Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,468 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Set-up Of Charity Section - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Set-up Of Charity Section (5653 Views)

Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? / She Did Not Plan To Die (TRIBUTE To My Beloved Grandma Mrs Charity Nnoli ) / A Nairalander Referred Abroad For Treatment Needs Contact Info Of Charity Orgs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by akinsadeez(m): 7:23pm On Oct 24, 2014
EfemenaXY:

How would it be graced by dupes and scammers if:

1. The only people allowed to create threads in that section are the Admin and / or selected mods?

2. If the only threads posted on there have already been verified and vetted by TEHN?

3. I'm yet to come across any charity that single handedly reaches all the really poor and needy. How would this one be any different?

4. What are your proposed suggestions?

[b]Are we talking about creating a charity section or a TEHN section? If you are gonna create a section about charity properly, make it open. Why must everything have to go through TEHN alone? So if I want to help someone who is in need, but as an individual I don't support or agree to TEHN's methods for whatever reason then what happens?

In real life there are different charities with different interests and you can choose whichever one you want to help according to your ''taste'' or personal convictions. I just read about the man who funded the research of the cell transplant that led to a man with spinal injuries walking last week. He did it because his teenage son had a spinal cord injury years ago, and since then the man has sunk all his money specifically into foundations dealing with spinal injuries. That is his own choice. Someone else might feel he wants to help breast cancer patients or orphans only.

Again, if you are gonna make it that the only people creating threads are the mods/selected mods, you are subjecting a lot of people's fate to the whims and caprices of a few. So if a person is genuinely needy but doesn't know how to get in touch with a mod, or even gets in touch with one of them but the said mod disbelieves his story, are you saying that is the end for him/her? let me give an example. A young man was desperately in need of 30,000 naira recently. He wrote to so many celebrities online but they all ignored/disbelieved him except Don jazzy who paid the money into his account. Now lets imagine that the celebrities who did not believe his story were the mods/super mods on Nairaland. That means his case is closed.

I think the OP here was advocating about creating a section that can reach across to people irrespective of who they are but the Tehn people maybe due to preexisting issues have hijacked it and turned it into a TEHN v Seun thread. Someone even asked whether Seun wants TEHN on nairaland or not? smh[/b]

1 Like

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Gboliwe: 7:29pm On Oct 24, 2014
Seun:
Try reading the first post.

Well, me I have taken time to read all the posts and even counted the lines and I know the number of posts hidden but still don't know what the ish is here.

Do you have a problem with encouraging charity and helping the "poor", the needy, the sick and downtrodden? Why is that? I honestly don't know why you are averse to the idea.
While creating a new section may not be the most important thing to do now, I think you should encourage the TEHN group in whatever way you can now. Not everybody has the time to go all out looking for who to help offline, but most of us spend work and play time on nairaland and can help others since our lives are mostly online.
There are times when I meet or stumble across someone who needs help. I help the most I can but most often, this help I help does not have any permanent effect or a lasting effect. For instance, I may come across someone whose immediate needs when analysed financially is about N20k, I may not have that much to help so I give him N2k, it doesn't help the individual but when there is a pool of resources, it helps and sustains one. It may seem like what TEHN is doing is a drop in an ocean but I do know that for every single soul who has had a touch from TEHN, their lives have not been the same. That is charity.

And if you are trying to protect the reputation of the forum by being a clog in the wheels of TEHN, I wonder why we still have scammers defrauding users in the forum. The users running the show in TEHN have not been involved in any untoward action, the least you can do is encourage them and give them a free rein.

If any member feels bad/suspects or has been defrauded through TEHN they should come forward and state it, until that happens, TEHN should be allowed and encouraged here on nairaland for people like me who love helping anonymously.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 24, 2014
Seun:
In thine land - not thine Internet!!
But we can via this forum after well investigation.
You know is very had now to diffrentiate between "Auto Mechanic engineers and Mad people"
So lets be careful.
...Shalom...
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by chibwike(m): 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2014
EfemenaXY:

How would it be graced by dupes and scammers if:

1. The only people allowed to create threads in that section are the Admin and / or selected mods?

2. If the only threads posted on there have already been verified and vetted by TEHN?

3. I'm yet to come across any charity that single handedly reaches all the really poor and needy. How would this one be any different?

