Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,909 members, 7,806,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

Nigerian Breaks Academic Record With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Breaks Academic Record With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University (680 Views)

Agbo Odeh-Hillary Of BSU Breaks Academic Record After 17 Carryovers / Nigerian Breaks Academic Record At University Of Manchester!!! Photos / Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Breaks Academic Record With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Naijavibz1: 10:37pm On Oct 20, 2014
A 22-year-old Nigerian has emerged one of the top graduating students of John Hopkins University in the United States. He obtained a Grade Point Average of 3.98 out of a possible 4.0 to earn a degree in Neurosciences, SEGUN OLUGBILE writes.

A 22-year-old Nigerian, Emmanuel Ohuabunwa, has made history at John Hopkins University, United States of America. Ohuabunwa from Arochukwu, Abia State, has done the nation proud by becoming the first black man to make a Grade Point Average of 3.98 out of 4.0 to bag a degree in Neurosciences in the university. He was also adjudged as having the highest honours during the graduation that was held on May 24 this year.

For his efforts, he has won a scholarship to Yale University to pursue a degree in medicine. Besides, he has been inducted into Phi Beta Kappa Society, a prestigious honour group that features membership of 17 US Presidents, 37 US Supreme Court Justices, and 136 Nobel Prize winners.

According to Wikipedia, The Phi Beta Kappa Society is an academic honour society. Its mission is to “celebrate and advocate excellence in the liberal arts and sciences” and induct “the most outstanding students of arts and sciences at America’s leading colleges and universities.”

It was founded at The College of William and Mary on December 5, 1776, and thus it is the oldest honour society for the liberal arts and sciences and among the oldest undergraduate societies in the US.

In an online interview with our correspondent, Ohuabunwa, who was born in Okota, Lagos and attended Lilly Fields Primary School, Lagos, said he left Nigeria after his junior secondary school education at Air Force Comprehensive School, Ibadan, Oyo State.

“My parents moved the whole family when I was 13 years old. I was about to begin SS1 at Air Force, Ibadan. When I got to the US, I was enrolled with my age mates, which meant at 13, I was in middle school. I went to Fondren Middle School, which was in the middle of the ghetto. That was one of the darkest years for me because I encountered a lot of peer pressure. Some of the students, ignorant about Africa, bullied me and called me names such as ‘African booty scratcher’ because to them, Africans were dirty and scratched their butts all the time.

“Some asked me if I lived in mud huts and ate faeces for breakfast. I remember one day, when I was walking to the school bus, a boy came from behind and punched me in the face, called me an African and walked away. It took everything in me not to retaliate. I knew that God had put me in the U.S for a purpose and it did not involve fighting or selling drugs or doing the wrong things.

“My experience during that year gave me a thick skin. I learned to stand for what I thought was right even when the opposition seemed insurmountable. I also learned to look at the positive in all situations. Even though these kids were bullying me, I was still gaining an opportunity to school in America and nothing would stop me from making the best of this opportunity.

“The shocker was that the kid that punched me in the face was black. I would have expected the blacks to be nicer to me. Nevertheless, I don’t blame those kids because they were ignorant about Africa. All they knew about us was the stuff they had watched on TV or documentaries, showing primitive African tribes, living in the jungle and making noises like monkeys.
click link to continue reading.
http://naijavibz..com/2014/10/nigerian-breaks-academic-record-with.html

Re: Nigerian Breaks Academic Record With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by dj187: 11:11pm On Oct 20, 2014
Nigeria is indeed a great country with loads of highly intelligent individuals but faces a leadership & accountability problem courtesy of our politicians

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Breaks Academic Record With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by widowhusband: 2:59am On Oct 21, 2014
Still lamenting, very few views and comments over such academic stunts. like ive said in another tread its like we youth are getting very allergic to acada issues.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Breaks Academic Record With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 21, 2014
Re: Nigerian Breaks Academic Record With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Naijavibz1: 6:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
widowhusband:
Still lamenting, very few views and comments over such academic stunts. like ive said in another tread its like we youth are getting very allergic to acada issues.
You are very correct.

(1) (Reply)

Direct Link To Check Your Admmission Status / Diploma In International Financial Reporting / How To Use The Apostrophe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.