Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,476 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years (684 Views)

My Father-in-law Is Five Years Younger Than Me... But Calls Me Son' / 14 Year Old Boy Jailed For Killing Step Mother's Chicken / Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by roccio(m): 9:47am On Oct 21, 2014
South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has been jailed for five years for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Judge Thokozile Masipa, issuing the ruling in court in Pretoria, also gave Pistorius a three-year suspended sentence for a firearms charge.

The prosecution had called for a minimum 10-year sentence; the defence for community service and house arrest.Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide but cleared of murder.
'Feeling of unease' Judge Masipa said: "Sentencing is about achieving the right balance. Sentencing is not a perfect exercise.

She said there must be a balance between retribution, deterrence and rehabilitation.
The judge began summarising the evidence brought before the trial.

Ms Vergeer had argued Pistorius would be "a lot more vulnerable than the normal man" in jail.
But Judge Masipa said she was sure prisons were equipped to cater for the requirements of a special needs inmate.

http://www.tundeola.com/2014/10/breaking-news-oscar-pistorius-jailed.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29700457

Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by MuguliciousMUGU: 9:51am On Oct 21, 2014
Wow too bad
Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by twaintoy(f): 9:56am On Oct 21, 2014
Good for him
Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by kennyslim1(m): 10:02am On Oct 21, 2014
5years?? His career done end be that...but he should have known better than killing his gf na...can't he resolve whatever differences they had in another way instead of taken her life?
Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by pickabeau1: 10:38am On Oct 21, 2014
She also said she had a "feeling of unease" at what she called an overemphasis on the athlete's vulnerability.

However, she said Pistorius had made an "enormous contribution to society", in his charity work and in changing the public perception of disability.

The judge then read out a quote from previous legal opinion, saying that if sentences were too lenient, the administration of justice may fall into disrepute.

She said she found the suggestions of sentences made by defence witnesses "not appropriate".

A non-custodial sentence would "send the wrong message to the community", she said.

The three-year suspended term was for unlawfully firing a gun in a restaurant, in a separate incident before the Steenkamp killing.

coogar
Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by edwife(f): 11:04am On Oct 21, 2014
I don't like this a bit,how sad and unfair.... embarassed

Poor Reeva,she didn't get justice...

I guess the likes of OJ Simpson,oscar will always get away with atrocities.

Though OJ is paying for it somehow cheesy.
Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by sammieguze(m): 11:23am On Oct 21, 2014
Well... Wat can i say.

Career don end be that. Poor reeva
Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by bubbleforth: 11:27am On Oct 21, 2014
I heard it live on BBC radio online while it happened. The guy spent a lot to avoid dying in the prison. In all, he may be due for a probation in 10 months, as I heard on BBC.

Also, even if he's released in 5 years, I heard that he can't compete internationally. He's spent a lot in this case and would have to work harder in the future to avoid entering relegation in terms of cash: his wealthy family can help him out in this scenario anyway.
Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by Gorgeous58(f): 11:43am On Oct 21, 2014
It's better than nothing. Though some critics will not be overjoyed by this verdict but justice has been served. If it was Nigeria's justice system, the matter will keep stalling till forever.
Re: Breaking News: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by modestdude(m): 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2014
But who gave him the name Pistol or is it Pistorius? His name led him to his folly cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Bizman Lured To Death In Student Hostel / Unbreakable Bond,unbreakable Bond......... / Can Someone Please Clerify This For Me??????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.