4. What are your proposed suggestions?
well, if its gon be handle strictly by the admins, and its gon be well organised....why not....lets make it happen
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by chibwike(m): 7:36pm On Oct 24, 2014
TheCongo:

This family was leaving under the bridge with no internet nor phone. They never heard or been on Nairaland. Nevertheless, they were rescued by TEHN through Nairaland.
Please look at this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/801338/man-raises-family-under-lagos
wow
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Gboliwe: 7:36pm On Oct 24, 2014
akinsadeez:

[b]Are we talking about creating a charity section or a TEHN section? If you are gonna create a section about charity properly, make it open. Why must everything have to go through TEHN alone? So if I want to help someone who is in need, but as an individual I don't support or agree to TEHN's methods for whatever reason then what happens?

In real life there are different charities with different interests and you can choose whichever one you want to help according to your ''taste'' or personal convictions. I just read about the man who funded the research of the cell transplant that led to a man with spinal injuries walking last week. He did it because his teenage son had a spinal cord injury years ago, and since then the man has sunk all his money specifically into foundations dealing with spinal injuries. That is his own choice. Someone else might feel he wants to help breast cancer patients or orphans only.

Again, if you are gonna make it that the only people creating threads are the mods/selected mods, you are subjecting a lot of people's fate to the whims and caprices of a few. So if a person is genuinely needy but doesn't know how to get in touch with a mod, or even gets in touch with one of them but the said mod disbelieves his story, are you saying that is the end for him/her? let me give an example. A young man was desperately in need of 30,000 naira recently. He wrote to so many celebrities online but they all ignored/disbelieved him except Don jazzy who paid the money into his account. Now lets imagine that the celebrities who did not believe his story were the mods/super mods on Nairaland. That means his case is closed.

I think the OP here was advocating about creating a section that can reach across to people irrespective of who they are but the Tehn people maybe due to preexisting issues have hijacked it and turned it into a TEHN v Seun thread. Someone even asked whether Seun wants TEHN on nairaland or not? smh[/b]

TEHN was borne out of the various threads of people seeking help here on nairaland. Most users here are Nigerians and without mincing words, a good number of Nigerians are corrupt and wouldn't bat an eyelid defrauding others. Some are good at story telling, some are good at crying, point is, there isn't much we/i could do for these users because my first instinct as a Nigerian is "them don come again" but once I see a need verified, I for one I am certain the one is really in need. That is what TEHN sought to achieve. They didn't hijack anything

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by EfemenaXY: 7:45pm On Oct 24, 2014
akinsadeez:

Are we talking about creating a charity section or a TEHN section? If you are gonna create a section about charity properly, make it open. Why must everything have to go through TEHN alone? So if I want to help someone who is in need, but as an individual I don't support or agree to TEHN's methods for whatever reason then what happens?

If it's made open to all and sundry, then how do you prevent potential donors from being fleeced by your myriad of scammers creating fake handles to support their fake requests?

Without TEHN involved for verifying and vetting the claims that will eventually pour through, how do you propose potential donors be protected from online 419ers and thieves pretending to be what they aren't with their sob stories?

akinsadeez:
In real life there are different charities with different interests and you can choose whichever one you want to help according to your ''taste'' or personal convictions. [s]I just read about the man who funded the research of the cell transplant that led to a man with spinal injuries walking last week. He did it because his teenage son had a spinal cord injury years ago, and since then the man has sunk all his money specifically into foundations dealing with spinal injuries. That is his own choice. Someone else might feel he wants to help breast cancer patients or orphans only.[/s]

We're speaking the same language here.

My understanding here is that TEHN aren't going to be the ones creating the requests. These would be from those needing help. However, you do need TEHN to do their background checks to ensure the claims are genuine, and I believe they've done this effectively in the past. Or is there something else you're driving at, about the way they conduct their affairs that I'm missing?

akinsadeez:
Again, if you are gonna make it that the only people creating threads are the mods/selected mods, you are subjecting a lot of people's fate to the whims and caprices of a few. So if a person is genuinely needy but doesn't know how to get in touch with a mod, or even gets in touch with one of them but the said mod disbelieves his story, are you saying that is the end for him/her?

[s] let me give an example. A young man was desperately in need of 30,000 naira recently. He wrote to so many celebrities online but they all ignored/disbelieved him except Don jazzy who paid the money into his account. Now lets imagine that the celebrities who did not believe his story were the mods/super mods on Nairaland. That means his case is closed.[/s]

I said no such thing.

