Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? (13313 Views)

How Many Blocks And Bags Of Cement Will Completed 3 Bedroom Flat Foundation. / Glass Blocks For Sale At Good Price / Average Number Of Blocks For A 4 Bedroom Bungalow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by koning: 1:36pm On Oct 21, 2014
I am in the middle of constructing a 5 bedroom duplex. While watching buildings in the Western world, i have noticed that they use mostly light materials to construct the upper floors.
Some use just wood, others majority glass combined with little conctrete, while some others use just light bricks. So why do we always use 9 inch blocks in Nigeria ?

My plan is to use 6 inch blocks for all walls, outer and inner. That way, the rooms will be more spacious.

So Spyder and other builders here, What do you think ?
Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by FastShipping: 1:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
I don't see anything wrong with it. It is all about choice.
Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by eghosajohnny: 1:52pm On Oct 21, 2014
In nigeria we have being made to believe that constructing in this manner is good cause of the type of soil we have and weather controll the area of using wood is something that won't work here considering the heat while in the area of block it resisit the suns heat and balances the weather from being too cold so on building with 6inches is good cos the basic you need in constructing a storey building is the pillars not mainly the blocks so if you want to build with the 6inch compesate the pillar area and also the ratio of casting the concrete.

If in any way you need the services of a builder in construction you can call on the folloing contacts below.

Calls and whatsapp:07014709098
27afc1c0
Johnontop14@yahoo.com

Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by doctorgold(m): 2:03pm On Oct 21, 2014
I believe you have structural drawings for that project. Your columns actually bear the load of the roof, the building itself and every other load associated with it. So, your blocks jst serve as a covering for the inerior space. So, 6 inches block isnt bad.
Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by koning: 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
FastShipping:
I don't see anything wrong with it. It is all about choice.

Thanks, bro. I thought as much. It's the builder that was insisting on using 9 inch blocks for the outer wall. I am of the opinion that 6 inch blocks will do. I will go ahead and use 6 inch blocks.
Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by koning: 5:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
@eghosajohnny, i will contact you as soon as i arrive Lagos. I would probably need another builder to finish the construction. The location is Lagos.

Your tip on fortifying the columns is well taken.
Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by salisismail: 6:41pm On Dec 04, 2020
Very okay. 6 inches provide a wider space than the 9 inches
Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by Yinka116: 10:05pm On Feb 28, 2022
I support what everyone as been saying concern the uses of 6inchs block to construct a building without mix it with 9inchs blocks, sure the 6inchs is enough since it not the bricks that carried load, it's the column and the beams that carried the load and secondly also depends on the results you got after the soil test to determine the kind of foundation to be use and structural drawings will also be helpful as,

But mind you, weather you use 6inchs blocks or 9inchs block you will still get the same space, because everything will design and started on the architectural drawing.

Thank you
Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by abuuthmaan: 5:57am On Dec 06, 2023
Yinka116:
I support what everyone as been saying concern the uses of 6inchs block to construct a building without mix it with 9inchs blocks, sure the 6inchs is enough since it not the bricks that carried load, it's the column and the beams that carried the load and secondly also depends on the results you got after the soil test to determine the kind of foundation to be use and structural drawings will also be helpful as,

But mind you, weather you use 6inchs blocks or 9inchs block you will still get the same space, because everything will design and started on the architectural drawing.

Thank you

Please, are you sure about getting the same space whether 9 or 6 inches?
Re: Advice Needed ; Is It OK To Use 6inch Blocks For The Entire Top Floor ? by MRFIXER001: 9:55am On Dec 06, 2023
1. You can't get the same space because the size of 6" block differs from the size of 9" block. 6 or 9" doesn't matter if you are after getting the exact dimensions on the drawing. But if you need extra 3" more space you can get 6".

6" on the first floor doesn't mean it didn't carry load there are various types of load when it comes to construction; roof load, wind load also exist.

The question you should rather ask is Why use 6" when the cost difference is just #40-#30?

The life of those that will live in the structure depends on the quality of the structure, why not go for the best? You really don't know how many block those block industry use 1 bag of cement to produce all in the name of making profit.
abuuthmaan:

Please, are you sure about getting the same space whether 9 or 6 inches?

(1) (Reply)

Basic Guide To Buying Land In Lagos / Building within Island, Ikoyi, V.i, Lekki, Ajah? / BEACH HAVEN PHASE 2. Beachfront Estate Strictly For Commercial Purpose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.