Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,235 members, 7,780,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:31 PM

Bad Attitude Of Nigerian Youths-funsho Michaels - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bad Attitude Of Nigerian Youths-funsho Michaels (767 Views)

Army Condemns Cowardly Attitude Of Soldiers Who Fled From Bokoharam / Court Approves Suit Against Tinubu Over Murder Of Funsho Williams / Cemetery Attendant Wants Funsho Williams Murder Case Retried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bad Attitude Of Nigerian Youths-funsho Michaels by shogat(m): 10:13am On Oct 20, 2014
Ever since I was young have always heard that the youths are the future of this great country, Nigeria. I can’t dispute that because the youths are estimated to constitute 70% of Nigeria’spopulation, So I can unequivocally say that if Nigeria is failing, the youths are to take the blame and they are also tantamount to the edifice of Nigeria. We have been facing obnoxious leadership problems in the country for a while and solutions don’t seems to be forth coming and what the youths keepsdoing is to blame the leaders and not look for solutions.

I see 2015 as tomorrow because it is fast approaching like a tsunami and it isan opportunity to determine the future of this country for bad or good. But the question I want to ask the youths is that- what are we doing to enhance a credible election in 2015? Are we still going to trade our future for money or temporary material things?

The reason why am writing this piece is just to bring to our notice the alarming rate at which the youths do not participate in the elections. We don’t engage in partisan politics and also majority of the youths don’t even vote. Am privileged to be doing my intern at an INEC office in my state and I noticed that most people participating in the PVC registration and collection are not youths, it is disheartening to see aged men and women, even octogenarians queue-up to get their voter’s card whereas the vibrant youths are nowhere to be found. Thank God it is jet age, all what the youth does is to attack,altercate, and castigate each other on social networking websites and blogs,political thuggery has now gone digital. Am also guilty of that but what we face to realize is that all the political analysis, philosophies, debates, arguments on the internet ends there. The most significant benefit of the socialmedia during elections is for campaign and we should know that our thoughts there don’t influence the outcome of the elections.

Also when you get to political party’s youth meetings, you begin to wonder whether those present are truly youths. I don’t blame them though, I blame the youths that finds it hard to participate. Maybe we are afraid to associate with corrupt politicians and being too religious or just too busy with our daily activities but believe you me; we can’t achieve the change we need with such nonchalant attitude.

It is high time we stopped being frivolous and take our radicalism, activism, analysis, opinions on the social media and keypads to the polling units. If only we know the level at which the youths can influence the elections then we will begin to participate in politics and get the change we need, our dream of being the foundation of this country only be a surreal.

follow on twitter @st_shogat

(1) (Reply)

PUNCH Readers Offer To Pay Abandoned Children’s Fees. Nairalanders Can Do More / Osun Tribunal B-r-e-a-k-i-n-g News!!! / Zambian Vice President Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.