Again, the mods do not create the requests. They simply create threads for requests already passed onto, and vetted by TEHN. Whether you like it or not, the fact remains that no one plucks money from trees. There are many donors out there who can only afford to render a minimal, one-off help to someone and would most certainly find it discouraging if they discover that the person they thought they were helping turns out to be nothing other than a fake.

There really is no need for you to give me examples, because for every example you produce, I can easily pull out 2 or 3 counteractive examples of fakes / scams that succeeded in fleecing innocent helpers. Who wants to be taken for a mugu?

akinsadeez:
I think the OP here was advocating about creating a section that can reach across to people irrespective of who they are but the Tehn people maybe due to preexisting issues have hijacked it and turned it into a TEHN v Seun thread. Someone even asked whether Seun wants TEHN on nairaland or not? smh

Well, I don't know about that, neither is it my place to speculate on matters that detract from the issues on ground. Like I stated in my very first post, I think it's a good idea. A brilliant one at that. However, checks must be put in place to prevent the unscrupulous from taking advantage of the unsuspecting, thereby "blocking the way" for others out there who really, really, do need that help.

1 Like

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 7:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
Them no go see that one na...
chibwike:
wow

Btw:
Hehehehehe... e still dey scratch you ni... e never bite you! keep at it!!!! Ntor!!!! grin
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 24, 2014
Plz i have been reading that word. "TEHN"
What deos it stand for and its objective?
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by chibwike(m): 7:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
shoefreak:
Them no go see that one na...

Btw:
Hehehehehe... e still dey scratch you ni... e never bite you! keep at it!!!! Ntor!!!! grin
i dont really get you.
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Gboliwe: 7:58pm On Oct 24, 2014
chisco82:
Plz i have been reading that word. "TEHN"
What deos it stand for and its objective?

T- the
E- e
H- helpers
N- network
(The e-helpers network) its a group of e-members with a common goal of helping.
I see that a link answering your 2nd question that was posted has been hidden but just stroll to the first page of the Nairaland General section and you will see a thread for you to understand them better.

1 Like

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by akinsadeez(m): 8:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
Gboliwe:

TEHN was borne out of the various threads of people seeking help here on nairaland. Most users here are Nigerians and without mincing words, a good number of Nigerians are corrupt and wouldn't bat an eyelid defrauding others. Some are good at story telling, some are good at crying, point is, there isn't much we/i could do for these users because my first instinct as a Nigerian is "them don come again" but once I see a need verified, I for one I am certain the one is really in need. That is what TEHN sought to achieve. They didn't hijack anything

Maybe you didn't view the thread from the beginning. Seun's refusal to immediately sanction the creation of a charity section was taken as a direct antagonism against TEHN which makes me ask again, are we creating a TEHN section or a charity section?
Your decision to donate to only TEHN verified cases is yours and yours alone. I personally don't buy that view. if I feel and I am convinced that a person is genuinely in need, I help. The onus is on the person who is in need to convince me. I don't believe that every case must compulsorily be routed through TEHN. If that is the case, then there is actually no need to create a different section because TEHN is working very well as it is presently. People who need urgent help would be better served being able to create a thread directly instead of having to compulsorily go through the long process of TEHN.
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
chibwike:
i dont really get you.
that wasn't meant for you, thus the btw and d space... smiley
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 24, 2014
Won't it better to go through that 'long' process than hurry it along and be scammed. People feign poverty, school issh just for charity.

akinsadeez:

People who need urgent help would be better served being able to create a thread directly instead of having to compulsorily go through the long process of TEHN.

1 Like

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
Gboliwe:

T- the
E- e
H- helpers
N- network
(The e-helpers network) its a group of e-members with a common goal of helping.
I see that a link answering your 2nd question that was posted has been hidden but just stroll to the first page of the Nairaland General section and you will see a thread for you to understand them better.
Thanks so much bro. God bless you.
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 24, 2014
akinsadeez:

Maybe you didn't view the thread from the beginning. Seun's refusal to immediately sanction the creation of a charity section was taken as a direct antagonism against TEHN which makes me ask again, are we creating a TEHN section or a charity section?
Your decision to donate to only TEHN verified cases is yours and yours alone. I personally don't buy that view. if I feel and I am convinced that a person is genuinely in need, I help. The onus is on the person who is in need to convince me. I don't believe that every case must compulsorily be routed through TEHN. If that is the case, then there is actually no need to create a different section because TEHN is working very well as it is presently. People who need urgent help would be better served being able to create a thread directly instead of having to compulsorily go through the long process of TEHN.

