Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

I’m A Feminist, And I Converted To Islam - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I’m A Feminist, And I Converted To Islam (589 Views)

My Nigeian Wife Knows I’m A Robber – Liberian Refugee / “i’m A Fan, But He Doesn’t Like Me” - Davido Talks About Wizkid To Olisa Adibua / "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Nollywood Actress Speaks Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m A Feminist, And I Converted To Islam by festyitiswell: 7:37am On Oct 22, 2014
I am a Muslim, but I wasn’t always. I converted to Islam in November 2001, two months after 9/11.
I was 21 and living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It was a bad time to be a Muslim. But after four years of studying, poking and prodding at world religions and their adherents, I decided to take the plunge. [url]READ MORE [/url]http://festiveinspire.com/im-a-feminist-and-i-converted-to-islam/

http://festiveinspire.com/im-a-feminist-and-i-converted-to-islam/

Re: I’m A Feminist, And I Converted To Islam by naijarates(m): 9:38am On Oct 22, 2014
Good for u.
Re: I’m A Feminist, And I Converted To Islam by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 22, 2014
Congratulation
Re: I’m A Feminist, And I Converted To Islam by vicadex07(m): 12:52pm On Oct 22, 2014
Its just like saying you're a vegetarian but you sell meat for a living

1 Like

Re: I’m A Feminist, And I Converted To Islam by Question01(m): 7:31pm On Oct 22, 2014
I have a problem with her conversion story. There is just so much missing, especially if by 'Islam' she mean the religion practiced by 1.6 billion
people.

She said tolerance, justice are characters that drew her in. But these characters can be observed among the non muslims of the west than muslims of middle east. For instance, she was able to change here faith and even announce it without a scratch. Doing this in the middle east will earn you instant execution. This is part of their Islamic teachings. Additionally, in the west, more and more Mosques are built, this is tolerated. In the middle east, building new Churches is strictly prohibited according to the Muslims and their Islamic teachings.

She also stated that Islam 's appeal to intellect won her over. As an ex-orthodox muslim(am still muslim but now unorthodox), i can confidently state that mainstream/orthodox Islam frowns upon rationality in religious matters. That is why most muslims are unwilling to subject their doctrines to rationality, hence their dogmatism.

She said also mentioned women rights. Since her understanding of Islam is what is practiced by 1.6 million followers, lets ask a question?
What then explains the presence of Muslim feminists and Liberals? If you meet double dealing Muslims who are seeking for converts they 'll deceive you into thinking mainstream Islam championed throughout the sharia states is a women empowering religion. What many are ignorant of is that in the so called sharia law, highly restrict women to homes. That is why untill recently saudi women had no right to vote and cannot even drive to pick their kids from school to this day. For the same reason, Saudi the so called model Islamic state barred women from university education until the 50s. According to sharia law, the Salat/Prayer of a man is nullified if a pig, donkey or woman passes his front. Similarly, it is permitted to marry female children and consumate it before puberty. That aside, it is permissible to rape female captives. All these and more are parcel of mainstream Islamic teachings that 'll put off a true feminist.

You see, i am also a feminist, a liberal but from my expertise in mainstream Islamic teachings, the West kick ass when it comes tolerance, justice, women empowerment far more than the middle eastern ideology this lady embraced without in-depth research.

Am not condemning Islam, in fact am a muslim but not the typical muslim you meet. As i believe that mainstream Christianity is a severely distorted version of Christ 's teachings, i believe mainstream Islam is a severely distorted version of Muhammad 's teachings, lacking in any of the merits this convert has listed.

Peace onto you. Be consumed by the flames of truth. Be relieved of you thirst for truth. Learn about the system of God(Islam);

Quranic Path
True Islam
International Quranic Center
Free Minds
Flames Of Truth

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Serious Money With Google Adsense / How Has Airtel Network Been In Ur Area Since Morning / Dismissed Police Officer Earned Salaries From 15 Different Commands, Stole N20m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.