the ability to discern what is right or wrong . I strongly believe trad in presence of our presence of our earthly presence trumps all others , the rest is just the paper which in Nigeria to an extent doesn't mean much coz people still do whatever they like .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

#OjudeOba Ogun: Masquerade Danafojura On Fire, Pulls Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? / Pictures Of Lovely Geles You Wouldn't Mind Wearing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.