The reason why we are in support of TEHN is because they have people on the fields investigating legitimate cases.
If you want to donate money to anyone opening a thread on Nairaland asking for help, it is your choice to help the person. You can navigate this forum and come up with hundred cases of people asking for Help.

However, many of us would love to help people through a reliable channel. As much as we want to help, we would hate been scammed. And so far, TEHN has done a great job in doing what they do. I wouldn't hesitate to send my money to TEHN. I truly don't see the reason to open a door to scammers.

Trust me, it is not a good idea to invite just any charity organization on Nairaland.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Gboliwe: 8:13pm On Oct 24, 2014
akinsadeez:

I didn't say all cases must be routed through TEHN but I did imply that TEHN has helped me channel my resources better. I have helped one or two nairalanders here financially who weren't TEHN verified. I did that because I was convinced they needed the help. But, whatever it was that made me so sure may not convince you or another individual. But when a neutral third party verifies the claim, most people will be convinced.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by chibwike(m): 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
shoefreak:
that wasn't meant for you, thus the btw and d space... smiley
you would have quoted the person that u were referring to...or re u managing space
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Gboliwe: 8:17pm On Oct 24, 2014
chisco82:

Thanks so much bro. God bless you .

A mighty biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggg Amen!

1 Like

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 24, 2014
akinsadeez:

Your decision to donate to only TEHN verified cases is yours and yours alone. I personally don't buy that view. if I feel and I am convinced that a person is genuinely in need, I help. The onus is on the person who is in need t[b][/b]o convince me. I don't believe that every case must compulsorily be routed through TEHN. If that is the case, then there is actually no need to create a different section because TEHN is working very well as it is presently. People who need urgent help would be better served being able to create a thread directly instead of having to compulsorily go through the long process of TEHN.
I don't see any issue on these. The charity section should be created but let TeHN varify every case and if satify with good reason the person willing to help will then go ahead and render his/her help directly to the needy or if he choose to go through TeHN due to distance barrier, then is upto him/her.
This will help us avoid scams.
But TeHN must come up with evidence of true and unbias verifications.
My opinions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by akinsadeez(m): 8:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
TheCongo:

If you want to donate money to anyone opening a thread on Nairaland asking for help, it is your choice to help the person. You can navigate this forum and come up with hundred cases of people asking for Help.

That exactly is my point. The choice of who to help is mine and mine alone. Just like others have testified, there are people who have helped those in need on Nairaland outside TEHN threads.

By creating a charity section and then making all the threads to be tehn verified, you are more or less taking away that choice. The implication that you raise is that every thread outside the charity section is a fraud. That is very wrong. I still insist that that is just a charity section in name alone, it is in fact a TEHN section in deed.

It seems y'all arent getting my point. If we are gonna create a charity section, we should make it open. This means that there will be TEHN threads there as well as independent threads of those who need help. If there is someone like you who only feels happy helping those who are tehn verified, then he/she goes to the TEHN threads in the charity section and donates.
Now if there is someone else like me who sees an independent thread in that same charity section which he feels convinced by; then he helps the person. Simple.

The essence of a charity section should be to bring together all those who need help literally 'under the same roof'. This means both TEHN verified and non TEHN verified claims. Then it is left to the person donating to make his choice. Otherwise, let us maintain the status quo.

TheCongo:

Trust me, it is not a good idea to invite just any charity organization on Nairaland.

Really? why is that? If you have an open charity section, you can have a situation where genuine well known charities can come and open threads and over time their works will speak loudly. Nairalanders aren't gullible.

Lets always remeber that TEHN also started from somewhere and the charity section is bigger than TEHN, not the other way round!

3 Likes

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Busybody2(f): 9:35pm On Oct 24, 2014
^^^What is this one saying nitori Olorun

Where in this thread did you see any TEHN representative state they want to handle the verification for this newly proposed charity thread

Learn to read between the lines jeez...once upon a time, TEHN a heaven sent blessing happened to Nairaland...BUT Seun wants TEHN disbanded and wants to pull the plug on TEHN and is saying Nairalanders should INSTEAD, INDIVIDUALLY give to their neighbours and friends and post pictures on Nairaland.

So Mr Akinsadeez, Seun has explicitly stated on this thread that he wants this DIY approach so hope you can see his proposal does not need TEHN so why are you getting your knickers in a twist. Na wah for people and their upside down reading and assimilation skills :-/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by edwife(f): 9:40pm On Oct 24, 2014
I think it is a good idea,why don't we try first and see the outcomes.
This gonna be hard work for the team,but with dedication it is achievable .
I just hope we will not have to deal with scammers,except that I am in.
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
Na space managing things ooo... grin
chibwike:
you would have quoted the person that u were referring to...or re u managing space

In another news!!! I see scamming.... small scale, middle scale, even large scale sef... make I dey look una! I kuku sabi how to say 'kotan ndie' in many languages... even in nairalandic grin
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by chibwike(m): 10:08pm On Oct 24, 2014
shoefreak:
Na space managing things ooo... grin

In another news!!! I see scamming.... small scale, middle scale, even large scale sef... make I dey look una! I kuku sabi how to say 'kotan ndie' in many languages... even in nairalandic grin
Am just getting to know you...you re quite funny....dats btw sha...lemme not derail

1 Like

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
Seun:
In thine land - thine street, thine village, thine place of work - not thine Internet!!
the internet has become another means of reaching out to people the last time i checked undecided

1 Like

Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by Busybody2(f): 10:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
Seun:
Try reading the first post

No need to go fixing what ain't broke...

I am sure many people with their heads screwed on the right way, would rather prefer to flick through the newspaper/tune into a radio station/log on to Nairaland/etc to see or read or hear "[size=5pt]TEHN[/size], a Charity organisation on Nairaland, raised N10M for charity" rather than "an olosho who privately does back for ground business lunch, but publicly claims it's all hardwork, brought a spaceship for N24M" :-/

Anyway what do I know ehn
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by fidira(f): 10:27pm On Oct 24, 2014
Seun I hope you are happy now you have banned everybody everywhere is so boring and as for the charity section I think its a good idea tho
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by subzidi: 10:37pm On Oct 24, 2014
Wow! I didn't know this post has generated a lot of debate thus far. I think most of us are saying the same thing but from different perspectives. Akinsazeez more like xrays my thought ie not saying it should be restricted to TEHN executives rather they could contribute their quota by verifying cases at the end of day it's an open field both verified/un verified cases which individual helper/s can carry out themselves.
@Seun yes thou shall help thy neighbours at thy land/internet inclusive. Someone like me enjoys the anonymity the internet affords and that does not mean I do not help people around me! At the end of the day your site your decision.
Whatever be the case, PEACE to all!!

@r231 sorry I can't see the mail you sent to me as I can't get around how email notification here works in terms of how to access it worse still I can't remember the email account. If you can put your message on this thread I can assure you I will read/act on it.
Thanks
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by akinsadeez(m): 11:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
Busybody2:
^^^What is this one saying nitori Olorun

Where in this thread did you see any TEHN representative state they want to handle the verification for this newly proposed charity thread

Whaaaat! This is simply laughable.

Na wa for these people who just rush to comment without properly reading through the thread. grin
Re: Set-up Of Charity Section by akinsadeez(m): 11:58pm On Oct 24, 2014
subzidi:
Wow! I didn't know this post has generated a lot of debate thus far. I think most of us are saying the same thing but from different perspectives. Akinsadeez more like xrays my thought ie not saying it should be restricted to TEHN executives rather they could contribute their quota by verifying cases at the end of day it's an open field both verified/un verified cases which individual helper/s can carry out themselves.
@Seun yes thou shall help thy neighbours at thy land/internet inclusive. Someone like me enjoys the anonymity the internet affords and that does not mean I do not help people around me! At the end of the day your site your decision.
Whatever be the case, PEACE to all!!

@r231 sorry I can't see the mail you sent to me as I can't get around how email notification here works in terms of how to access it worse still I can't remember the email account. If you can put your message on this thread I can assure you I will read/act on it.
Thanks

@ the bolded
At least someone understands what I have been trying to make them see.
Shalom!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SEX Swingers Club Registration / Cancer Is Endangering The Life Of My Mother. Help!!! / For Men Only: Who Actually Are You Working For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.